Tears in his eyes

Memories resemble sea breeze

 

Ryeowook woke up first. He heard a distant sound of music that was louder and louder. He opened his eyes, only to realize that the warm behind him, was no other’s than Changmin’s. The taller man had his one arm around Ryeowook’s shoulder. His head was resting on the sofa’s back. His eyes were closed and face looked peaceful. Ryeowook smiled lightly at the beautiful sight. His heart filled with warmth. He didn’t know why he felt happy seeing Changmin first thing in the morning.

But it didn’t last long. As soon as Ryeowook noticed the car and the driver, his smile disappears. He tensed and stood up, greeting Siwon who parked his car next to Ryeowook’s car.

Ryeowook waited a few second. He prepared his heart that beats painfully at the sign of the other man. His eyes turned to Changmin who was awake already and knowing who just drive in. Just one glance at Ryeowook and Changmin knew the man who was walking towards them was no other than Siwon.

“Ryeowook!” Siwon greeted the shorter man and skipped towards him. Before Ryeowook could react, Siwon wrapped his arm around Ryeowook’s waist and kissed his shortly on the lips. Ryeowook’s world stopped and so Changmin’s heart. Both froze for a while.

“Siwon.” Ryeowook breathed once Siwon let go of him. He didn’t know how to react to him. It was only a few days, but Ryeowook felt like it was weeks, months after they last saw each other. They only looked at each other, don’t know what to say or do.

Siwon was glad to see Ryeowook healthy and in good condition. He was really worried.

That awkward silence was cut by the sound of the closing door. It was Changmin who couldn’t bear seeing Ryeowook with Siwon. He felt like crying seeing the man that capture his heart the first time he lands his eyes on him.

“Changmin?” Ryeoowook turned towards the door. His eyes looked worried and confused. Siwon looked at Ryeowook curiously. After the accident, he doesn’t recall Ryeowook giving so much attention to anything or anyone.

“Who is Changmin?” Siwon asked. Ryeowook looked back at Siwon and sighed.

“He is the owner of this inn.” Ryeowook replied. He wanted to go to Changmin and asked him if everything is alright. He feared that Changmin wasn’t.

“And you call him by a name? You know him?” Siwon asked, now curious than before.

“I met him here. It’s wrong to call him by a name if he is younger?” Ryeowook snapped. He didn’t know why he was getting angry at.

“No…” Siwon looked carefully at the other man.

“Sorry. Let’s just go in. I need to prepare breakfast.” Ryeowook moved towards the inn.

“Prepare breakfast? They don’t serve it here?” Siwon asked, walking behind Ryeowook.

“They do, but the cook is sick so I volunteered.”

“What you did? But you are the guest yourself!”

“But I want to help them. They were nice to me.” Ryeowook said and without waiting for Siwon’s reply, he went towards the main door. Siwon would say much more. He was against Ryeowook’s working here. But then, when he entered the dinning room, and saw how guests and the old man, that Ryeowook told him was Changmin’s grandfather, greeted him warmly, he said nothing. He could clearly see that Ryeowook was treated here warmly and was opened to everyone in this place. It made Siwon happy, but regretful at the same time. With him and his family, Ryeowook never was happy, not after the accident. That accident destroyed everything and Siwon blamed himself for it. He knew they would never be the same anymore.

 

Ryeowook went to the kitchen and Changmin took Siwon to his room. No one was saying anything as they climbed the stairs.

“Ryeowook wanted to give you the room next to his, it’s here.” Changmin said once he opened the door. He gave Siwon the key and was about to go down, when Siwon stopped him.

“You are really close to Ryeowook.” Siwon said once he put his backpack down. Changmin looked tensed and the other man noticed that.

“We easily clicked, being only two young people here.”

“I’m sure it’s not only that.” Siwon accused and Changmin knew what he meant.

“He have you and I know that.”

“He does, but maybe it’s don’t stop you?”

