-XI-

Illusions

‘Did you sleep well?’ Dahyun smiled as Sana got into the car.

‘Yea I did.’ Sana smiled and belted up as Dahyun pulled out of the driveway.

‘Does Mina… Like you?’ Dahyun asked and Sana looked at the girl, shocked.

‘Why?’

‘She came to talk to me for a little yesterday morning. She said that she wishes for you to get married to a loving person rather than an unfaithful one and that she would keep an eye on me. Sounds pretty protective to me.’ Dahyun chuckled.

‘She did?’ Sana asked and frowned slightly. Why was Mina doing this?

‘Why?’

‘No, nothing.’ Sana shook her head. They arrived at the firm and Sana bid Dahyun goodbye before walking in.

‘Myoui Mina.’ Sana said and the girl looked up. ‘We need to talk.’ She said and the girl had a feeling she knew what Sana was driving at. They went outside and Sana crossed her arms.

‘Why did you do that?’ Sana asked.

‘I just didn’t want you to get hurt by the wrong person.’ Mina said and Sana sighed, rubbing her forehead.

‘If I get hurt, it’s my business. I know you’re trying to protect me and I appreciate that but this is my relationship. I will learn if I get hurt. I don’t know what you’re trying to do but please.’ Sana looked at Mina and the latter nodded, looking at the ground.

‘I understand. I’ll wash my hands off this matter.’ Mina said and turned to walk back into the firm. Sana didn’t know why she felt guilty for saying such words to Mina. What exactly was Mina to her?

Just then, her phone rang and Sana picked up.

‘Hello?’

‘Hey. I’ve found a private facility that is pretty effective in treating cases like Yerin’s. Would you like to come take a look? There are many enriching activities and professional counsellors to help the patients.’ Dahyun said.

‘It’s okay. I trust you. You have her information right? I’ll message you Eunbi’s contact and you can have her look around instead. She is Yerin’s fiancée after all.’

‘Alright. See you later then.’

‘Bye.’ Sana said with a smile and hung up. She shared Eunbi’s contact with Dahyun before walking back in. She saw that Mina was talking to Jeongyeon but stopped when she caught sight of Sana and turned back to her computer.

 

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

 

‘Any idea who it is?’ Mina asked WonSik.

‘I checked every possible person but it doesn’t seem to add up. Most of the suspects had alibis to prove their innocence.’ WonSik shook his head and gestured at the computer screen. ‘But there is one reliable source.

‘And?’ Mina prompted.

‘It all points at this one person. Ken.’

‘Ken?’

‘He’s the most successful one of all of us back then. Now he has a girlfriend and I heard they’re getting married soon. Unfortunately I don’t have his address or his contact.’

‘Have you forgotten my job? I’ll get something for sure. Whatever it is, thank you for helping me despite your schedule.’ Mina smiled and clapped him on the back.

‘No problem. I’d always help my mentor.’ WonSik smiled and Mina nodded, giving a two finger salute as she left.

 


 

Mina met up with Ken at a café and he smiled at her.

‘Hey Mina. I haven’t seen you in such a long time. How have you been?’ Ken smiled as he took a seat.

‘I’ve could be better but I guess I have to make do for now. How’s your marriage plans going along?’ Mina smiled.

‘Oh? How did you know?’ Ken asked, looking surprised.

‘I met with WonSik earlier and he told me. Congrats man.’ Mina grinned and Ken rubbed his nape.

‘Thanks. So what did you want to meet me for? Not that I don’t want to.’ Ken laughed.

‘WonSik is your best friend right?’ Mina asked and Ken nodded.

‘He is. He’s helped me loads. Why?’

‘Well, your best friend just framed you.’ Mina said and Ken’s eyebrows rose to his hairline.

‘Framed me?’ Ken asked, puzzled.

‘You know about my little knee accident right?’ Mina asked and he nodded. ‘My friend told me recently that it was WonSik who was behind it. When I asked him to help me find out who it was, he acted innocent and pushed the blame on you.’ Mina said and Ken’s eyes widened.

‘What? How…’

‘What a friend right?’ Mina snorted.

‘But why would he do that?’ Ken asked, unable to comprehend the news.

