Fall.

GITA: Another Cinder and Ella Story

 

Chapter 6

 

At the Theatre hall.

 

The casts and crews were already there.

 

“Cinder!”

 

Someone called from behind. I turned my head to see who it was.

 

“Why are you hiding behind the door?” Ella asked while holding a pile of papers. “Com’on let’s get inside now. We’re about to start.”

 

“Right,” I said, “Let me have some of that. It’s awkward to let a girl carry a pile of papers.”

 

“Thank you, Cinder,” She muttered as she handed me half of the piled papers.

 

There I saw the cast and crews busy chatting with each other. Cassandra was there on one of the seats in the front row busy playing with her phone.

 

At the second row, there was Isabel Gomez, a sophomore college student, who will be playing as Rapunzel’s evil foster mother, Gothel. She was sitting beside Andrew and Derick, who will be playing as the StaBington brothers.

 

Derick Garcia is also a 12th grade student and is the best friend of Andrew since pre-school.

 

“Flynn Rider is here,” Ms. McKinley declared as the others turned their heads to our direction.

 

I gave a low bow and smiled at them.

 

I laid the pile of papers on the table where Ella had put the other scripts.

 

“Okay, gather up guys,” Ms. McKinley called out our attention, “and please settle down.”

 

Everyone gathered up and paid attention to Ms. McKinley.

 

“First of all, I would like to congratulate Mr. Henderson for getting the role of Flynn Rider,” She congratulated me, “Please stand up, Mr. Henderson to be recognized.”

 

They clapped their hands, and I stood up and gave a low bow.

 

“Thank you,” I muttered.

 

Ms. McKinley began to explain all the things that we will be doing for the preparation of the musical play.

 

She started to distribute to us the scripts and the CDs containing the song we have to practice.

 

“For our practice,” She cleared , “it will be everyday right after your last period in the afternoon until 6 o’clock in the evening.”

 

“Is it okay for you, Cinder?” Ella whispered to me with her eyes fixed on Ms. McKinley.

 

“Y-yes, why?” I answered as I looked at her.

 

“You’re uncle might get mad if you’re late for the said time,” She said worriedly.

 

I secretly smiled.

 

“My mom’s here, so there’s no need to worry okay?” I whispered back.

 

She nodded as she looked at me.

 

“We will be sending out letters for your parents or guardians for them to be informed,” Ms. McKinley stated as she began to distribute the letters.

 

“Okay then, tomorrow will be the start of the practice,” She said after she had handed out all the letters, “See you then.”

 

Everybody started to head out the hall when Cassandra called out my name.

 

“Cinder!”

 

“Yes, Ms. Rhodes?” I turned at her direction.

 

“I’m looking forward to working with you,” She said with a straight face, “Better reach my expectations and don’t disappoint me.”

 

“Don’t worry, Ms. Rhodes,” I smiled and showed him two thumbs up, “Disappointing people is not my job, I promise to work hard for you and for everyone.”

 

She froze for a while that made me wonder if I had said something wrong.

 

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to,” I said.

 

She snapped back to reality and shook her head.

 

“No, it’s okay,” She chuckled, “I just remembered someone doing the~”

 

Jasper came running towards our direction, calling out my name that made her not able to finish her sentence.

 

“Cinder!” He called, waving his two arms in the air.

 

“Oh hi there, Cass,” He turned his attention to Cassandra, “it’s unusual for you to talk to someone like Cinder. Don’t tell me you’re beginning to have a soft spot in your heart.”

 

Jasper as she began to look annoyed.

 

“Hey, easy Jas,” I said as I hang up my arm on his shoulder, “we’re just talking for the play, right Ms. Rhodes?”

 

She nodded while crossing her arms.

 

“Wait,” Jasper inserted again, “Did I hear you addressing her ‘Ms. Rhodes’?

 

He smirked that made Cassandra look more annoyed.

 

“Jasper, stop it,” I said.

 

“I’m sorry,” I apologized to her and gave a low bow.

 

“Yeah right, he’s always like that,” She said rolling her eyes, “I’ll go ahead.”

 

Before she was able to head out the hall…

 

“Wait up,” I accidentally held her hand that made all the three of us in shock.

 

“I-I am sorry, but what was it again you were saying before Jasper came?” I asked and immediately let go of her hand.

 

“Ah nothing,” She shook her hand and continued her pace.

 

My eyes followed her as she quickly reached the exit.

 

“What was she talking about?” I thought as I furrowed my eyebrows.

 

***

 

I went home and mom welcomed me with a kiss on the forehead. I handed her the letter that Ms. McKinley gave to us.

 

“By the way mom,” I said as I put my bag on my study table, “I got the role as Flynn Rider for the upcoming musical play.”

 

A smile grew on her face.

 

“Come here, son,” She said as I sat beside her, “I’m so proud of you.”

 

***

 

These past few days, we were busy preparing for the musical play.

 

I was also thankful that mom would be staying for a month here in Colchester, this would help me avoid Uncle Ed’s curfew and Ray’s punches.

