-IX-

Illusions

‘Yerin.’ Dahyun smiled as she entered the ward.

‘Hello. I believe you’re Dahyun, Sana’s girlfriend.’ Yerin smiled and nodded her head.

‘Yes. You must have seen the pictures. Can we talk?’ Dahyun sat down beside the bed and placed the hamper on the table.

‘Sure. What would you like to talk about?’

‘I’d like to help you regain your memories. Can you tell me what you can remember?’ Dahyun asked gently and Yerin’s eyes shifted to the left.

‘The last thing I remembered was when I met Eunbi for a date.’ Yerin said after some thought.

‘Recently?’

‘Well… according to everyone, it’s 2017 but I remember clearly it happened in 2014.’

‘You don’t remember any huge explosion?’ Dahyun asked, leaning forward in concern.

‘Not at all. There was?’ Yerin asked, looking truly confused.

‘There is! It killed several people and almost killed you and Sana! How can you forget that? You could have died back there!’ Dahyun said, losing her composure and raised her voice slightly, making Yerin flinch and place a hand on her head.

‘I’m sorry. I couldn’t control my temper.’ Dahyun said and Yerin brushed her off.

‘It’s fine. You deserve to be frustrated. After all, I’m the one to be blamed for forgetting such an important thing. I even forgot Sana who had been my best friend other than Eunbi.’ Yerin sighed.

‘I can tell you that the explosion was because of a leaky gas pipe. It was a freak accident blamed on the negligence of the maintenance crew of the building for failing to inspect the pipes and making sure that it was safe.’ Dahyun said and reached into her blazer pocket, pulling out a folded newspaper cutting.

‘Here, this is the most complete coverage of the incident. If you remember anything else, feel free to give me a call.’ Dahyun smiled and patted Yerin’s hand before taking her leave.

A few hours after Dahyun left, Yerin decided to go over the articles that the girl had given her while waiting for Eunbi to arrive. She read the article and looked at the picture of the blazing building. Suddenly, she felt like someone punched her in the head and she winced, piece of paper falling from her hand to her lap as she grabbed her head.

‘Yerin! What’s wrong?’ Eunbi asked as she rushed to the bed. She had arrived just in time.

‘Phone.’ Yerin grimaced and Eunbi took Yerin’s phone from the drawer.

‘What do you want?’

‘Call Dahyun. Tell her I remembered something. Fire at the firm.’ Yerin said as she rubbed her head. Eunbi did as she was told while pressing the call button by the side of the bed to alert the doctors. It didn’t take long before the doctors arrived in the room to give Yerin a check-up.

 


 

‘Fire? Here?’ Mina asked and Jeongyeon nodded as she her ice cream.

‘This whole place was almost destroyed. I wasn’t around yet but Jihyo was. Yerin was too. She was working for Sana but went out of commission because of that accident and I filled in her post.’ Jeongyeon said and looked at the said girl who nodded.

‘Everything was charred. The walls, the floor... It was like someone splashed the whole place with black paint. All our documents were lost in the fire.’ Jihyo sighed as she remembered the terrible shock she had received when Sana had called her.

‘How long ago was that?’ Mina asked.

‘About two years?’ Jihyo said, narrowing her eyes.

‘Same year as the explosion?’

‘Yeah. Just a few months apart.’

‘It can’t be a coincidence. I think someone was after something.’ Mina said as she tapped her fingers on the desk.

‘I second that. A little fishy how the police weren’t informed since Sana said that it was fine as nothing significantly important was lost. All our cases had been cleared so the old documents weren’t really important.’ Jeongyeon said in between .

‘I don’t think we should dig into that anymore. Sana has said to put it behind us. I don’t think she would be too happy if it is resurfaced.’ Jihyo said and Mina sighed, nodding casually.

 

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

 

‘So you’re saying the fire was a purposeful job?’ Sana raised an eyebrow and Mina nodded. The latter had actually expected Sana to get angry for bringing the topic up but the girl actually seemed interested to listen.

