-X-

Illusions

‘Beautiful. Excellent. Give me another pose.’ WonSik said as he looked through the view finder. From the corner of his vision, he could make out a figure standing by the door of the studio. He turned his head and caught sight of Mina who gave him a smile.

‘Let’s take ten!’ He said and the models walked off to get their makeup and hair touched up.

‘Hey man, how’s it going?’ WonSik asked Mina who nodded.

‘Same old same old. I have some things I’d like to talk to you about.’ Mina said and they walked over to a quieter room. She handed the photos to WonSik who looked through them.

‘Who took these?’ he asked, flipping through the images.

‘The person who framed me and wanted me down.’ Mina said.

‘It seems like you’re one step closer to finding out who.’ WonSik grinned and Mina looked at him. ‘You can finally have a fresh start on your career. If you need any help, feel free to ask me.’

‘A true friend indeed.’ Mina clapped him on the back.

‘Of course! Without you, I wouldn’t be here today. I owe this all to you.’ He grinned.

‘That you do.’ Mina nodded as he continued to smile, unaware of the double meaning to her words.

 

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

 

‘Sana, I have some good news.’ Dahyun said as Mr Minatozaki let her into their house.

‘What is it?’

‘I got a hold of some of the witnesses of the accident. Shall we meet them now?’ Dahyun asked and Sana’s eyes widened.

‘Definitely!’ Sana hurriedly ran to her room to get dressed and left with Dahyun. They went out and saw that Dahyun’s father was the one driving. They arrived at a café near the crash site and sat down.

‘Can you tell me what you saw?’ Sana asked.

‘The driver was a young man. He had a helmet on, as if he was a stunt driver. He was clearly prepared for it. But I remember his car. I’ve seen it before since I work somewhere in the area. He had met up with the other girl that got out of the car. She seemed to have given him something before the accident happened.’ The man explained.

‘So you’re saying he was paid by my friend to do it?’ Sana asked.

‘It seems so to me. They were acting a little suspicious.’ The man said.

‘Is that all?’ Dahyun asked and the man nodded.

‘He drove off quickly that day. Have you heard? They found the car but it was wiped clean of evidence. They can’t trace it to the owner.’

Sana blanched and leaned back in her chair.

‘Thank you. You’ve helped us a lot.’ Jin-an smiled and the man nodded.

‘If you don’t mind, I have to get back to work now.’ He bowed. ‘Take care.’

‘Are you alright?’ Dahyun asked Sana who nodded weakly. ‘It’s okay. Take your time. It’s a lot to take in.’

‘How can Eunbi do that? How can Eunbi do so much wrong?’ Sana mutters under her breath.

‘I don’t know but we’ll find out soon.’ Dahyun says as she pulls Sana’s into her arms. She looks at her father who looks back at her with sad eyes.

 


 

‘Hey Jihyo, do you hear that?’ Jeongyeon asked as she tossed a crisp into the air and caught it in .

‘I think I do.’ Jihyo looked at Jeongyeon and laughed.

‘What is it?’ Mina asked and Jeongyeon snickered.

‘Wedding bells.’ Jeongyeon laughed and dodged a smack from Mina.

‘So what? It’s not my problem.’ Mina said nonchalantly.

‘You sure? You look a little down when Dahyun came by that day.’ Jihyo said.

‘She gave her a diamond ring and flowers. What about you? Flowers? Her birthday present?’ Jeongyeon asked and Mina shook her head.

‘Then you are destined to only watch from the side then. Friend zoned~’

‘Don’t you guys have work to do?’ Mina scowled.

‘Why are you suddenly so hardworking? Boss isn’t around anyway.’ Jihyo grinned.

‘Why are you guys suddenly slacking then?’ Mina countered and Jeongyeon threw a crisp at her. ‘Where did she go anyway?’

‘She’s with Dahyun of course. Who else can it be?’ Jeongyeon chomped loudly and obnoxiously on a crisp. ‘You?’

‘ off man.’ Mina snorted and pushed Jeongyeon’s hand. The girl was pouring the crumbs of her crisp into and the sudden push caused her to spill the crumbs all over herself.

‘Gah! Damn you!’ Jeongyeon grumbled as she dusted the crumbs off her clothes.

‘Sweep it up! Don’t attract rodents.’ Jihyo said and Jeongyeon scowled.

 

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

 

‘How was it?’ Mina asked Sana who seemed to be zoning out. ‘Sana?’

