bleacher talk

slapshot into my heart

~~~

 

Swinging his legs back and forth on the bleachers, Jongin watches in fascination as Sehun (or at least he thinks that's Sehun, he really isn't sure given the identical uniforms) sprints across the field before him with who Jongin thinks is either Chanyeol or Yifan (it can't be Junmyeon, since there's a significant height difference between the three for somebody to mix them up). They've been doing that for the past fifty minutes (including endless amounts of jumping jacks, pushups, stretching and much more) and every single time, to Jongin's amazement, Sehun has come first. Not that it matters or anything. Not at all.

"Look at them go," Jongdae hums, following Chanyeol with his eyes. "Man, it's just like the movies." He chuckles slightly. "You know, those awful 90's movies? Please don't tell me I'm the only one who-"

"Yeah, you're the only bloody one," Baekhyun groans, dragging a hand down his face. "Nice dress, by the way," he giggles with a pointed look at Jongin, who only rolls his eyes.

Jongdae shrugs. "Just saying." He leans back a little and closes his eyes, the sun beating down on his face. "Isn't it weird how it's like, two degrees below zero yet the sun's as bright as ever?" he asks nobody in particular. Baekhyun only thinks he looks like a fool.

Hearing Sehun's coach yelling something along the lines of 'Park Chanyeol, get up off the ground', Jongin shifts into a more comfortable position (the metal benches are seriously making his behind go numb) as he follows Sehun, or rather, the jersey marked '94', with his eyes. He watches in awe as Sehun gathers every member of the team before saying something (Jongin assumes Sehun is instructing them, since the latter is gesturing wildly with his hands), but he isn't quite sure since Sehun's got his back turned to him, not to mention the wind makes it impossible to hear anything. Either way, the rest of the team seem to nod their heads in unision before spreading out, quickly scattering across the grassy green field before they (half-assedly) line up diagonally. Sehun stands before them with the ball in his hands while Junmyeon and Kyungsoo bounce up and down in eagerness.

"You know," Jongdae starts, opening his eyes and apparently forgetting the fact that he's staring right into the sun, because he instantly hisses and scrambles to cover his face. "Ah, damn it. Anyway, I know you were kidding and all, but wouldn't a limo sound like a great idea?" He pokes Baekhyun's shoulder after assuring himself that his eyes aren't going to melt out of their sockets.

Baekhyun smacks Jongdae's hand away. "Junmyeon doesn't even have a license, and second of all, what does it matter?" he huffs, practically bouncing up and down in his seat when Sehun passes the ball to Junmyeon (with remarkable force, for that matter), who effortlessly catches it in his hands. "Did you see that? Man, he's the best, isn't he?" he sighs dreamily and Jongdae gags dramatically. 

As much as Jongin despises Baekhyun's sappiness, he won't deny that Junmyeon's catch was, indeed, quite remarkable. Almost like the ball was into his hand, he thinks as he watches Junmyeon pass the ball back to Sehun, who catches it in his (non-dominant, as the brunet notices) hand, only to pass it to Chanyeol, who catches it even though he stumbles slightly.

"I wouldn't say he's the best," Jongin mumbles absentmindedly as his eyes follow the brown, egg-shaped ball before him. He's suddenly lucky that all three of them are sitting at the way top of the bleachers, because the mere thought of someone passing the ball to Sehun with a little too much force or with the incorrect technique, and Sehun missing it, ultimately leading to the ball possibly slamming right into either his, Jongdae or Baekhyun's face, makes Jongin's skin crawl, which even he doesn't understand, considering the fact that he's been struck in the shin multiple times by Yixing, and one time even hit square in the face with Lu Han's stick. Alas, Jongin figures that if he had to choose between having a football fly towards him at 60 miles per hour or a hockey puck strike him in the leg, he's pretty sure he knows which one he'd prefer.

Baekhyun rolls his eyes, perfectly in sync with the coach's whistle. "That's only 'cause Sehun's your boyfriend, genius," he mutters, turning to face the field again. "And besides, he's the captain, you can't compare 'em," he adds, wrapping his arms around his torso when a gust of wind passes.

