-VIII-

Illusions

‘If there’s one thing I always live by, that would be the saying “dress to impress”. First impressions are important but so is the way you present yourself. No matter how good you look, if you wear a crappy outfit, there is no way you can stand out.’

Mina picked out a couple of dresses and outfits based off her experience with models for Sana to try. Sana actually had a really nice figure for these dresses.

‘This looks fantastic.’ Mina stood up and nodded proudly when Sana appeared in a white off shoulder dress that stopped just at her mid-thigh area. The photographer then escorted Mina to a comfortable leather chair where she had her hair dyed ombré purple and slightly curled. A makeup artist had also given her a few touch ups before she put on her heels and stood up.

‘Beautiful.’ Mina smiled when Sana turned to face her.

‘Other than dolling up, there are three things a lady needs to do to impress their partner. One; be ladylike. Be graceful, feminine, gentle and of course, exude elegance and class.’

‘Give me a nice pose.’ Mina said and Sana’s eyes darted around before she placed her hands behind her back and crossed one leg in front of the other.

‘And a nice bow to go with it.’ Mina smiled. Sana held the sides of her skirt and tugged it out gently as she dipped the upper half of her body.

‘Perfection.’

‘Two; lose the independence. It’s great to be independent but sometimes, it’s good to let your partner feel like they can take care of you as well as you can take care of them. Don’t crush their ego.’

‘Give me the bags.’ Mina said and held out her hand.

‘Why? They’re pretty light.’ Sana said and lifted them.

‘They’re light and I’m pretty sure I’m not weak so give it to me and I’ll hold them for you. Imagine if I was your boyfriend or girlfriend. How would it look for me if I were to make you carry everything?’ Mina asked and Sana seemed to understand. She handed the bags to Mina.

‘Good, hold my arm.’ Mina said and Sana gripped on to her upper arm.

‘I don’t mean in an iron grip. A nice and gentle hold.’ Mina moved one of Sana’s hands down to her forearm and patted the other hand till it loosened its grip to a comfortable placement. ‘See? Much better.’

Sana smiled and they walked through the mall to their next shop.

‘Three; be attractive. Let your partner feel your love through your gaze. Don’t look at them like they offended you, relax your eyes and tilt your head down. Let your emotions flow freely.’

Mina tilted Sana’s head down by the chin through the mirror’s reflection and sighed. She pulled the corner of her eyes down to make a silly face and Sana laughed.

‘That’s exactly it. Hold this smile.’ Mina said as Sana calmed herself down. ‘Close your eyes and open them.’

Sana closed her eyes and opened them like Mina said but the girl smacked her forehead.

‘Don’t glare at me. Relax your eyes like you’re going to sleep. Dahyun isn’t a work client or a target. Come on man.’ Mina rolled her eyes and Sana tried it again, this time, much better than before.

‘Excellent. Now let’s try walking.’

‘What? I can walk just fine.’ Sana said and started walking but was pulled back after a few steps.

‘You’re not going to fight anyone, why are you walking so manly?’ Mina groaned and wagged her finger at Sana. ‘Place one foot in front of the other as you walk and gently sway your hips.’

Sana tried it as Mina walked beside her. The girl looked at the latter with questioning eyes and Mina nodded in approval. Sana was going to turn around and walk back but lost her balance if it wasn’t for Mina who caught her.

‘When you have mastered all three, it’s time to put them all to use and add a bonus: time. Get the right time to get into the right mood and feel. Create a moment and play it from there.’

‘Can you dance?’ Mina asked.

‘Breakdancing?’ Sana asked and raised an eyebrow, making Mina’s eyes bulge.

‘You are NOT pulling some helicopter in this off shoulder dress.’ Mina shook her head in menace and Sana laughed.

‘I’m just kidding. I can’t even freestyle or do anything related to dance.’

‘Then you better thank me. I learnt ballet so I consider myself graceful and elegant enough for some ballroom dancing.’ Mina said and switched the stereos on. Slow music began to play and it filled the room, creating an indescribable mood when coupled with the dim ambient lighting.

