confessions

slapshot into my heart

~~~

1:21 PM

 

TUESDAY

 

 

"I swear to God, this can't be real food," Minseok mumbles in disgust, picking the lettuce out of his hamburger. "What're they trying to do, poison us?" he adds only half jokingly before shoving it in his mouth.

Jongin only chuckles as he crosses his legs under the table. They're about twenty minutes into lunch and he's still ecstatic about the fact that he managed to convince Minseok to eat with him since the latter just so happened to be on recess from 1 to half past two. Well, Jongin isn't only happy because Minseok is there to keep him company, it's also (correction, mainly) because he doesn't remember the last time he had proper (although Jongin uses that term very loosely) food and he eyes the three hamburgers on his tray in triumph. He certainly hopes that wasting away recess by sitting by himself in some corner of the library while dining on some awfully pre-made sandwich; that those times, are over.

"Remember, same time today," Minseok says between chews before wiping his mouth with a napkin. "By the way, I doubt Yixing's found his shin pads so make sure to keep them as far away from him as humaly possible later, alright?" he adds, chuckling when Jongin grins. 

"Yeah, yeah," Jongin says absentmindedly before stuffing half a hamburger into his mouth, much to Minseok's disgust.

Jongin didn't forget his equipment this morning. To be exact, he forgot it yesterday. In Yifan's car, to be exact, and he makes a mental note to ask Yifan for it back at some point during the day. On a side note, Jongin figures he would come dangerously close to forgetting his bag this morning anyway, considering the fact that he woke up feeling extremely fuzzy on the inside, like a teddy bear, and there was still a certain high buzzing in his body which ultimately would have made finding his equipment awfully difficult. 

"May I check my eBay account on your phone?" Minseok asks, eyes wide in hope. "My cell's dead and there's this bad neck guard I ordered last night, I gotta check if my order's been verified," he adds and bats his eyelashes when Jongin blinks. "Pleeeeeease?"

Jongin mumbles a low 'Fine' before reaching into his pocket and pulling out his phone. He hands it to Minseok, who thanks him, without another word.

Unlocking Jongin's (code-less) phone, Minseok blinks when the brunet's music app pops up on the screen; his recently visited app. "Dude, Jongin, I didn't know you liked Elvis," he chuckles before closing out of said app and opening up Safari.

Picking at the slippery, red slice of jelly on his plate, which definitely does not resemble a tomato, Jongin blocks out the sound of Minseok's voice. He remembers just how terrified he had been after opening the gate to his house last night and making his way towards the front door. He fully expected himself to collapse of a heart attack right after walking in the door, since the entire house was blacker than the deepest and darkest black hole, but strangely enough, he didn't, and Jongin has a pretty good idea as to why. 

In fact, the strange feeling in his gut still hasn't fully disappeared, which is why Jongin misses Minseok calling his name for the first time, and the brunet flinches when Minseok jabs him in the arm. "What?!"

"I said," Minseok starts, sipping his water, "Oh Sehun keeps staring at us." He unsubtly points right behind Jongin, the latter swallowing. "You know who he is, right? The famous dude? The captain of the-"

"I know who he is, Seok," Jongin says lowly before swallowing again. The bubbling in his stomach is gone and has been replaced with a sensation of utter agony. Yet, despite that, he finds him unable to keep his back turned, so he slowly turns around and tries to look past the sea of heads before him.

 

---

 

"You should probably do something, fast," Junmyeon says, assorting his salad into neat little piles. "It looks like he's becoming real close with that dude over there," he adds, looking up and keeping his gaze focused on Jongin and some other guy whom he has never seen before. He figures he looks...decent, at least.

Chanyeol nods. "You've only seen them together once, how would you know?" he asks, stuffing an entire patty into his mouth.

"Because, fuzzbrain," Junmyeon scoffs, "the goddamn ice rink is like, right next to our field, are you an idiot? You meant to tell me that you haven't seen Brownie and his little friend even once this entire week? My, my, you're an idiot." He shakes his head in disbelief. "Anyway, I saw Brownie talking to the dude today, they seemed pretty chill."

"So talking automatically equates to being lovers?" Yifan chuckles and puts his hands up when Junmyeon sends him his trademark death glare. "Sorry, sorry, I'm just saying," he mumbles before tending to his fries, which have turned cold.

Sehun sighs from his spot across the table. He hates that he's sitting facing Jongin, because getting an eye full of the latter every time he looks up makes his heart feel like it's being ripped out of his body and tossed into an incinerator. In fact, he even tried asking Junmyeon to switch places with him, to which the latter had (kindly) objected, much to Sehun's annoyance. 

