XVI

The Man in the Dark

guys! :) this chapter's guest star:

           Lee Jongsuk

hope you enjoy!

 


 

I was shook by emotions.

Hyungsik and I were sitting leaned against the roof light after we'd adjusted our clothes again. I would had loved to feel his skin against mine for longer, but we were outside and it was quite chilly, after all.
He had his arm around me and his head resting on mine while he softly caressed my arm with his hands. We both had our eyes closed, still flooded by the electrifying experience.

I had never felt something like this up until now.
Sure, I'd been with Seojoon all the time when I'd still dated him, but it couldn't compare.
The dynamic between Hyungsik and me, the sensational feeling I got when he solely touched me, this unexplainable, deep connection between us two - in the end, when I thought about it, I didn't even know Hyungsik well. But there was a strange familiarity, even some kind of bond, that made this feel so right.

I snuggled up to him even closer, putting my head in the curve of his neck. He sighed satisfied and put his other arm around my body. If I could chose, I would never want this to end again.
His body temperature went down again as I knew it about him. Though he was colder than an average person, this iciness from before was definitely not as strong as it'd been. His body, however, was as solid as ever. Not that I was complaining about that.

We stayed like this for a longer while, enjoying each other's company. Then, Hyungsik sighed once more and opened his eyes.
"We should go. It's gonna rain soon", he said while he looked down to me.
"It was not supposed to, though..."
"But it will."

We got up with heavy bones, heading for the door and called for the elevator. We didn't talk, but it was comfortable. I looked over to him, his black shirt a little wrinkled, his hair messy. It looked dashing. He didn't smile, his lips were closed, but he had an overall relaxed, satisfied expression on his face. I could look at this face all the time and still be taken aback by its beauty.
And I just had on a rooftop with this man.

We made our way down and got out on the street. Hopefully, nobody would notice that we'd snuck up there and broken the lock. But then again, it was totally worth it.

"You should come with me", Hyungsik said, took my hand - which gave me a heart attack - and directed to an underground garage.
"To where?"
"To figure something out."

We walked inside the garage and to his car. He was driving a shiny black, seemingly new SUV with beige leather inside and a lot of space for all passengers. I casually slid onto the shotgun seat, weirdly excited about driving in his car with him. Other than that, I was really curious about where we were heading. Maybe now, we would go to some super hidden, top secret headquarters of his, or even to another city or heading for a helicopter ride?
With Hyungsik, I felt like there were no boundaries as to what would happen. He could take me anywhere, something I'd never seen or had even heard of.

He pulled out of the parking spot, out of the garage and then maneuvered us through the city all the way North across the Han.
Going straight to the Gyeongbokgung Palace, I ran out of ideas of where we would go. Was this a sightseeing trip?

He turned left at the palace and immediately right again. From there on, we made our way into the mountains and into the neighborhood of Pyeongchang, right next to the Bukhansan National Park.

I couldn't believe where we were going. I had never visited this area, for the sole reason that as long as you didn't live here, you had pretty much no business. The neighborhood was basically the Beverly Hills of Seoul and was way older than the posh Gangnam district. The area was outstanding; it is right in the city center but almost completely surrounded by hills, so that it felt like an oasis of nature within the metropolis. The houses here had actual backyards, a lot of them were built within traditional European architecture, while others had a very Korean feel to it.

Slowly, Hyungsik drove up the street, then pushed a button on his rear view and then, turned right into an opening garage of a highly modern house.
A little intimidated, I unbuckled the seat belt and waited for Hyungsik to get off first. We hadn't talked at all during the 45 minute ride, but we had been listening to his relaxing deephouse music throughout.

He got up and signalized me to do the same. I got off and followed him into an elevator that would take us to the top floor of the house, which then seemed to be the representative areas.

The front was all windows and swung in wavy structure, where behind them, an in grass covered patio expanded into the nature that laid behind it; with perfect view of the National Park. No sign of a big city anywhere.
Right in front of the edge of the patio, there was a big jacuzzi that also faced the breathtaking view.

The interior of the wide, open space inside was all in white and grey, very minimalistic, sleek and modern. Some of the furniture, like the couch table, where massive and out of light wood, giving the space a more homely feel.

My mouth was wide open. I'd never been in such a nice house, honestly. Hyungsik was slightly enjoying my excitement, his eyes laid on me with a satisfied smirk on his face.