“I don’t take what doesn't belong to me.” Changmin said with clenched teeth. He was getting angry for no reason. He felt that Siwon don’t deserve Ryeowook. Even if Ryeowook told him how good Siwon was, Changmin couldn’t shake the feeling that Siwon was hiding something, wasn’t good for him.

Changmin handed key to Siwon and without saying anything more went down. He wanted to be as far from him as possible. Knowing that he will take Ryeowook from this place, from him, was making him sad.

He went to the kitchen and smiled when he noticed that Ryeowook start without him. Changmin promised himself that he will behave for these few last hours together. He knew tomorrow or day after Ryeowook will be gone from his world. He wanted this last time with him to be happy.

“What you want from me?” Changmin asked as he wore the apron. He went to Ryeowook who smiled at him. Seeing Changmin being easygoing again made him happy.

Soon they started making breakfast. Together in sync, they prepared everything. They laughed and joked together, forgetting that probably it was their last time making breakfast. They forget that they will have to separate, so say goodbye to each other.

The world stopped and they forget about the world. It was blissful oblivion.

 

After the breakfast Ryeowook had no time to spend with Changmin. Siwon took him for a walk immediately. He wanted to talk with Ryoeowook as soon as possible. He wanted to patch everything that was broken between them.

Ryeowook had to agree, even if he felt uneasy.

Talking to Siwon wasn’t easy. They went down the path towards the beach. Ryeowook was still mesmerized by the beauty of nature. He could tell that Siwon too, was impressed.

“It’s really lovely here.” Siwon commented once they reached the sea. Ryeowook wanted to take his shoes off and go to the water. But something deep in his head told him that Siwon would be shocked. That only with Changmin, Ryeowook can be childlike. Siwon would not understand his excitement over the sea and sand under his toes. Only Changmin.

“So what you wanted to tell me?” Ryeowook asked, pushing thoughts of Changmin away. He promised himself to focus on Siwon and sort his feelings for the man. He wanted to know if he still loves Siwon, if he ever did. He needed to see if they still had a chance.

“I want you to come back with me.” Siwon said once Ryeowook faced him.

“Why you want me to come back? Didn’t we broke off?”

“I never broke off with you. We argued, my parents were foolish, but I never thought of leaving you.”

“Why? I’m not the same Ryeowook you once knew. Why you want to stay with me?”

“Because I felt that your place is next to me.”

“Why? Because you love me?”

“You are my fiancé, of course..” Siwon wanted to tell Ryeowook how much he meant to him, but Ryeowook stopped him.

“But what if I don’t love you?” Ryeowook couldn’t see the sincerity in Siwon’s eyes and he didn’t know why. The man always tells how much Ryeowook mean to him. Why he can’t believe him? Siwon told him many times, but why his subconscious mind deny that feeling of affection?

“Why you think like that?” Siwon asked coming closer. Ryeowook’s heart beats rapidly and painful. His palms get sweaty, while his eyes focused only at Siwon. “Why you think you don’t love me? We had a history, but we can have a future with each other as well. Your heart doesn’t flutter when you look at me? Your eyes don’t shine when you see me? Your mind doesn’t think of me at all?” Siwon reached his hand and Ryeowook’s cheek.  Something from the depths of Ryeowook’s heart wanted to escape, but it was painful and before he knew it his eyes shone with tears. “You want to never see me? You want to leave me?” Siwon asked and before Ryeowook could say anything, he shook his head with a no and buried his head in Siwon’s chest, embracing the man.

“Why is that even if I don’t remember, my stupid body remember you? Why I long for you, even if I don’t have memories of you?” Ryeowook shed tears, feeling as if his heart gets pierced my million needles. He thought it was longing. He thought his body told him he missed Siwon. Before he could think further into his feelings, Siwon moved his chin up and kissed him chastely. Ryeowook’s world went blank and he couldn’t think of anything. His heart was beating like crazy, his body froze. He wanted to pull Siwon closer, but at the same time push him away. As if inside him were two people fighting.

