Chapter 1 : City men

Love's Outing

« Are you serious ? Three months ? »

Minwoo casted a look toward Hyesung, who looked more unnerved than he had been these past six months. No wonder the company had three whole months of schedule cleared for them. Not that it was so strange, after all. Their last album hadn't been a real success. Variety shows liked the youthful energy of younger bands better than their veteran vibe.

He of course didn't want to think like this but, if they didn't do something powerful to remind the public of their existence, they would just have to retire.

 

This program was supposed to be their salvation. For now, it seemed like entering the gates to hell : without any exageration, of course.

« We know nothing about the countryside, let alone farmwork, I really don't see hox it could help us. »

The PD and responsable for all this affair was looking at them like they were the biggest idiots.

« You know the Countryside Diary, right ? »

« Of course, what does it have to do with this ? »

« People love to see how people live in the countryside, especially nowadays when it's so far from their everyday lives »

 

It did make sense, but were they capable of pulling it off, really ?

Eric huffed, and elbowed Hyesung softly.

« Yah, you're giving up so quickly ? »

The fair-skined idol gave his best friend his best murderous gaze.

« I'm not giving up »

« Then let's do it ! »

Minwoo got up, suddenly pumped up. After all, if this was their only chance to rise back to fame, they had to take it, right ? They couldn't just throw away 14 years of hard work, right ?

Hyesung seemed to make up his mind.

« Okay, call. Let's do this, it can't be this hard. »

 

The preparations for the trip were short. Hyesung especially was always the first ready : he was a very organised and detailed man who didn't let anything out of his control. In less than one hour, he packed as much clothes he could, his laptop, his smartphone of course, as well as his favorite book.

At 5 am, the following day, their managers drove each of them to Incheon Airport.

They had spent most of their time the last few years in this airport, coming and going from China to Japan, to the USA, but this time, it definitively felt different. Minwoo and Eric seemed to feel the same as they came to stand beside him.

They were alone with their manager and the PD of the show, as it was quite early. The man looked them over, and took out three box of his bag, one for each of them.

 

« What's this ? »

« Let me make myself very clear. Once you set foot on Jeju-do, you're on your own. This... » He said as he opened the box to reveal a hand camera and an USB key, one for each of them. «  Will be your only way to document your trip. Film as much you please, and try to keep a video journal every day »

« That's all ? » It did seem a little light for a career-saving show but…

« It has to be as authentic as we can. You'll be immersed in the everyday life of the village, you have to show it from your point of vue »

Hyesung had many questions, but the biggest issue right now was clear.

« Then where are we going to live ? »

« Three villagers already accepted to let you stay at their place, they'll selected who they want to be working with. These three are in desperate need of help, so please, do your best. »

The three weren't really sure they liked the idea or not, but since they already agreed to do this, they couldn't go back.

« Okey, let's go ? »

They boarded the plane at 6:30am. As they sat side by side in the plane, they started discussing their trip and what they were going to do.

« It's going to be terrible. We'll probably have to do farm tasks... » Hyesung definitively didn't look happy while Eric was buzzing with excitation. Minwoo laughed.

« Come on, it's going to be a great experience ! »

Hyesung didn't seem convinced at all.

 

« Want to bet, Hyesungie ? I bet you won't go through a whole month. »

That definitively teased Hyesung competitive side,

« What do you want to bet ? »

«  Let's bet 200,000 won »

« Call, let's do this, i'll show you ! » Hyesung pointed his finger toward Eric, with a determinated gaze.

 

They landed at Jeju airport at 7:30 am. Then they realised they had no way to find the man who had to lift them up from the airport. Dejected, they decided to wait on the stairs of the airport. The weather was much nicer than in Seoul, and people hustled around, speaking in a cute rushed accent. The day was just starting and people were hurrying toward the Affairs Center, were most of the people of Jeju worked.

Just as Minwoo was suggesting they went to eat breakfast, someone approched them.

« You're, Shinhwa. Right ? »

Hyesung felt his breath hitch as they discovered their driver. Considering their destination, they had excepted some old man to come pick them up. Instead, here was a beautiful man, aroung their age : he was slightly out of breath, as he had been running to catch up with them, his black bangs fell on unexceptibly clear and king moon shaped eyes.

He was wearing confortable close which hugged his abs and torso in a very flattening manner.

The young man found the courage to smother Minwoo with his best glare as he snickered knowingly.

« Ah...Yes, we are »

« My name is Choongjae, I'm will drive you to our village. »