Audition.

GITA: Another Cinder and Ella Story

 

Chapter Four

 

“Cindeeerrrrr!” A familiar voice from behind was calling out my name.

 

I know who it was.

 

“Jasper,” I said closing my eyes.

 

“Wait for us,” He added.

 

I quickly opened my eyes, realizing his sentence.

 

“Wait for us?” My eyes widened and slowly turned around to see whom he was with.

 

There I saw her again. With her full bangs and long black hair, walking towards me while waving and giving me the smile that could melt every boy’s heart.

 

“Good morning, Cinder,” She greeted me.

 

“G-good morning too, Ella” I greeted back with a smile.

 

Jasper gave a fake cough to remind me that he’s also there.

 

“Hi there, buddy!” I told him, “You got a cough today?”

 

We three laughed.

 

Ella stopped laughing all of a sudden and stared at me. She came near to me my face. Jasper’s reaction could not be drawn.

 

“E-Ellie,” I said nervously, “Is there something wrong?”

 

She touched my lower lips that made me turn my head to the other direction.

 

“What happened here?” She asked sincerely.

 

“Were you beaten again” Jasper seriously added, “Cinder?”

 

I saw Ray from afar with his friends. He was glancing at our direction.

 

“I’m fine. Don’t worry guys,” I answered, “Last night I tripped and fell down on the floor.”

 

“What a lame excuse,” I thought.

 

“You sure?” She asked again pouting.

 

I nodded.

 

“Okay,” Jasper uttered, “Let’s get inside now.”

 

We separated ways with Ella and went inside the classroom.

 

We went to our seats and started getting our books from our bag. I noticed Jasper’s reaction as he was facing and scrolling down his phone.

 

“Jas,” I called his attention, “Jasper.”

 

But he seemed to be not in his self.

 

“Jasper,” I called him again, “Hey buddy!”

 

This time, he’s back to reality.

 

“Problem?” I said while raising my eyebrows.

 

He came near to me and handed me his phone.

 

“Read it,” He said.

 

I then started reading the text message.

 

It says,

 

Sender: Unknown

“Jasper Rhodes, we found out the one behind it.

The boys from the section 12-E told us that it was all

Cinder’s cousin, Ray Stewart’s plan.”

 

That was the end of the message.

 

“Mind if I use it for a while?” I asked Jasper who was not in the good mood. He just nodded restlessly.

 

“Thanks,” I said and typed in my message.

 

I typed in,

 

“Cinder here. Thanks for all your effort.”

 

And I hit ‘send’.

 

“Jas, I knew it was him,” I began my explanation, “He holds grudges on me.”

 

I chuckled. But he remained serious.

 

“Our classmates had fulfilled their mission, so please don’t expose them to the whole university,” I said hoping for him to pity them.

 

He just nodded again.

 

His phone beeped.

 

I’ve got a reply from ‘them’.

 

“The boys from section 12-E want to ask for an apology,

they were threatened by him that’s why they did that to you.”

 

I replied,

 

“No worries, it wasn’t that serious anyway.

And don’t you worry guys, you won’t be exposed anymore.”

 

That was my last reply to their message. I returned the phone to Jasper who just stared at me the whole time.

 

Until he held my arms with teary eyes,

 

“Why are you so damn nice, Cinder?” He cried, “You’re being bullied yet here you are accepting their apologies?”

 

“It’s not their fault anyway,” I answered back.

 

“Let me guess,” Jasper pointed his finger on my lower lip, “Ray did that to you, am I right?”

 

Good thing the teacher came in and I was not able to answer his question.

 

During the break, I went out the room without Jasper’s knowledge.

 

I thought he did not notice me when I went out the room but then,

 

“Cinder!” He shouted, “Where are you going?”

 

“I have some lil’ business to do,” I told him as I waved my hand, “I’ll be back in a while.”

 

.-* Start of Jasper’s Point of View*-.

 

I found Cinder sneaking from behind and luckily, I caught him.

 

“Cinder!” I shouted behind the door, “Where are you going?”

 

“I have some lil’ business to do,” He told me as he waved his hand and quickly faded from my sight, “I’ll be back in a while.”

 

“Some little business huh?” I murmured.

 

Cinder Henderson, the best-est friend I ever had since kindergarten. I’m so lucky to have him as my best friend.

 

I knew that that bruise on his lips came from Ray but why did he not tell us the truth?

 

After all this years, he’s still not good in giving convincing excuses.

Tripped and hit his lips on the floor?

 

What a careless person, or shall I say ‘what a lame excuse’.

 

I shook my head as I let out a sigh.

 

“Boo,” Someone tapped my back that made me jump from my place.

 

I turned to see who it was.

 

“Ellie!” I exclaimed as I tightly held my chest, “You scared me!”

 

“Sorry, Jas,” She apologized, “I didn’t know that you’re easily scared.”

 

She gave that smile again that could tremble my heart at anytime.

 

I was stocked staring at her angelic face.

 

“What am I thinking now?” I shook my head and went back to reality.

 

“By the way,” She uttered while her eyes were looking around the room, “Where’s Cinder?”

 

Right. She was ACTUALLY looking for Cinder.

 

“He headed that way,” I said while pointing to the direction where Cinder went, “He said he has some little business to do.”