"We could ask Yifan, you know," Jongdae says, but his expression soon melts into one of pure distaste. "Nevermind. That asswipe. Damn it, he was our only hope at arriving in style and all classy and he had to go be a -," he grumbles although his eyes quickly light up when Sehun walks over to Chanyeol and pats the latter on the back in an encouraging manner. 

Feeling his stomach grow hot at the mention of Yifan's name, Jongin shrugs, choosing to keep his eyes locked on Sehun to keep himself from blowing a fuse. He honestly doesn't want to talk about Yifan at all, so he decides to change the subject. "By the way, so like," he mumbles, tracing invisible patterns onto the cool metal beneath him, "what's the deal with you guys?" He looks up when neither Jongdae nor Baekhyun say anything. "You know, are you...?"

Baekhyun shrugs. "I honestly don't know," he sighs, keeping his eyes glued on Junmyeon as the latter runs back and forth with high knees. "I mean, honestly, I'm not sure, I mean- I haven't asked him, you know? But-" 

"He asked you to prom for a reason, numbskull," Jongdae chuckles, although there's a glint of unsureness in his eyes, as well. "I don't know either."

"Yeah, he asked you to prom for a reason," Jongin says, gaze darting between Jongdae and Baekhyun. "Don't be so dense. By the way, I don't know if you've noticed, but Junmyeon stares at you a lot," he adds with a pointed look at Baekhyun. 

"We'll see how everything goes," Baekhyun says simply. "Don't wanna rush anything." He stretches and checks the time on his phone. "Hey, by the way, that was ballsy as hell of you."

Jongin raises an eyebrow. "Me? What did I do? Please tell me this isn't about Sehun's coat or I'll deck you-"

"When you asked Sehun out to prom, obviously," Jongdae interjects with an impressed nod. "Seriously, I was not expecting that, holy Jesus-" He chuckles a little and closes his eyes.

"Yeah, you're improving," Baekhyun says with an encouraging thump on Jongin's back. He looks back towards the field just in time to see Chanyeol getting tackled to the ground by who he assumes must be Kyungsoo. "Damn, the little one's got some strength in him."

Watching Chanyeol roll around on the ground before he successfully pries Kyungsoo off of him, Jongin giggles a little, and he's about to reply and tell Baekhyun all about how he totally wasn't expecting Sehun to accept his request when his phone buzzes twice with a text. In the commotion, that is the coach's yelling combined with the overall noises from the team, he doesn't even bother checking who it's from.

 

 

From: Minnie

WHY AREN'T YOU AT PRACTICE?????????????????

 

 

Jongin bites his lip. He knows for a fact that dragging himself to hockey will end up doing him no good, considering the fact that he didn't even think about bringing his equipment and gear, not to mention he doesn't have the energy to stand up and walk to the rink, even if it means simply watching Yixing and Minseok play. 

 

 

To: Minnie

Caught up with something else at the moment, sorry :x Make sure to take care of Yixing for me, though! 

 

 

Jongin re-reads his message a couple of times before pressing 'Send', and he quickly puts his phone away before looking up, right at Jongdae and Baekhyun, who are both staring at him in wonder. "What?"

"Who're you texting?" Baekhyun asks, gaze flickering between Jongin and the field. 

"Nobody special," Jongin says casually and inwardly curses when Baekhyun rolls his eyes. "Okay, fine, just this guy named Minseok, from my hockey team, wondering where I am, I doubt you know who he i-" His sentence ends in a squawk of surprise when Baekhyun and Jongdae both widen their eyes. 

"Kim Minseok?" Jongdae asks for good measure and flails his hands around when Jongin nods. "Dude, of course we remember him, you two used to hang out all the time back in what, eighth grade? Hey, is Yixing still as forgetful as usual?" He sends Jongin a smug look.

