Bonus Chapter

A Phoenix Cry

Ye ask and ye shall receive, lol. I was messaged about posting the bonus chapter, so here it is for y'all~ This was originally going to be the ending, but I couldn't bring myself to make it the 'official' one in the end. It's set before chapter 12, before Kihyun knows he can heal himself... Enjoy~! ^^*

 

The first day after had been hard, and the day after, and then the day after that.

But, Hyunwoo doesn’t expect that to change any time soon, if ever.

He stands at the mouth of a hole in the ground, which is just big enough for the casket being lowered into it. He stares at it numbly. He feels a wet sensation on the top of his head, but doesn’t bother looking up. It’s been cloudy ever since that cursed day, the worst day of his life, and he doesn’t expect it to let up any time soon.

“Thank you all for coming today,” Kihyun’s mother says from somewhere to his left. The others around him hum in acknowledgment, and say that there’s nowhere else they’d even imagine being today. Hyunwoo can’t speak, can’t even think.

The love of his life has left him, for good.

He used to think after No.Mercy had failed to tear them apart that absolutely nothing would do so. He’d been so wrong, so terribly wrong.

There’s a hand on his shoulder, and he finally glances away to see Hoseok trying to give him a sympathetic smile though it really comes off as saddened and pained. Hyunwoo appreciates the gesture anyway. Or, at least, he knows he’s supposed to appreciate the gesture. He tries to bring himself to smile in return, but he can’t quite manage it.

He’d always been called the robot of MONSTA X, but now he knows what it truly feels like to be such.

It takes too much effort to make even the slightest of expressions. Any positive emotion feels wrong, so insensitive, as if he’s betraying the man in the ground somehow.

Hyunwoo looks back down at the casket, now fully set in the open grave.

A shrill bird cry echoes across the cemetery from the sky, and suddenly there’s a sharp pair of talons digging into Hyunwoo’s shoulder. He glances over with delayed surprise to find a magnificent red bird with varying shades of feathers and cunning brown eyes staring almost consolingly at him.

The look makes Hyunwoo’s heart stop mid-beat, it feeling oddly familiar. His mouth goes dry, his blood roaring in his ears as he realizes just where he’d felt such a caring gaze before.

Kihyunnie

He raises a single hand, and offers out a finger. The bird willingly complies, allowing the man to pet the top of its head.

For the first time since his love’s death, he feels the slightest of smiles tugging at his lips.

The bird leans back its head, opens its beak, and let’s loose the most beautiful song Hyunwoo has ever heard… Well, the second most beautiful. It’s nothing compared to Kihyun’s beautiful vocals. The bird stares at him after its cry, a knowing light to its eyes.

“I think he likes you,” Kihyun’s mother comments. He turns to see a rueful smile pulling at her lips, and he can only hum in response. “That was Kihyun’s, you know. You’re more than welcome to take him with you. I’m sure he’d be happier with you than with me.”

“I couldn’t—”

“I insist.”

Hyunwoo presses his lips together, unable to argue with the woman.

“We’ve got to go,” Hongsik’s voice suddenly says from behind. He and the rest of the Starship posse that had come to say their goodbyes stand with solemn expressions, and begin to disperse towards the line of black vehicles. Hyunwoo glances back down where his love lies, and gulps back the tears as he shuffles away. He absentmindedly pets the bird some more, feeling a sense of comfort from touching it.

It reminds him of Kihyun, though for what reason he’s unsure. But, he doesn’t question it for now, as he’s just happy to have some small part of the younger, no matter the source.

As if hearing his thoughts, the bird nuzzles against the side of his head, almost as if to say that it’ll be there for Hyunwoo no matter what…