‘Place a hand on my shoulder and hold my other hand.’ Mina instructed as she stood closer to Sana. The girl did as she was told and Mina placed her hand on Sana’s waist. ‘Follow me.’ Mina smiled and Sana grinned.

Mina took the first steps and Sana mirrored her movements as the girl led her around the room. They glided smoothly across the polished rosewood floorboards as they looked at each other in the eye with a slight smile spread across their lips. The ambient lighting shone against Sana’s hair, making the girl look like a true angel.

Sana smiled and rested her head on Mina’s shoulders as they continued dancing and the girl smiled.

 

‘Good night.’ Mina said as she sent Sana home.

‘Good night. Drive home safely.’ Sana smiled and Mina nodded before driving off.

 


 

‘It’s all up to you now. I have taught you everything you need to know.’ Mina said as she drove Sana to her date. She pulled up at the drop off point and got out to open the door for Sana.

‘My job here is done.’ Mina smiled and Sana looked at Mina to see her own reflection on the girl’s aviators. Sana nodded and pressed her lips into a tight smile before walking away from Mina. The girl took off her shades and looked at Sana’s retreating back view.

‘Sana.’ Mina heard herself call out and she felt her legs move, pulling her towards Sana who had stopped and turned around. Mina took Sana’s hand into her own and Sana looked at her, clearly surprised. For a second, Mina felt like she had forgotten how to speak.

‘Good luck. Don’t disgrace me.’ Mina finally said and Sana nodded and walked off as Mina released the girl. She sighed.

Getting back into her car, she took a deep breath to clear her thoughts before driving off. Memories of how she helped Sana yesterday and how they danced couldn’t stop replaying in her head. It was like a broken record.

She lost her internal battle and made a U turn just before she could proceed on to the highway and drove back to the restaurant. Mina stopped at a distance from the window and she could see Sana who was still sitting alone at the table by the window.

‘What kind of person keeps their date waiting for so long?’ Mina mumbled under her breath as she watched Sana take a sip of water. The hours ticked by and the sun had set but Sana was still sitting there and Mina was still watching over her from her car. The girl frowned as she saw Sana check her phone for what must be the hundredth time that day and her face fell. She sighed before grabbing her purse and walking out with Mina gaze following her.

Sana arrived home and was going to enter but realized that she didn’t have her house keys with her. She raised a closed fist to knock but stopped just in front of the wooden door. She didn’t want to disappoint her parents and she didn’t want to face their endless questioning either. She was about to turn and walk away when a bright light shone on her. Sana shielded her eyes and peeped out when it disappeared.

It was Mina’s car. Sana could recognize the black Subaru impreza anywhere with its signature penguin hanging from the rear view mirror. Mina got out of the car as Sana walked over.

‘What are you doing here? It’s late.’ Sana asked and Mina closed the door.

‘I was going to ask you how your date went.’ Mina said even though she knew Dahyun never showed up.

‘It was great. The three tricks you thought me really worked.’ Sana smiled but Mina knew the girl was lying even if she didn’t follow Sana herself. Her smile didn’t reach her eyes.

‘Come, I’ll treat you to a celebratory meal.’ Mina said and gestured to the car.

‘Now? It’s kinda late isn’t it?’ Sana asked, raising an eyebrow.

‘What’s wrong with supper? I feel really hungry all of a sudden, don’t you?’ Mina asked and Sana sighed before nodding.

‘Let’s go.’ Sana smiled and patted Mina’s shoulder. They hopped in and Mina made a U turn. Just as she merged into the oncoming traffic, Sana’s phone rang and she quickly dug through her purse.

‘Waiting for Dahyun’s call?’ Mina tried to joke as Sana answered the phone.

‘Hello? Eunbi? Why are you crying? Hey, slow down, I can’t understand you. What? Hospital? I’ll be right there!’ Sana hung up and was about to tell Mina their change in plans but the girl was faster. She had already filtered off the lane towards the highway and was making her way towards the hospital.

They burst through the doors of the hospital and Sana ran towards the reception counter as Mina followed close behind.

‘Which ward is Jung Yerin in?’ Sana asked despite her breathlessness.

‘Ward 33.’ The nurse said after checking her computer.

