A Walk Home

There's Always Sunny Days

After class was dismissed, the boy who had previously waved at me from across the classroom approached me. "Hey, you're new here, right? I'm Taehyung," he said, shooting me a happy grin. 

I heard Sooyoung snort behind me. "It's nice to see you again, too, Taehyung."

"Oh, hey, Sooyoung. Didn't see you there!" Taehyung leaned around me to shoot her another dazzling smile. "How are you?"

"Fine, thank you," Sooyoung said briskly, and then grabbed her things, walking out of the room. Taehyung didn't seem bothered by her attitude in the slightest. 

I crinkled my eyebrows. "Do you guys not get along very well?"

Taehyung chuckled. "You can say that. I think we get along fine. Just... less well than we used to, if you know what I mean." He winked, and then grabbed my book bag out of my hand. "I can carry this for you, at least until we reach the front of the school. It's not a big deal."

If I'm honest, I wasn't quite sure what he had meant. Maybe I'd ask Sooyoung later. It didn't seem important right now. There was a nice enough boy offering to carry my bags, and I wasn't going to say no. Especially when he was secret admirer suspect number one at the current moment. "Oh, thank you. Are you sure?"

"Of course I'm sure, anything to be a gentleman," Taehyung replied. "I didn't quite catch your name."

Probably because I hadn't told him it. "I'm Hannah, I'm new."

"I know you're new," Taehyung smiled. "You said yesterday that you were from Canada, right? That's pretty cool, I've never been outside of Korea. What's it like?"

I shrugged. "There's significantly less Koreans. And more people who speak English."

Taehyung laughed, as if I'd given him a real answer to his question. We exited the classroom, with him still holding my bags. "How has your stay here been, so far?"

"It's been alright. The schoolwork isn't so bad, I suppose it could be worse."

"It could always be worse," a third voice entered the conversation. The ferret boy from yesterday promptly entered the conversation, falling into step beside me. "Just when you think it can't get any harder, the teachers seem to find a way to make it so."

Taehyung smiled up at Chanyeol, who was significantly taller than any of us. "Hey, Chanyeol, long time no see. Have you met Hannah?"

"Have I?" Chanyeol asked rhetorically, flashing me a toothy grin and sliding his arm around me. It seems to be a habit of his. "We're practically best friends. We ride the subway together and everything."

Taehyung didn't seem phased by this proclamation. "I see. Well, Hannah and I just met, but I'm sure that we'll be just as close in no time."

"Really?" I asked, quirking an eyebrow at both of the males. "Hang on, guys, I just met you. What makes me so interesting?"

Chanyeol shrugged. "I just need someone to practice my English homework with." He winked at me when I made a disapproving face. As we approached the front of the school, he turned to Taehyung. "Since Hannah and I ride the subway home together, allow me to take her bag."

Taehyung squinted. "What makes you think I would just hand over her bag that easily?"

I sensed a competition arising (over my bag? Korea is a strange place, honestly), so I grabbed it from Taehyung's hands and put it on myself. "I'm gonna be honest guys, I have no problems carrying this all by myself. It was nice meeting you, Taehyung, I'll see you tomorrow in class!"

Taehyung waved and walked the opposite direction from Chanyeol and I, as we continued towards our subway stop. Chanyeol huffed. "I wish I got to be in the same class as you. He's lucky."

"We can't even talk to each other in class. Honestly, it's not such a big deal," I said, readjusting my bag so it sat more evenly on my shoulders. 

Chanyeol looked at me out of the corner of his eyes. "Yeah, but I could look at you during class. I bet you're just as cute in class as you are out of it."

I felt a blush come over my face, but fought to stay calm. "You should be focusing on the teacher," I admonished slightly, refusing to make eye contact. I heard him chuckle beside me. 

"Hm, then maybe it's a blessing in disguise that we don't have class together. I'll just have to focus extra well on you while I'm with you, then." Chanyeol quickly changed the subject into some type of manga he was reading, but my mind lingered on the interaction we'd just had while he blabbered away unceremoniously. 

Maybe Taehyung wasn't my secret admirer like I had previously suspected. Chanyeol seemed like a much more obvious candidate. 

Either way, I hoped to receive more food. Isn't that always the goal?