XIII

The Man in the Dark

"You have to elaborate that", I said as he took his hands from my face. He sighed again.
"Do you remember last night?"
"Not much. Why?"
"Sedam, I carried you out the club and sat you down in an alley with no people. You threw up all the alcohol and were choking on it. You almost died. Again."
"But you were there, why didn't you do anything?!"
"There's... things in the world that cannot be explained. Know that it wasn't me who did that."
"Well, who else could it be?"
"You don't understand... You should just let it slide."

I couldn't believe what he said. Adding one more near death to the list and saying that he was the one that put me down there. It enraged me.
Abruptly, I moved away from him and turned my look the other way. I felt like I wanted to cry because of my helplessness, but I just couldn't. Since the sitaution was too difficult to understand, I wasn't even sure what I was supposed to feel. Why did this man get under my skin like he did, while he was basically not objecting to being a mythical creature or someone that wished death upon me. Silmutaneously, a guy of skin and flesh and compassion was sitting next to me on the couch, a guy that was also concerned about what I thought of him. My insight from before was gone, I was as confused as ever.

"Sedam, look at me." His deep voice sounded stern, but not unfriendly.
I turned back to him.
"It's interesting. You seem different than before."
"Why is everyone saying that?"
"You seem more like me in a way."

His mood swings were no joke. From being the worried angel, he transformed into the seductive demon in the blink of an eye.
And what was his deal, anyway? More like him? What was he like? I didn't even know that.

"Give me a break", I said and got up. Since he was occupying the living room, I decided to go to my bedroom.

I let myself fall on the covers and sighed. It was so complicated.
On my nightstand, I had a hand mirror. I reached for it and examined my throat again. The bruises were getting better. Instead of a deep purple, now they looked blue and green, but they still looked shocking. I couldn't say why but I kind of started liking them, too. Maybe I was turning into a psycho.

Another odd thing was how familiar I felt with Hyungsik. Of course, he just told me that he stood there watching me almost choke to death after drinking too much. Not only that, but that also would had been a very pathetic death, to be honest.
But now, this very man was in my house and I just let him to what he wanted to do. As if he was living here.

...As if he was living here. At this thought, I caught myself smiling about it.
This thrilled, excited feeling was back now. Suddenly, I felt the urge to do something crazy again, even though I had no idea what in particular.
I rolled back on my back and sighed. Restlessness was kicking in, when I heard footsteps approaching.
Hyungsik came in and leaned against the door frame, his arms folded and his expression somewhat curious.
I turned to the side, my one hand holding my head, looking back at him. When he saw that I was smiling, he laughed.

"There's something about you", he said and walked towards my bed. Without hesitation, he sat down on the edge.
"Well?", I gave back, locking eyes with him.
"Well. I can't explain it, really."
"As if you ever could explain anything."
"Are you mad?"
"No."

He scooped a little closer so now my fingers could reach him. I started running my fingers across his arm, intrigued by his cold and steel-like skin. He had his eyes laying on me, obviously interested in what my face would show. He chuckled.
I couldn't say why there was this strong attraction to him. Of course, he was handsome as hell - but it almost seemed like a bond. Like something that pulled me in whenever he was around. When it came to men, I was usually more restrictive of myself and it took me a long time to let someone come in my life. When I thought about this now... He was a man that first followed me and stared me down. Someone that had something to do with the ridiculous situations I found myself in lately. Whenever he was around, I was attentive, my amygdala overly sensitive. And then again, I didn't want to let him go. No, even worse - I wanted him closer than anyone.
I had similar feelings when I'd been with Seojoon, but it was not comparable. Especially the really small things, just like today, when Hyungsik had caught up so quickly that I didn't want Seojoon in my house for example.

I was in my inner monologue for a while, but Hyungsik just sat there and had his eyes on me while smiling softly. He had a warm, caring character after all, but some part of him was the opposite. Something scary. I was surprised that he hadn't had an episode of his until now.

Even better for me. I could enjoy his company a little longer then.
I sighed heavily, a little restless and grabbed his arm. He looked down on my hand. Then I pulled, as if to tell him that he should come closer.
Heistantly, he climbed over the sheets and laid down next to me, his head leaned against the front end, his hands folded in his lap.

"Can I ask you something?", I asked calmly.
"Go ahead."
"So, you say it's dangerous to be around you. But then, when you're not there, it's also dangerous. I will not ask anything about myths or creatures or how you know so much about me. But - why is it getting so... personal?"
He thought for a while, before he softly brushed some hair strands out of my face behind my ear.
"It is getting personal, isn't it. This is very new to me, too. But I think I've just really gotten to... like you."
My heart jumped. Did he really just say this?
"But", he continued, "there is always an obstacle. Though when I am around you, it feels like there's something pulling me in - something good."

He drew his breath to go on, when he suddenly tensed up and turned his head into my direction at a dead slow pace. And then it was back, his empty shell, the dull eyes, the lips turning frosty. I backed up instantly.
It lasted for shorter than a second when his human face came back. He shook his head violently.

"I'm sorry", he apologized immediately, his voice unusually strained.
"What is happening with you?!" Now, my fear was back. Like a hammer, this demonstrated me how dangerous he could be. This was the face of someone, something whose scars I was still wearing on my back.
"I should leave. Promise me to stay home. It would be risky to go out today."

He got up and left the room without looking back, I heard the front door fall into the lock a minute later.

And yet again, more questions popped up in my head.
Had this been a revelation by him? Or was he playing games?

I wanted to be mad or angry at him for not telling me anything. For his horrible mood swings or yet another kiss we shared today.
But mostly, I felt disappointed that he was not around anymore.