Bullied.

GITA: Another Cinder and Ella Story

 

Chapter Two

 

“Cinder! Where’s my white shirt?”

 

“Cinder, have you seen my Sharpie?”

 

“Cinder!”

 

It’s another déjà vu. When the eldest son starts to shout my name and ask for something, the whole family begins to shout my name as well.

 

I immediately went to Ray’s room and gave his white shirt that was freshly ironed. I helped him tied up his shoelaces as he was fastening the buttons of his shirt.

 

As soon as I’m done with Ray’s concern, I quickly went to Andrew who was sitting at the recliner downstairs.

 

“Here’s your Sharpie, Drew,” I handed him the pen, “I saw it under the table yesterday while I was cleaning the house. It’s just that I forgot to give it to you last night.”

 

 I smiled at him and went to get my bag and books.

 

“We’re going now, Dad!” Ray bid good bye to Uncle Ed, followed by Andrew and off they went inside their Silver Volvo and drove to school.

 

“I’m going as well Uncle Ed,” I said, “I’ll be back by four thirty.”

 

I bowed.

 

He just raised his chin as a sign of agreement.

 

I went to the backyard to get my bike and climbed up. The sky was clear and the birds were chirping. The aura was great. Everyone and everything is doing good. I drove my bike and off I went to school.

 

As I was already near the big gate of the university I am enrolled, I could see students riding in their expensive cars. Others were sent by their personal drivers, some were with their parents and others were the ones driving their own cars.

 

Well, not all students here are born with silver spoons in their mouth though. There are also scholars here and I’m one of them.

 

However, a lot of scholars pretend to be coming from a wealthy family. But I don’t act as one.

 

Lucky for me I was able to study in this prestigious university.

 

I went inside and parked my bike. I checked everything before I left.

 

Entrance.

 

A group of boys came running towards my direction and bumped on me.

 

“Hey!” I shouted, “Watch out you guys!”

 

I’m kind of irritated. Early in the morning and a bunch of 12th grade boys from the other section came crossing down the hallway, bumping at me like I’m transparent at all.

 

They didn’t even care to ask for an apology.

 

I sighed.

 

As I continued my pace and passed by the corridors, students were staring at me. Some were trying to hide their laughter as soon as I passed by them.

 

“What the heck is happening now?” I thought.

 

I didn’t bother to ask and continued walking until I reached our classroom.

 

As soon as I reached our classroom, I immediately went to my desk. Still, students inside the classroom were staring at me. Some were laughing already.

 

“Stop it or else I’m gonna expose to the whole university that there are scholars in this classroom,” A familiar voice came out from nowhere that made the students who were silly laughing stopped.

 

“One false move again and I’m really gonna expose each one of you,” Jasper threatened my classmates, “If I’m not mistaken, half of this class are scholars.”

 

“What? There are other scholars here aside from Henderson?” One of our classmates asked in a whispery tone.

 

She could still be heard. The room was filled with murmurs.

 

“He must be kidding…” Others went on.

 

“What’s wrong with being a scholar anyway?” The familiar voice then spoke again.

 

I turned to see who it was.

 

“Jasper…” I mumbled as my eyes were fixed on him.

 

He winked at me.

 

The familiar voice belonged to Jasper Rhodes, my best buddy since kindergarten. Jasper came from a well-heeled family and the only child of a well-known businessperson in London. However, despite of the wealth he has, he still remains humble.

 

 

I could sense the fear of some of my classmates as Jasper started threatening them. The atmosphere became silent. Some put their heads down while others went back to their seats.

 

“Thanks Jas,” I said.

 

“No problem, Cinder,” He said as he lightly tapped my back, “Oh that’s why…”

 

“What?” I asked unknowingly.

 

He got something pasted from my back.

 

“This,” He showed me a white paper with some words written on it.

 

It read,

 

S-C-H-O-L-A-R

THAT’S ME!

 

Oh that’s why they laughed at me.

 

“Great,” I said as I made a poker face.

 

Jasper grabbed the paper and went in front of the class.

 

“Hey! Listen up,” He caught my classmates’ attention effortlessly, “Do you know who did this to my best friend?”

 

He asked as he waved the paper in his hand. No one answered him.

 

“I see,” He said coolly as expected from him, “Here’s the deal you guys.”

 

He cleared his throat.

 

“I assume every one of you knows me,” He said as he darted them the look, “I’ll be giving you 24 hours to bring to me those students who made this and pasted in at the back of Cinder.”

 

I tried to prevent him from frightening the others but he was so unstoppable and when he makes a deal, he’ll take it seriously. I mean, very seriously.

