-VII-

Illusions

‘Jin-an, you should have told us Dahyun was coming back earlier than expected.’ Mr Minatozaki smiled at his old friend across the dinner table. Dahyun and her father had showed up at the Minatozakis’ house as a surprise visit.

‘It wouldn’t be a surprise then would it?’ Dahyun chuckled.

‘It’s a surprise indeed. Right Sana?’ Mr Minatozaki asked Sana who was spacing out.

‘Huh?’

‘Look, she’s so shocked she can’t even speak.’ Mrs Minatozaki chuckled.

‘I’m just surprised. I saw someone who looked like her at the bar yesterday.’ Sana said.

‘Really? Which bar?’ Dahyun asked, looking at the girl.

‘You didn’t see me?’

‘Perhaps I was a little tipsy and couldn’t remember. By the way, why didn’t you call me?’

‘I didn’t want to disturb you if you were working.’ Sana gave a small smile.

‘Look at Sana, so considerate. Do you know, the moment she came back, she said she had a meeting. Her calls went unanswered and she didn’t even come home for a day! What could possibly be more important than her own father and girlfriend?’ Jin-an said and gave a jovial smile at Dahyun who only laughed it off.

‘A serious businesswoman is often the most attractive.’ Mr Minatozaki said and they all laughed, all but Sana who couldn’t stop thinking about what she saw yesterday night.

 

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

 

Mina was staring at the pictures on her desk as she tried to get a hold of Momo over the phone. So far, the girl didn’t seem to be picking up.

‘You sure you want to take this case? I mean, you had some bad memories with… her. You could always call out and we can take over. I’m a photographer as well you know?’ Jihyo said as she patted Mina’s shoulders.

‘Yeah, if it makes you unhappy or anything you can just drop it. Sometimes it matters more about your own mental well-being than being professional.’ Jeongyeon chimed in, wheeling around to Mina’s desk.

‘You could leave a message. Maybe she’s just busy.’

‘As busy as she is she still has to take a break isn’t it?’ Mina said as she stood up and gathered the photos into an envelope.

‘Wait, where are you going? We don’t deliver the photos personally.’ Jihyo said.

‘She’s just trying to relive old memories, let her be.’ Jeongyeon teased and Mina glared at her before leaving the firm.

‘Jeongyeon, these photos are ready, you can contact the client.’ Sana said as she took off her earphones.

‘Okay.’

‘We’re going to the noraebang tonight right? If there isn’t anything else, we can wrap up for today.’ Sana asked and Jihyo nodded.

‘Hey, Dahyun is here.’ Jihyo said and Sana turned around. Dahyun was in a casual outfit of jeans and a white tee. She greeted everyone with a smile and a nod.

‘You should have called me before coming.’ Sana smiled at the girl as she walked up to her.

‘You’re probably too busy to answer your calls even if I did give you a call.’

‘I forgot that I have to handle a case later on.’ Sana lied and the other two girls turned to look at her.

‘I thought I heard you say that you guys are wrapping up early for today?’ Dahyun asked. Sana looked down in silence and Dahyun took a deep breath. ‘It’s alright; I can follow you to your location. Besides, there will be a lot of time on our hands. I have a few things I’d like to talk to you about.’

‘Okay.’ Sana said.

 

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

 

Sana and Dahyun stood by the Han River.

‘Were you really busy in Hong Kong? Will you be going back?’ Sana asked as she rested her hand on Dahyun’s.

‘Sana, I-’

‘Maybe we should set aside a specific time to talk, that way we will know when we won’t be disturbing each other and we will look forward to that time of the day.’ Sana smiled at Dahyun who looked slightly apprehensive.

‘Sana, listen to me.’ Dahyun said gently but Sana pulled her hand back and looked out over the river.

‘My parents would love to go to Hong Kong. My mum could go shopping and my dad would enjoy the culture there. Your dad could be their guide around the place. They would… enjoy themselves.’ Sana said as she turned to look at Dahyun who was looking down at the water with a sad smile.

‘What did you want to say?’ Sana asked after a moment of silence. She could escape it anymore.

 

 

‘If you find out he was unfaithful, would you still marry him?’ Mina asked Momo who was sipping her tea. They had arranged to meet at a café near Momo’s office.

‘I would.’

‘Then why did you still want to check up on him?’ Mina asked with a slight frown.

‘Maybe I just need to be assured that he loves me the most.’

‘Assured? You mean you can’t feel or tell if he truly loves you?’ Mina’s frown deepened as she leaned slightly towards Momo.

