Cold sea, warm hand

Memories resemble sea breeze

It was passed midnight and Ryeowook couldn’t sleep. He toss and turn in his bed. He couldn’t calm down. He was anxious of meeting Siwon. He was anxious that he and Changmin will not get back to good terms.

Finally, tired of not able to fall asleep, Ryeowook sat up on the bed. He looked outside and saw that the rain stopped falling. He wore a thick sweater and shoes, then exit his room and the inn.

The night outside the city was darker, but more magical. There weren’t any lamps to light his path as he went down, to the beach. Only the moon that would appear from time to time behind the clouds would shine. In the city, Ryeowook barely saw stars. Here, despite of big amount of clouds in the sky, he could see those glowing dots, twinkling in the black sky.

He was almost at the beach when he noticed a dark figure siting not so far from the sea. Few steps more towards that person, Ryeowook noticed it was Changmin. He wondered why the other man wasn’t sleeping.  He thought of coming back to his room, but he had to settle things with Changmin. He couldn’t bear the fact that they were so distant.

“Why you are not sleeping?” Ryeowook asked. Changmin looked up at him, shocked to see him.

“I could ask you the same thing.” He replied. His words weren’t distant. Giving Ryeowook hope that maybe they are not on bad terms as he thought they were. When Changmin didn’t say anything more, Ryeowook thought he could sit down. He did so, leaving a small gap between them.

Silence occurred as both looked at the sea and the nigh sky. The moon was shining on the water surface, making a glowing path and blurry reflection of the orb.

“Night sky is much more beautiful outside the city.” Ryeowook said and Changmin nodded his head.

“I agree. You probably can’t see the stars much in the city right?” Changmin asked.

“No, I can’t. The city light hides them. It’s a pity, they are so beautiful.” Ryeowook looked up at the stars. He thought that the stars are the things you love and take for granted. The city lights are the ones who hide them. It’s similar to the times when life is too boring, not excited, you take everything for granted. Even on dull days, you spend time with people you love and loves you. Your eyes are blind to sweetest of the nature and sparkles of life that you take for granted. You can’t see them, unless you lost them.

“They are one of the most beautiful things in the world. Each one shine differently and each one is in a different place in the world.” Changmin said with a small smile. Ryeowook looked at him. He was so relaxed, and he, too, felt as easy next to the taller man.

“Like people.”

“Like people.” Changmin copied his words and looked at Ryeowook with a smile. Ryeowook’s heart swell when he saw that smile. It looked cheerful, but Ryeowook could see a small tension at the corners, as if Changmin force it. His eyes weren’t sparkling and Ryeowook wished to see the reflection of stars in Changmin’s eyes. He wanted to see them shine like usual.

Silent occurred once Changmin looked down at his hands. He started to play with wet sand. And both started to feel their pants got wet from it as well. Yet, no one moved, feeling that once they do, something will snap and that moment will end. They didn’t wish it to end.

“Your fiancé will be here tomorrow.” Ryeowook could feel a small bitterness in Changmin’s voice. He wondered why.

“Yeah, in the morning.”

“Then you should go to sleep.” Changmin said and before he could bite his tongue, he added: “Is he taking you home?”

“I don’t know, probably.” Ryeowook looked a bit taken aback by Changmin question. He gazed at the other, witnessing his bitter face, before he turned around and hide it before Ryeowook. “We have a fight before I came here.” Ryeowook said and he too stated playing with the sand.  Didn’t know why he was telling Changmin that.

“Fight? Why?” Changmin asked, curiously looking at Ryeowook, then bite his lip as he realized he shouldn’t ask Ryeowook that. “No, I mean, you don’t have to tell me. We just met and…”

“He is the person I forget. I forget about him, his parents and my life with him.” Ryeowook cut Changmin. For some reason he wanted Changmin to know.

“Because of your accident?”

“Yes.”

“Then I shouldn’t tell you it’s ok to forget. He loves you, right? It hurt him that you forget about your love.” Changmin felt regretful, but Ryeowook shook his head.

“It’s good that you told me. I could think of it from another perspective. Maybe my love for him wasn’t that strong? Maybe us being together wasn’t meant to be, that’s why I forget?” Changmin looked at Ryeowook. His eyes were sparkling with something that Ryeowook couldn’t pinpoint.

“But he still loves you, right?”

“Maybe… probably. Who knows? I can’t tell it anymore.” Ryeowook bitterly said, as he started playing with his fingers. Something deep down, inside him ached painfully as he thought that Siwon may not love him anymore. “Our memories, I forget about them. I can’t even remember how it was, being loved and in love with him. But once he looks at me, I feel like crying.” As he said his last words, Ryeowook’s eyes started to glister from tears.

“Cry? Why? Because of guilt that you don’t love him?”

“Probably, maybe, I don’t know. I want to say to him that I’m sorry, but on the other hand, I want to punch him as well. I feel so bad about it because he really took care of me after the accident.” Ryeowook’s tears fell and before he reached to wipe them, Changmin’s hands were on Ryeowook’s cheeks, wiping the wet, salty water with his thumbs. Ryeowook looked up at the other man. He was little shocked, seeing Changmin looking at him with such a sadness. 