‘Yes? Sorry. I was thinking about some things.’ Sana said and sighed.

‘Want to tell me about it?’ Mina offered. The girl took a deep breath as she gathered her thoughts.

‘Dahyun took me to meet a witness. He claims he’s seen the man before and that it was Eunbi who paid him to cause the accident. He was even wearing a helmet which is highly unusual and the car was found abandoned but untraceable to the culprit.’

‘Eunbi? Like Yerin’s Eunbi? Her own fiancé? Why would she do that?’ Mina asked in shock.

‘I don’t know. I can’t accept it. But I guess… Maybe some people aren’t as simple as they look.’ Sana wrapped her hands around her cup.

‘Do you want to eat anything? This café has some great cake.’ Mina smiled but Sana shook her head.

‘I don’t have much of an appetite, but thanks.’ Sana nodded. Mina wishes she could do more to help the girl.

‘I have to go visit Yerin now. Want to come along?’ Sana asked and Mina nodded with a slight smile. They paid the bill and Mina drove to the hospital.

They entered the ward to see Eunbi peeling an apple for Yerin.

‘Oh hey, you’re here. Mina.’ Eunbi nods her head at the girl who smiled in return.

‘Yerin, how are you feeling?’ Mina asked but the girl didn’t seem to hear her. ‘Yerin?’ Mina places a hand on Yerin’s shoulder and the girl recoiled away from Mina who seemed stunned.

‘Sorry. You scared me.’ Yerin said softly.

‘It’s alright.’ Mina shook her head and looked at Sana who seemed visibly worried. ‘I asked how you were.’

‘I’m alright I guess. My arm feels better but… I just can’t remember.’ Yerin said, clearly disappointed at herself.

‘Don’t stress yourself. Some things like these just take time you know? Not everything can be achieved just by wishing for it.’ Mina patted Yerin’s hand and the girl nodded. ‘Can I sign on it?’ she pointed at the cast.

‘Sure.’ Yerin smiled. Mina pulled a pen from her coat pocket and drew a penguin on the cast with a little message. Suddenly, there was a yelp from Eunbi and Yerin turned to see that the girl’s hand was bleeding. The fruit knife had slipped and cut a small gash in Eunbi’s finger.

‘Oh my god, are you okay?’ Sana asked as she grabbed a tissue to wipe the oozing blood and stem the bleeding.

‘I’m alright, just careless.’ Eunbi smiled and waved it off. Yerin seemed frozen in fear and Mina noticed how the girl had tensed up.

‘Sana, take Eunbi to get some help.’ Mina said and Sana looked at her weirdly. It was just a small gash anyway but something in Mina’s eyes told her that she should listen. Sana escorted Eunbi out and Yerin was left alone with Mina. The latter got up and closed the curtains.

‘Yerin, I know you think someone is watching you. I believe you. I really do because I can remember what you can’t. You’re not wrong and I want you to know that.’ Mina said and Yerin nodded. Her eyes seemed to light up and what Mina said.

‘I’ve heard Sana and Eunbi talking outside the ward. They said that I was getting depression and losing my mind.’ Yerin sighed.

‘I believe you’re alright. Depression is subjective actually. Sometimes, people get depression only because the people around them strongly insist that they have it, forcing them to believe they do and eventually results in a positive diagnosis.’ Mina pursed her lips.

‘Thank you for believing me.’ Yerin smiled weakly and Mina nodded.

‘It’s no problem at all. So, have you recalled anything?’ Mina asked. ‘I’ve been starting from scratch, starting with the fire at the firm.’

‘You remember the fire as well?’ Yerin gasped and Mina nodded. Just then, the door opened and Sana walked in with Eunbi who had a band aid on her cut.

‘Get well soon Yerin. I’ll take you out for a meal then, okay?’ Mina smiled and the girl beamed. Mina left with Sana shortly after, heading back to the firm. Sana was about to sit down at her desk when she saw Mina’s table filled with the reports and clippings from the explosion as well as the most recent accident.

‘What is that?’ Sana asked and Mina tried to push it into a stack behind her as she used her body to hide it.

‘N-nothing.’ Mina said as Sana approached her and reached out, grabbing a random article.

‘You’re researching these?’ Sana asked and looked at Mina.

‘Yes?’

‘Why?’

‘I just want to help you and Yerin uncover the truth. I know none of these are real but I thought that perhaps I might get a clue from some of these reports.’ Mina said and Sana sighed.