Because of the house and the view, I hadn't noticed that the TV at the other end of the room was and somebody was sitting on the couch watching it. It seemed to be a guy, but he hadn't heard us coming in, either, he just continued to watch a dance show.
Somehow, he seemed familiar...
I thought I was only imagining things and brushed it off, when Hyungsik addressed him.

"Hey, I didn't know you were here", Hyungsik said.
"Yeah, I took the early flight back this m-", the guy answered as he turned around and froze when he saw me. "Hyungsik, what are you doing?"

I knew him. It was a friend from high school, better said, even my classmate Lee Jongsuk. His features were more prominent than ever, he looked exactly how I remembered him. But what was he doing here? And why was there such anger and disbelief on his face while he looked at me?

"Hello Jongsuk", I greeted him, trying to break the ice. He gave back an irritated look and then let his gaze sway back to Hyungsik. He had his hands on his hips, his sleeves of the black shirt were rolled up. He'd gotten a little taller since I'd seen him last, but had remained the skinny, neat figure.

"Can I talk to you for a second", he said, sounding more like a command instead of a question.
Hyungsik sighed and followed Jongsuk into the kitchen.

I was too curious as to what they were talking about, so I silently walked closer to the kitchen and tried to eavesdrop on the conversation. I could even see Hyungsik's face from here, he seemed utterly annoyed.

"Are you out of your mind? To bring her here? Hyungsik, this girl is on your list. She shouldn't even be alive anymore."
"Hear me out, Jongsuk. Something unbelieveable happened, and I need to know what it is. There is this mark on my chest from-"
"I don't care what kind of thing you two have going on, but you need to end it. You're going to be in a lot of trouble. You actually are, already."
"But it's different, see for yourself."

Hyungsik then stripped out of his sweater, the light mark on his chest clearly visible. I couldn't see Jongsuk, but after a few seconds of silence, his hand hesitantly went forward to touch it. When he touched it, he abruptly pulled his hand back.
"What on earth... And how is your skin so warm?"
"Long story."
"I have never seen anything like this. And the girl did that to you?"
"Yes, single-handed. With quite a force, too. See, I think I transferred some of my powers to her somehow."
"But that's impossible, our force is black, not white. And what kind of power would this be?"
"I don't know, but I'm here to find out."

The conversation seemed to be over, so I went back to where we'd gotten into the house before as fast as I could. Just in time, the two men came back. Jongsuk's anger was now overshadowed by his confusion. He looked at me in a strange, even fascinated way, when his eyes stopped at my throat.
Hyungsik walked over to me and gently touched my shoulder.
"Let's go downstairs."

We took steps one floor down, Jongsuk following with a little distance.
Downstairs was a huge library room. The style of the room was the same with wavy panorama windows, but the whole space consisted of glass shelves with books after books. This was like paradise!
My face lit up in excitement and I started strolling through the shelves.

Hyungsik and Jongsuk were looking for something particular, because they went to the same shelf without a word and found what they were looking for a few moments later. They went over to the lounge area that had huge armchairs, a coffee table and a modern, gigantic floor lamp.

I hesitated, but I went over to them both and sat down in one of the chairs. I felt a little lost, to be honest. They were both doing something where I didn't know what it was, yet I was a guest at this house and just needed to wait until they decided they can let me in on their study session.

Hyungsik was reading in a book, but his posture was far from relaxed; he had his elbows on his thighs while leaning forward and his foot tipping in a nervous manner. Jongsuk, in the other chair, was the same.

Just when Hyungsik started focusing on something in the pages, his eyes turned dull, he let the book slip right through his hands without any motion and drew a painful, forced breath. Just like the one on the rooftop where I had hit him.

I started backing off, as this was usually his killer state. But he didn't move at all, he just sat there, staring into nowhere, trying to breathe. It seemed more like he was about to die.
I was unsure what to do. Jongsuk seemed alarmed, but not panicking. And then the confusion vanished from his expression and insight plus concern took place.

"Oh no", he said concisely.
"What happened?", I asked.
"Someone from his list got taken away by someone else."
"Taken away?"
"Yeah, one person from his list is on another's list now. And I strongly believe that that person is you."
"So now, Hyungsik won't kill me anymore?"
"Well, that's the good news. Bad news is, you have another hitman coming after you."