“Don’t feel guilty. Everything is for a reason, remember?” Changmin said quietly. His palms were still on Ryeowook’s cheeks, them lightly. Ryeowook noticed that the other man looked at his lips, and his own eyes shifted to look at Changmin’s mouth. Something deep inside him froze. His heart beat rapidly in his chest. He felt like the world stopped and the night went completely dark. He could see only Changmin’s face and his lips. His mind went blank as he leaned closer, closing his eyes. The other done the same. And just before their lips met Changmin breathed out:

“You want to go swimming?” Ryeowook opened his eyes only to see Changmin’s crystal clear eyes and a small smile on his lips. Ryeowook didn’t know how to react, but once again Changmin decided instead of him. He grabbed Ryeowook’s hand, joined their hands together and pulled both of them up, towards the sea. Ryeowook felt the warm emit from Changmin’s hand. He left warm all over his body. He wanted to pull the other and kiss him. He wondered why he wanted to do so, deep inside, he do, but he pushed that thought deep inside his heart.

“Sea is even more cold now!” Ryeowook protested as he saw Changmin taking off his shoes. Ryeowook took his shoes off as well, feeling as his feet freeze from the cold.

“Then only our legs. You don’t know when you will visit the seashore again.” Changmin said, letting go of Ryeowook’s hand and rolled his pants up. Ryeowook slowly done the same, all this time looking curiously at Changmin. He noticed that behind the forced smile, Changmin was actually sad. He, too, knew that he will have to leave this place. Even if he gets attached to this place, to people here, but mostly to Changmin. He wanted to tell Changmin that he will visit him, maybe with Siwon one day, but he stopped himself. Somehow, saying that he will see Changmin with Siwon didn’t sound good. He would prefer to see Changmin alone. To be with the other man alone. He couldn’t even picture, leaving Changmin behind.

The sand under their feet was cold, but bearable. Ryeowook went a bit closer to the sea and was about to wet his toes, but chicken out and run away.

“Why are you running away? Come here!” Changmin called, running to him. He grabs Ryeowook’s hands and with him closer to the sea. “It can’t be as cold.”

“You never get into the water at this time and weather?” Ryeowook asked with panic in his voice. Changmin smiled at him sheepishly.

“Nope.” And he pulled them both towards the water. Once his legs get into the water, Ryeowook felt like his heart would come out, so much it was beating. He barely could feel his legs, yet, felt every nerve of it as they get deeper. His jaw clenched and he halted Changmin who wanted to go deeper.

“What?” Changmin asked. He too felt the cold, but once he saw Ryeowook’s huge eyes and all tensed, he couldn’t stop and laughed loudly at him.

“Don’t laugh! It’s so cold!” Ryeowook scolded the other but his smile betrayed him. He looked at Changmin laughing. His mind memories each curve of that lips, each showed tooth and mismatched eyes that sparkled playfully as he looked amused at Changmin. Ryeowook let go of Changmin’s hand and reached to gather some water. He splashed it on Changmin. The taller man squeaked shocked. The water was freezing cold.

“What was that for?” Changmin asked and instead of waiting for the reply, he started to splash water at Ryeowook. They screamed from the coldness of water on their skins, but no one thought of stopping the water fight. That action made them forget about the coldness. Yet, soon both were so soaked that even playing in the water started to be uncomfortable.

Freezing cold they agreed to come back to the inn. Ryeowook didn’t want that night to end. He wanted to spend more time with Changmin. Once they reached the inn, Ryeowook halted Changmin, before their entered the place.

“What?” Changmin asked as he turned to Ryeowook.

“Can we stay here a bit longer?” Ryeowook looked hopefully at the taller man and Changmin barely could stop himself not to kiss him. On the beach he would do kiss Ryeowook, if he didn’t suddenly remember that he have a fiancé. He doesn’t wish to be the third party, or the breaker. If Ryeowook and Siwon loved each other, he will not break them. Even if he knew he will never be able to forget Ryeowook. He will never be comfortable and in peace with anyone than him. This few days make Changmin fell in love with Ryeowook.

“Yes, if you wish for it. Let me just bring us some blankets and warm tea” Changmin said and went inside quickly. Ryeowook looked at the scenery. The night was still dark. It could be around middle of the night. Everything was so quiet and peaceful.

Soon Changmin come back with blankets for both of them. He even changed his clothes and handed Ryeowook some dry ones too.

“Change into it.” He said and get back inside to bring them teas. Ryeowook change into dry clothes and once Changmin was back, Ryeowook was already covered from head to toe inside the blanket, like a small burrito. Changmin smiled at the cute side of always looking serious man. His eyes looked softly at Ryeowook who looked at the scenery before him.

“It’s 3.30 in the morning already. Soon there will be a sunrise.” Changmin said when Ryeowook sat next to him. Both sip their teas, warming their bodies and said nothing. They stay in that comfortable silence, looking, as the sky before them change colors, from gray to purple, orange and then yellow. The sun rise above the horizon as they sit next to each other in this serene calmness. They didn’t move even an inch, fearing that once they do, the memory, the place will vanish.

The nature was waking up, while both men slowly drift to sleep. Ryeowook’s head rested on Changmin’s chest. The taller man looked at the shorter a bit longer. His heart filled will happiness as he tried to memorize each detail. It will be a memory he will cherish for al ong time. His heart ached as well, knowing it will be the last one with Ryeowook. And with that in mind, his eyes closed and he too drifted to the dream world.