Meet the Wicked

GITA: Another Cinder and Ella Story

 

Chapter One

 

“Cinder! Where’s the other pair of my socks?”

 

“Cinder! Have you seen my necktie?”

 

“Cinder, is the table not ready yet?”

 

Early in the morning, the house is always filled with the roaring of the lions, I mean humans. It feels like I’m experiencing déjà vu every single day. My mother is a pro at cooking, in short, she’s a professional cook. A famous restaurant in Heathrow, London offered her a work leaving me under the hands of his older brother and nephews here in Colchester, London. This made my life more miserable than I thought it would be.

 

  • 1 month ago  -

 

“You’ve gotta be kidding, right mom?” I said as I threw my body on the recliner.

 

“No son, I’m serious. I just signed a contract,” She said as she showed me the paper, “This is for your own good anyway.”

 

“For my own good?” I began to be irritated, “You know you’re brother doesn’t like me.”

 

“Who said that? I told him already about you living in their house and he said,” Mother went near to me and tapped my shoulder, “He’s okay with it. He’s willing to take care of you, while I’m away for work.”

 

I sighed.

 

“What’s with the sigh, Cinder?” Like every mother does, she knows I’m not fine at all. I just shook my head and gave her my best smile, avoiding not to make her worry.

 

“So,” I said, “how long does it takes for you to be away from me?”

 

“Just for 5 months son,” She answered as she walked towards the window, “and after that, I’m gonna fulfill my duty as a mother to you.”

 

A smile painted on my face. I came near to her and hugged her from the back.

 

“Thanks mom.”

 

  • End of Flashback  -

 

As soon as I have found the things they were asking from me, I immediately went to the dining area and saw Uncle Edison, his sons, Ray and Andrew, eating their breakfast.

 

“Here’s the other pair of your socks, Ray.” I said as I handed Ray, the oldest, his all time favorite black and white stripes sock. He just took it while munching toasted bread.

“And here’s your necktie, Drew.” I handed Andrew, the youngest, his black necktie. He took it and half-smiled at me.

 

Wait! Did he just half-smiled at me? I shook my head and walked towards the kitchen when…

 

“Cinder,” Uncle Ed called my name. I turned back and gave him my sarcastic grin.

 

“Yes, Uncle Ed?”

 

“Come and join us,” He offered.

 

What the? What’s wrong with the atmosphere now? First, his youngest son had just half-smiled at me and now, him, who I’ve known to be wicked, had just offered me to eat breakfast with them?

 

“Oh, that’s so kind of you, Uncle Ed,” I said, “but I just ate breakfast a while ago.”

 

He just nodded and sipped his coffee.

 

“I’m going to do the laundry, Uncle Ed, so just leave everything as soon as you’re done,” I said and headed towards the back of the house.

 

I started to wet the clothes when Uncle Ed called out my name.

 

“Cinder!”

 

I hurriedly went to the living room.

 

“Yes, Uncle Ed.”

 

“We’re going to the town now,” He said, “We’ll be back after supper so no need to prepare dinner.”

 

I nodded.

 

“Make sure everything’s in order,” He darted me that look, “You don’t want to happen it again, don’t you Cinder?”

 

I gulped.

 

“Y-yes, Uncle Ed,” I said in a nervous tone, “Everything will be as it is.”

 

“Good boy,” He tapped my head lightly, “Let’s go now, boys!”

 

They passed by me. Ray gave me that evil look again while on the other hand, Andrew didn’t even dare to look at me.

 

I went to the door and watched them rode their Volkswagen.

 

I resumed doing the laundry. I always wonder why they made me hand wash the clothes when it fact there is a washing machine anyway.

 

I sighed again as I rubbed every clothes with soap.

 

I seemed to be nervous a while ago, aren’t I? Who would not be anyway? I thought it would be the end of my life on that day.

 

  • 2 weeks ago  -

 

I was cooking for supper when I heard a huge bang of the door.

 

“Cinder Henderson!”

 

This made my heart more terrified. I turned off the stove and hurriedly went to the living room only to find a very furious man. It seemed that smokes came out from his ears and nose. I’m just exaggerating though.

 

“U-uncle Ed, is there something wrong?” I asked in a uneasy tone.

 

“Is there something wrong?” He asked in a low tone, “Is there something wrong?!” He suddenly reaised his tone.

 

He pointed his finger on the painting at the corner of the house. I was shocked to see the beautiful painting got ruined.

 

“It’s not wha-what you think it is, Uncle Ed,” I said, “It-it’s impossible for me to ruin such a beautiful~”

 

He cut in.

 

“You know it’s the last memory that my wife left me before she passed away,” He muttered, “I’ve been taking care of it for 16 years already.”

 

There was silence.

 

“And you!” He pointed at me, “You just ruined the precious treasure!”

 

He was really mad and that made him punch me right through my face. I fell to the ground. I felt dizzy but still managed to defend myself.

 

“Uncle Ed,” My nose and lips started to bleed, “I was at the backyard the whole day, cutting the grass. After you left, I made sure all the doors and windows were close.”

 

I crawled towards him and begged, hoping that he would believe me.

 

I saw Ray secretly making his evil smile again.