“Will you come back with me?” Siwon whispered the question as he hugged Ryewoook.

“I will.” Ryeowook replied quietly. He didn’t notice a single tear running down his cheek. It was salty and painful tear. Ryeowook didn’t even see Changmin who was standing next to the nearest tree. He didn’t hear the man’s heart breaking into million pieces.

 

 

 

 

Changmin couldn’t find a place for himself. After what happen at the beach, Changmin avoided Ryeowook like a plague. He called Sooyoung and get the information that she is almost fine and tomorrow she will come back to work. He told Ryeowook about it, with the calmest voice he could muster. His heart was aching when Ryeowook smiled with relief at him. His lungs lost air when he saw Ryeowook’s hand in Siwon’s. He knew he would never get Ryeowook, but he never thought seeing him with the other would be so painful. He wished for Ryeowook’s happiness, but he couldn’t brush off his feelings for him.

His grandfather noticed that Changmin get gloomy all of a sudden. He knew it was Siwon’s fault. He could tell with a glance that Changmin get attached to Ryeowook. He couldn’t tell what feeling it was, but he knew Changmin was fond of the other man. He doesn’t recall Changmin so smiling and happy before. Ryeowook brighten his life. And Changmin’s grandfather knew his own life was brightened by Ryeowook’s presence. Knowing that Siwon came here to take Ryeowook back, made them realize that nothing in this world was forever.

But the old man was opposed of Changmin. Him, instead of avoiding Ryeowook, he spends more time with him. He helped Ryeowook in the kitchen, preparing the dinner, when Changmin lied that he don’t feel well. It was Changmin’s grandma who talked with Siwon at the dinner. It was him, who joked with Ryeowook, who felt concerned about Changmin’s condition.

“Maybe I should give him something to eat? He didn’t eat anything after the breakfast.” Ryeowook said, once he, Siwon and the old man, sat down in the garden. Siwon looked at Ryeowook with curiosity.

“I’m sure if Changmin get hungry, he will go down. I think he just stays all night yesterday and now get his nap.” Changmin’s grandfather said. He didn’t notice Ryeowook’s blush. It was true that Changmin stayed all night yesterday, with Ryeowook. Now, Ryeowook felt even more concerned. And new feeling of guilt that it was his fault that Changmin wasn’t feeling well, crept into his mind.

“I think I should check on him.” Ryeowook said and was about to stand up when the old man pushed him down.

“Nonsense! You better tell me when you come back.” The man said and both Siwon and Ryeowook looked at him like he grew a second head.

“How you know I’m coming back with Siwon?”

“Isn’t obvious that your boyfriend come here to take you back?” Ryeowook sighed and Siwon frowned his brows at that action. Ryeowook looked like he regrets that he agree to come back with him.

“I’m going back tomorrow morning.” Ryeowook said and felt like something huge laid on his heart. He left heavy and down.

He looked up at the sky that slowly turned gray. The late evening, shows up and so the dark clouds, promising the rain. The weather matched Ryeowook’s mood. As so the sea. It was uneasy and dark, like his heart.

 

 

 

 

 

Ryeowook and Changmin wasn’t able to meet before Ryeowook went to his room. Ryeowook even refused Siwon who wanted to stay with him a bit longer after night came.

Ryeowook wanted to be alone that night and so Changmin. They stay in their room, thinking of one another. They wonder how they will lead their lives after these few days they spend here together.

It was only a few days, few hours and few minutes together, yet they feel like that meeting was life changing. Each time their breath, each time time their hearts beat, everything change, after the first time they looked at each other.

 

 

 

Morning came too quick for Ryeowook and Changmin who barely could sleep. The rain was pouring so heavily whole night, making steady rhythm. Their eyes were open, looking dully at the dark ceiling. Minds wonder,  to memories about each other. The distant sound of the sea never calms their nerves. Once the morning come, they will never see each other again.