‘Thank you.’ Mina smiled and the pair ran off towards the ward. Sana entered to see Eunbi holding Yerin’s hand while resting her head on the bed as the girl laid there, seemingly asleep. Her head was bandaged and so was her other arm.

‘What happened?’ Sana asked and Eunbi turned around only to display a broken arm herself, much to Sana’s horror.

‘There was a car accident. Another car hit us at an intersection on the driver’s side which is why she’s like this.’ Eunbi looked back at Yerin. ‘I’m sorry.’

‘Why are you sorry? It’s not your fault. What did the police say?’ Sana asked.

‘They’re still investigating but they have taken my statement. They’ll be back for Yerin’s when she’s better and awake.’

Mina looked at Sana who seemed like she was about to collapse any moment.

‘It’s okay. She’ll be fine. Everything is going to be fine.’ Mina placed a hand on Sana’s shoulder and the girl looked at Mina with glossy eyes.

 

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

 

‘Yerin, you’re awake.’ Sana beamed and quickly walked over to the girl who looked slightly dazed and confused. ‘I’m so glad you’re okay.’ Sana gave her a hug as Mina watched from the front of the bed.

‘Who are you?’ Yerin asked and Mina almost choked on her own spit. Sana felt her blood run cold as she looked at Yerin, searching through her eyes to see if the girl was playing a practical joke on her but no; it seemed to be a genuine question.

A doctor was quickly called for and the final diagnosis was selective amnesia. Yerin could remember Eunbi but not Sana since they were together for a longer period of time.

‘No, this can’t be.’ Sana took a step back and Mina placed her arms around the girl, wrapping her into a hug as tears rolled down her cheeks.

‘Just relax. Let nature take its course. With time, she’ll get her memories back. We just have to wait.’ Mina said as she Sana’s back to comfort the girl.

 

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

 

Dozens of articles were spread across Mina’s desk as the girl looked through newspaper cuttings and photos of the incident. Mina didn’t seem to notice Jeongyeon’s presence and she reached out to take an article from the desk, startling Mina.

‘The fire from two years ago? Isn’t this S-’ ‘Shh! Not so loud!’ Mina hissed and Jeongyeon looked at her with wide eyes.

‘What? Boss isn’t even around why are you being so jumpy?’ Jeongyeon placed the article back on the table and crossed her arms as she leaned against the wall. ‘You’re trying to bust an unsolved case that has probably gone cold in the police archives?’

‘Maybe I can catch a break.’

‘Why are you digging into her past anyway?’ Jeongyeon said and gasped. ‘You’re in love with her!’

‘What? You’re crazy! I’m just trying to bring her some closure!’ Mina turned around and kicked the girl in the shin, causing her to hop backwards and land back in her seat.

‘I’m telling you, it’s a sign of love~ why else would you bother helping her so much?’ Jeongyeon asked as she rubbed the spot where Mina kicked.

‘Ever heard of friends lending a helping hand?’ Mina snorted and Jeongyeon rolled her eye.

‘Yeah right. Go ahead and deny it all you want. The truth will always prevail!’ Jeongyeon yelled and fist pumped, making Mina smack her on the head with the papers in her hand.

‘Shut up will you?’ Mina hissed and Jeongyeon shrugged.

‘My purpose in life is to tease the crap out of people.’ The girl grinned and Mina ignored her, turning back to her work.

Was she in love? That can’t be. She steeled her heart so that no one else can hurt her anymore. The walls couldn’t have crumbled down so easily… Could they?

 


 

‘You can leave if you want. I won’t tell my parents.’ Sana said as she walked beside Dahyun.

‘You think we’re really out here just to please our parents?’ Dahyun looked at Sana who was kicking at the pebbles on the ground.

‘What else can it be?’ Sana walked over to a bench and sat down. Dahyun sat down beside her and took a deep breath.

‘You stood me up at the airport and I had to leave for Hong Kong. Alone and filled with regrets.’ Dahyun said and Sana turned to look at her.

‘I did go to the airport then, but you had already left. I thought you were angry that I didn’t send you off so you seldom contacted me.’

