Part 10

A Phoenix Cry

After having everything sorted out with the company and the doctors, Kihyun finds himself being driven home in the wee hours of early morning. He has no idea for how long he was in that hospital… All he knows for now is that the sunset is so terribly beautiful, painting the horizon with endless colors as they drive into the countryside.

“Once you’re feeling better,” his mother says from the driver’s seat, “I’ll tell the boys, and they can all come over for a visit.” Kihyun glances over at her with all the energy he has left. His breathing is labored, and his entire body is a damp mess as the human side of him tries to fight off the fever.

“Thank you, Eomma,” he says, his voice a strained whisper. She looks over to him, and he tries his best for a smile, though it hurts to make any sort of expression with his chapped lips. He flops his head back towards the window, imagining the sun to be his beloved’s smile looking down at him to ease his pain…

 

None of the boys feel right about returning to the dorm that night. They all pile up on the sectional, and cuddle with one another. But, it doesn’t feel the same, as their best isn’t with them. Hoseok glances over absentmindedly at the shoe rack, noting with detached interest how messy the area is. If Kihyun were there with them, they’d all have gotten an earful… But, he isn’t with them. Not anymore.

“We’ll visit soon,” Minhyuk pipes up at last, his raspy voice hardened by travesty. “He’ll get better in no time, and we’ll be visiting him before we know it.”

“Stop lying, hyung.” Changkyun then stands from the couch and shuffles off towards the bedrooms, pulling the hood of his jacket up to hide his tear-stained cheeks. The others watch him go, each feeling more and more guilty with each step he takes. Jooheon waits only a moment before going after him, excusing himself with a quiet murmur.

Minhyuk presses his lips together in a thin line, and he follows Jooheon’s example. Hyungwon clings to Hoseok as they leave, as well, sparing only a questioning glance at Hyunwoo. Their leader only gives them a short nod, and they go on their way.

 

Hyunwoo sits there, staring at the coffee table with a vacant gaze. He remembers the last time he’d helped Kihyun clean that table, how it’d been almost like a scene out of a drama. Kihyun, glancing over at him with that brilliant smile of his, and Hyunwoo, his heart hammering as a nervous blush creeps across his cheeks. No matter how many times Kihyun would look at him with that smile of pure happiness, it always had a way of setting Hyunwoo’s face ablaze.

My Kihyunnie… Hyunwoo thinks, sniffling a little as he pulls a spare blanket onto his own shoulders. It smells like his boyfriend, and his heart aches dully as he finally allows the tears to flow freely down from his eyes. He sobs into the blanket, breathing in heavily the younger man’s scent, as he tries to fathom all that’s happened that terrible, terrible night.

 

Kihyun actually improves a little before the worst of it hits him. He’s actually able to walk around the house on his own, and his mother dares to hope… but then it all falls apart.

The next day, it’s almost as if he can feel his organs actually shutting down. His skin is peeling off, like he’s molting, and his hair is falling out at an incredible speed. It takes too much energy to even breathe, each breath growing harder and harder to come by than the last. He finds himself just wanting it all to end, if for no other reason than to keep his mother having to watch this happen to someone else she loves.

 

A week passes, a new text coming from the other members with a wish of well-being. They also tell him all that’s happening in the dorm, and it’s honestly the only source of joy Kihyun comes even close to comprehending.

Kkungie: Minhyuk-hyung and I are doing the cooking for now, hyung~ When you get better, we’ll be sure to make something delicious for you~!!!! <3 ^^*

Min: Jooheonney and Wonnie have taken over doing the laundry for the time being… but please get better soon cause Wonnie has no idea what he’s doing ㅋㅋㅋㅋ

Hoseok: Kihyunniiieeeeeeeee, Moongie’s ramyeon is so watery compared to yours ;u; Come home soon so you can make me delicious food~!!!

Wonnie: I can make you delicious food, hyung~~~~

Hoseok: ……..

Hoseok: Kihyunnie, come home soon so you can make me delicious food~~~~

Wonnie: …. Why do I put up with this abuse…. :/

Yeobo <3: Kihyunnie, I miss you. Please get better soon so you don’t ever have to fall asleep along again <3

Kihyun doesn’t bother mustering up the strength to answer many of the messages he receives from his dear friends and bandmates, but Hyunwoo is the exception, as he’s always been. He always answers the older, assuring him that he’ll get better soon, and that they all can come visit.

Both men know it’s a lie, but neither admit it.

 

Finally, on one especially hard day, Kihyun’s mother sits beside him, reading to him and watching whatever he wants to watch. He knows he’s dying, he knows there’s no way around it… He knows this is the absolute end. Although… not the absolute end, as he will be reborn and all… but this is the end for this life, and it feels about the same.

He hopes he’ll remember this lifetime, and that he’ll be able to use it as a reminder to not get emotionally attached to anyone in his next human life.

“Eomma…” Kihyun breathes out, wincing at the sound of his own chocked voice. The woman leans closer, grasping his hand tightly as her gaze wavers. “I… I need to say goodbye to them. To him. Please, can we have them over tomorrow?”

“Are you sure you can handle the excitement, Kihyunnie?” she asks softly, her face so close her warm breath tickles his nose. He nods, and she doesn’t even hesitate to agree. She kisses him on the forehead, and pulls away to dial his manager’s number on her phone to set it up. Kihyun drifts off into a peaceful slumber, his slow heartbeat growing steady as he thinks that he’ll finally be able to see Hyunwoo soon.