 

I was able to eat, sleep, and study well. Punches temporarily vanished, insults and scolding as well.

 

However, at school, I always caught Ray glancing at us whenever Ella’s with me and whenever he’s around.

 

I hadn’t been experiencing being bullied too, instead students began to befriend me.

 

I really doubt it, if they’re doing it for real or just playing with my trust on them.

 

I was able to know Cassandra more. Right. I’m calling her by her first name now since she allowed me to do so. She was nice after all.

 

***

 

.-* Start of Ella’s Point of View*-. 

 

We’ve been very busy lately for the musical play but this didn’t affect my studies though.

 

I was assigned for the props and stage decoration that I thought it would be less stressful than acting in front of the stage but to be honest to myself, it’s twice stressful.

 

But then, this is better than memorizing lengthy lines to be delivered and songs to be sung.

 

I kind of miss the bond I had with Cinder and Jasper. I haven’t been hanging out with them especially with Jasper since right after class, we’d proceed to the theatre hall immediately.

 

Sometimes, he would visit us at the hall and bring us burgers and shakes. He would tease Cassandra like,

 

“Oh you shouldn’t eat, you’re getting bigger.”

 

Or

 

“Cinder doesn’t like girls who eat a lot.”

 

Even if she doesn’t at all. We would laugh and she would roll her eyes and cross her arms.

 

Yes. Cassandra and I are in good terms already, I guess.

 

 We get to chat with each other during break and whenever Cinder’s coming on our way, I would and she would blush immediately.

 

As for Cinder, I’m happy that he’s TEMPORARILY fine as of the moment.

 

If her mom hadn’t come home, and unexpectedly, he was chosen for the lead role, I wonder if his uncle would permit him to have practice till 6 in the evening knowing that his curfew’s around 4:30 in the afternoon.

 

I was sitting alone on the stage when someone covered my eyes from behind.

 

I held the hand and got the hint.

 

“Cinder?”

 

The hands immediately let go and I turned my head around to see if I was right.

 

I was right then. He smiled and sat beside me.

 

“Here, I brought something for you,” He said and handed me a paper bag and a shake.

 

I opened the paper bag, freshly backed chocolate flavored waffles and my favorite strawberry shake.

 

“Thanks,” I said as I began munching the waffle.

 

He just gave a smile while staring on the floor.

 

“How have you been doing lately, Ell?” He asked still staring on the floor.

 

“I’m doing good,” I answered, “How about you?”

 

“I’m temporarily doing good, too,” He chuckled.

 

I looked at him. I could sense the happiness inside him.

 

“That’s great,” I uttered as I took a zip on my shake, “I’m glad that you have made new friends too.”

 

“All thanks to you and Jasper, you gave me the courage to join this musical play,” He looked at me and grinned.

 

A smile painted on my face.

 

“You’ve been with Cassandra a lot these days huh?” I asked.

 

He scratched his head.

 

“Ah you seem to notice that huh? “ He paused for a while, “We’re just rehearsing our part, that’s all.”

 

“Don’t be embarrass, Cinder,” I uttered, “There’s no wrong if you have a special feeling for her.”

 

“What am I saying now?” I thought.

 

“Eh?” His eyes widened in astonishment, “I see her as a friend and nothing else more. Besides, it’s impossible for me to be paired up with her due to my social status. She’s worthy to be with someone who has the same status as her.”

 

I was impressed by what he said that made me stare at him for a couple of second.

 

“I-I am sorry for talking so much,” He said while scuffing her head.

 

“Don’t worry, I was just quite impressed on your words,” I grinned and while waving my hand.

 

He gave a low bow.

 

I stretched my arms after I was done eating the snack that Cinder gave to me when I wasn’t able to balance myself.

 

“Ella!” Cinder cried out.

 

My eyes were shut.

 

***

 

When I opened my eyes, I realized that I was over him already. He was tightly hugging me.

 

We were stock staring right at each other. His face was already an inch away from me.

 

“I-I am sorry, Cinder,” I immediately got off from him and reached for his hand.

 

He dusted off his shirt and fixed his hair.

 

“Are you alright, Ella?” He asked worriedly.

 

“Yes, don’t worry,” I replied, “My bad.”

 

“Thank goodness,” He said in relieved as he held his chest.

 

“I should be careful next time,” I muttered, “Thank you, Cinder.”

 

I bowed down.

 

“You’re welcome, Ella,” He mumbled, “Besides I don’t want you to get hurt, you know.”

 

His words surprised me. I didn’t expect that from him.

 

“How sweet,” A familiar voice began to speak over the microphone echoing inside the hall.

 

____________________

-Niksama 12/28/11

 

***

A/N: Special participation of Sawajiri Erika as Isabel Gomez, a sophomore college student, who will be playing as Gothel and Tamamori Yuta as Derick Garcia, a 12th grade student and the best friend of Andrew, who will be playing as one of the StaBington brothers. Their age are changed too.