Jongin blinks. "Yeah, he is, actually," he mutters, fidgeting in his lap. "Wait, how'd you kn-"

"You kept telling us, ," Baekhyun chuckles before his eyes widen a little. "Wait, does that mean- Did you- Holy -"

"Yeah, I'm playing again," Jongin says, seriously not understanding why it's such a big deal to either of them. "Nothing's changed like, at all," he adds, deliberately deciding to leave out the part about Lu Han quitting since he figures Baekhyun and Jongdae don't need to know about that. "Anyway, how long are they gonna keep at it? How long've we been sitting here, even?" He squirms a little and winces when a sense of pain spreads across his bottom.

Baekhyun shrugs. "Two more hours, I guess," he hums before his eyebrows furrow. "Wait, why'd Minseok text you, anyway?" He turns his head to look at Sehun, Chanyeol and Junmyeon, who are all racing each other down the field, and Jongin seriously wonders how they aren't sweating to death inside their helmets.

"He wondered why I wasn't at practice," Jongin mutters, propping his feet up on the bench in front of him. "In all caps and ten billion question marks. Why?"

"Why's he so desperate? Is Yixing not good enough for him, or?" Jongdae snickers, fist pumping the air when Chanyeol tackles Junmyeon, the latter subsequently standing up and tackling him back. Of course.

Jongin shivers when a cold gust of wind passes and he buttons Sehun's coat up to his chin. "We've got a match on Saturday," he says simply, "but I'm not feeling it, to be honest." He runs a hand through his hair and chuckles a bit when the coach yells at Chanyeol, again, to 'get up off the ground'. He doesn't blame Chanyeol, though, because he'd probably drop dead after just about an hour.

"On Saturday?" Baekhyun asks, raising an eyebrow. "Jeez, what are the odds," he adds, stuffing his hands into his pockets as he follows Junmyeon with his gaze. "Damn, it's getting cold."

"You wish Junmyeon gave you his jacket, huh," Jongin chuckles before blinking in surprise. "Whaddya mean, 'the odds'?"

Jongdae blinks. "You don't know?"

"What now?" Jongin bites his lip.

"You're both playing a match on the same day," Baekhyun says absentmindedly, fist pumping the air when Junmyeon turns to look in their direction, much to Jongdae's irritation. "I mean, I'd tell you to skip prom and focus on training instead but you need some quality time with Prince Charming, so I guess the ice will have to wait," he adds with a small laugh. "Not to mention you're out of the park anyway, so."

With a noise of surprise, Jongin looks back at the field, where the coach is busy telling Sehun and the rest of his team God knows what. He had zero clue Sehun was supposed to play a match on Saturday, because if he remembers correctly, Sehun (let alone anybody else, for that matter) hasn't told him anything about it, and Jongin scratches the back of his head as he slides down the bench a little. It's not that he cares, so to speak, because if he's going to be completely honest, Jongin isn't too set on playing in the first place, especially not now, considering the fact that there are other things that require his complete and undivided attention as of right now; things that have absolutely nothing to do with hockey, Minseok or Yixing.

"You mean you didn't know?" Jongdae asks, pulling out his phone and opening up the camera. Upon closer inspection, Jongin notices him zooming in as much as possible before he snaps a photo of Chanyeol when the latter does a split. "Look at how flexible he is! Isn't that cool?" he squeals as he opens up his Messenger app, presumably to message it to the taller.

"You sound like an idiot," Jongin (accidentally) says out loud, hissing when he looks up at the sky, only to get an eye full of the sun's rays. "And no, I didn't, but now I do," he adds sarcastically. Prom one day and a match the day after, he thinks in bewilderment. These guys have it tough. He's about to open his mouth to say something else when he suddenly feels the bench shake, closely followed by a rattling sound, like metal clashing against metal (which definitely doesn't make him jump five feet in the air), and he whips his head up in surprise.

"Sorry," Sehun says unapologetically as he walks up the bleachers like a set of stairs, two at a time, as effortlessly as ever, before finally coming to a stop at the way top and sitting down next to the brunet. "It's hard to be quiet while making your way up these goddamn things," he mutters before reaching up and swiftly removing his helmet and placing it next to him on the bench. Jongin watches, mesmerized, as he reaches into his mouth and gently removes his mouthguard before picking up his water bottle. "How're you holding up?" 

