Chapter 9 : Life's not a spectator sport

Love's Outing

 

Hell went down one month and a half after they arrived. They had to see it coming, really....But when it happened, Hyesung was definitly not prepared for this. 
It was noon at the ranch, and the young man was trying to cook something good whie standing awkwardly on a stool.
As the doctor did say Hyesung had to rest his legs for at least a few weeks, Hyesung was still exempted from farm work : which was not that bad of a thing, because that way, he had time to watch Junjin working with all those thight t-shirts he wore and that was becoming his favorite hobby these days besides writing and composing. 

Today, ehe decided to try and make something for Choongjae. He did look after little Sehee, but he was feeling bad for not doing more for the man. 
The thing was....Hyesung had not cooked for a long time, and even before that, he was not a very good cook. He was probably going to burn the chicken stew he was doing.... If only he could call Andy over to help, but as he was in Jeju doing who knew what with Eric, he had to do it anyway.

« You can't do this ! » 
He jumped as he heard Dongwan's voice from outside. 
What was going on ? The man fumbled to get to his feet, leaning on his crutches, when the door banged open, letting in three scary looking men in suits, as weel as the same rich-looking woman he saw the last time. Sehee's grandmother....
« What are you doing here ? »
The woman landed her cold hard gaze on like he was nothing but some kind of cockroach on which she could step on.
« Oh, so you're his latest toy. »
He hard Dongwan's voice from behind, as he squeezed past the strangers.
« You can't be here ! »
« I very well can, I was proof this house is still mine. I want to sell it. »
« It's totally ridiculous. »
Dongwan was thrown a bunch of very official looking papers as the woman explained.
« This ranch is mine, and when I've sold it to my son-in-law and my daughter to take over his grandparent's business, I was meaning to assure my daugther's future. Since they divorced, however, i'm in full right to sell this house, especially since the monthly rent has not been payed for a few months. »
Hyesung's was now standing in front of the men, trying his best to look menacing.

« That's bull, Jin's not even there. » 
« Hyesung... »
« No I'm not gonna... »
Dongwan was looking gloomy.
« It's real papers. They can do this in the name of the law. »
« Move out now. »
« No ! »
He knew he was nothing against twa tall and muscular men, but he tried anyway. He just couldn't was as this people were hurting Choongjae and his daughter.
He didn't expect one of the guys to push him that hard. He expected to fall over and hurt himself in the process, but he only felt strong arms around his waist.

Choongjae was back from the refuge, looking very, very mad. The cold kind of mad.
The men actually seemed too think again about their life choices. 
He helped Hyesung sit on the sofa, and stood before the two men.
« What did you make up this time ? »
« Man, you really won't like this but this time... We can't to anything about it ! »
« Wait, Dongwan, give me this. »
Hyesung had actually been to the university before debuting as Shinhwa to study law. Even if he didn't finish his diploma, he still had some kind of knowledge who could finally be useful.
He scanned the file for a long time until a clause caught his eyes.

« It says here that by the time the tenant knows about this warrant, he still has 30 days to pay the rent entirely to become the lawful owner of the house. »
« It's impossible for him to get that much money on suche a short notice... »
« How much is it ? »
« Exactly 12,000,000 won »
Atonished, Choongjae suddenly closed in on himself, probably thinking about how he was going to lose what he had worked so hard for.
« Okey, we'll have the money by the end of the month. »
« What are you saying ? »
« Yeah, we'll find a way. »
Dongwan was supporting him, standing protectively in front of the youngest.
« Now go. Okey ? »

The woman was seething with anger, but seeing that she couldn't do anything, she only smiled.
« Very well then... we'll come back. »
She gestured for her men to come out of the house, and suddenly, they were gone.


Now the thing was... He just couldn't let Choongjae down, where were they going to find the money ? 

[…]

The encounter with Se Young's mother had shaken up Choongjae. Hyesung still couldn't tell if the man was mad at him of not. 
Dongwan had left after promising to go pick up Sehee from school and take her to play with Minwoo. They had their night to themselves, and Hyesung was wondering how he was going to soothe the man's feelings. 
 