Speaking of which, Junmyeon hasn't seemed to change since their little...ordeal yesterday, and Sehun isn't sure how to feel about that, if he's going to be completely honest. Apart from the fact that Junmyeon seems to be slightly, but only slightly (as in, barely), less on edge than he clearly was two days ago, the latter is still his usual, bitter self, and Sehun briefly wonders if he somehow managed to get under Junmyeon's skin a little too much yesterday while they were discussing the latter's crush on Baekhyun. Sehun doesn't have the guts to ask Junmyeon about it, though, so he figures it's probably best to leave him alone.

Despite the fact that he's gotten, surprisingly, an adequate amount of sleep, Sehun still feels tired, but he doesn't feel like going to bed. As a matter of fact, he's been slightly on edge since he woke up this morning. Jongin, inevitably, hadn't texted nor called him, and Junmyeon's words about the former have been playing on repeat in Sehun's head since he got on the bus four hours ago. 

The thought of simply talking everything out with the brunet both seems and feels so incredibly easy, and Sehun mentally slaps himself for being such a wuss, but then again, he figures it's easy talk on Junmyeon's part because Sehun knows for a fact that walking up to Jongin and trying to get the latter to talk to him will end up being nearly impossible, so he wonders if it's even worth it. It probably isn't, he thinks, but there's something about the honesty in Junmyeon's words that makes Sehun's heart fill with...hope?

Around him, Sehun watches and listens as Yifan, Kyungsoo, Chanyeol and Junmyeon all argue about God knows what, and as much as Sehun wants to engage in whatever they're doing, he can't bring himself to and he doesn't even try to, so he opts to nibbling on the patty of his burger before setting it back down on the tray.

Hearing Chanyeol tease Junmyeon about his 'Everloving crush on Baekhyun' instantly reminds Sehun of his little discussion with Junmyeon last night, and Sehun instinctively gulps. If he's going to be completely honest with himself, he saw it coming, he always had, which probably explains his lack of surprise. And Sehun knows that he should feel terrified and maybe even a little angry at Junmyeon for practically shoving the truth in his face in such a manner, but for some odd reason, Sehun clearly recalls feeling as if a humongous weight had been lifted off his shoulders upon hearing Junmyeon's words. Sehun isn't sure if anybody but Junmyeon know, and he honestly doesn't care. But even so, he still doesn't know what to do, and he knows that Junmyeon has explained it clearly to him, but Sehun has no idea what to do as of right now, and the worry creeping up on him automatically makes his gaze flicker over to Jongin and his friend, whom Sehun has never seen in his entire life. Quite honestly, Sehun doesn't know why he finds him staring at Jongin's table (at which only the brunet and his nameless friend are sitting) whenever he starts feeling uneasy, but he's got a pretty good idea as to why.

Talk it out; Junmyeon's words are pounding against the walls of his head, and have been for hours on end, and Sehun fights the urge to reach up and rub his temples. It's so difficult and he doesn't know why - Jongin is right there, less than twenty feet away; so close, yet so far, and Sehun growls low in his throat when the frustration threatens to make him implode on the inside.

Honestly, Sehun just wants to move on with his life and start a new chapter already, but he can't bring himself to turn the page for reasons he can't explain. For hours, he's tried convincing himself that trying to pry the two pages apart in order to re-write the next chapter would be far more easier than staying on the same page forever and risk never filling it out entirely, but there's a voice at the back of Sehun's head that's telling him to stop.

After a while, the anxiety of wondering whether or not he should make an effort to contact Jongin is some way, shape or form gets the best of him and Sehun finds himself reaching for his phone, while ignoring the five girls next to him who are babbling on and on about God knows what (although if Sehun could take a guess, he'd say they're asking him to prom, which makes his hatred for the event that much stronger). He's about to unlock his phone when he suddenly notices Jongin handing his phone to his friend, whom Sehun decides to call Coffee Bean, since the color of his hair reminds Sehun of said item. Well, that, and because Coffee Bean boy strikes Sehun as somebody who drinks coffee for a living. Either way, Sehun bites his lip before quickly putting his phone back in his pocket, deciding it can wait until later.

"Hi."

Snapping his head up, Sehun blinks when he realizes that the girls from earlier are gone, back at their table, and in their places is none other than Baekhyun. At first, Sehun has absolutely no idea what the redhead is doing at their table, and he's about to ask Baekhyun exactly what he's doing when he remembers. Oh. Right.

"Right, hold on," Sehun mumbles before bending down and pulling out the copy of 'Call of Duty' that he had borrowed from the redhead roughly a week ago, which he honestly would've forgotten even existed hadn't Baekhyun messaged him about it last night, three seconds before he fell asleep.

While Sehun is in the process of rummaging through his bag, Baekhyun presses his lips together and lets his eyes roam over the table. "Hey," he says with one of his trademark grins. 

Yifan looks up from his meal and nods lightly, as polite as ever. "Hello."

