Chapter 4 : I have made the decision to trust you.

Love's Outing

POV Dongwan

 

The night had been quite busy for Dongwan. He had almost forgotten that the people he had accepted to house for three months for some kind of show arrived today when Choongjae called him on the way to the airport.

As he got the chance to think about it, he realised he had agreed to something who would give me even more work, as if he didn't have enough already.

The village did need more exposition to the public and more hands on the deck to help, but those people didn't even know what hard work was like, how where they going to be of any help ?

 

He had chosen Minwoo to help him in his duties anyway. As he had to work with children and elders, he needed someone sweet, with a pleasant character. Hyesung was way too shy, and Eric way too chic, but while the man had been really nice, he still was doubtful of his capacity to work as a caretaker with him.

« We shall see, anyway. »

It was only three monts, after all. He always could put him somewhere he wouldn't obstruct with their work.

 

He was a little more serene as he drifted to a restless sleep. Many years ago, he wouldn't have worried so much about someone who seemed to want nothing but to give happiness to others. But years of management of an entire village had taken a toll on him.

 

 

 

Dongwan opened his eyes as the sun started to filter through the curtains. Still half asleep, he wasn 't thinking about anything as he took a very warm shower and got dressed … but when he came back in his room and saw the time on his alarm clock, he almost fainted.

« What ?! 10 am?? »

He totally overslept. It had not happened to him since his school days. For almost ten years, he was up at 7 am, everyday of the week. It was true he was kind of tired these days. He hadn't slept well for a few days, but he didn't realise it was this bad.

 

Minwoo ! He had to wake him up too ! What a bad first impression, when he was talking about the importance of hard work the night before !

He scampered to Minwoo's own room, and knocked.

« Minwoo-shii ? Are you awake ? We have to go…. ? »

No response, no sound behind the door. Concerned, he finally decided to enter the room.

It was empty, except for Minwoo's truck, and his empty bed. He was not showering either. Now, Dongwan was definitely worried now. Where could he have gone ?

 

He was ready to go search for the man when he found a note at the desk, with his name on it. Curious, he fetched it.

 

Dongwan-shii,

 

As you were not up, I figured you were tired, I went to city hall alone to help. Please take your time and catch up some sleep !

 

Later,

Minwoo.

 

It was...nice… but he was kind of mad the man didn't wake him up. Who knows what he could be up to ?

He had to go to the city hall to see for himself.

 

 

The city hall was buzzing with animation when he entered the place. It was a large building used for school, administration of the village, and for the community cafeteria, which offered a cheap meal for lonely people and the one who couldn't afford to eat at home. A woman was sitting at the front desk, welcoming the helpers and townspeople.

« Oh, hello Mi Hwi-noona. I'm REALLY sorry I overslept. Did some new helper come here ? »

« Oh, yeah, actually he's helping at the cafeteria right now. »

« Oh my god…. Did he do anything ? »

The woman seemed very surprised to see him so worried over a new helper, but she smiled anyway, and pointed toward the cafeteria's direction.

 

Dongwan did so, and entered the room without expecting anything but disaster.

But...nothing. The room was almost empty, as it was late already. Some ahjumma's were doing the dishes : he said hello as he continued to look for the singers.

« Ah, here he is. »

The young man was helping with clearing the table : but the thing was that he was surrounded by grandmothers looking positively delighted as he wasprobably telling them some kind of story about the big city.

Dumbfounded, he watched as the man smiled brightly as he was at the center of all the elders attentions, never wavering as they his hair and pinced his cheeks… H even seemed to enjoy it ?

 

Min Hwi appeared behind him.

« He's been there all morning. At first, i didn't know what to do with him, but he seemed really willing to help and the people REALLY like him. Like, he charmed everyone in the span of a few yours. Not only the grandparents, but also the childrens…. You really chose well ! »

She praised him as Dongwan struggled with words. He didn't know what to do, and felt really bad about doubting him in the first place…

When he finally decided to go see the man, Min Hwi had already disappeared.

« Oh, Hi Dongwan-shii ! Did you sleep well ? »

Dongwan stayed silent for a moment before sighing.

« You should have wake me up. »

Minwoo pouted like a naughty child.

« I'm sorry, man…. I saw that you were very tired and I thought you could use the sleep »

The older man smiled lightly.

« No need to be sorry, you've done a great work...thank you. »

The singer smiled brightly, blushing a little.

« Oh, It was a pleasure ! »

 

« How about we let the other finish here, we'll grab a coffee and i'll give you a tour of the village ? »

« I'd like that, let's go ! »

 

 

Just like Dongwan promised, they left the cafeteria with coffee in a paper cup, and went for a walk around the village, talking about the differents projects and how Minwoo would be able to help. They finally ended in the park, where a buinch of ahjummas were doing their morning exercise with a little music.

They settled on a bench, and Minwoo stretched out his arms, humming the air…

He was pretty...thought Dongwan, before mentally scolding himself.

« So, what do you think ? You're up for the task ? »

« I think so… or at least I'm willing to give it my all. »

That's the only think the head wanted : after what he saw this morning, he had to admit the singer had what it take.

 

They stayed in this companionable silence for quite a long time, before Minwoo broke it off.

« It must be hard, managing all of this everyday…. »

« Hm….sometimes buti'm used to it by now... »

« Right, your father was the head too...he must have prepared you... »

« Well...not really ? »

Minwoo seemed surprised and kinda surious.

« Oh ? »

« It's kind of a long story... »

« Well, I did work all morning so… let's use this as my break ? »

The man hesitated….did he want to tell about his story to a total stranger ? Then again, they would have to live together for a long time, so he might just tell him.

« Well...my father wanted me to study…. So I went to the USA to study. I was fascinated by other countries and diplomaty, and the time, and since my parents are both hearing-impaired, i learnt sign at a young age. I wanted to work abroad, maybe as a sign translator but... »

« What happened … ? »

Dongwan frowned and sighed.

« My father fell sick. I felt as it was my duty to come back to take over him. I used the rest of my student grant to send my father and my mother to the USA with SunHo's parents to get a treatment. »

 

Minwoo seemed sad.

« So...Is he okay ? »

« Oh yeah. He's getting all the attention he deserve and I feel better knowing he is there. »

They fell silent again, Minwoo looked very shy, suddenly.

« You seem very close to SunHo-shii... »

« Well, we were roomates in Los Angeles...He's my best friend. When my father fell sick, SunHo decided to come here with me when he finished his food studies. He could have gone to Europe to work with the biggest chiefs, but instead, he decided to open open an eatery here to stay with me. »

« Wow... »

Was he seeing this, or the man was looking kind of down ? He didn't pay much intention to this, and smiled.

« But i'm glad, I love this place, and I'm very happy to help all these people. »

He sighed softly before asking.

 

« What about you ? Did you always want to be a singer…. ? »

« Well, yeah… I'm not one for studying and when my parents kicked me out when I was younger, I had to work for a living, so with Eric, we did street performance. I didn't give it that much thought before we were casted but I'm glad it came to this... »

The man didn't seem to want to talk a lot about this, so Dongwan didn't push… but he was kinda curious about why such a cute young man had been kicked out of his house by his parents.

 

They had to go back to the city hall, anyway, a long day was waiting for them.