 

“Please Uncle Ed, please beli~”

 

He cut in again.

 

“It’s too late now.”

 

This time, he grabbed my shirt and attempted to punch me again. I didn’t bother to fight back. I closed my eyes and decided to accept whatever will happen to me.

 

“You’re gonna regret it, Cinder Henderson!” Uncle Ed, blinded by anger, was about to punch me.

 

“Stop it, Dad,” Andrew calmly spoke behind his brother, “I think I just saw Aunt Claire at one of the restaurants a while ago. Stop it, you don’t want to lose your younger sister’s trust on you, do you Dad?”

 

With Andrew’s words, this made me get away from Uncle Ed’s second punch. He threw me to the ground.

 

“We’re not done yet.” He said pointing to my face.

 

“Get up!” He ordered, “Get the table done and go to your room.”

 

“Hurry up!”

 

I got up, struggling from dizziness. My head was still hurting and my lips began to bruise.

 

Uncle Ed went upstairs and banged the door. The aura of the house wasn’t great at all.  Ray passed by me again and looked at me evilly, head to toe while on the other hand, Andrew stopped in front of me but didn’t dare to look at me.

 

“Get use to punches from now on.”

 

After telling me those words, he continued his pace and went to his room.

 

So will that mean, more punches are coming? Oh crap!

 

I was almost done cooking when Andrew came and got himself something to drink from the refrigerator.

 

“Thank you, Drew.” These were the only words that came out from my mouth.

 

He didn’t say anything but still I was thankful to him.

 

Dinner was ready and they started eating. There were no talks at all. Hitting of utensils was the only sound I could hear in the dining room.

 

“I’m full,” Andrew wiped his mouth with the table napkin, “I’m going ahead. Good night.”

 

Everyone was done eating supper and I was done cleaning the dining room and the kitchen as well. I took some of the leftovers I set aside and was about to eat them when Uncle Ed came in the kitchen.

 

“What are you supposed to be doing right now, Cinder?” He asked me calmly.

 

“Eating supper, Uncle Ed,” I answered innocently, “You told me to eat the leftovers so that it won’t be a waste, right?”

 

“That’s right,” He agreed, “But have you forgotten something?”

 

I didn’t answer. I didn’t exactly remember what he said to me.

 

“I told you to get the table done and go to your room,” He said sarcastically, “I did not say ‘Get the table done, eat your dinner and go to your room.”

 

“B-but Uncle Ed, I’m hungry,” I insisted.

 

“Throw that and go to your room,” He raised his voice, “Now!”

 

I was inside my room at the attic. Yes, attic. As soon as mother left for work, I started living at the attic.

 

No matter what position I made, I still couldn’t sleep. My stomach was grumbling. If only mother was here, I could be able to eat what I want.

 

I just realized that a tear dropped from my eye.

 

I was about to close my eyes when I heard a noise coming from the porch near the window. I quickly went to see what it was only to find out a basket containing two fried chicken legs, two garlic breads, a bottle of milk and a bottle of water. I brought it inside and ate the foods right away. I was full. Hunger no longer existed.

 

I bowed down and thanked God.

 

“Thank you, Almighty Father.”

 

Because of that, I was able to get a good sleep despite of the dizziness I felt and the bruise I got on my lips.

 

  • End of Flashback  -

 

Up until now, I still wonder who gave that to me. I know God helped me but who sent it to me by the window?

 

Whoever that person is, he saved my life.

 

“Let’s just say, ‘Genie in the Attic’ helped me that night.”

 

Last piece of clothe to hang up and I’m done with the laundry.

 

“Remembering past happenings sure do kill the time,” I chuckled.

 

“I wonder when I can get a happily ever after moment?” I asked myself as I started sweeping the floor.

 

“But I guess, happily ever after moments only remain in fairytale,” I said, “Life’s not a fairytale after all.”

 

I was done with all my household chores for the day, it was a bit tiring but at least I haven’t been experiencing punches lately.

 

The doorbell rang and I went to see who it was.

 

“Welcome back.” I greeted and bowed.

 

They passed by me again, like I said before ‘déjà vu’. Uncle Ed was looking at every part of the house.

 

“Good.” He muttered.

 

I felt relieved.

 

“Since you’ve been doing good these days,” He said, “I brought something for you from town.”


He handed me a paper bag.

 

A smile grew on my face.

 

“Oh thank you so much, Uncle Ed.” I bowed at him as a sign of my gratitude.

 

“Here!” Ray push the other paper bags to my stomach, “Bring this to the storage room!”

 

“Y-yes, Ray.” I answered and went to put the items in the storage room.

 

I went to my room at the attic and get some rest. I opened the paper bag that Uncle Ed gave to me.

 

He gave me a pair of new rubber shoes.

 

“Thanks Uncle Ed,” I said while looking at my new pair of shoes, “Thought, it’s not your nature to be good to me.”

 

I smirked and went off to bed.

 

“Tomorrow’s gonna be another day,” I told myself while looking at a picture frame, “Good night, mom, dad.”

 

I was about to close my eyes when I suddenly realized something’s lacking.

 

“Oh yea, good night Mr. Genie in the Attic.”

 

_________________

-Niksama 12/16/11