‘I know you’re trying to help but I’d appreciate if you leave this to me and Dahyun. She has scheduled an appointment for Yerin with a psychiatrist and I believe that will be more beneficial to her than us poking around with our wild guesses.’ Sana said and dropped the papers onto the table.

‘But are you sure she has depression? What if she doesn’t? What if you guys wronged her into thinking she had depression?’ Mina said and Sana slammed her had on the table.

‘Enough! I’ve known Yerin for years now and Eunbi is her fiancé. I believe we will be able to make sound decisions that will benefit her better than you.’ Sana said sharply and grabbed all the documents from Mina’s desk.

‘Hey! Those are my hard work!’ Mina said as Sana gripped them in her hand.

‘But you’re doing this for me so it’s bound to land in my hands. You know about that Japanese proverb don’t you? Keri o tsukeru. It’s time to wrap up; your job of helping me is done.’ Sana said and walked back to her desk, leaving Mina fuming at her own desk just two meters away. Jeongyeon and Jihyo exchanged glances but decided to keep quiet and pretend they didn’t hear anything.

 

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

 

Yerin was playing a game on her phone when she received a phone call from an unknown number. Her eyes shifted towards the window as she picked it up.

‘Hello?’ Yerin said carefully as sweat began to break out on her forehead.

‘I can see you.’ A voice said and Yerin’s arm flinched so violently in shock that her phone was sent flying across the room. She hugged her legs to herself as she stared at the phone, now lying on the floor. The home screen was lit up on the phone as the call disconnected.

The girl, severely distraught, swung her legs off the bed and left her ward. She walked past the nurses who seemed to be looking at her and her heart rate increased. Their gaze made her feel like they could see right through her and she felt highly uncomfortable.

She dashed towards the lift and repeatedly pressed the button. The lift arrived and she jabbed the highest floor and closed the doors. She backed up to the corner of the lift as she watched the lift climb floor by floor. There was a ding and the doors opened. She walked out and looked around at the signs.

Speed walking towards the stairwell, she lowered her head to avoid the looks of the patients and visitors that she was passing.

‘Ma’am?’ A nurse tried to stop her but she avoided the nurse’s grasp.

‘I’m just visiting someone.’ She replied hurriedly and walked off. She pushed the door open and climbed up the flight of stairs leading to the rooftop. She walked around the water tanks and piping, making her way to the very corner tucked away at the far end of the rooftop.

Yerin ducked down and pressed her back against the parapet and waited.

 

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

 

‘Missing? How can she be missing? Aren’t you supposed to have a record of all your patients?’ Sana banged her fist on the counter and the nurse sighed.

‘Ma’am, we’re trying our best to locate her. We are going through the security footage to try to pinpoint her last known location.’ She said and picked up the ringing phone. ‘Hello? Alright, thank you.’

‘Well?’ Sana demanded, gaze piercing into the nurse’s eyes.

‘One of our staff saw her on the last level of the hospital.’ The nurse said and Sana’s eyes widened. She immediately ran off, catching a lift to the top floor. She sprinted past patients and staff as she desperately searched for Yerin.

‘Have you seen a patient around here? She’s my height and has dark brown hair.’ Sana stopped a nurse who was walking by.

‘I think I did. I tried to ask her why she was here since her garb was from the lower floors but she walked off hurriedly saying she was going to visit someone.’

‘Which way did she go?’

‘That way.’ The nurse pointed towards the stairwell. Sana ran down the corridor and saw the door to the stairwell. Her gut feeling told her that she should go in. Busting the double doors open, she bolted up the stairs and came onto the roof. She looked around and saw that it was bigger than she had expected. Sana decided to start with the right, running off and vaulting over the pipes.

She would have ran by the small nook where Yerin was hiding if it wasn’t for a sharp intake of breath that didn’t sound like her own. Sana stopped in her tracks and perked her ears up for the sound. She heard another breath and she began walking towars the sound. Peering around the corner, she saw Yerin huddled up in a ball and facing the wall. She made the mistake of placing a hand on her shoulder.

Yerin, in her state of disorientation and shock, grabbed Sana’s wrist without processing who it was and pushed the person into the wall. She placed her hands on Sana’s neck and had the girl in a chokehold.

‘Yerin! It’s me!’ Sana gasped as she tried to pry Yerin’s hand away. Yerin seemed to realize what she was doing and released Sana who choked.

‘I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.’ Yerin said as she ran her hands through her hair.

‘Why are you up here?’ Sana asked and Yerin shook her head.