‘Don’t you find it weird how you were involved in two separate accidents within a year and each just month away from one another?’

‘Well it is kinda fishy now that you say it. But what if it was an accident?’ Sana said and Mina shook her head.

‘Something tells me that it’s not. I would say my gut feelings are almost completely accurate. There’s just something about it that seems off.’ Mina let out a deep sigh. ‘Why didn’t you call the police anyway?’

‘My dad convinced me not to since nothing important was lost. He seemed persistent and he usually isn’t so I decided to listen to him.’ Sana shrugged.

‘Was there any surveillance footage?’ Mina prodded and Sana seemed to think for a minute before answering.

‘None.’

‘Have you ever thought that it was erased intentionally? Like someone was out to cover up their traces.’ Mina said and Sana looked at her as if receiving enlightenment.

‘You’re right. I didn’t think of that.’ Sana said as she nodded her head. Just then, her phone buzzed and she checked it.

‘Sorry, I got to go. Take care of the firm for me yea?’ Sana said as she grabbed her bag and patted Mina’s shoulder with a smile before leaving.

 

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

 

‘Yerin says she remembers the firm being on fire.’ Dahyun said as Sana got into the car.

‘Really?’ Sana asked, feeling a little happy. That happened a few months after Sana had met Yerin and offered to help the girl with her problems. ‘But how do you know?’

‘I paid her a visit and told her to tell me if she remembers anything.’

‘You didn’t have to. You’re already busy with your own work.’ Sana pouted at Dahyun who patted her thigh.

‘I promised you that I would help you didn’t I? I will never break my promises.’ Dahyun smiled. ‘One thing you should take note of is Yerin. She seemed to be a little down when I visited her. I fear that she might be mentally affected so be sure to spend more time with her.’

‘I will. Thank you.’ Sana nodded and Dahyun shook her head before driving off.

‘I have also contacted the managers working at the office at that time to ask for more information to help fill the gaps. I’m sure we will be able to get some idea as to what happened that night.’ Dahyun added and Sana hummed in response.

 


 

‘Seems like we’re not rabbit watching today.’ Mina said as she looked through her binoculars. ‘Want to snap some pictures?’ the girl turned to Sana who had a small camera in hand but was spacing off.

‘Sana?’ Mina asked again and the girl seemed to snap out of her daze.

‘Sorry.’ Sana sighed.

‘You seem distracted. Are you alright?’ Mina asked but Sana was looking at something behind her.

‘They’re leaving. Let’s go.’ Sana ignored Mina’s question and they stood up, following the couple. Mina placed her arm around Sana.

‘Act like a couple so we won’t be suspicious.’ Mina said and Sana placed her hand around Mina’s waist, leaning her head on Mina’s shoulder. The couple had stopped at a gazebo and began to feel each other up.

‘Scratch that. We’re rabbit spotting today.’ Mina said and Sana turned her body to stand in front of Mina, wrapping her arms around the girl’s waist as the girl looped her arms around Sana’s neck with the camera. Holding her hand steady, she recorded the evidence needed to expose their adulterous deeds.

‘Nasty.’ Mina winced as she recorded it. She could feel Sana’s body heat against hers and the smell of her perfume was overwhelming. Mina slowly leaned her head against Sana’s but the girl’s voice startled her and she quickly moved away.

‘Are they done?’ Sana asked, voice slightly muffled by Mina’s shoulder.

‘No but I think this is enough.’ Mina said and they pulled away from the hug. ‘Look.’ Mina said and showed Sana the video and they looked at each other when they realized how close their faces were. Sana’s eyes shifted quickly from Mina’s lips to her eyes and Mina froze when she noticed the action. Mina unconsciously moved closer towards Sana and the girl didn’t seem to pull away.

She has a girlfriend, Mina thought and she flinched, pulling away and so did Sana.

