Dream.

GITA: Another Cinder and Ella Story

 

Chapter 5

 

“Cinder!”

 

My eyes widened when I saw someone familiar sitting on the couch.

 

“Mom?” I said.

“Yes, son,” She stood up and spread her arms.

 

I came running towards her but then realized that Uncle Ed was also there.

 

“I’m home, Uncle Ed,” I bowed as he raised his chin.

 

I focused my attention on mom and hugged her so tightly.

 

“I’ve missed you mom,” I said as she kissed me on the cheeks.

 

“I’ve missed you too, Cinder,” She replied and then let go of my hug.

 

“Why you so early mom?” I asked, “5 months isn’t over yet.”

 

“You don’t want to see me, Cinder?” Mom asked as she fixed my hair.

 

“That’s not what I meant,” I muttered, “Of course, I would love to see you mom.”

 

“I want you to be by my side,” I added as I took a glance on Uncle Ed, “forever.”

 

Mom hugged me again.

 

I broke the hug when my cousins came.

 

Ray was shocked to see mom standing by my side.

 

“Welcome back, Aunt Claire,” Ray greeted mom with a kiss on the cheeks.

 

Andrew came near to her and hugged her for a while. Mom secretly smiled as soon as Andrew let go.

 

“Right boys,” She declared, “I’ve brought something for you.”

 

Mom handed each of them a paper bag.

 

“Thanks Aunt Claire,” Andrew said looking inside the paper, “I’m going to my room now.”

 

Ray followed his brother.

 

“So mom, where are you going to stay?” I asked.

 

“Well, I was planning to be staying in your room, son” She replied as my eyebrows furrowed.

 

“What?” I exclaimed, “B-but my~”

 

Uncle Ed cut in. Well, he’s fond of cutting in my sentence before I’d finish it.

 

“It’s okay, Cinder,” He said smiling, “Your mom can stay in your room.”

 

He made a face. I already know what he meant.

 

“Y-yes, Uncle Ed,” I said and accompanied mom to my old room, not the room in the attic though.

 

When we reached my room, I was shocked to see everything’s in order. I opened the cabinet and my clothes were in there. My books and other school stuffs were organized on the study table.

 

“Oh great,” I murmured.

 

I left mom in my room and headed to the kitchen to cook for supper.

 

Uncle Ed came in.

 

“Thank you, Uncle Ed,” I spoke and bowed.

 

“Since your mother will be staying here for a month,” He said as my eyes broadened.

 

A month is long enough to get away from punches.

 

I was really grinning inside.

 

“Cinder, are you even listening to me?” He crossed his arms.

 

“Of course, I am, Uncle Ed,” I replied, “Go on.”

 

“So, like I said, since your mother will be staying here for a month, we’ll be eating dinner together and you’ll be staying in your room for a while,” He uttered.

 

“Yes, Uncle Ed,” I said as I poured some soup on the bowl, “But don’t you worry, Uncle Ed, I’ll still be working like before.”

 

“Just leave everything to me,” I said, “I won’t let mom know that you’re sometimes mean to me.”

 

I gave him a grin and went back to my work.

 

“By the way, why were you almost late this afternoon?” He asked as he gave himself a glass of water.

 

“I-I auditioned for a musical play, Uncle Cinder,” I replied.

 

“Oh, I see,” These were the only words that came out from his mouth.

 

Everyone was done eating supper and I was in the kitchen washing the plates when mom came in.

 

“Cinder,” Mom spoke at my back, “Why are you doing all of this?”

 

I gulped.

 

“Well, you see mom, it feels awkward to be a free loader here,” I replied as I continued washing the plates. “That’s why I also help in the household chores.”

 

Did I convince her this time?

 

Hopefully.

 

“That’s so nice of you, son,” Mom helped me with my work, “But are you sure you can balance it with your studies?”

 

“Oh yes, mother I definitely can balance it,” I smiled, “Don’t worry about me.”

 

Mom was already asleep while I was still up for studying.

 

My phone rang with an unknown caller flashing on the screen.

 

“Who could it be?” I thought as I flipped my phone.

 

“Hello?” I spoke.

 

“Hello, is this Cinder?” The voice startled me. “Who’s this please?”

 

“Oh Cinder, it’s me Ella.”

 

Right. It’s her.

 

“Good evening to you, Ella,” I greeted her, “Where’d you get my number by the way?”

 

What a question.

 

“I got it from Jasper,” She answered, “I just called to check you up.”

 

I blushed. I became speechless for a while.

 

“Hey Cinder, you still there?” Ella called out.