‘Someone called me. Someone was watching me. He said it himself!’ Yerin said and Sana held Yerin’s hand, bringing her back down to the room. Sana picked up the phone and looked at the call log. There were no calls made or answered since yesterday.

‘Are you sure someone called?’ Sana asked and Yerin nodded.

‘You don’t believe me?’ Yerin asked, eyes filled with tears and the girl pursed her lips.

‘I believe you. I’ll take this phone with me to trace the call, alright?’ Sana lied and Yerin nodded.

 

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

 

‘I think she’s not stable. I can see that she’s slipping.’ Sana sighed and rubbed her temples.

‘Don’t worry. The appointment is tomorrow. The psychiatrist would make a complete assessment of her state of mind before we make any decisions. Relax, okay?’ Dahyun rubbed Dahyun’s shoulder and the girl nodded.

‘Sleep early today, I think you need it.’ Dahyun said and walked Sana to her room.

The girl got into her car and took a deep breath.

‘Maybe... No.’ Dahyun whispered to herself and shook her head before driving off.

 


 

The psychiatrist spoke to Sana and Dahyun after Eunbi had taken Yerin home.

‘She is developing signs of schizophrenia. The phone call seemed to be part of her imagination as well as the person who she claims to be watching her. She also seems to have delusions of reference. She was speaking about how the nurses and visitors at the hospital as she walked up to the roof seemed to be staring at her and judging her. The eye bags show the lack of sleep which also brings the concern of insomnia. My opinion would be to send her to a specialist to get help.’ The psychiatrist said and Sana looked at Dahyun.

‘Thank you. I think we know what to do from here.’ Dahyun nodded with a smile. The girl led Sana to her car and got in herself.

‘Why is this happening to her? It feels so surreal.’ Sana said and placed her head in her hands.

‘It’s alright. There are medicine and treatments for this. With some counselling and support from close ones, she will get better. I assure you. I will have the best team of mental specialist to take care of her and make sure she makes a complete recovery.’ Dahyun patted Sana’s thigh. ‘To the firm?’

‘Yes. Thank you.’ Sana nodded and rested her head on the window. She needed a rest.

When she walked in, Jihyo and Jeongyeon smiled at her but Mina was concentrated on her computer with her headphones on. Sana felt guilty for getting angry at Mina that day. She finally understood how Mina must have felt when Sana said some insensitive things when they were handling Momo’s case.

‘Mina.’ Sana said but Mina didn’t seem to hear her. Sana tapped Mina’s shoulder and the girl looked at her with a gaze that didn’t seem normal.

‘Yes?’ Mina asked and Sana swallowed.

‘Do you want to talk about the fire at this firm? What you have found?’ Sana tried and Mina blinked.

‘Didn’t you tell me it was time for me to stop poking into your matters?’ Mina asked flatly and Sana felt a pang of guilt.

‘I know. I’m sorry. I was just so stressed over Yerin and so many things happened recently that I just… Lost control.’ Sana breathed and Mina took her headphones off.

‘It’s fine. I haven’t found much about the fire but it seems suspicious for some reason. I’ve stopped my investigation but if you’d like, I can continue.’ Mina said and Sana felt slightly uncomfortable at the exceptionally formal tone. Mina was always casual with her, even when they’d first met. The girl never used formal speech with her since they were the same age but hearing her sound so distant made her feel sad for some unknown reason.

許してくれませんか?(Can you forgive me?)’ Sana asked and Mina’s eyes seemed to soften slightly.

私は決してあなたに怒りませんでした。私は助けようとしたときにあなたが私を押しのけてしまったということがちょっと気になりました。(I was never angry at you. I was just upset that you pushed me away when I tried to help.)’ Mina said and smiled, placing a smile on Sana’s face.

‘I’m sorry.’

‘It’s fine. I’ll see what I can do.’ Mina nodded and went back to her work.

 


 

‘I went to see WonSik. He didn’t seem to be particularly suspicious when I showed him the photos.’ Mina said, hugging a pillow.

‘Maybe he wasn’t the one who took them?’ Chaeyoung asked.

‘Or maybe his acting is superb. Guilty or not, he has possession of the photos. He should have noticed they were gone and prepared himself to act for the worst.’ Tzuyu furrowed her eyebrows.

Mina was currently in one of the private rooms in the bar, talking to Tzuyu while she was on her break. Chaeyoung was here to accompany Mina and bring the girl home should she have a drop too much.