‘I don’t know but I plan to deal with him soon.’ Mina sighed.

‘Are you okay? He was your pupil.’ Ken leaned closer and Mina pressed her lips together.

‘I definitely never expected it but I guess my life will always be filled with unjust.’ Mina leaned back in her seat.

‘I’m sorry on his behalf.’ Ken apologized and Mina waved him off.

‘If you are sorry, you could start by cutting ties with him. Not that I’m telling you how to live your life but a traitor like that is unworthy of being your friend.’

‘Oh I plan to do just that. I can’t believe he did this to you.’ Ken shook his head, disappointment evident on his handsome features.

‘It’s alright. Just focus on your life. He’s not worth it.’ Mina smiled and patted Ken’s hand that was restng on the table.

‘Will you come to my wedding?’

‘I’ll have to check my schedule but sure I’ll try to make it.’ Mina smiled.

‘Great! It’s next month actually. The 20th.’ Ken smiled and took out a small envelope from his jacket pocket.

‘Thanks, I’ll definitely show if I have the time.’ Mina grinned.

 

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

 

Mina stormed into the firm and walked to Jeongyeon’s table. She pulled the baseball bat that was stashed at the corner and slammed it onto a file that was on her table. The force of hit was so great that the loud bang startled Jeongyeon and Jihyo. Jihyo almost fell off her chair.

‘Woah, what the hell are you doing?’ Jeongyeon asked as she tried to take the bat out of Mina’s hands. There was anger in Mina’s eyes and neither of them liked the sight of it. It was the first time they had actually seen Mina so furious.

‘’I’m going to get revenge.’ Mina said and walked back out.

‘Revenge? Hey! You can get in trouble!’ Jihyo ran after Mina but the girl turned around and Jihyo stopped dead in her tracks.

‘Then visit me in jail.’ Mina said and got into her car. She drove to Wonsik’s office and got out. The man was in his office when the lights suddenly switched off. He froze and looked around in fear. Using the flashlight on his phone to illuminate the room, he slowly walked out with plans to flip the circuit breaker switch back on.

When he was halfway down the corridor he sensed a figure darting behind him.

‘Who’s there?’ he shouted. The next thing he knew, he was shoved to the floor from behind and kicked in the back. He placed his hands over the back of his head and curled his legs up to protect himself.

‘Why are you cowering?’ Mina roared and grabbed his collar, pulling him up and slammed him into the wall.

‘W-what? Why are you hitting me? Let’s talk nicely can we?’ WonSik said and Mina wrapped her hands around his throat, squeezing it.

‘Talk? What’s there to talk you traitor?’ Mina yelled in his face and kneed him in the stomach. ‘I taught you everything and yet you choose to do this to me? What have I ever done to offend you?’

‘Do what?’ WonSik asked and Mina tightened her grip.

‘Still denying?’ Mina snapped and he glared at her. ‘My friend told me everything! She found the photos in your drawer!’ the girl jabbed her finger in his chest.

‘Yes! I did it! So what? There can only be one top photographer and it’s you! It’s always you! If I didn’t take you out, when will I ever be first? Every award goes to you and everyone talks about how great you are. What about me? All I get is criticism! No one appreciates my work as much as yours! I just want the chance to shine but I never get it because you’re in my way! Then I found out that my good friend and I share a common hatred towards you. I decided to kill two birds with one stone and had someone take you out.’ WonSik confessed and Mina scowled.

‘What friend?’

‘I’m pretty sure you know him. Jackson Wang.’

‘Momo’s husband?’ Mina gasped.

‘You had everything. You were always above the clouds and we never got a chance.’ He snarled.

‘So you wanted me dead?’ Mina asked, clenching her fists.

‘Not dead but injured. Bad enough that you would fall.’

‘Does Momo know about this?’ Mina demanded to know.

‘Of course not! Why would Jackson tell her? The point is to make him look better than you. A healthy person is always the better choice than a half crippled person.’ He scoffed and Mina decided she had enough. She punching him square in the nose and kicked his leg, sending him to the floor.

Raising the bat above her head, WonSik hugged his leg and curled into a ball. There was silence for a few minutes before he looked up and saw that the bat was resting by Mina’s side in her hand.