It takes Jongin a moment to focus and he tears his eyes off Sehun's (very) messy hair and how well it accompanies his sweat covered neck. With a half-assed reply, Jongin, briefly forgetting the fact that Baekhyun and Jongdae exist, carefully rests his head on Sehun's shoulder. Despite the fact that Sehun has been going hard on the field for two consecutive hours, he doesn't smell like sweat, much to Jongin's surprise. In fact, after a few seconds, Jongin is at least 99% sure that he catches a whiff of Sehun's fragrance and, honestly, he doesn't even know if he's imagining things at this point but he honestly doesn't care. When he links their arms together, Jongin feels a great sense of security overwhelm him (he blames Sehun's uniform to the very fullest), which totally doesn't set off a spark somewhere deep inside his gut. 

"I didn't hear that, but sure," Sehun chuckles before raising the bottle to his lips and taking a long swig. He places it on the floor by his feet a second before Junmyeon, Chanyeol and (unfortunately) Yifan make their way up the bleachers, too (to Jongin's relief, Yifan ends up sitting by himself, three rows below them). "I figured you'd have gotten bored and left by now," he adds with a shrug as he uses his free hand to remove a piece of dust from the brunet's hair.

Jongin rolls his eyes. "Why on Earth would I leave?" he asks, crossing his legs and shivering a little when yet another ice cold breeze passes by and promptly messes up his hair. "And Jesus, you'd think he'd stop by now," he murmurs while gesturing at Junmyeon, who is in the midst of lighting a cigarette. Baekhyun's squawk of protest is heard shortly after the smell of tobacco fills the air and honestly, Jongin can't bring himself to care anymore. He figures Junmyeon's (tedious) smoking habits doesn't involve him in any way.

"I don't know, it's just that, you know," Sehun starts, leaning back and crossing one leg over the other as he gets a face full of the sun, "watching twelve guys do jumping jacks and pass a ball to each other over and over for four hours straight might get a bit tiring after a while, or that's at least what I've always figured." He sits up shortly after and rubs the small of Jongin's back. "You cold?"

"Yeah, but after seeing you in that big gear of yours, I'm not so much anymore," Jongin mutters with absolutely no sarcasm whatsoever (seriously, he doesn't understand how Sehun isn't sweating to death or melting into a puddle at this point) as he watches Jongdae stand up and walk over to Chanyeol, who is sitting right by the brunet's feet. Jongin fights the urge to playfully kick them both, but decides against it for obvious reasons. "And wait, are you done already?" he asks in surprise. 

Sehun shakes his head before running his hand through his hair in a meek attempt to fix it. "Break," he says simply before sticking his tongue out and panting dramatically. "Christ, it gets hot in there after a while," he hums, gesturing at his helmet before pointing into the distance. "Your jacket's somewhere over there, by the way. I couldn't hang it up anywhere so I chose to spread it out on the ground instead if that's alright."

Squinting, Jongin nods even though he can barely even see anything. "It's fine," he says, trying to crane his neck to get a better view of whatever game Jongdae is playing on Chanyeol's phone. When it doesn't work, he huffs before letting his eyes inspect his surroundings. They soon land on Yifan, who is sitting alone, probably grumbling to himself, and Jongin is thankful that Yifan has his back turned to them because he knows for a fact that if he didn't, he'd be staring daggers at the brunet throughout all of the break, and the latter bites his lip in irritation. 

"Seriously," Jongdae says while coughing into his fist, "how can you smoke so much?" He gestures at Junmyeon, who merely shrugs. "I mean, you already smell like an ashtray on a regular basis, no need to add to it," he adds, not taking his eyes off the screen. 

"You try smoking for a while and then we'll find out if solely smelling like tobacco feels just as good as having it inside of you," Junmyeon grumbles under his breath as he takes a long drag. He exhales a large cloud of smoke in Jongdae's direction, presumably to tick the latter off. "You'll be crawling back to me, just saying." He's about to raise the stick to his lips again when he sees Chanyeol's deadly glare. "The hell's the matter with you?"