‘Game over.’ Mina grinned and walked off, leaving Sana feeling very confused.

 

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

 

‘I asked my dad about the fire. He says that it might be an act of revenge from a previous client rather than a creditor.’ Dahyun said and Yerin frowned.

‘Client? But I remember that I have a heavy debt with an underworld organization. I had much problem dealing with them and they were constantly on my tail Ae you sure it’s not them?’ Yerin asked and Dahyun sighed.

‘It’s not. The police have investigated and confirmed that it is not the main cause.’ Dahyun said. Yerin frowned but accepted it anyway.

‘Then what about the explosion? Could that have been planned?’ Yerin asked and Dahyun seemed to pause for just a second.

‘I don’t think so. How could they risk an entire building of people to kill just… you?’ Dahyun asked and Yerin seemed to make some sense of it.

‘I guess it does make sense.’ Yerin said and Dahyun nodded along with the girl, gaze filled with many mixed emotions.

 


 

‘Mama, I’m home and Mina is here.’ Sana said as the pair kicked off their shoes.

‘Mina! It’s nice to see you again.’ Mr Minatozaki smiled at the girl who shook his hand with an equally wide grin. ‘Dahyun is here as well if you don’t mind.’

‘Oh sure, no problem at all.’ Mina smiled but felt a slight pang in her heart. ‘It’s your house anyway, I’m just a guest. I can’t say no can I?’

‘Well said but we care for all our guests.’ Mr Minatozaki chuckled and clapped her on the back. They walked to the dining able and saw Dahyun bringing out a pot of soup for Mrs Minatozaki.

‘Mina? It’s nice to see you.’ Dahyun smiled and nodded.

‘I could say the same to you.’ Mina gave a wry smile.

‘Come, let’s eat.’ Mrs Minatozaki said and they say down. Sana found herself sandwiched between Mina and Dahyun while her parents sat on the other side of the table.

‘How is Yerin? I think we should pay her a visit soon.’ Mr Minatozaki said as he scooped some soup into his bowl.

‘She’s doing well but I’m afraid she might be mentally affected due to her inability to remember certain events. She might get stressed over it so I think we should spend some time with her.’ Dahyun said.

‘We should indeed.’ Mina nodded.

‘Oh Sana, Dahyun bought a lovely evening gown for you. It’s on the bed.’ Mrs Minatozaki smiled and Sana looked surprised.

‘You didn’t have to.’ Sana looked at Dahyun and Mina watched the two interact silently.

‘It’s fine; don’t stand on ceremony with me. You are my girlfriend after all.’ Dahyun smiled and Mrs Minatozaki gushed at their cuteness.

‘Aren’t they cute?’

‘Yeah, really cute.’ Mina smiled at Sana’s parents but it never reached her eyes.

 

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

 

Sana walked up to Dahyun’s room to find the girl sleeping on her desk, laptop and various documents spread messily over the desk.

‘She’s busy with researching and finding the people that were working at the office or had some connections in any way to the explosion. She must have been worn out along with her work.’ Jin-an said as Sana walked out from Dahyun’s room.

She watched as he walked into the room and tapped Dahyun on the back.

‘Dahyun, Sana brought you breakfast.’ Jin-an said and Dahyun raised her head. Sana caught sight of the photos that Dahyun was sleeping on and her eyes widened. She reached out to grab the pictures and wrestled with Dahyun for them. She managed to pry them out of Dahyun’s hands and looked at the photos in shock.

‘I guess we can’t keep Sana in the dark anymore.’ Jin-an sighed.

‘Keep what?’ Sana demanded to know, gripping the photos tightly.

‘Two years ago, a ringleader asked me to check on his husband to see if he was having an affair. I followed him and discovered that his mistress was your friend’s fiancée. One of the reasons why Yerin was in huge debt was because the ringleader extorted money from Eunbi and Yerin didn’t let her suffer alone. Who knew the ringleader would be ruthless enough to take revenge on Yerin himself, tormenting her. It was also the same ringleader that set fire to the firm.’ Jin-an explained.