"Hi there," Kyungsoo says, waving a fry in the air before eating it in two bites. His eyes suddenly widen a little. "Hey, it's you!" he exclaims way too loudly before his gaze automatically travels to Chanyeol, who blinks. He shoots the latter a rather indiscreet look of 'Come on now!', gesturing to Baekhyun for (unnecessary emphasis).

When Chanyeol remains silent and unmoving, Baekhyun raises a questioning eyebrow. "It's me," he says, a little weirded out, and nods awkwardly. 

"Come on, ," Kyungsoo grits, whacking Chanyeol on the back. Junmyeon only watches with trembling eyes.

"Do what, you idiot," Chanyeol retorts, spitting all over the table, making Yifan flinch. "Don't touch me!" he adds, throwing a fry in Kyungsoo's face.

Baekhyun blinks. "Okay?"

"Sorry, nevermind them," Junmyeon says hurriedly before proceeding to harshly kick both Kyungsoo and Chanyeol in the shins under the table, making them emit loud cries of pain. "They're always like this," he adds with an apologetic look at Baekhyun. 

Grinning, Chanyeol smirks as he rubs the sore spot on his leg. "Well, then, this is perfect," he says lowly and Junmyeon nearly kicks him again. "Ask him, lunkhead!"

Baekhyun raises an eyebrow as he waits for Sehun to find the game. "...Ask me what?" he asks in confusion, gaze darting back and forth between Junmyeon, Kyungsoo and Chanyeol.

Junmyeon visibly stills, much to Chanyeol's amusement. His eyes automatically flicker to the floor as he scratches the back of his ear. "Well...uh."

Sitting up, game in hand, Sehun hands it to Baekhyun with a weak smile, unable to look the latter in the eyes for obvious reasons. He hopes Baekhyun won't question him about it. "Sorry that took so long, it was like, at the very bottom," he says as the redhead takes it. "It was fun," he adds and watches Baekhyun nod before the latter wordlessly walks away and out the door. Now that Sehun thinks about it, Baekhyun doesn't even spare Jongin a glance on his way out.

With a disappointed groan, Chanyeol leans back in his seat. "Myeon, you !" he screeches, slapping a hand on his forehead. 

"What?" Junmyeon squawks, picking up a slice of cucumber with no intentions of eating it. "It...wasn't the right time, that's all," he mumbles, putting it back down.

Kyungsoo blinks. "Huh?" he asks, scratching the back of his head. He points to Chanyeol. "So...you didn't want to ask him, after all or what?"

Chanyeol shakes his head. "Got my sights set on somebody else," he says simply before pointing to Junmyeon. "Myeon, on the other hand-"

"Wait." Kyungsoo puts his hands in the air and nearly slams them down on the table when his eyes widen in what must be realization, Sehun thinks. "Myeon," he starts, staring intently at Junmyeon, who opens his mouth to protest, "are you-"

"Hopelessly in love with Baekhyun the redhead, yes indeed," Chanyeol blurts out and blinks when he waits for a couple of seconds, only to not feel a pair of hands wrapped tightly around his neck. He looks up and raises an eyebrow when he sees the defeated expression on Junmyeon's face.

Kyungsoo blinks, too. "Myeon, what's wrong-"

Junmyeon is silent for a long time before he runs a hand through his hair in exasperation. "It's true," he says quietly, nodding slowly when Kyungsoo's jaw nearly hits the floor. "Yeah."

"First of all, put that surly look back on your face, I can barely even recognize you," Kyungsoo starts and chuckles when Junmyeon sends him a death glare. "And second of all, why do you sound so...depressed?" he adds, popping a fry in his mouth. "Our Myeon's in love, how adorable."

Junmyeon shrugs. "I mean, ...I dunno." He rolls his eyes when he sees the disbelieving looks on Kyungsoo, Yifan, Sehun and Chanyeol's faces. "I mean, God, he probably thinks we're scary and whatnot," he says, voice almost a whine as he picks up his glass and downs the rest of the contents.

"Correction, he thinks you're scary," Chanyeol chuckles. "And well, I don't blame him," he adds and lets out a high-pitched scream when Junmyeon threatens to throw and thus shatter his glass against the taller's face. 

"I am not scary!" Junmyeon exclaims, although it barely sounds like he's believing his own words at this point, much to Sehun's amusement. "I mean...yeah. I'm not," he grumbles.

Sehun shrugs. In his peripheral, he spots Jongin and Coffee Bean standing up, presumably to leave. Half of him hopes that Jongin will turn around and spot him but the other half of him wishes that the latter wouldn't by all means, so Sehun ends up sliding deeper in his seat in fear of Jongin possibly turning around, and Sehun doesn't know if he should feel relieved or disappointed when the brunet doesn't, in fact, turn around at all.

"You literally threatened to stab Sehun's sister with a damn pencil because she wouldn't let him practice with you," Kyungsoo chortles, rightfully earning him a slap in the shoulder from Junmyeon.