Placing a protective arm on Jongdae's shoulder, Chanyeol stares at Junmyeon intently. "Get him addicted to your bull and I swear to God I'll behead you in your sleep if it's the last thing I do," he growls and, even though Junmyeon knows he's (hopefully) joking, the latter visibly shifts.

"You're lucky, Junmyeon," Jongdae chuckles, apparently unfazed. "It's actually been proven that smokers have a lower chance of finding a partner, so if I were you I'd keep Baek for good." He sends Junmyeon, who only takes another drag, a thumbs up.

"Man, I hate you all more than anything," Junmyeon grumbles under his breath before throwing his cigarette on the ground and putting it out with his cleat. "And God damn it, I'm tired as hell, I just wanna go home, ," he curses, his expression immediately shifting to one that closely resembles an embarrassed baby bunny when Baekhyun ruffles his hair and rubs his cheek with his hand. "Cut it out-"

"I don't even know why I bother dragging myself to practice anymore," Chanyeol mutters, tying his shoes. "If it wasn't for Nationals next week I would've been at home fast asleep right about now."

Baekhyun rolls his eyes. "You're all just stressed 'cause of prom, that's all," he says as a matter-of-factly before his eyes light up. "Hey, speaking of prom, you're still gonna be our driver, right?" he asks Junmyeon as he pokes the latter's shoulder over and over.

"I hear you, and I already told you, I can't be your goddamn driver," Junmyeon huffs as he reaching into his pocket, only for Baekhyun to slap his hand away. "It's not my in' fault I can't drive, gimme a break," he grumbles before retrieving another cigarette from his pocket and lighting it, all while ignoring Baekhyun's sounds of protest.

"But arriving to prom by bus sounds so freaking boring," Jongdae moans in agony. 

"Would you rather arrive to prom in a not so fancy manner or never even make it in the first place as a result of crashing after forcing me drive you when you know damn good and well I don't have a license?" Junmyeon asks, raising an eyebrow and chuckling when silence fills the air. "Exactly, so quit asking me already. Jeez, where were y'all when they were passing out brains?"

Jongdae pouts before he suddenly reaches out and pokes the back of Yifan's head, making the latter jump. "Hey, could you drive us to-"

"I'm not driving you anywhere," Yifan says bitterly, not taking his eyes off his phone.

"Why not?" Jongdae, Chanyeol, Jongin and Baekhyun (and maybe even Junmyeon) all exclaim simultaneously.

"Because I don't want to, simple as that," is all Yifan says before he puts his phone away and picks up his helmet and water bottle. Baekhyun follows him with his eyes as he stands up and swiftly makes his way down to the field again, where Kyungsoo is.

Jongdae groans. "What a sourpuss," he growls in annoyance. "Well, does anyone have a better option?" 

"We could ask Sehun if he's got a permit, I mean, even if he doesn't I'm sure he'll get away with it since he looks at least 25, we could borrow Yifan's car," Baekhyun suggests with a shrug before he looks up. "Nevermind, they're ing," he mutters, quickly turning his head away and looking at Chanyeol. "Christ."

Practically whirling around in his seat, just in time to see Sehun attach his lips to Jongin's neck, Jongdae emits a noise of surprise. "The hell guys, come on, we're right here, you know," he babbles, although there's a great hint of amusement lacing his words. "Jesus, save it for the bedroom," he adds, turning his attention back to Chanyeol's phone.

"No, I haven't," Sehun says before picking up his water bottle, his calm tone of voice a humongous contrast to Jongin's, who is basically shaking like a leaf in embarrassment. "We'll figure something out, don't worry. Anyhow, what's with all the hype, anyway? It's just a stupid dance," he mumbles, his words muffled since he's got water in his mouth.

Baekhyun blinks. "Seriously?" he exclaims as if Sehun has asked one of the most dreadful questions in the world. "I mean, you know, aside from the fact that you'll get to spend time with your boyfriend," he says dramatically after marching over to the brunet and pointing at him, to which Sehun replies by giving the latter a kiss on the temple. "Jesus, you uncultured swine," he huffs before crossing his arms over his chest. 

