Chapter 5 : I have got to teach you about food. Close your eyes.

Love's Outing

 

POV ERIC

« Hey ! Get up ! » 
Something cold and wet hit Eric in the face thing first in the morning and he was suddenly questioning all his life choices up until now. 
The man opened his eyes to see Sun Ho hovering above his bed, looking very pissed. 
« Whaaaaat ?! » 
He glanced at his clock warily : 6 am.
« Don't you people know about decent waking up hours ? » 
The man huffed. 

« You want to work with me ? Then get up and get dressed ! » 
« I'm , so I can't if you just stand there. »
Eric snickered when the young man became suddenly very flustered and walked away. 
Very awake, Eric got up to get dressed and catched up with Sunho who was waiting for him outside of the little flat they now shared above the restaurant. 

At first, when they met, the older man thought the chief was REALLY cute. Like the "I want to cuddle and protect" kind of cute. The fact that he was a talented cook was not bad either. 
He had to admit the man had a quite a temper : he ordered him around and Eric followed. 
He didn't know if he found that infuriating or loveable. He was used to being put up on a pedestal, while here, he was just like anyone. He kind of liked it. 

SunHo explained to him that they were going to choose the vegetables for today's service.
« Don't you have like...deliveries ? »
« Why would I do that when I can have fresh vegetables here whenever I want ? » 

« That does make sense ! »
They entered a private field where carrots, potatoes and herbs were growing spendidly. 
« Wow... You're growing all this on your own ? »
« Sometimes people help a little when the restaurant is busy but...yes, it's all mine. I love farm work, it's kinda refreshing when you're in the kitchen all day.» 
Eric could see the appeal. 
« Do you know how to pick the best vegetable ? »
As Sun Ho diligently explained the secrets of harvesting, the rebellious side of Eric disappeared. It really was fascinating to see the man expertedly navigating between the crops while telling about the nutritious qualities of pickled radish. 

The morning passed in a flash : they came back to the restaurant two hours before. Eric was looking forward to learn how to make mandus or to master Sunho's delicious porridge when suddenly :
« Where are you going ? » 
Stopping, the older man looked at him questioningly.
« In the kitchen ? » 
The younger man smiled mischeviously and thrown him an apron. 
« You're doing the service today.»
« What ?! No ! I can't I'm... not too good with people actually... »
« I saw that, but, if you wanna learn with me, you'll go past that and do your best serving the costumers. You better start memorizing the menu now ! »

The man winked and left, leaving the singer alone with his thoughts. 
As surprising as it was, he had never been comfortable with people apparent from his family and close friends. His status as an entertainer had changed this for the best, but he still prefered to let the others talk for him. 
Was he going to manage ? Still, he couldn't give up now that Sun Ho was testing him. He HAD to try. 

[...]

Lunch time came by way too quickly. Eric had to help with the service anyway, and he did without much trouble. He was terribly awkward and pretty sure he saw Sun Ho snickering in the kitchen. It was nervewrecking, indeed, and he wondered if the others were doing as much work as he was. As awkward as he was, people seemed to take a liking to him and didn't complain when he ed up.

When they finished, Eric was a mess of nerves and black bean sauce, but he was satisfied. 
He plopped down on the bench outside the eatery and lighted up a cigarette. 

« Ya, smoking is bad for your health, you know that, right ? » 
« I'm a big boy, but thank you for thmmyour concern. »
Although the man was carrying what looked like a plate, Eric didn't pay much attention when he sat down beside him.
« You've done a great job, big boy. Maybe tomorrow you can join me in the kitchen.»
« Don't you use honorifics ? Hey, I'm your hyung ! »

« I never used honorifics up until now, I'm not going to begin now ! »

The man winked and suddenly, it hit Eric : he should have known from the beginning… Sunho did have a little accent.

« You're not korean, are you? »

« What do you mean ? I'm korean. I've only lived here for 10 years. »

« Where are you from then ? »

« I was born in California. »

Schocked, the man let his cigarette fall off his hand.

« What ? Seriously ? Why didn't you tell me earlier ? »

SunHo looked surprised while Eric looked delighted.

« I'm from California too ! Los Angeles, to be exact. »

« Oooh ! »

The man laughed a little. « Even after living foy 10 years in Korea, I still struggle with the langage, but you're quite impressive, I couldn't have told. »

« Well, thanks, you're not so bad either ! »

They laughed quietly together.

« Well, the others are coming to eat diner, but I did something to thank you for all your work today. »

Pleased, Eric took the plate and discovered neatly staked sashimi.

« Oh ! How did you know I loved sashimi ! »

« Minwoo-shii came today and I may have asked him... »

« That's so cute … ! « 

Sun Ho pushed away from Eric's hand.

« Just eat it before the others turn up ! »