‘What? No. I thought you were angry that I left without waiting. When I finally came back and saw you hugging Mina, I thought you had moved on and that you didn’t need me anymore. I felt bitter and hence initiated the breakup but by doing so, I felt more pain and I regret it. I wish to salvage this. Salvage us.’ Dahyun turned her body to face Sana and took the girl’s hand. ‘Will you forgive me?’

Sana was stunned. She never thought that Dahyun would ever say this and that this day would ever come.

‘I- Of course!’ Sana smiled and placed her hand over Dahyun’s. ‘But.. Why didn’t you show up that day?’

‘I was scared. I didn’t dare show up because I was afraid that my resolve would break when I saw you. But let’s put that behind us. I will promise to help you take care of Yerin and get to the bottom of this mystery.’ Dahyun laced her fingers with Sana’s and the girl smiled.

 

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

 

‘Your girlfriend isn’t in today. She’s delivering lunch to Dahyun.’ Jeongyeon said the moment Mina walked in and the girl threw her keys at the joker.

‘What girlfriend? Don’t splutter nonsense.’ Mina rolled her eyes.

‘Don’t you two have to go stalking today?’ Jihyo asked and shook her head as the pair rushed to gather their equipment.

‘Slip of the mind. See you later hyo-hyo.’ Jeongyeon snickered and the girl smacked Jeongyeon in the back as she ran by.

‘What kinda nickname is that?’ Mina asked as they got into the car.

‘It’s what Nayeon calls Jihyo.’

‘I see.’ Mina nodded as Jeongyeon started the engine and drove off. They arrived at the park and saw their target sitting on the bench with his girlfriend. Jeongyeon looked through her binoculars and saw them kissing.

‘Picture!’ Jeongyeon yelled and Mina flinched, hurriedly attaching her lens to the camera and removing the cover.

‘I missed it.’ Mina said sheepishly.

‘What’s wrong with you today? Moving at tortoise speed. Thinking about Sana? Oh right! It’s almost her birthday! Thinking of what to give eh?’ Jeongyeon asked and Mina sighed.

‘It’s not like Dahyun can’t get her own lunch. She’s an independent businesswoman! Surely she can do that on her own. Why would I need to think of what to give? I’ll just get some cheap gift set. I’m broke, remember?’ Mina grumbled.

‘And yet you say you don’t like Sana.’

‘I don’t!’

‘If you don’t then this won’t be bothering you!’ Jeongyeon grinned and Mina focused on watching the couple. ‘But seriously, have you guys ever…’ Jeongyeon wiggled her fingers and Mina slapped her hand away.

‘I’m gonna stop you right there. No, we didn’t and we never will.’ Mina scowled and looked back at the couple who had turned to look at them.

‘Holy !’ Jeongyeon said and leaned against Mina, hugging her.

‘What are you doing?’ Mina asked as she tried to push Jeongyeon away.

‘They’re looking at us! Just hug me to make it real!’ Jeongyeon hissed and Mina sighed before placing a hand on the girl’s shoulder. She looked over at the couple but found the bench to be empty.

‘They’re gone. You can let go now.’ Mina rolled her eyes as Jeongyeon cleared and moved away.

‘This is all on you Myoui.’

‘Me?’

‘Of course! I have already sacrificed myself too much for this.’ Jeongyeon huffed and Mina’s eyes widened.

‘You- I-‘

‘Oh just shut up!’ Jeongyeon breathed and Mina banged her head against the window.

 

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

 

Mina was looking around the florist, sniffing the different flowers as she tried to decide which she should get.

‘Hi, how can I help?’ The florist asked and Mina jumped in shock.

‘Nayeon?’ Mina smiled.

‘Mina? Surprise to see you here. Aren’t you supposed to be at work?’

‘Ah well… Boss isn’t in so here I am. Besides, it’s a present for her.’ Mina shrugged.

‘Oh I see, slacking off on the job eh? And you want to woo her too.’ Nayeon grinned and Mina waved her hands.

‘Not wooing, it’s just a present! Why are you and Jeongyeon like this?’ Mina groaned in frustration and Nayeon laughed.