Putting his hands up in defense when Jongdae and Chanyeol chuckle, Sehun massages his biceps, which are starting to ache. "I guess, I guess," he mutters, regretting even bringing up the topic of prom to begin with since Baekhyun looks like he wants to strangle him. "Anyway-"

"By the way," Jongdae interjects, handing Chanyeol's phone back to the latter, "who do you think will be crowned Prom King and Queen?" His eyes dart back and forth between everybody with a wide grin and Sehun inwardly screams.

Junmyeon shrugs. "Its-"

"Definitely not you," Chanyeol snickers and he emits an inhuman screech when Junmyeon threatens to burn him with his cigarette (which he has done on more than one occasion). "I'm just saying! I mean seriously, even if you were to get crowned Prom King, your queen would most likely leave you less than a second, anyway, since I'd assume she'll be expecting to dance with well, a king, and not a walking piece of tobacco," he adds and shrugs as if to say 'It's not me, it's you', before fanning his face with his hand. "Jesus, it's hot as balls out here."

Baekhyun rolls his eyes. "I dunno, to be honest," he mumbles, sliding down the railing after his legs protest in pain. "I mean, I don't know any seniors attractive enough to be worthy of getting crowned Prom King-"

"Except for me," Junmyeon blurts out and, for once (at least on Jongin's part) since, well, a long time, he blushes furiously, and his face soon turns a shade of scarlet. He mutter something along the lines of 'Jesus' before clearing his throat awkwardly and facing the field, on which Kyungsoo purposely trips Yifan for some odd reason.

Baekhyun is silent for a minute before he grins widely. "Well, yeah, duh," he laughs as he ruffles Junmyeon's damp hair, to which the latter, surprisingly, doesn't even protest. "Anyway, I-"

"It has to be me," Chanyeol says proudly, placing a dramatic hand on his chest for emphasis. "I mean, I'm smart, I'm social, I'm handsome-" He cuts himself off and rolls his eyes when Junmyeon nearly chokes on his own spit laughing at the last word. "Shut the up, I'm like, a hundred times handsomer-er than you," he grumbles, leaning back against Sehun's legs and making himself comfortable.

"First of all, that's not even a word," Junmyeon starts, shaking his head in amusement, "and second of all, I don't know if you're all simply pretending to be idiots or whatever, but I think I speak for all of us when I say that he-" He points a finger, almost accusingly, at Sehun, who blinks. "-is going to be the King tomorrow. Hey, I'm not saying y'all are ugly or anything, it's just...yeah, whatever, y'all."

Sehun shrugs nonchalantly, not because he wasn't expecting it, which he most definitely was (and now dreads it), but because he simply can't bring himself to pay it any mind. He has never found the idea of getting rewarded for doing literally nothing appealing whatsoever and he doesn't think he's going to be changing his mind anytime soon. "That's uh...very nice of you, but-" He doesn't even get to utter the words 'I don't care, really' when Jongdae speaks up.

"Of course it's gonna be Sehun," Jongdae says, almost in a disappointing tone as he pats Chanyeol's back reassuringly (in all honesty, Sehun doesn't know if he should take offense to that or not). "I don't think anybody's surprised, really," he adds with a chuckle before turning around in his seat. "And hey, I mean, good choice, right? I mean, Sehun's handsome, funny, social, confident, did I say good looking? Well, he is." He sends Sehun a dramatically bright grin and nearly laughs his chin off when Jongin's jaw subsequently hits the floor. "Calm down, princess, I'm just kidding."

Wincing when Jongin tightens his grip on his arm, Sehun shrugs. "Thanks, but-" He has to stop and plant a kiss on Jongin's temple after the latter shoots Jongdae a look so deadly that the taller briefly worries for Jongdae's safety. "I don't really care- I mean, it's kinda dumb, you know? Like, they should hand out those things to someone who actually deserves it," he adds before placing a hand on the brunet's thigh. 