 

 

‘Sorry Sana. I really am. I just can’t feel it anymore. People change and so do feelings.’ Dahyun turned to face Sana who was looking at the ground. ‘What I used to enjoy in the past, I might not enjoy it as much now.’

Sana looked at Dahyun as a lump began to form in .

‘I don’t wish to wait every time we have to go on a date. Day after day we drag. A person who prioritized their work over their relationship isn’t suitable for me.’ Dahyun said softly.

‘You used to tell me you don’t mind the freedom you had and that you were used to it.’

‘I’m not now. I don’t like feeling alone now.’ Dahyun turned around and gripped on to the railing. ‘Just take it that I have changed.’

‘Dahyun.’ Sana said but Dahyun took a step back, dipping her head.

‘Let’s break up.’ The girl said and forced herself to walk away, leaving Sana standing by the river in disbelief.

 

 

‘I will never break up with him.’ Momo said. ‘He might sin when I’m not around, but when he returns to my side, I will still love him.’

‘So it seems I was never the one you really loved.’ Mina said as she rested her head on her fist.

‘I’m sorry.’ Momo said, truly apologetic.

‘I’ve waited so long that those three words sound a little strange now.’ Mina sighed.

‘Do you still blame me?’

‘When you love someone, you really become a fool for them. I was like this in the past.’ Mina said and rested her hands on the table, interlocking her fingers.

‘I said I had photos to show you. It was a lie. I just wanted to have coffee with you.’ Mina lied and the envelope sitting in the inner pocket of her blazer seemed to be on fire, burning her sides. ‘We didn’t manage to catch him in the act. I wish you happiness.’

Momo smiled and a single tear rolled down her cheek.

‘Why are you crying?’ Mina asked as Momo brushed the tear away.

‘It’s nothing. Thank you.’ Momo said and Mina could only smile.

 

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

 

‘Let’s go boys!’ Mina said as she walked back into the firm, accidentally kicking a box.

‘What’s wrong with you? Didn’t you go slap her in the face with the evidence?’ Jihyo asked.

‘The one that got slapped is me. Come, let’s go have a blast!’ Mina said and placed her hand on Jihyo and Jeongyeon’s shoulders. ‘Wait, where’s Sana?’

‘She left with Dahyun earlier.’ Jeongyeon said.

‘No surprise. Let’s go!’ Mina said and turned to walk out of the door when she almost crashed into Sana who was dashing in.

‘Oh hey, aren’t you going to the noraebang?’ Sana asked.

‘Yeah but… Aren’t you supposed to be with Dahyun?’

‘I made plans to go with you guys first, of course I can’t bail at the last minute.’ Sana smiled.

 


 

‘Cheers!’ they shouted in unison and clinked their glasses together before taking a one-shot.

Mina took the microphone from the stand and started to sing a song about heartbreak when Jeongyeon snatched the microphone from her hands.

‘It’s a time for celebration and relaxation man! Don’t kill the mood with a sad song!’ Jeongyeon picked an upbeat song and began to sing alone while Jihyo shook a tambourine.

Mina walked over to Sana who was sitting on the couch and clicked their glasses together before Sana downed the alcohol down at once.

‘Hey, you’ll get drunk easily like this.’ Mina said as she looked at Sana with concerned eyes.

‘Isn’t that the point of drinking?’ Sana said as she poured herself another shot. Mina shrugged and downed her glass before getting another. The four of them spent the night singing and having a blast, laughing at the antics of Jeongyeon and Mina who had started a tipsy dance battle with absolutely ridiculous moves.

They stumbled out of the room and bid goodbye to Jihyo and Jeongyeon who had called for a cab. Mina was trying to control a very drunk Sana who was stumbling around. Mina was great at holding her alcohol since she used to attend many corporate events.

‘Don’t drink so much if you can’t hold your alcohol well next time.’ Mina chided as Sana stumbled around.

‘I want to drink more!’ Sana said and yanked her hand out of Mina’s grasp.

‘You’re already so drunk! Let’s go home!’

‘I don’t want to!’ Sana yelled and Mina stared at her.

‘Where can you go if you don’t go home? Let’s go.’ Mina took Sana’s hand but the girl pulled away.

‘I don’t want to go home…’ Sana said, voice cracking and she crashed into Mina’s arms, resting her head on the girl’s shoulders.

‘Err, I’m not really your girlfriend and I’m not even dating you. Why are you so touchy?’ Mina asked as she tried to pull away from Sana’s grip. The girl began sobbing and Mina had no choice but to her back.

‘Why are you crying? We’re in the middle of the road; people might get the wrong impression.’ Mina said as she rubbed Sana’s back. The girl’s sobs became even louder. ‘Did you fight with Dahyun? Couples always fight. It’s normal! You can always make up after that with a few sweet texts.’