‘Alright alright, so what kinda flowers do you wanna get her?’ Nayeon waved her hands at all the different flowers.

‘Any recommendations? I’m not the best with flowers and their meanings.’ Mina scratched her head.

‘Well… Sana is a nice and sweet person. Serious in work and carefree when with friends… I’ll say some pink roses.’ Nayeon said after some thought.

‘I’ll get that then.’ Mina smiled and Nayeon nodded.

‘I’ll go wrap them up.’

‘Thanks.’ Mina grinned.

 


 

Dahyun and Sana were sitting at a restaurant with a view of the stunning skyline of Seoul city. Dahyun looked at Sana with a smile on her face without saying anything.

‘What? Do I look weird like this?’ Sana asked and Dahyun shook her head.

‘You look as stunning as ever. I just never thought that after all these years; I would still be able to celebrate your birthday with you.’ Dahyun smiled. She turned around and nodded at a waiter who brought a bouquet of red roses. Dahyun took it and got up from her seat, walking over to Sana.

‘Happy birthday.’ Dahyun smiled as she presented the flowers to Sana.

‘Thank you.’ Sana took it with a wide smile on her face as she leaned in to smell the flowers.

 

 

Mina took a whiff of the pink roses that she bought as she lay on her bed. She sighed and placed it down on her nightstand beside a nicely wrapped present. She got up and took the can of beer from the table before sitting back down, cracking the tab open.

 

 

The waiter poured the wine into Sana’s cup and bowed before leaving. Sana was about to take a sip from her cup when she remembered Mina’s word about being elegant. Sana paused and let her fingers slide down from the bowl to the stem of the glass before raising it slightly towards Dahyun who did the same and took a sip.

As she cut up her steak, she remembered how Mina had told her to be gentle and alluring. She took a small bite and looked at Dahyun who was smiling at her. She relaxed her gaze just as Mina had told her to and smiled back.

 

 

Mina crushed the can in her hands and placed it down beside the flowers, letting out a sigh. It wasn’t her only can. Along with it were three other cans that were all crushed.

She lay down on her pillow and closed her eyes as images of Sana began to take over her mind.

 

 

Dahyun extended an open hand towards Sana who gently placed her hand into Dahyun’s. Placing her hand on Dahyun’s shoulder, they began to dance to the soft music that was playing in the private room that they had booked. Sana looked into Dahyun’s eyes that were filled with love and adoration.

‘Remember to create a moment.’ Mina’s voice echoed in her head. Sana smiled and rested her head on Dahyun’s shoulder just as she had done to Mina.

 

 

Mina’s head was full of Sana, how they danced in the ballroom, how Sana was standing so close to her, how great Sana smelt, how Sana just felt so… Right.

Sana made her feel like she didn’t need to be afraid of falling in love anymore. It was like she would never get hurt ever again.

Perhaps Sana really did the impossible. Sana broke through Mina’s walls and now the girl can’t seem to get enough.

 

 

‘When the moment is right, you will find yourself unable to forget about it no matter how much you try. It will come to mind at the most random times and make you smile uncontrollably.’

Sana pulled away from Dahyun and looked at the girl only to see Mina. She looked at their interlocked hands and Mina’s hand that was on her waist.

‘Missed me?’ Mina asked with that signature grin of hers. Sana couldn’t find her voice. She blinked and saw Dahyun’s face.

‘Are you okay?’ Dahyun asked, seeing how Sana had spaced out.

‘Y-yeah. I am.’ Sana smiled lightly. She couldn’t understand why she felt her heart drop a little when she realized that it was only her imagination.

Why did she want to dance with Mina? Dahyun was here. Dahyun loved her back and they were together again.

Dahyun pulled Sana into her arms and they stopped dancing, instead, they stood there in each other’s embrace, gently swaying from side to side.

 

 

Mina opened her eyes and looked at the flowers. Inhaling deeply, she stared at the bouquet for a few minutes before pushing it off the table and into the trashcan beside it along with all the crushed beer cans.

Locking her hands behind her head, she closed her eyes once again and tried to push all her thoughts away but each time she did, they came back.

They always came back.