‘Your dad knew about this since appa and him were good friends and he didn’t want you to get upset at Yerin or hate Eunbi for causing your friend more trouble so he convinced you not to call the police.’ Dahyun said.

‘I can’t imagine if Yerin were to recall her terrible past. It would be such a big blow to her and it would cause her more pain as well as potentially damage her relationship with Eunbi.’ Jin-an shook his head.

‘I visit Yerin often these days and she seems to be in low spirits. Could she have remembered something?’ Sana looked at Dahyun and her dad who seemed anxious.

 

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

 

Yerin dropped the cup onto her lap as she stared at the window. Thankfully the cup was empty so the girl wasn’t drenched.

‘Yerin? Are you okay?’ Eunbi asked as she took the cup from Yerin’s lap.

‘There’s someone watching us.’

‘Who?’ Eunbi asked, confused. There wasn’t anyone outside the window since the ward was on the tenth floor and the opposite building was another hospital block. ‘It could just be another patient from the opposite ward. Relax okay?’

‘No, there’s someone else watching.’ Yerin said and her pupils dilated as she looked around the room. ‘You have to believe me.’

‘Don’t worry, I believe you. I’ll protect you, okay?’ Eunbi smiled and Yerin nodded slowly.

‘Hello.’ Sana smiled as she entered the room. Eunbi walked up to her and turned back to face Yerin.

‘We’ll be outside for a little, okay?’ She asked and the girl nodded. They walked out to the hall and stood a distance from the door.

‘Before you came, Yerin was saying that we were being watched but someone. She was looking out of the window and all, as if someone was outside.’ Eunbi said and Sana’s eyes widened.

‘Watched?’ Sana asked sceptically. She remembered Dahyun saying that Yerin might stress herself for not remembering all these previous events that she could start to hallucinate and hear things.

‘Sana?’ Eunbi waved her hand in front of Sana’s face and the girl snapped out of her thoughts.

‘I fear she might have signs of depression from bottling up her feelings.’

‘Depression? Would she…’

‘No. We will have to observe and keep an eye on her.’ Sana shook her head firmly. Unbeknownst to them, Yerin was leaning against the door of the ward. She heard every word they have said.

 


 

‘How can he do this to me?’ The woman sobbed as Sana showed her the recording of her husband in the act with his mistress. ‘I loved him so much.’

Sana pursed her lips and patted her back. Mina and Jeongyeon were peeping at them from the pantry while they sipped their coffee.

‘He’s definitely done for.’ Mina said into her mug.

‘You and boss caught him in the act real easily. I think I can see why she keeps letting it slide till now.’

‘A leopard never changes it spots. Once a man cheats, he can never be trusted again.’ Mina shook her head.

‘Aren’t you always being merciful with second chances? What’s with you not forgiving him?’

‘He’s a playboy. Playboys can never be trusted. Understand?’

‘Why? Had a playboy broke your heart before?’ Jeongyeon teased and Mina glared at her.

‘No. But it’s an obvious thing. Would you date a playboy?’

‘Touché.’ Jeongyeon nodded.

‘Go with him alright? You can still salvage this.’ Sana said as she sent the woman off.

‘Did you just ask her to give him a second chance?’ Mina asked as she walked up to Sana.

‘Sometimes we all need to suffer a little to realize what we actually need and don’t need rather than to have someone tell you what to do.’ Sana said.

‘You two okay? You’re becoming more like each other it’s scaring me.’ Jeongyeon said and shifted her gaze between the two girls.

‘Hello.’ Dahyun’s voice sounded from the entrance and they all turned towards the voice. Sana smiled as Dahyun ran a hand down her back. She gave Mina one glance before walking to her desk to gather her things.

‘We’re leaving now, bye.’ Dahyun nodded and the two smiled. Mina was sat on Jihyo’s table much to the girl’s chagrin as she rubbed her left knee.