"Yeah, like me," Chanyeol chuckles before he shifts a bit, ignoring Sehun's hiss of pain. "Jeez, your legs are rock hard. Anyway, it ain't a big deal, but still, Sehun, dude, you've got 'Prom King' written all over you, you should be grateful, you bastard," he grumbles. "Oh well, as long as your dame isn't a crazy I think we'll all be fine."

"You'll probably end up having to dance with one of 'em," Junmyeon snickers and Sehun shivers at the idea. He's about to open his mouth when he hears Kyungsoo yelling at them to come back down, closely followed by their coach hollering the same thing. "Gotta go," he mutters, less than enthusiastically, before turning to face Baekhyun. "How long are you three even planning on staying?" he asks, tossing what's left of his cigarette, which is basically nothing, over the railing.

Baekhyun shrugs. "No clue, but you'll notice if I slip away," he says as a matter-of-factly before reaching out and squishing Junmyeon's cheeks together. "I'll call you later. Now go get 'em, Tiger," he coos and nearly laughs his chin off when Junmyeon nearly smacks his mouth off.

"Try not to get your kicked by someone who's four whole inches shorter than you, by the way," Jongdae mumbles into Chanyeol's hair when the latter pulls him in for a hug, only for Chanyeol to poke him in the waist. "Just saying! It makes you look weird!"

Sehun rubs his legs, awfully glad Chanyeol is no longer there to weigh them down to the point of snapping in half. He bites the inside of his cheek when he watches Junmyeon and Chanyeol swiftly make their way down to the field, a heavy feeling settling in his gut. Next to him, Jongin looks crestfallen in a way and Sehun inwardly sighs before picking up his water bottle and helmet.

"I'll see you tomorrow if you choose not to sit through the entire thing," Sehun mumbles whilst embracing Jongin in a bone crushing hug (Jongin is actually really surprised that his body isn't getting crushed to smithereens due to Sehun's uniform because, from the looks of it, he'd always figured that it would be hard as steel, and boy was he wrong). The latter (still) smells like strawberry and Sehun makes sure to get a proper whiff of it for good luck (he isn't sure how that would work, but still). 

"Do you have a meeting today?" Jongin mumbles into the crook of Sehun's neck, ignoring Baekhyun and Jongdae's godawful giggles to his right. When Sehun only groans, presumably in realization, Jongin only chuckles sheepishly before leaning away. With a meek 'Sorry', he proceeds to remove Sehun's coat, but he stills when the latter only shakes his head.

"Yeah, at like, five," Sehun says simply, fighting the urge to scream ' my life', because he'd rather impale himself on a cactus than have to sit through two and a half hours of brain melting boredom and get home at eight thirty.  "And Christ, keep it, you'll freeze to death without it," he chuckles, motioning for Jongin to put the coat back on, which he does, after a brief moment of hesitation. "I'll make sure to bring your jacket tomorrow, though, so don't worry." He barely registers his coach calling his name thirty feet away as he reaches out and tucks a lock of hair behind Jongin's ear. "Hey, not to be corny or anything, but has anybody ever told you how beautiful you are?"

Nearly smacking Sehun's face off, Jongin emits an unattractive series of garbled noises and he tries his hardest not to let his face flush a deep scarlet while simultaneously fighting the urge to shove both Jongdae and Baekhyun down the stairs. As much as he wants to snatch Sehun's water bottle out of the latter's hand and soak him with it, Jongin can't bring himself to do so, because even though he (definitely) despises how much the unexpected remarks throw him off guard (especially when Jongdae and Baekhyun happen to witness it) every single time, Jongin would be lying if he said he didn't miss it. On a side note, Jongin briefly wonders if Sehun decided to do what he did simply to get a laugh out of Baekhyun and Jongdae, but he honestly doubts it, since he figures randomly spewing compliments is simply part of Sehun's nature. Or so Jongin hopes, for Sehun's sake.

"You two are disgusting," Baekhyun groans as he drags a hand down his face. He runs a hand through his bright red locks and eagerly waves back at Junmyeon when the latter waves from his spot on the field.