Sana continued to sob and Mina sighed.

‘Just cry all you want, it’s better than keeping it inside anyway.’ Mina said gently as Sana continued to cry. Mina flagged for a cab and they got in. It was past midnight and Mina didn’t want to bother Chaeyoung or Tzuyu since they had school so she decided to make do at a hotel instead.

Setting Sana who was unconscious on the bed and tucking her in, Mina went to wash up before turning in for the night. The bed was big enough to fit them both but Mina decided to sleep on the couch instead. She took a few pillows from the bed and a spare blanket from the closet before making herself comfortable on the couch and promptly fell asleep.

 

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

 

Sana woke to the sound of a hairdryer as Mina dried her hair after her shower. She looked at Mina who had a towel draped around her shoulders and her eyes widened. She looked down and realized that her shirt was off and she was left in her white tee.

‘You’re awake?’ Mina asked when she noticed some movements in the mirror.

‘W-what happened?’ Sana internally cursed herself for stuttering.

‘You were drunk beyond consciousness and you kept crying and didn’t want to go home. I can’t bother Tzuyu or Chaeyoung since they have school today so I brought you here. I swear I didn’t do anything to you. I slept on the couch over there.’ Mina explained and Sana looked at the couch which had pillows all messed up and a blanket hanging off the cushion. ‘You were complaining it was really hot so you took off your shirt and uh… I filmed the evidence in case you didn’t believe me.’ Mina handed Sana her phone.

The girl watched in utter horror as her drunken self clung on to Mina who was trying to pull away. She was trying to give Mina a kiss who at that moment, managed to get out of Sana’s hold and run away. Like Mina said, Sana complained it was hot and removed her outer layer of shirt before laying back down on the bed.

‘I’m so sorry.’ Sana said as she handed the phone back to Mina.

‘It’s fine. You were sad anyway. I’ll let it slide. You can go wash up or take a shower and I’ll send you home to change before going to the firm.’ Mina said as she switched the hairdryer off and ran a hand through her hair, making Sana stare at her before nodding and scuttling off to the bathroom.

 


 

‘Mina.’ Momo said and the girl turned around.

‘Oh, you’re here.’ Mina smiled and nodded.

‘I’m here to hand in my payment in full.’ Momo said.

‘Sana’s not here now; I’ll pass it to her when she gets back.’ Mina said and Momo handed the cheque to her.

‘I also want you to have this.’ Momo said and extended a pearl white envelope towards Mina. The girl took it and Momo gave her a small nod, encouraging her to open it. She lifted the flap and pulled a card out, flipping it open and read it.

‘You’re really inviting me?’ Mina asked and looked at Momo hesitantly. ‘I mean, I’m just worried that you might be swept off your feet by my charm and decide to marry me instead.’

Jihyo and Jeongyeon paused their work to look at Mina with a concerned look. Mina turned back to Momo and the girl had the same look of hesitance.

‘I’m just joking, why are you guys so serious?’ Mina laughed awkwardly and kept the card. ‘I’ll show up, don’t worry.’

‘Come earlier then. I shall not hold you up anymore. See you.’ Momo smiled before leaving.

‘Why was Momo here?’ Sana asked as she walked in a few minutes after the latter had left.

‘She came to hand in the payment.’ Mina said and handed Sana the cheque.

‘What’s that then?’ Sana pointed at the envelope in Mina’s other hand and the girl tried to hide it but Sana was faster, taking it from Mina’s hands.

‘Wedding invitation? She’s getting married? I thought you showed her the photos!’ Sana said and looked at Mina, demanding an explanation.

‘I lost the photos.’ Mina shrugged and walked to her seat but Sana pulled her back by the collar of her shirt.

‘She paid for this! We should at least let her know the truth!’

‘The photos aren’t important. I asked her. She said she would marry Jackson even if she knows he was cheating. Since she has decided, can’t we just let her do what she wants in peace?’ Mina asked and stepped away from Sana, a stern look etched on her face.

‘How will she be happy marrying an unfaithful man?’

‘She doesn’t want the truth. She just wants someone that will support her decision.’ Mina said.

‘Is this your way of supporting her?’ Sana asked.

‘I know her better than you do Sana. I understand her intentions of even getting us to help her in the first place. She will marry him regardless. If you don’t trust me, then so be it.’ Mina said sharply and walked back to her seat.

 

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

 

Momo slid the envelope back to Sana who looked at Momo with a raised eyebrow.

‘You knew about this?’ Sana asked and Momo sighed before nodding.

