Battle of the Exes

There's Always Sunny Days

"Good morning!" Sooyoung smiled at me the next morning as I walked into class. I gave her a smile in return and plopped into my seat, before noticing that my desk had a little teddy bear stuffed animal holding a heart on it. I picked it up and turned it over.

Sooyoung leaned over. "Your secret admirer again?" 

"I think so," I responded, putting the stuffed animal into my bag. Honestly, this was less fun than lunch was, but I appreciated that my secret admirer was trying new things. My heart fluttered a little bit. I wondered who it could be? 

So far my only thoughts were Chanyeol and Taehyung. Or maybe even someone I hadn't met yet. The point of secret admirers was supposed to be that you were too shy to say anything about your crush, right? I turned to Sooyoung. "Did you see who put it down this morning?"

Sooyoung shrugged. "Whoever it is must be getting into the classroom before me. I honestly have no idea. However, maybe I can give you a little bit of a hint, if you'd like."

"Sure thing," I said, turning my full attention to her. Isn't the fun of having a secret admirer supposed to be figuring out who they were? I was going to take advantage of the situation, since I wasn't sure I'd ever have one again.

These things don't usually happen to me. And by that I mean they don't really happen. At all. 

"Well... this is kind of personal," Sooyoung started. "So please don't go spreading it around, alright?"

I nodded. "Of course, Joy," she smiled as I used her English name. I hoped it was reassuring that I cared about her enough to remember what she told me two days ago. "You can tell me anything. Right now, you're one of my only friends."

Sooyoung smiled so brightly. "And you're one of mine!" She turned so her whole body was facing mine in her chair. "So... Taehyung and I used to date. And when he confessed to me, he didn't do all of this secret admirer stuff. I don't know, I saw you guys talking the other day, and I just thought... well, I thought maybe you could have thought it was him. And it still could be him, but... from personal experience, he didn't do it like this."

I understood what she meant. "You and Taehyung, huh? He's quite handsome."

"At first," Sooyoung smiled wanly. "Then he breaks up with you because you don't like the same kinds of foods he likes."

"Sooyoungie, similar diets are important!" Taehyung's voice came from behind me. I turned around, and saw Taehyung standing next to my desk. He crouched down so he could look up at me. "Good morning sunshine!"

Sooyoung rolled her eyes. "Is it THAT important though?" 

"How are we supposed to hang out at the same coffee shops? Or restaurants? Or get dessert together? How am I supposed to bake cute snacks for you?" Taehyung knit his eyebrows together, obviously very passionate about this subject. "You're a lovely girl, I told you that, but it wasn't going to work out if you couldn't cook my favorite meals and I couldn't cook yours."

I thought that that was a bit melodramatic for a couple in highschool. After all, how much cooking do you do for your highschool sweetheart?

Then I remembered: my secret admirer had cooked for me. And I'd enjoyed it thoroughly. Maybe this was Taehyung's way of testing to make sure that I liked to eat the same foods as him? I turned my gaze to him.

"So you like to cook?" I asked.

Taehyung shrugged. "I'm gonna be honest, not really. But food-" he rubbed his stomach as if to illustrate his point "-is a very important part of my life. And my girlfriend is also an important part of my life. And if they can't intermix... then it doesn't work out."

So Taehyung didn't like to cook... does this mean he couldn't be my secret admirer? I was honestly confused by the mixed messages in this conversation. 

Sooyoung shook her head and turned the other way. "I still think it's the dumbest thing I ever heard, but..."

"And you're entitled to feel that way, Sooyoungie!" Taehyung chirped. "Your feelings are valid, and I'm sorry I upset you."

"I'm not upset. I'm just annoyed that I wasted four months of my life that I COULD have been studying during," Sooyoung explained, pulling out her notes. "Hopefully, someday, I will find someone who prioritizes their heart over their stomach."

Taehyung chuckled. "For men, those two organs are one and the same." 

Sooyoung side eyed us both hard. "Maybe I don't care about men's organs, though."

"So you're interested in a woman who cooks, huh?" I asked, tilting my head and changing the subject. Watching exes bicker was not at the top of my to do list for entertainment, today. 

"She doesn't have to be a good cook, necessarily," Taehyung said. "She just has to like the same food as me." Taehyung smiled. "Do you like Korean food, Miss America?"

I shook my head. "Canada. And yeah, my parents are Korean so we always had Korean food around the house."

Taehyung smiled. "I better get back to my seat, but I'll talk to you both later. Cheer up, Sooyoungie. Besides your stomach, you're perfect to me."

Sooyoung sighed as the teacher went up to the front of the classroom. "He's such a doof."

"At least he's still friendly towards you," I tried to reassure her, thinking about some of my friends' nasty break ups back in Canada. 

Sooyoung agreed. "I suppose." Then she smiled. 

 

 

Authors Note: Thank you to my 3 subscribers! I appreciate each and every person who takes the time to subscribe/comment. I hope that you like my upcoming chapters and where I will go with this story! Please leave feedback as to who you think the secret admirer is ;)