 

“Y-yes Ella. Don’t worry, I’m fine here,” I replied, “Why? Is something wrong?”

 

“Well, don’t be mad at me or at Jasper, okay? Jasper told me about your situation with your uncle and cousins,” Ella said nervously.

 

“I see,” I said in a low tone, “My mom has arrived today from Heathrow, and she said she’ll be staying here in Colchester for a month. So I guess I’ll be free from punches for a while?”

 

We two laughed.

 

We talked for a couple of things for a while and then decided to hang up.

 

Her voice was still echoing inside my mind. Smile could be seen on my face.

 

She’s such a nice person.

 

So fortunate for me to have her as a friend.

 

I went back to studying. Time had passed and as I was flipping through the pages of my book, I found something.

 

A piece of paper that the Genie in the Attic had given me the last time Ray beat me.

 

I tiptoed as I went out the room and headed to my other room at the attic.

 

I went inside and opened the window at the porch.

 

I found another piece of paper, the same paper left the other night.

 

It says,

 

“Looks like you’ll be safe from punches for a while.

That’s a great news then.

I heard that you had auditioned for the upcoming musical play.

Good luck.

 

--GITA”

 

Again, the letter was typewritten.

 

GITA. Genie in the Attic, I supposed.

 

I grabbed a pen and a piece of paper and wrote something on it.

 

“Thanks! I owe you a lot.

I did auditioned but I’m not hoping to get the role though.

 

--C.H.”

 

I left it outside the window and went back to my room.

 

I was sleepy already and so I decided to sleep.

 

I dreamed the same thing lately…

 

Booossssh!

 

Ten years ago, I passed by the children’s playground one late afternoon when I saw a little girl sitting alone at the swing. She was crying. I came near to her and asked,

 

“Are you alright?”

 

She raised her head and tried to wipe her eyes but tears were still falling from her eyes.

 

“Here,” I handed her my hanky, “What’s the problem?”

 

She showed me her knee.

 

“Hey! You’re wounded,” I exclaimed, “Good thing I bought some band-aid here.”

 

I got a band-aid and stuck it on her knee.

 

“There you go,” I uttered, “You don’t have to cry now.”

 

“Let me guess,” I added, “You fell from the swing?”

 

She nodded.

 

“Well, every kid’s prone to accident you know,” I said as I sat on the other swing and began swinging myself. “I too, fell already. It’s embarrassing for a boy  to say this but I did cry too.”

 

“You did?” The little girl of my age began to talk already.

 

I really thought she was mute at first.

 

Silly me.

 

“Yes,” I nodded.

 

“Everyone should cry in order to let out what they feel inside,” I added, sounding like a grown up.

 

“I see,” She said wiping her face.

 

“However, there is a disadvantage,” I said seriously.

 

She just gave me a what-is-it look.

 

“You will look like a panda if you won’t stop crying,” I said grinning.

 

We two laughed.

 

“Thank you!” She said as she reached her hand towards me.

 

We shook hands.

 

“What’s your name by the way?” I asked her as I let go of her hand.

 

“My name is…”

 

Kriiinnnngggg! Kriiinnnngggg!

 

Gah. My alarm clocked is ringing.

 

“That dream again,” I said rubbing my hair, “What was her name again?”

 

At school.

 

“Cinder!” Jasper came running towards me, “I have news for you!”

 

“What news?” I inquired raising my eyebrows.

 

“What do you wanna hear first, bad or good?” He said while catching his breath.

 

“Bad,” I replied with a bitter smile.

 

“The bad news,” He paused for a while, “You’re the center of the talk this day.”

 

“Eh? Why’s that?” I said raising my left eyebrow.

 

“That’s because of the good news,” He muttered, “You got the role, Cinder!”

 

My eyes widened.

 

“I got F-Flint Rider?” I asked pointing to myself.

 

“Yes buddy, congratulations!”

 

“Cinder!” Ella visited the room with a very wide grin, “Congratulations!”

 

“Thanks Ella,” I gave her a smile.

 

 I couldn’t believe it. Out of 20 12th grade boys who auditioned for Flint Rider, I was so fortunate to be chosen to play as Flint Rider.

 

Some students congratulated me.

 

At the Arts and Theatre bulletin, my name was posted as the one who will be playing as Flint Rider.

 

There was also another announcement, that all casts and crews should be at the theatre hall by 4:00 in the afternoon.

 

At the Theatre hall.

 

The casts and crews were already there.

 

“Cinder!”

 

Someone called from behind.

 

_______________________

-Niksama 12/26/11