‘Mina knows that I’m stubborn. She knows that I need a lie so that I can live with a man who I love, yet doesn’t love me back.’

‘But why? Isn’t it stupid?’ Sana asked.

‘If I’m stupid, Mina must be an idiot. She never did change. She’s still the same; supporting me even if I made a wrong decision. Swallowing the pain silently even if I hurt her. Maybe this is my retribution for treating her that way in the past. Now I know how much hurt she must have gone through.’ Momo smiled sadly. ‘I have to go take my wedding photos now. Thank you for the coffee.’ The girl smiled and took her bag before leaving.

Sana felt like she had just been stabbed in the stomach with a knife and it was twisting in her gut. So Momo was the one that gave Mina such a painful memory. So that’s why Mina said she knew Momo better than she did and insisted on keeping the truth from her. They had a past that she didn’t even know of and yet she berated Mina and added salt to her wound.

She had to apologize.

 

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

 

‘So why are we here?’ Mina asked as she crossed her arms and leaned on the wall. They were at a martial arts school and Sana had insisted that they put on the uniform.

‘To take out your frustration.’ Sana said simply and walked to the centre of the room.

‘My frustration?’ Mina asked as she walked over to Sana.

‘Our frustrations.’ Sana said and grabbed Mina’s arm, flipping the girl over her shoulder without warning.

‘Ow… What frustrations do I have?’ Mina yelled as she got up only to get tackled by Sana again.

‘Don’t you feel unjust? That Momo is getting married to a man that doesn’t love you as much as you love her?’ Sana asked and Mina narrowed her eyes.

‘I don’t. She chose this path. How can I ever marry her now? I’m broke and at rock bottom. I can’t provide for her.’ Mina said and Sana flipped her over her shoulder again.

‘Stupid!’ Sana shouted and tackled Mina. They crashed to the ground and Sana gripped Mina’s collar with both hands, shaking the girl before letting go.

‘You can carry on if it relieves your stress.’ Mina said from the floor and she felt a drop of water hit her face. She opened her eyes to see Sana with red rimmed eyes. Mina pushed herself up and walked closer to Sana.

‘Are you okay?’ she asked and Sana wiped her tears with her sleeve before running off to the changing area.

‘That’s fast.’ Mina said and quickly chased after her.

It was raining heavily outside but before Mina could open her umbrella, Sana had already walked out into the rain.’

‘Hey! What are you doing?’ Mina shouted as she tried to open her jammed umbrella. When she finally did get it open and caught up to Sana, the girl was drenched to the core. Mina drove her home and made sure that she was safely tucked into bed before leaving but Mr Minatozaki stopped her.

‘What happened to her?’ he asked.

‘I don’t know if she told you but she broke up with Dahyun.’ Mina said and she could hear Mrs Minatozaki gasp.

‘Broke up? How can that be? Quick, call Jin-an and ask what happened!’ Mrs Minatozaki said.

‘It’s late, he might be asleep, let’s not disturb him now.’ Mr Minatozaki sighed and rubbed his temple.

‘Thank you for bringing her home Mina. I wouldn’t know what to do if she had driven home herself in such a distraught state.

‘It’s only my duty, Mr Minatozaki. I will be taking my leave now.’ Mina bowed and took her leave.

 


 

The photographer took a deep breath as she ran her hands down the front of her blazer for the nth time. She was seated in the chapel and they were waiting for the bride to turn up. Just as she thought about it, the doors opened to reveal Momo who had linked arms with her father. The music began to play and they walked down the aisle, flower petals showering their path.

Mina stood up along with the other guest and clapped as they walked to the altar. Momo smiled and nodded at the guests. She caught sight of Mina and she smiled to which Mina returned with a slight nod.

They took their seats and watched as the couple said their vows before exchanging rings. Mina could only smile as she thought of what could be hers.

 

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

 

Mina rested her legs on her desk as she leaned back in her chair.

‘Well someone looks really handsome today. What’s the big deal?’ Jeongyeon chuckled at Mina who was in brown oxfords and a navy blue suit.

‘It’s Momo’s wedding today.’ Jihyo said and Jeongyeon gasped.

‘I’m sorry man.’ Jeongyeon patted Mina’s shoulders.

‘No big deal. Fate is just so cruel.’ Mina hummed as she closed her eyes but opened them again. ‘Where’s Sana?

‘She’s on medical leave. She must be super sick to have to stay home.’ Jeongyeon shrugged. Mina frowned and stood up from her seat.