‘I have no rights to take your leg.’ Mina yelled and WonSik stared at her. ‘Photography isn’t just for winning awards. It’s an art and you’re supposed to put your feelings into it. If you had been doing it right with passion, people would be able to feel it. But no, you’re doing it not for passion. It’s a chore to you. That’s why you have no skill to be the best photographer. And that’s why you will never be good enough. I’m not your mentor. You aren’t my student. I find it a shame to have such a student.’ Mina said and walked off, leaving the stunned photographer on the floor.

 

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

 

‘Mina! What happened?’ Jihyo exclaimed when Mina walked back into the firm. Sana was back at her desk and she looked at the girl with worry.

‘No blood on your clothes, no blood on the bat either.’ Jeongyeon said as she took the bat from Mina’s hands. The girl sat down in her chair and rested her legs on the table. ‘I don’t hear the cops. So you didn’t kill him?’

‘Kill who?’ Sana asked but Mina didn’t spare her a glance.

‘I’m a nice person and I have plans to remain as a lawful citizen. I don’t murder people to get closure. I just talked to him.’ Mina said as she closed her eyes.

‘Thank the gods.’ Jihyo let out a sigh of relief. Sana was still looking at Mina with concern.

Jeongyeon looked at the bat in her hands and furrowed her eyebrows.

‘I’ll borrow your car for a little. I have an errand to run.’ Jeongyeon said and caught the car keys that Mina tossed at her. She drove down to Dahyun’s office and saw that the girl was getting into her car. She crept up on Dahyun and just as she was about to get into her car, Jeongyeon tossed a sack over her head and pulled the girl away to a corner.

 


 

‘What got you so happy?’ Mina asked as she sipped her tea. She was at an outdoor café with Jeongyeon for tea break and the girl just smiled even wider.

‘Nothing.’ Jeongyeon grinned.

‘It has to be something. Got a girlfriend?’ Mina chuckled and Jeongyeon shook her head.

‘I got revenge for you.’

‘Say what?’

‘I taught the person you hated the most a lesson.’ Jeongyeon shrugged.

‘You beat him up?’ Mina exclaimed and Jeongyeon laughed.

‘It was just a few hits!’

 

Jeongyeon pushed Dahyun to a corner and have her two jabs with the bat and a punch to what she assumed was the girl’s face as she struggled under the sack. Dahyun was about to retaliate but Jeongyeon placed the end of the handle by the girl’s sides.

‘Don’t move or I’ll shoot!’ Jeongyeon said in the gruffest voice she could muster and it worked like a charm. She gave Dahyun one last jab to the sides before running off.

 

‘But this doesn’t even concern you in any way! Why would you do that?’ Mina buried her face in her hands.

‘But she’s a cheater! How can Sana trust her so much? She has boss wrapped around her fingers and even has her believing everything she says! She even scolded you for watching out for her!’ Jeongyeon huffed.

‘Wait what?’ Mina asked. She felt like her eyes were about to pop out of her sockets.

‘What what? You’re my best friend and Sana is my favourite boss! I have to protect the both of you! She should be happy I didn’t kill her!’ Jeongyeon exclaimed and Mina banged her head onto the table.

‘Who exactly did you beat up?’ Mina exclaimed and turned to face Jeongyeon who looked confused.

‘Dahyun of course! Isn’t she your most hated love rival?’ Jeongyeon asked, absolutely puzzled and Mina let out the loudest sigh.

‘The person I hate the most is WonSik! My photography student!’ Mina yelled and Jeongyeon blanched.

‘Huh? I thought it was Dahyun you were talking about…’

‘Why would I ever beat her up? I just want to warn her not to cheat on Sana! I don’t want her dead!’ Mina gripped a clump of her hair in each hand and Jeongyeon made a guilty face.

‘What should I do? Will he make a police report?’ Jeongyeon gasped and Mina groaned.

‘Now you worry?’

‘Don’t tell my mom.’ Jeongyeon said and Mina let out a louder groan.

‘Then why did you do it?’ Mina almost yelled.

‘I just wanted to help you get back at her for causing Sana to mistreat you.’ Jeongyeon mumbled.