I

I raised my eyebrows.

 

“Oh I know that little business of him,” She snapped her fingers, “He’s gonna sign up for the audition, for sure.”

 

“For real?” My eyes broadened, “He’s gonna take it for real?”

 

She nodded.

 

“He’s coming,” She said as she was looking, smiling at him.

 

“How’s your little business, buddy?” I asked him.

 

Ellie and I were waiting for his response.

 

“I just… signed up for the audition,” He told us shyly, “as Flint Rider.”

 

“I knew it!” Happiness could be seen on Ellie’s face, “Can’t wait to see you on stage!”

 

“But I’ll still undergo an audition,” He cut in, “There’s still a 99.5% possibility that I won’t be able to get that role.”

 

“Don’t worry, Cinder,” She told him as she held his hands, “I’m sure you’ll end up getting that role.”

 

Cinder just smiled and immediately let go of her, he’d probably noticed that the students were staring at them as they passed by.

 

“I heard that there will be no auditions for the character of Rapunzel,” I cut in, “Is it true, Ellie?”

 

“So the news had spread out already huh?” She replied with a sour smile.

 

“So it’s true after all,” Cinder muttered, “Then who’s the lucky girl?”

 

“Cassandra,” Ellie replied in a low tone, “Cassandra Rhodes.”

 

“Say what?” I exclaimed, “My cousin’s gonna play as Rapunzel?”

 

“So, she’s your cousin after all?” Ellie’s eyes widened, “Why you two are so much different with each other?”

 

She pouted.

 

“What’s with that reaction guys?” Cinder asked innocently as he raised his eyebrows.

 

“Just wait and you’ll see,” Ellie replied irritated and walked out, “See you later guys!”

 

I sighed.

 

“What the?” Cinder was confused of what was happening.

 

“Let’s get inside now,” I said tapping his back lightly.

 

 Cassandra Rhodes, a 12th grader and unfortunately my first cousin, will be playing as Rapunzel. She’s known to be the drama queen of the drama club. However, she cannot surpass Ellie’s capability when it comes to acting. But the only thing I was confused about was that why would Ellie be assigned at the props when she’s the best in performing musical and stage plays?

 

I let out another sigh.

 

“Cassandra, why oh why?” I said as I buried my face on the desk.

 

.-* End of Jasper’s Point of View*-.

 

.-* Start of Cinder’s Point of View*-.

 

I didn’t exactly understand what their reaction meant a while ago. Why did Ella get irritated as soon as she mentioned Cassandra’s name? On the other hand, Jasper should be glad that her cousin has been chosen to act as Rapunzel, however, a dismay could be seen on his face.

 

I shook my head and went back to my seat to prepare for the next class.

 

After school, the audition followed. There were a lot of 12th grade boys who auditioned as Flint Rider, including me. When it was my turn, I saw Ella and Cinder sitting at the back of the judges, giving me thumbs up. While on the other hand, Cassandra Rhodes was there sitting in the VIP seat blankly staring at me.

 

I was the last student to audition so the some students were no longer there.

 

“Start,” One of the judges ordered me.

 

I took a deep breath.

 

I just gave out all my best. I followed and delivered a part of the script and sang the assigned song for me.

 

Ella and Jasper clapped their hands as soon as I was done.

 

I left the stage and Ella and Jasper came running to me.

 

“You were amazing,” Ella complimented me.

 

“Yes you were buddy,” Jasper added, “I bet you’ll get the role.”

 

“Don’t be so confident,” One of the students who auditioned passed by us irritated.

 

“You!” Jasper attempted to attack him, good thing we immediately caught Jasper.

 

“Calm down, Jasper,” Ella said as she rubbed his back.

 

We were outside the university gate when I looked at my watch only find out that I was 10 minutes before 4:30.

 

“Oh shoot,” I exclaimed as I climbed on my bike, “See you tomorrow guys!”

 

I paddled as fast as I could just to be home on time.

 

.-* Jasper’s Short Point of View*-.

 

“What’s with the hurry, Jas?” Ella asked as we watched Cinder gone in a flash.

 

“It’s 10 minutes before 4:30,” I replied as I looked at my watch.

 

“Why’s that?” She asked again as we began to walk towards our cars.

 

“Punches are waiting for him when he’s late for the said time,” I said worriedly, “Hope everything’s fine.”

 

“What?!” She cried out.

 

“It’s true. You noticed the bruise on his lips this morning, didn’t you?” I asked her and she nodded, “His cousin, Ray, did that to him. Even if he didn’t admit it, I know his cousin did it to him.”

 

“Poor Cinder,” Ella murmured with a sad look on his face, “See you tomorrow Jas.”

 

She bid goodbye as she entered her car. I just gave her a half smile and a waved of my hand.

 

.-* End of Jasper’s Short Point of View*-.

 

“Punches,” I said, as I drove my back faster, “Not now.”

 

As soon as I arrived, I quickly went at the back of the house and parked my bike.

 

I took a deep breath as I closed my eyes.

 

“Good luck, Cinder Henderson,” I thought and opened the door.

 

I stepped in the house.

 

“Cinder!”

 

My eyes widened to see someone sitting on the couch.

 

____________________

-Niksama 12/23/11