Blushing a little, Junmyeon shrugs. "It's not my fault. And that was one time!" he huffs, desperately wanting to change the subject. "Anyway-"

"Just talk to Baekhyun, he'll probably think you're cool," Yifan says calmly, wiping his hands on one of the napkins lying on the table. "Although I say you should probably stop smoking before you do."

Junmyeon scoffs before rolling his eyes. "Sure, Yifan," he says, crossing his arms. "Since it's that frikkin' easy and all. Besides, where'd you run off to yesterday?" he adds, raising an eyebrow.

Yifan shrugs. "Nothing in particular, there was just something I had to do," he says simply.

Rolling his eyes again, Junmyeon nods in disbelief before looking around. "Damn, is it empty in here," he mumbles, mainly to himself. "Did you guys see how many couples there were, by the way? Truly sickening."

Kyungsoo rolls his eyes, clearly uninterested. "Speaking of couples, I wanna know who's caught your eye," he says, nudging Chanyeol, who tenses a little. "Yup, let's hear it."

It's Chanyeol's turn to blush and the latter fidgets with his fork before shrugging as carelessly as he can. "Just, uh, just this guy in one of my classes," he says simply. "Anyway-"

"What's his name?" Kyungsoo pries, leaning in uncomfortably close. Chanyeol instinctively leans away.

Making sure nobody is around, Chanyeol scratches the back of his head. "Jongdae."

"Wow, okay, so like," Kyungsoo huffs, clearly irritated, "everyone in here's got dates except us." He points to himself, Sehun and Yifan. "Isn't that unfair? Jesus. Lucky turds," he adds with a pointed look at Junmyeon and Chanyeol, who both squawk. Sehun thinks it's hilarious to see them both blushing so much.

"He's not my date!" Junmyeon and Chanyeol exclaim at once before the latter focuses his attention back on his food.

"Fine, everyone in here's got crushes except us," Kyungsoo hollers with an eyeroll. "Better?" he asks dramatically and grins when Junmyeon nods. "Anyway, wait, I realized I never asked you two." He leans in and grins at Yifan. "You got your sights set on anybody in particular, mister?"

Yifan swallows his water before he nods slowly, a soft smile creeping up his face. "Yeah, you could say I do," he says simply. "I won't tell you who it is, though, it's a secret," he adds with a dramatic wink before picking up his glass again.

Putting his hands up in defense, Kyungsoo points to Sehun. "You got an apple of your eye?" 

Sehun clears his throat. Honestly, he'd rather talk about anything but...this, right now. Any day. He purposefully avoids Kyungsoo's gaze when he feels Junmyeon staring at him. "...I do, but it's com-"

"It's not fair! What's your secret?" Kyungsoo exclaims, eyes trailing over Yifan, Chanyeol, Sehun and Junmyeon. "How do y'all manage to get dates in like, three seconds while I've been single my entire goddamn life? It's not fair!" he hollers, shaking his head in disbelief before he grins and throws an arm around Yifan's shoulder. "Although I'm not surprised Yifan's managed to find himself somebody to love, since y'know, he's cool." He deliberately squints at Sehun, Chanyeol and Junmyeon, who all squawk in surprise.

"I'm cool! I'm the coolest mofo in the entire goddamn school," Chanyeol says boldly and curses when he moves to stand up in triumph, only to accidentally knock over his tray, which in turn causes all of his fries to tumble into his lap. Junmyeon nearly falls off his seat in laughter.

Sehun checks his phone before standing up. He figures it's probably best they leave before a food fight ends up erupting in the cafeteria. "Math starts in three minutes, we should go," he mumbles. His gaze lingers on the empty seats surrounding the brunet's table.

"," Chanyeol groans. "Whose bright idea was it to put Math fifteen minutes before Tuesday practice, anyway?" he grumbles angrily before also standing up and grabbing his tray. "in' airheads."

"Get your head in the game this time," Junmyeon says, nudging Sehun. "You were far too distracted yesterday, remember the evil eye Coach gave you," he says before picking up his leftovers. "You three can go on ahead, we'll be right there." He nods at Yifan and Kyungsoo, who both nod before turning on their heels.

When Yifan and Kyungsoo are over by the trash cans, Sehun bites his lip. "...What?"

Junmyeon stares at Sehun intently and leans in. "Have you told them yet?" he asks, voice dropping two octaves as his voice becomes a whisper.

Shuddering a little, Sehun swallows before shaking his head. "No, but on the other hand, I'm planning on calling him tonight."

"Really?" Junmyeon asks, raising his eyebrows a little. "Well, we'll see how that goes. Hopefully he'll understand," he adds before patting Sehun's shoulder and jogging to catch up with Yifan and Kyungsoo.

 

~~~