‘If anything happens, I’ll take the blame for you. Okay? But oh my god, can you not be so rash in the future? I know you want to be a hero but please man; there are plenty of other chances out there. Just wait for one to find you.’ Mina said and shook Jeongyeon’s shoulders. The girl gave a sheepish grin and Mina rubbed her eyes so hard that she could see phosphenes. She looked back at Jeongyeon and banged her head on the table again.

 


 

The doorbell rang and Mr Minatozaki hurried to open the door.

‘Dahyun? What happened to you?’ He asked, looking at the girl’s mouth that was bruised at the corner.

‘It’s nothing.’ Dahyun said as she entered.

‘What happened? Did you make a police report?’ Mrs Minatozaki gasped when she saw Dahyun’s face.

‘It’s alright. I think the person got the wrong target.’ Dahyun smiled but winced.

‘Dahyun? Who did this?’ Sana asked with wide eyes as she reached out to touch the girl’s face. Dahyun held her hands and smiled.

‘I don’t know but they probably got the wrong person.’

‘Why didn’t you fight back? You’re a Taekwondo expert!’

‘Not an expert against a gun and a sack. The dude said he had a gun so I stopped fighting.’ Dahyun shrugged.

‘What did he attack you with?’ Sana asked and Dahyun thought for a little.

‘A bat.’

Sana remembered Mina returning to the firm with a bat in hand.

‘Sana?’ Dahyun asked when she saw that the girl had spaced out.

‘Oh, nothing. Hey, I’m just gonna run an errand real quick.’ Sana said and grabbed her phone and car keys before leaving the house.

 

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

 

‘It’s late. Why do you want to meet?’ Mina asked as she approached Sana who was waiting for her at the park.

‘Dahyun is injured.’ Sana said and Mina remained indifferent.

‘Shouldn’t you be with her now then?’ Mina said and Sana took a step closer to look at her in the eye.

‘Did you do it?’ Sana asked and Mina scoffed.

‘What makes you think I would beat up your girlfriend? I already said that I wouldn’t get involved in your matters anymore. Why are you being so contradicting?’ Mina looked back at Sana who seemed to ponder over the girl’s words. Why was she being like this? She felt bad if she confronts Mina but why does she do it anyway?

‘But you have been spinning tales about Dahyun. A sign that you dislike her. Just tell me if you did it. I will believe you for once.’ Sana said and Mina looked at her. The girl remembered how she told Jeongyeon she would take the blame for her and she knew that f she said no, Sana would either say she’s lying or she would make a police report, blowing the matter up.

‘Yes. I did.’ Mina said with a straight face.

‘I’m giving you an order to stop causing trouble for Dahyun. One more time I hear about you interfering, I’m going to fire you.’ Sana said and Mina was shocked. She nodded and let out a deep breath. ‘Please, just let us get married in peace.’

Mina froze.

‘You’ve accepted her proposal?’ Mina asked softly and for some reason, it invoked a feeling of sadness in Sana.

‘Yes. Your three tricks worked and your job is done.’ Sana said.

‘Congratulations. I wish you a blissful marriage.’ Mina forced a smile as she felt her heart smash into pieces. Just when she thought her walls could be lowered without a problem. Just when she thought Sana could save her.

‘I’ll be going back now. Good night.’ Sana said and gave Mina one last glance before walking off, leaving Mina standing alone in the park, engulfed by darkness.

Perhaps she thought wrong.

 


 

‘Sana is getting married and now you’re definitely out of the picture.’ Jihyo sighed as she downed her shot.

‘It’s my fault. I messed up everything for you. I’m so sorry.’ Jeongyeon looked at Mina apologetically.

‘It’s fine. What’s done is done. You can’t change anything now.’ Mina tilted her head with a tight smile before taking a one shot.

‘I’ll repay you tenfold when I can.’ Jeongyeon said and Mina laughed.

‘What are you going to do now?’ Nayeon asked.

‘What can I do? Sit by and watch.’ Mina shrugged.

‘Didn’t the flowers work?’ Nayeon raised an eyebrow.

‘You got Sana flowers?’ Jihyo’s eyes widened.

‘On her birthday. She got Sana a bouquet of pink roses.’ Nayeon said.