‘Do you feel heartache?’ Jeongyeon asked as she rubbed her hand over Mina’s heart.

‘No and don’t take advantage of me.’ Mina pushed Jeongyeon’s hand away with her index finger and Jihyo chuckled.

‘Are you sure you’re not lovesick?’ Jihyo asked and Mina groaned.

‘Can you two not do this to me?’ Mina rubbed her knee and they laughed at her.

 

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

 

Dahyun had brought Sana out to another fancy restaurant for dinner. The latter was poking her fish without any expression.

‘No appetite?’ Dahyun asked and Sana shook her head.

‘Then you can just have some desert. Don’t force yourself if you don’t have an appetite. Are you worried about Yerin?’

‘Yeah… She does seem to be hallucinating that someone is watching her.’ Sana rubbed her hands together.

‘Don’t worry; I have booked an appointment with one of the best psychiatrists. I believe with expert help, we would be able to assist her in regaining her memories sooner.’ Dahyun smiled and reached out to pat Sana’s hand.

‘Would you give me ten minutes of your time?’ Dahyun asked and Sana looked at her.

‘Why?’

‘I want you to clear your mind and only think about happy thoughts.’ Dahyun smiled and let go of Sana’s hands. She stood up and walked over to a grand piano near their table and sat down on the seat. Stretching her fingers, she began to play Chopin’s Nocturne in E-flat major, Op. 9, No. 2. Sana smiled at the girl who looked ever so charming behind the piano and rested her head on her palm as she let the music seep in.

Dahyun would occasionally look up at the girl and smile, making Sana’s heart flutter.

 

‘Help!’ Sana yelled from the pond and Dahyun bolted over, gripping the straps of her schoolbag tightly as her bag bounced around with every step she took. She ran in front of Sana and shoved the boys away.

‘Don’t tough her!’ Dahyun yelled and pushed one of the boys away. One tried to push her back but Dahyun caught his arms and twisted his wrists, making him yelp before she shoved him back as well.

‘Let’s go!’ Dahyun said and grabbed Sana’s hand, pulling her along as she ran towards a quieter area. Dahyun bought two ice creams; one for Sana and one for herself. They sat down and happily ate.

‘Dahyun, can you teach me Taekwondo?’ Sana asked and the girl turned to look at her.

‘You don’t need to learn to fight if I’m there to protect you.’ Dahyun said and a drop of ice cream that had melted.

‘But what if you’re not around? I can’t always depend on you either.’ Sana pouted and Dahyun seemed to consider for a little while.

‘Alright, I’ll teach you.’ Dahyun said and Sana grinned.

They went to the practice hall. Sana was struggling with her belt so Dahyun stepped in and helped her.

‘Let’s begin.’ Dahyun smiled. They started with simple moves, taking their opponent to the ground and tossing them over the shoulder. Each time they tried Sana would always fail and Dahyun was continuously the one throwing Sana to the ground.

As time passed, Sana’s belt changed from white to purple to brown. When she finally did manage to take Dahyun down, she was almost at the highest rank.

Sana grabbed Dahyun’s collar and pushed the girl, placing her leg behind Dahyun’s and tipped the girl off balance and she crashed to the mat. The photographer stood beside Dahyun with her black belt displayed proudly around her waist. Dahyun gave a proud smile as she clambered to her feet.

The girl reached out to grab Sana’s collar and they began wrestling, twisting and trashing around to avoid being tripped by the other. Finally, Dahyun managed to put Sana down and the girl sprang back up to do the same to Dahyun.

‘Looks like I can’t show mercy anymore.’ Dahyun laughed as they began fighting.

‘When have you ever?’ Sana grinned and Dahyun flipped her over onto the mat before collapsing beside her. They turned to face each other and burst out in a fit of laughter.

 

‘Thanks for sending me home. You didn’t have to.’ Sana said and Dahyun tucked her hands in her coat pocket.

