Part 4

A Phoenix Cry

“Kihyunnie,” a gentle, low voice calls to him. Kihyun hums in acknowledgment, not quite wanting to wake up. He feels a hand being pressed to his forehead, and his name is called again, this time a bit more urgently.  

“Kihyun-ah, wake up.” Kihyun breathes in deeply, stretching his limbs. He isn't quite ready to start the day, though he knows he should. After all, how else would the boys get their breakfast?  

Kihyun slowly opens his eyes, smiling up at Hyunwoo’s concerned frown.  

“Good morning, hyung,” he murmurs sleepily, not yet fully registering the older's expression. He's too full of the warm fuzziness that comes with waking up next to your love that he can't really process much else.  

“Kihyun-ah,” Hyunwoo says slowly, “I think you’re sick again…” 

“What?” Kihyun demands, his boyfriend’s words making him immediately alert. He feels his own forehead. It feels a bit warmer than usual, but nothing to worry about. It isn't as if he's dizzy or anything. He sighs, shaking his head. “I'm fine, hyung,” he says. “I'm probably just a little warm from sleeping next to you all night. You are like a personal heater.” Kihyun gets up from the bed, albeit a bit slower than normal, the older’s worry making him paranoid.   

“If you say so,” Hyunwoo mumbles. He gets up as well, pushing his glasses onto his face as he runs a hand through his hair. “I wish you'd check your temperature, though. It'd give me peace of mind.” Kihyun bites back a sigh, nodding in agreement as Hyunwoo disappears into the bathroom. Kihyun then moves to the kitchen, resolving to just tell the older that he did as he asked. A little white lie won't hurt anything, especially during comeback week. Kihyun can't afford to be offstage right now, not for anything.  

 

After sharing a rushed breakfast, the boys hurry off to do their schedules. It's another hectic day, but none of them of them really mind. They've always believed it to be better to live a life busily. After all, they get to see Monbebe, and to them, there aren't many things better than that.  

 

They return to the dorm in the early hours of morning, all so tired they can barely even make it to the bedrooms before passing out. Kihyun had planned to sleep in Hyunwoo's room again that night, it being much more comfortable than his own bed, but changes his mind last minute. He doesn't need the older questioning his health again.  

It isn't that he doesn't appreciate Hyunwoo's worry for him, but he doesn't want his boyfriend to become too paranoid about him and report it to the managers. Everyone is trying so hard just to get first place in a music show this comeback... He doesn't need to drag everyone down. 

He falls asleep that night after some tossing and turning, thankful that the others in the room are too tired to be up to any funny business.  

 

That night, he has the dream again.  

He's standing at a cliff, flames making their way up to him. He tries to run away, tries to find some way out. Finally, he thinks he's lost them. He ends up running into the dorm, breathing heavily and sweat dripping from his brow. He looks around for his fellow members, calling their names.  

Just as he thinks he's the only one there, Hyunwoo calls to him. He frowns confusedly, moving towards the older's voice. He follows it to the kitchen, where his hyung is standing over the stove. Hyunwoo turns, grinning benevolently at the younge as he pours oil into the skillet. Kihyun can't help but chuckle at the sight of Hyunwoo cooking, it being such a rare thing in the dorm for anyone to cook but himself. He makes as if to offer his help, but his feet are frozen in place. 

"Hyung," he murmurs questioningly, glancing down at his feet. He then looks back up at Hyunwoo, and shouts out in terror at what he sees. 

"Kihyunnie," Hyunwoo says slowly, his voice pained. Fire leaps from the stove, consuming Hyunwoo in only a moment. Kihyun screams, trying to move but is unable to.  

The only thing he can do is fall to his knees, tears streaming down his cheeks as he watches his lover be consumed by the flames. 

 

"Hyung!" Kihyun shouts, breathing heavily. He looks around wildly, sitting up as he tries to remember where he is.  

"Kihyun-hyung," Changkyun groans, clearly annoyed at the older. "If you're going to have wet dreams about Hyunwoo-hyung, go to his room. Otherwise, please shut up and let us sleep." 

"Sorry, Changkyunnie," Kihyun murmurs, sighing as he tries to calm his frantic heart. He lies back down, staring up at the ceiling in the dim grey of morning. Images from the nightmare flash before him, and he shivers in terror. He sighs again, and descends from his bed. He knows he won't be getting anymore sleep, unfortunately.  

He goes to the bathroom, deciding to take a shower. He can feel the sweat nearly dripping off of him, as if he's just come from a dance practice and not a bad dream. His footsteps pause as he passes the door to Hyunwoo's room, his heart stuttering to a halt. 

Of course he's okay, Kihyun tells himself. It was only a nightmare. He takes a deep breath, nodding to himself as he continues on his way. However, he hasn't made it more than a few steps before turning back around and cracking the door open to peek in. He nods at seeing Hyunwoo asleep in his own bed, satisfied. It doesn't hurt just to check, he reasons, and then closes the door as he continues on his way.  

 

After taking a quick shower, Kihyun wipes the steam off the mirror, deciding to brush his teeth as well. He jolts back slightly, surprised at what he sees. Staring back at him is a young man with wet black hair and sunken in cheeks. Dark circles line the bottoms of his eyes, which seem much darker than usual. Kihyun shakes his head at his own appearance, rubbing at his face. His hands instinctively draw back at the heat coming off his skin. He glances down at his fingers, trying to come up with a reason for the reaction. 

His hands begin to shake, his mind filling with anxiety and fear. 

His eyes snap back to his reflection, unable to think of a different, more acceptable explanation for his obviously heightened body temperature and nightmare happening in one night.  

"Hyung," Chankgyun suddenly yawns out, causing Kihyun to jump surprisedly, "I need to pee." Kihyun looks over at the maknae, wondering how long he had been standing there. Changkyun blinks a couple times, as if trying to process what he's seeing. "Are you okay, hyung?" he asks, squinting at seeing the older's expression of utter terror. He had never seen someone look so scared, not even Jooheon's most alarmed face being able to compare. 

"Fine," Kihyun answers, his voice much huskier than usual. He clears his throat, realizing his tone, and hurries passed the younger. He doesn't want to be questioned right now, can't handle it.  

Changkyun watches him go, frowning in concern as he disappears back into their shared room.