‘Why didn’t Sana seem any different to you?’ Jeongyeon asked.

‘Because it never reached her. She was celebrating with Dahyun. Who am I to interfere with their date?’ Mina chuckled to herself. ‘I’m a perfect fit for a spectator. Not a main character.’

‘What? The flowers could have changed everything!’ Jeongyeon slapped the table.

‘Flowers can’t sway someone easily my child.’ Mina shook her head.

‘You’re really a nice person you know that?’ Nayeon said and Mina scoffed.

‘Not nice enough to someone it seems.’

‘Nice enough to me. How about you date me instead?’ Jeongyeon asked and everyone laughed.

‘Dream on, little girl!’ Mina guffawed and raised her glass for a toast.

 

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

 

Dahyun got out of her car and took off her shades. She walked into the office building and greeted the staff with a smile. Another lady was dressed formally; crisp white shirt tucked neatly into a pair of slim fit black pants with a matching blazer and oxfords.

She followed Dahyun into the office and watched from a distance as the former went about her day. In the evening, she finally left to meet another client and for dinner, she met up with Sana.

The same lady slipped onto a bar stool as she watched the couple interact through the reflection of a television screen.

‘Have I really wronged you?’ Mina muttered to herself. ‘No. I don’t believe I can’t catch you.’

The next day was almost the same as the day before with boring office activities. The only difference was what happened in the evening.

Mina followed Dahyun as the girl drove to a cemetery. Hiding behind the thick bark of a tree, Mina watched as Dahyun set a bouquet of flowers down in front of a grave stone. The girl dipped her head to pay respects before leaving shortly after. Making sure the coast was clear, Mina walked up to the grave stone. It was a beautiful lady that seemed pretty young.

‘Sorry but I need to take a picture to expose the deeds of someone yea?’ Mina said as she snapped a pic of the grave stone and bowed before leaving.

 

‘She has been dead for quite some time. A tragic hit and run case with no other suspicious signs surrounding it.’ Jihyo said as she handed Mina a folder with the victim’s information and particulars. ‘She’s not related to Dahyun by blood or by any relations.’

‘Then why would Dahyun visit her?’ Mina said as she looked at the information.

‘A friend?’ Jihyo suggested with a shrug.

‘Or a past lover. Either way, this would be a good opportunity to scare the crap out of her.’ Mina grinned and Jihyo smiled.

 


 

Mina looked through her binoculars from a distance as Dahyun picked up the envelope that Mina had placed at her door step. She watched as the girl opened the flap and pull the pictures out only to drop everything in utter horror and shock.

Mina snickered at the sight but her smile slipped off her face when she noticed Dahyun making a call on her phone. The photographer quickly snapped the lens onto her camera and took photos of Dahyun looking serious and panicked as she spoke on the phone.

‘Something is definitely amiss.’ Mina said as Dahyun retreated back into her home.

 

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

 

‘I think we can leave the planning up to them. It’s their wedding after all.’ Jin-an said as their parents watched Sana flip through a brochure. Dahyun seemed to be spacing out.

‘Dahyun? Are you okay?’ Jin-an asked and his daughter smiled with a nod.

‘Just tired.’ She replied.

‘How many people should we invite?’ Mrs Minatozaki asked and Jin-an laughed.

‘As many as you want of course! Just give me a list of what you want to do and we will try to fulfil them.’ He smiled with a laugh.

‘Maybe we should continue tomorrow.’ Sana said and Dahyun nodded.

‘What’s wrong?’ Jin-an asked.

‘She’s probably exhausted from work today.’ Sana rubbed Dahyun’s back.

‘What a thoughtful daughter-in-law eh?’ Jin-an chuckled. ‘We shall head home for some rest then.’

‘Drive safe.’ Mr Minatozaki grinned at his old friend.

Mina followed their car as they drove back home but a few minutes after they got back, Dahyun was out again. Heading towards an alley, Mina followed cautiously. Just as she was about to take photos of Dahyun meeting up with another lady, someone placed a cloth laced with chloroform over Mina’s nose and mouth.

The girl struggled but her attacker was stronger. It didn’t take long before her eyes closed and she slipped into unconsciousness.