‘I think I should visit him more often. Perhaps I might manage to catch him tripping up.’ Mina said and Tzuyu nodded.

‘You could try. He can’t keep it up forever.’

Just then, Mina saw a very familiar face pass by outside their room. It was Dahyun. She had her hand slung over another lady’s shoulder with a smile on both their faces.

‘It’s Dahyun.’ Mina said and the girls’ eyes widened.

‘Dahyun? What is she doing here?’ Chaeyoung asked.

‘I don’t know but I’m going to follow. She doesn’t seem to be here for a friendly night out.’ Mina said and followed the pair. They went out and Dahyun leans on the wall, clearly intoxicated. The lady placed her hands on her shoulders and leaned in for a kiss. Dahyun didn’t seem to pull away.

‘Oh .’ Mina said and took out her phone to record the two in the act when Sana called her.

‘I can’t talk right now; I’m trying to film something really important.’ Mina said and hung up but when she turned back, they had disappeared.

‘Damn it.’ Mina slapped the pillar and let out a deep breath.

 

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

 

‘Listen, you won’t believe me but I swear, at the moment you called me last night, I was trying to film Dahyun. I was at the bar last night to have a talk with Tzuyu and I saw her with another girl. They were kissing on the kerb but you called before I could get any evidence down.’ Mina said and Sana shook her head.

‘Are you trying to ruin my relationship?’ Sana asked, doubting Mina’s words. Dahyun wouldn’t do that. She was loyal to Sana and she loved her. She wouldn’t do such a thing.

‘No, I swear! I saw it happen with my own eyes!’ Mina insisted.

‘Are you just bitter that your own relationship didn’t work out?’ Sana said and Jeongyeon almost let out a gasp.

‘Are you seriously going there? I’m telling you this to help you!’ Mina threw her hands into the air.

‘So what if it is true? You have nothing to lose. It’s not your relationship. If she is cheating on me, it would be our problem to settle.’ Sana said and walked to the pantry.

‘Is it just me or it’s getting harder to breathe in this place with the constant tension in the air?’ Jihyo asked and Jeongyeon nodded furiously.

‘I think we need to upgrade our ventilation system.’ Jeongyeon joked in an attempt to lighten the mood. Mina frowned and sat down. So much for trying to help once again. Just then, an idea came to mind.

‘Jihyo, come with me.’ Mina said and the girl shrugged before getting up from her seat. The tech expert got into the car without asking much.

‘We’re going after Dahyun.’ Mina said as she started the engine. Jihyo simply nodded and enjoyed the ride. They arrived at Dahyun’s office and saw that the girl’s car had just pulled up in the parking lot. Mina opened the door and Jihyo stopped her.

‘Where are you going?’

‘To talk?’ Mina said as if it was the most obvious thing.

‘What? I thought you wanted to take pictures!’ Jihyo’s big eyes widened even more.

‘It’s just a talk. If we fight, just call an ambulance.’ Mina said and got out before Jihyo could ask more questions. Mina walked up to Dahyun who seemed clearly surprised to see her.

‘Mina! It’s nice to see you. What are you doing here?’ Dahyun smiled at the girl.

‘I’m looking for you. I’d like to talk to you about last night.’ Mina said and she noticed the panic that flashed by Dahyun’s eyes for a split second before it disappeared and the girl regained composure.

‘What do you mean?’ Dahyun asked, feigning innocence.

‘I won’t say because I think you know very well what you did. I’ll just head straight to the point. Sana’s a nice person. She’s kind, caring and really tries her best to give the people she cares about the best that she can afford. I’d just like to see that when she gets married, she would marry a person that would love her as much as she does and would be faithful to her. She doesn’t deserve to be mistreated by anyone.’ Mina said as she slipped her hands into her pants pocket.

‘I am a person that would treat her well. I just don’t understand what you’re trying to say.’ Dahyun shook her head with a smile, crossing her arms.

‘I’m saying that sometimes, some mistakes are too grave to be forgiven.’ Mina said and walked up to Dahyun. They were standing facing each other, both with a posture of confidence and power as they looked at each other dead in the eye. Neither was willing to back down.

‘Okay?’ Dahyun cocked an eyebrow.

‘I’ll keep an eye on you. Mark my words.’ Mina said and narrowed her eyes before walking back to her car.

‘You two looked like you were having a cocky businessman stare down.’ Jihyo said as Mina got back into the car.

‘I’m not backing down. There’s something suspicious about her. I just know it.’ Mina mumbled.