"Yeah, gross," Jongdae chuckles, trying to sound serious, but his tone easily gives him away. "And you're just jealous 'cause Junmyeon never compliments you," he adds with a shrug, ducking just in time to avoid getting his cranium shattered when the redhead's fist comes flying towards his head. "Point proven!"

"He just isn't the type to compliment people!" Baekhyun retorts with an angry huff. 

Tearing his eyes off Jongdae and Baekhyun's shenanigans (as Jongin likes to call it), Sehun leans in and swiftly kisses Jongin's cheek, the latter still as unmoving as ever. "I'll see you," he says after leaning away, and he mumbles a quick goodbye to Jongdae and Baekhyun as he makes his way down the stairs, promptly emitting a squawk of 'Watch it, I could break my neck!' when the redhead whacks him on the back, presumably for good luck, nearly causing him to miss a step and tumble down the steps.

Jongin sits back down, face still burning, but chest warm, as he watches Sehun run off to join Junmyeon (who seemingly has a surpring amount of energy for a footballer who smokes three to four cigarettes a day) Yifan, Kyungsoo and Chanyeol on the field. Jongin watches Sehun put his helmet back on (as well as his mouthpiece, which he swiftly pops into his mouth) and suddenly feels as if somebody has dropped a bomb inside his gut, and Jongin has to sit with his legs close together to prevent himself from standing up and jumping up and down in exhilaration when the sound of a whistle fills the air. A cold gust of wind passes after the sun is covered by gray clouds and Jongin instinctively wraps Sehun's coat tighter around his torso.

"I still wanna hire that limo," Jongdae says out of nowhere before he shivers at the quick drop in temperature. "I refuse to take the frigging bus to prom!" he huffs before lying down across the bench he's sitting on and making himself comfortable.

Baekhyun leans against the railing and steps on Junmyeon's cigarette . "We'll think of something, lunkhead, calm your ," he mutters before shoving his hands in his pockets. 

Grabbing his backpack off the floor (and ignoring Jongdae and Baekhyun's bickering to the fullest), since his phone is out of battery, Jongin opens up his laptop and clicks on the Wi-Fi symbol and blinks in surprise when it, to his astonishment, connects a second later (on the other hand, they're only a mere fifty feet away from the school building, but even so) and Jongin wastes no time in logging onto his Facebook and subsequently opening up his and Sehun's Messenger conversation, which has been dormant for almost two weeks.

 

 

(3:32 PM) You're great out there!!! ❤❤❤ Good luck with your meeting btw (don't die, of boredom, please) Love you o(>ω<)o 
 (3:32 PM) 

 

 

Jongin nearly laughs out loud after he presses the 'Enter' key. It's a corny move, especially with the addition of the sticker, and he knows it, but he figures he might as well give Sehun something to read after practice is over and before his meeting. Jongin closes his laptop before carefully putting it inside his backpack, zipping it shut and carelessly tossing it aside. He copies Jongdae by gently lying down and spreading himself out across the bench and shifting to get into a comfortable position. The metal beneath his head is cold and hard and slightly uncomfortably, but the scent of Sehun's perfume effectively makes Jongin forget all about the aching in his cranium as he slowly turns around so he's lying on his side and facing the field. 

As Jongin follows the jersey marked '94' with his eyes as it elegantly moves in all directions, as well as the ball, which never seems to touch the ground even once, he crosses his arms over his chest in an attempt at conserving energy. However, when another, even colder, gust of wind passes, Jongin quickly sits up and, after a brief struggle, removes Sehun's coat before lying back down and carefully placing it on top of him like a blanket. Surprisingly enough, it works wonders at locking in the brunet's body heat and Jongin continues to watch Sehun, Yifan, Kyungsoo, Chanyeol and Junmyeon tackle each other almost ruthlessly.

After a few moments, another icy breeze passes through, but Jongin barely even notices, and he smiles slightly when he hears Sehun's coach holler something along the lines of 'Park Chanyeol, get the hell up off the ground already!' before he reaches up and pulls Sehun's coat up to his ear.

 

~~~