Chapter 7 : WOO-HOOO! BEST DAY EVER!

Love's Outing


POV DONGWAN 

A few days after the incident at the ranch, Dongwan birthday slowly came by. He had no plans to celebrate it, just like the other years. To be honest, the only ones to know about this were his closest friend : Sunho and Jinnie. He didn't feel like partying anyway, since he just came out of a meeting with SeHee's grandmother's lawyer's.

He knew the situation wasn't so good at the ranch, but he didn't expect to be offered money to throw out Junjin and his daughter, as the land partly still belonged to the town. 
Of course, he immediately chased the greedy men, but he knew for a fact the old hag was up to no good. He had to tell Jin about this, even if he knew it would mean more trouble for him.
He'd talk to him about this later.

At his break, he took the time to go see SunHo at his restaurant. The man was lounging on his bench, sacking on a kimbap while enjoying the sun.
« Ya ! »
Dongwan pushed the younger man a little to settle down beside him.
« You look very old today ! » Andy said cheerfully.
« Well, hello to you too ! »
The older Andy's head affectionately before snatching some of his kimbap.
« How was lunch ? »
« It went well, but I didn't except to struggle so much without Eric's help. I didn't realise how much I needed help before this. »
« So it seems you're quite satisfied about his work ? »

The man seemed to hesitate, before giving in to Dongwan's knowing smile, not without rolling his eyes at him.
« Okey, he has been really helpful and kind. And that's actually bad because, what am I going to do when he's gone ? »
« Restaurant-wise, right ? »
« Of course ! »
They fell into companionable silence as they watched the school's kids playing in the garden.
« They're coming back tonight, anyway. It did seem to be a very important meeting. »
Andy nodded and crossed his arms behind his head.

« What about Jinnie and Hyesung ? »
« I didn't go visit them, but I do know Junjin wasn't shutting up about how great Hyesung is. He decided to teach him horseriding. »
« Wait, he was nearly kiled by an horse, it is really a good thing ? »
« Don't worry. Jinnie knows his horses and it'll be a good thepary for Hyesung's leg. »
The older man smiled while Andy gazed up at him, smirking.
« They're cute. »
« They ARE ! »
The two men laughed quietly, while the hustle bustle of the city quieted down, the children going back to school and adults going back to work. Dongwan still had a few minutes before his meeting at the city hall, so he didn't have to part ways with his best friend for now.
« What abour you and Minwoo, then ? »
« What ? There is nothing to tell you about, Andy. »
« Eiiiii, don't bull me ! I've seen the way your face lights up whenever he's here, or whenever we talk about him. »

Dongwan had to admit the young man was right. There was no need to deny it to himself but within a week living and working with the man, his feelings towards the man was a mix of tenderness he only felt with his closest friends, and frustrating attraction. 
He was already blushing as Andy was snickering at him.
« Even if you were right, it doesn't matter. You've said it yourself, they'll be gone in a few weeks. »
The chief rolled his eyes while mumbling about chickening out, but didn't argue. He was right about one thing, they couldn't let themselves get attached to this men…

The man was not dumb enough to not know they were done for anyway.
« Are you coming to Choongjae's tonight ? »
« Yeah, of course, as always ! »
Dongwan and Andy parted ways with the promise of good food at Choongjae's place. His birthday did not even come up, and the man was satisfied. His friends did know he didn't want to do anything special today. 
As Choongjae's father, Charlie Park, came to visit his son for a few days every month, the friends agreed to meet up to share Charlie's famous hspicy korean chicken stew, but as he agreed to this, he didn't know he was in  for a surprise.

[...]

The afternoon was gone in a flash, and Dongwan soon found himself pushing the ranch's fence while holding the soju's bottles he had decided to bring. Donovan was not a very good cook, if he was completely honest. 
Charlie's car was already here, as well as Choongjae's, which meant the Shinhwa boys had come back from their schedule. 
He entered the house as he heard hushed voice coming from the dining room.
« Kids ! I'm here ! »
Suddenly, all were silent. Surprised, the man went to join them. 
« SUUURPRISE ! » 
He nearly had a heart attack when he saw them all, smiling both delightedly and apologically. The room had been lightly  decorated and at the center was sitting a cake. 
The frosting read "Happy Birthday" in Andy's delicate handwriting.

Dongwan glared at his friend accusingly as they gathered around him. Choongjae hugged him tightly and Charlie, landed a friendly hit on his shoulder.
« How come we never celebrated your birthday before, you little rascal ? »
« Huh, I'm actually wondering how you got to know about this.» 
Well, It had to come from his friends, but they never went behind his back to prepare a celebration.

« It's my fault, actually. » Minwoo said.

Great ! He was doing the « cute pout of doom »….Dongwan was done for.

« I did bride Andy into helping me set this up, when I found out your birthday while doing paper work… Are you mad …. ? »

« No, of course not. It's...really nice of you. »

Infuriated by Choongjae and Andy knowing smiles, Dongwan tried to change the subject.

« Happy Birthday uncle Dongwan ! »

He smiled at Sehee and took her up in her arms.

« Thank you sweetheart ! »

 

« Let's open up the presents ! »

« You ALSO got me presents ? »

They did. Now, Dongwan was fidgeting awkwardly. It has been more than a decade since someone last got him something for his birthday.

Eric and Andy got him books about medecinal plants, while Charlie, Chungjae and Hyesung got together to get him a new Notebook.

The last present was from Minwoo. It was a simple enveloppe with a smiley on the top.

He slipped out the things in the enveloppe.

 

« What… ? »

Plane tickets. Due in december. Round-trip tickets for Los Angeles.

« How... »

« I heard you couldn't go support your father for his surgery, so I thought...I had a father, i would want to go. So... »

« I can't accept this. It's too much. »

« You can. You've welcomed us here and took us in. It's only fair. Especially for me. »

« Eiiii, don't cry ! »

Dongwan let all his guards down and hugged Minwoo tightly. He was actually going to be able to see his father before his surgery ! He couldn't be happier.

 

They did eat Charlie's chicken stew. It was heartwarming, seeing Sehee sitting happily on her grandfather's lap, Choongjae smiling way more comfortably, and Hyesung bonding with the man over teasing Jin.

By the time they got out soju bottles, Andy was sleeping soundly, his head on Eric's lap, Eric who was discussing english rappers with Choongjae, while Hyesung was making pancakes with Charlie in the kitchen.

Minwoo took and squeezed his hand, telling a crazy joke who got the entire table to laugh crazily.

 

That was when Dongwan knew he was doomed.

 

[…]

 

« It was a nice night, wasn't it ? »

« I'm still mad at you, Lee Minwoo. »

They were battered, and very drunk, leaning on each other for support while they made their way to town after parting ways with their friends.

Minwoo pouted again exageratly.

« Whyyyy ?! »

« Because you're way too cute ! » Dongwan laughed as he pinched his cheek.

They finally reached the house and stumbled in.

« You're kinda cute too »

« Yeah, you think ? »

« I think i'm so tired, i'll probably sleep on you if you don't hurry. »

Dongwan made way and helped Minwoo take off his shoes.

« What are we doing now ? »

The man got on his knees, trying hard to find his balance.

« Actually, I wanted to thank you properly. »

« What do you mean, you don't have to…. ? »

 

Dongwan took his chin in his hand, and while his subconscious was screaming at him not do this, his heart took over his alcohool-clouded jugement, and he kissed him. He kissed him fully on the lips, messy but soft.

Suddenly, he realised what he was doing and jumped, as if he had been schocked.

« I...I'm sorry ! I didn't mean to... »

He couldn't finish his sentence as Minwoo was kissing him again.