‘No problem at all. It looks like you’re too tired to entertain anymore sad thoughts for tonight.’ Dahyun smiled. ‘You’ve always been reluctant to bring trouble to others because you never want to be a burden, but don’t keep this burden to yourself. Let me bear it with you. Let me protect you.’

‘What do you mean?’ Sana stopped and turned to Dahyun who withdrew a small velvet box from her pocket. She opened it and revealed a simple ring with two glittering diamonds.

‘Are you serious here?’ Sana gasped in shock and Dahyun nodded. She was about to kneel but Sana stopped her.

‘You don’t have to. I…’ Sana trailed off as flashes of Mina appeared in her head. ‘Can you let me consider?’

‘Sure. I don’t wish to rush you anyway. Keep this till you think you’re ready to wear it.’ Dahyun placed it in Sana’s hands. She leaned in for a kiss but Sana moved away slightly. Dahyun advanced anyway and placed a kiss on her cheek before walking to her car and driving off, leaving Sana more confused than ever.

 


 

Mina was at the bar drinking the new drinks that Tzuyu had come up with.

‘Love problems?’ Tzuyu asked as she watched Mina sip her concoction.

‘I don’t know. I told myself I wouldn’t fall in love anymore to avoid getting hurt. I told myself not to give my heart away so easily or I might get nothing in return but I just… Don’t know. It feels like she has broken through the walls that I had painstakingly set up with just the snap of her fingers.’ Mina sighed.

Tzuyu pursed her lips as she fidgeted with her towel.

‘Mina, I have something to tell you.’ Tzuyu bit her lips and Mina looked up.

‘I know who caused the explosion that Sana and Yerin was in. And I know who assaulted you.’ Tzuyu said and Mina felt her blood run cold. The hair on the back of her neck was standing and she could feel chills down her spine.

‘Who?’ Mina asked, emotionless and expressionless.

‘It’s… WonSik.’ Tzuyu said, slightly afraid of Mina’s reaction.

‘WonSik? My disciple?’ Mina asked in disbelief. ‘My student?’

Tzuyu could only nod.

‘You’re a private investigator; you can dig up more information than I can.’ Tzuyu said softly but Mina could hear her loud and clear.

‘I have been trying recently but it doesn’t seem easy. But I will continue to try. I’m already in such a poor state with no way of recovering my image and reputation. What more do I have to lose?’ Mina said bitterly and placed her tumbler on the marble counter top.

‘Please be safe. Chaeyoung recently found some photos from WonSik’s drawer.’ Tzuyu said.

‘How did she do that?’ Mina asked. Her mind was a blur. There were so many thoughts going through her mind and so many questions that desperately needed answers.

‘There was a fieldtrip recently for her class and she went to the company that you and WonSik worked at. She took a wrong turn for the washroom and found his office. She would have left but he heard him speaking to someone over the phone and your name was mentioned. Finding something suspicious, she waited till he left before going in to look. His drawer was pulled out and there were photos of you and Momo unnie.

I looked through them. Without context, it looked like you did break someone else’s relationship. They used old photos of you two to make it seem like it was recent. That’s how some of those photos appeared on the articles and that’s why so many people wronged your innocence.’

‘That bastard.’ Mina growled and clenched her hand. She had clean forgotten that she still had a hold on the tumbler and it shattered in her hand.

‘Unnie!’ Tzuyu yelped in shock and used her rag to brush the shards off the counter top. ‘are you injured?’

Mina looked at her hand and saw that there were a few cuts, some of which were bleeding.

‘Slightly but I’ll be fine.’ Mina got up and walked around the counter to the sink and rinsed her hand. ‘Where are the photos?’ Mina asked as she dabbed her hand dry.

‘They’re at home. I’ll give them to you when we get home. My shift is ending soon, wait a little unnie. Okay?’ Tzuyu asked and Mina nodded.