He was cooking some fried rice kimchi when he heard Junjin get out of his bedroom and opening the door to the patio. Slowly, he athered his crutches to go see him.
The man was sitting, his back facing him.
« Hey... » 
Hyesung crouched behind him and hugged him from behind, circling his shoulders with his arms. 
If Choongjae tensed at first, he slowly relaxed and took Hyesung hand in his, caressing it lightly.
« I'm sorry » Hyesung said....
« For what.... ? » 
« Well... I do think that since I came here, I've done nothing but bring disaster.... but also because I may have burned our diner.... »
That got a chuckle from Choongjae.
« It's fine, I think I still got some things from Andy's restaurant back there. »
He got up to face the older man, his expression soft and open.
« You don't have to feel sorry. I wouldn't even be able to stay here anymore if you hadn't been here. And...I think you're kind of a beautiful disaster at least. »
He was teasing, chuckling as Hyesung turned red and began fidgeting.
« You little rascal, really... »
They sat in companionable silence, listening to the sounds of nature. Finally...
« What are we going to do... ? »
Choongjae ran his hand through his hair.
« My father and my sister can lend me 3,000,000.... »
« That's already a lot. »
« But I don't have anything else I can do. »
Hyesung sighed. He himself didn't have the money to help his friend, as the company holded off of their earning. Minwoo had a little more, having invested an heritage in his bar. But while he was sure the man would help them, there was no way it could be enough. 

« I thought it was your grand parents house to be honest ...»
The man shook his head. 
« They lived somewhere else, in a little house. They had two horses and a little field which was just enough to feed them and to help them run the refuge.»
« You always were going to take over ? »
« Oh, no ! I lived with my father in Seoul. I even studied in a famous dance studio ! »
« You were a dancer ?! »
The man was left dumbfounded, he was not expecting this in any way. 

« Why didn't you tell me ? »
« Because it's a time of my life I'd rather forget about, honestly. »
« What happened ? »
The younger man was watching him intensely, as if he was debating whether or not to tell him. 
« Sometime after I met Se Young, we began to do very foolish things and I lost interest in dancing. One time, we stole my father's bike and went for a drive. We were drunk, and I lost control of the bike. We had an accident.»
The man took a deep breath.
« I broke my leg so badly I had to give up on my dream of making it pro. My father wanted to convince me to take up dance classes instead.» 
He began pacing. 
« But then Se Young was pregnant and my grandfather offered me to take over the business and that's how I came to live here. Seyoung's always wanted to take control over Seyoung's life. I never realised she wanted it so much...»
« Wow...»
Hyesung tried to get up, but ended up falling over in Jinnie's arms. This time though, it was what he had intended to. He hugged Chooongjae's large frame, treading his fingers through the man's hair, who relaxed greatly.

After this, they both decided they would not think about this for the evening. They finally ate the food given by Andy, even if Choongjae insisted on tasting Hyesung's food, which only brought laughter.
But as they watched a sappy drama on TV, Hyesung was sorting out an idea in his head. 

[...]

A few days after this, Hyesung went down in town without his crutches. He still was struggling with pain, but he could walk again, just like the doctor promised. Now, he had to take care of his physiotherapy and the biggest matter at hand. 
« Minwoo ? » 
Hyesung found the man he was searching for the city hall study, among piles of archives, looking conflicted. When he saw his friend, he smiled.
« Hey, Hyesung ! I see you're doing great ! Sit up ! » 
Sitting on one of the comfortable chairs, Hyesung noticed something about Minwoo. He was weird, looking tired but way too happy, even for him. 
« You look like crap »
« Thank you ! »
« What happened between you and Dongwan ? »
Bingo ! The man turned red immediately. 
« What do you mean ? » 
« You have an hickey on your neck.»
Minwoo slapped his head on his neck, looking mortified. 
« I don't blame you but if you keep this up, you're going to get your heart broken.» 
« You're one to talk... I dare you to tell me you're not feeling anything for Choongjae. »

They fell silent for some time, Hyesung reflecting on his own feeling. He knew he was physically attracted to Choongjae...but over time, it morphed into something completely different. Maybe was he looking as foolish as Minwoo was, actually....?
« We're screwed, aren't we ? » 
Taehak had warned him after his first message. The responses from the show too were extremely good too, but people were noticing the strangness of their relationship. Minwoo was right, they were all doomed. 
« Let's not think about this. I need your help. »

Hyesung exposed his plan throughoutly to his friend.
« Who would have known he was a dancer ? »
« What do you think ? »
« It could work but...a dance studio, here ? Would people agree to come here ?»
Hyesung fidgeted a little. 
« Well, I've thought about it. Jeju's doesn't have any dance studios. It could be a concept, and we're not far enough for them to not come.»
« People have to know about it though. »
« That's where we come in. We should organize a dance gala to attract sponsors. It would be the perfect way to prove Choongjae's worth as a dance instructor.»
« Didn't you say he didn't dance for a decade ? How is supposed to do this within a month ?»
« I know you can help him...better, we use this as my physiotherapy too and we could prepare something together. » 
Minwoo's eyes twinkled, and Hyesung knew he had won over his competitive side. 
« Very well, I'll get Eric to help. It'll be hard to convince Jin, but I'm counting on you !»