 

She arrived at the address and found that the door was unlocked after knocking three times to silence. She let herself in and found the house to be empty. Making a beeline to Sana’s room, she knocked the door and entered to find the girl under her blanket.

‘Sana? Are you alright?’ Mina asked as she approached the bed. The girl didn’t move and Mina lifted the blanket. ‘You’re gonna suffocate in there.’ She touched Sana’s forehead and instantly pulled her hand back.

‘Hey! You’re burning up!’ Mina exclaimed and pulled at Sana’s arm, making the girl groan. ‘We’re going to the hospital.’ Mina said and scooped her up into her arms. She ran out of the house and got to her car when she realized that her keys were locked in her car.

‘Damn it! Just hang on a little; we’ll go get a cab!’ Mina said and set Sana down so she could pick the girl up in a piggyback instead. They took off down the street to the main road and Mina would occasionally turn around to check on Sana and tell her to bear with it for a little more. Mina could feel her oxfords rubbing against the back of her ankles and her left knee felt like it was in flames but she had to get Sana to the hospital or the girl could get some severe brain damage.

Sana’s vision was blurry but she could make out Mina’s face and hear her voice. She rested her head on the back of Mina’s shoulder as the girl approached the main road. The photographer flagged down a cab and got Sana into the vehicle before hopping in herself.

‘To the nearest hospital and step on it.’ Mina instructed the driver. She pulled her handkerchief out of the small pocket on her blazer and dabbed the sweat off Sana’s forehead. Sana looked at Mina who was looking anxiously at the driver to see if he could go any faster.

 

‘How are you feeling? Any better?’ Dahyun asked and Sana shook her head. ‘Get up and have some porridge. You might feel better.’ The girl smiled and helped Sana sit up. Dahyun took the bowl of porridge and scooped a small spoon, blowing at it to cool it down before feeding it to Sana who gave the girl a weak smile.

 

When she got better, they made a sandwich together and Dahyun beamed at Sana who had lifted it towards her with a huge grin. They held each end of the sandwich and bit into the soft bread. Sana smiled as Dahyun grinned at her and they leaned in for a kiss.

 

They were out on a date one day and was about to order when Sana’s phone rang.

‘Sorry about that.’ She said and Dahyun shook her head. She answered it and it was Jeongyeon, telling her that they had a huge lead on a current case that they were working on. Hanging up she looked at Dahyun with an apologetic smile. The girl must have seen it coming because she nodded.

‘Go. I believe it’s important.’ Dahyun nodded and Sana smiled before rushing off.

 

Dahyun was waiting for Sana at their usual café with a bouquet of flowers and a card. She smiled at the card as she leaned back in her seat, waiting for the girl to show up. Hours flew by and still there was no sign of Sana as the girl was busy with her work. When Sana finally arrived at the café, Dahyun was nowhere in sight. Pulling out her phone to give Dahyun a call, her eyes landed on a bouquet of flowers and a card on the table that they usually sat at. Dahyun didn’t pick up.

 

The sign flashed on the screen, signalling that the gates were about to close and Dahyun looked around the airport to no avail. She was flying off to Hong Kong today and yet there was no sign of Sana even though the girl had promised to show up. Sighing, she walked to the departure hall and entered, heading to her gate before she missed her flight.

Sana dashed through the airport as she looked for Dahyun. She checked the signboard only to see that her gate had closed. Catching her breath, she went to the viewing gallery and watched as a Cathay Pacific plane rolled down the runway and lifted into the air.

‘Let’s break up.’

 


 

Mina was waiting by Sana’s bed for the girl to wake up. She was patting the girl’s hand as she hummed a small tune. She felt Sana’s fingers twitched and the girl’s eyelids fluttered open.

‘You’re awake.’ Mina smiled and helped Sana sit up before pouring a glass of water for the girl. ‘The doctor said that if you had arrived any later, your brain would have been fried.’

‘Thank you.’ Sana smiled weakly and Mina pressed her lips together.

‘Don’t mention it. You know… Dahyun doesn’t deserve you.’ Mina said and Sana looked at er.

‘What would you know about love?’ Sana scoffed.

‘Please, I’ve experienced it before and I know how you feel right now.’ Mina said.

‘Right now, I don’t feel like talking to you. Get back to work.’ Sana sighed and hugged her legs.

‘Fine. The medicine is in the drawer if you need…’ Mina trailed off when she saw that Sana was crying.

‘She’s not worth your tears Sana.’ Mina sighed. ‘If you love her that much, I can teach you a few tricks to make her regret breaking up with you and make up with you again.’

‘Really?’ Sana looked at Mina sceptically.

‘Yes.’ Mina nodded at her with a firm glance.