Ryeowook knew that he will never see Changmin again. That once, he will drive away with Siwon to their town, he will never come back to this inn. He felt like these few days were like a dream, like a place in the children’s books, that once you exit the place, you can never come back. Like a good dream that you finally have to wake up from. And meeting Changmin was one of the best dream he ever had.

He hoped that he will not forget that dream.

Leaving the inn and people behind was painful for Ryowook. He packed his luggage in the slowest motion. He dragged everything as much as he could. He hoped that he would see Changmin at the breakfast. But who greeted him in the kitchen in the morning was not Changmin but Sooyoung. He felt disappointed. Changmin didn’t show up at all in the morning.

When everything was settled and Ryeowook said goodbye to the old man and Sooyoung, Ryeowook knocked the closed door of Changmin’s bedroom, but no one answered him.

“I’m going back.” Ryeowook said to whom he hoped was Changmin behind the door. He hoped he was still in his room. He didn’t see the tall man anywhere else. He wanted to say goodbye to Changmin. He wanted to see him for the last time and engrave his face in his heart, but seeing the cold, unmoved and closed door of Changmin’s bedroom made him unable to see Changmin for the last time.

With heavy head, he went down to meet with Siwon and the rest that were waiting for him.

The rain was pouring,  as if it mourn with Ryeowook who had to leave this place. But Ryeowook knew he had to move with his life. He needed to settle his life and move on from the past he can’t remember and learn how to remember each new day ached of him.

He opened his umbrella and stepped into the rain. Changmin’s grandfather and Sooyoung looked at Ryeowook as he joined Siwon.

“Thank you for everything. I will never forget this place.” Ryeowook promised and he knew he was right. Not even an accident can erase the time and people he meets here.

“Have a safe drive back home.” Sooyoung and old man wished for Siwon and Ryeowook. They said their goodbyes to each other again. Ryeowook looked up at the inn for the last time. He tried to remember the place, how it looked. Then, he turned around. Him and Siwon agreed that both will go back with Siwon’s car, while one of Siwon’s friends come back to pick Ryeowook’s car some other day. Ryeowook was glad for it. He didn’t feel like driving in the state he felt right then. His mind was too clouded with a feeling of separation.

“Wait!” Ryeowook heard someone shouted, just when he was almost next to Siwon’s car. He turned around, only to see a glimpse of Changmin’s face, while the man crashed himself on Ryeowook and embraced him hard. The umbrella fell as both of them get wet from the rain as they hugged for the first and last time.

“Please never forget this place, but mostly never forget about me.” Changmin whispered towards Ryeowook’s ear and he snuggled his head deeper into Ryoeowook’s body. “Never forget about me, because I will always remember you, all my life.” Changmin said and when Ryeowook whispered the reply, assuring him that nothing can make him forget about Changmin, he let go of the shorter man.

“Goodbye Changmin.” Ryeowook said with a forced smile as their hands slipped, brushed one another as they separated.

“Farewell Ryeowook.” Changmin said, giving Ryeowook a sad smile in return. The man noticed tears in Changmin’s eyes and he was sure it wasn’t the rain. But before he could ask, Changmin mumbled that he has to go and ran back to the inn.

With heavy heart and watery eyes, Ryeowook enter Siwon’s car and drove away.

They passed the sea that was hitting the shore without mercy. The sea was dark and scary, like the future that was ahead of Ryeowook. His world was shadowed by the unknown, and even Siwon bright smile couldn’t cast away the gloominess in Ryeowook’s eyes.

No one can calm the storm in Ryeowook’s heart. No one, except one person. The person that Ryeowook left behind in the place full of sand and salt water. The place that resembles him much more that he thought it would. The sea full of memories.

 

 

 

 

A/N: Sorry for long wait. I was so busy with life, but for that I gave you all longer chapter. Let's all cry over ChangWook separation TT