 

“If you fail, you better sign a drop off form. Game on!” He declared.

 

I could sense a bad aura. Some students were confused of what to do.

 

He walked towards my direction as he folded the paper into half, then another half and another half.

 

“I’m keeping this,” He said as he waved the folded paper in front of my face.

 

“Thanks Jas,” I said, “But is it too much?”

 

“Too much?” He chuckled, “Being bullied is worse than that, Cinder.”

 

I shook my head.

 

“Stop being a nice guy, will you?” He demanded as he pressed his hand on my desk.

 

“I’ll stop being a nice guy when it’s needed, Jasper,” I said ironically while looking right through his eyes.

 

We two laughed.

 

The teacher came in and Jasper went to his seat. The others settled down as well.

 

“Good morning, class,” Ms. McKinley greeted us as she put down her books and chalk box.

 

“Good morning, Ms. McKinley,” We responded.

 

Ms. McKinley is the youngest female teacher in the university. With Mr. Jackson as her youngest male teacher counterpart.

 

Ms. McKinley is a Performing Arts teacher and she handles all five 12th grade sections. She is such a wonderful and approachable teacher who has helped me a couple of times already.

 

“Class,” She began, “Our University’s festival is fast approaching and as a tradition, the Department of Performing Arts will be organizing a musical play.”

 

There room was filled with noise. Some girls were giggling while the others couldn’t even hide their excitement.

 

One student raised her hand and asked a question.

 

“So what will be the title of the musical play this time, Madame?”

 

“Disney’s Tangled,” She answered proudly.

 

Rapunzel?

 

Jasper nudged my right elbow. I just gave him a what-is-it look. He turned his eyes on the teacher’s direction.

 

“What?” I turned to him and asked without any sound coming out from my mouth.

 

 “Yes, Mr. Henderson,” Shoot. The teacher probably noticed me, everyone looked at my direction, “Is there any problem?”

 

“Ah, my friend here, Jasper Rhodes, asked me if there is an audition for the play. I think he’s interested to join.” Great, I managed to escape.

 

I gave Jasper an evil smile.

 

I texted Jasper and it read,

 

“Like I said before, I’ll stop being a nice guy if needed.”

 

He made face.

 

“Thank you for that question boys,” Ms. McKinley said smiling, “Why yes, there is an audition for that.”

 

“The audition bulletin will be set later and whoever wants to join, you are free to sign up,” She added.

 

After Ms. McKinley announced to the class about the upcoming musical play, we went back from our regular class.

 

When it was almost time for dismissal, the other section was first to be dismissed. Someone caught my attention as that person passed by our classroom.

 

My eyes’ movement followed her and her silky long hair as she slowly faded from my sight.

 

The bell rang.

 

“Okay class, see you tomorrow,” Mr. Jackson bid goodbye and everyone began to packed up.

 

“Yo, Cinder,” Jasper snapped his fingers in front of my face, “What were you thinking? Or shall I ask, who were you thinking?”

 

“Ah, nothing Jas,” I said as I quickly packed up my bag and books, “Come on, let’s have lunch now.”

 

At the cafeteria.

 

Students were lining up, rehearsing the orders of the foods in their mind. The whole cafeteria was filled by chitchats, laughter, hitting of utensils and the like.

 

Luckily there was one table empty so we immediately went to it and put our bags.

 

As soon as we started eating our lunch, we began to talk about the said musical play.

 

“So,” Jasper said in between munching, “Any plans for the audition?”

 

I got choked.

 

“Me?” I pointed to myself, “Audtion? Everyone would laugh at me you know.”

 

I’m so sure everyone would make fun of me especially that I’m a scholar and that the word “scholar” for them is a shame.

 

“We won’t know unless we try,” He told me, “Besides, you have the looks you know.”

 

Tsh.

 

I didn’t mind his words and just focused on eating my foods.

 

“And you have the voice as well,” He spoke again in a low tone.

 

I sighed.

 

“I’ll think about it,” I said.

 

“That’s my best friend!”He put his arm on my shoulder and gave me a friendly light punch.

 

“Ah excuse me?”

 

A voice interrupted our friend-slash-brotherly moment.

 

Jasper was the first one to turn his face to the where the voice came from.

 

Jaw dropped.

 

No blink of his eyes.

 

Frozen.

 

I turned my face to see who made my best friend act like that.

 

Shoot.

 

My heart began to beat faster.

 

Heat rushed through my veins.

 

While cold sweat came out from the pores of my skin that started to look pale.

 

“Can I .. join you guys for lunch?”

 

Shy voice yet it gave me shiver down my spine.

 

__________________

-Niksama 12/18/11