Memories and hidden feelings

Memories resemble sea breeze

 

Next day Ryeowook woke up much earlier than usual. He looked outside and saw the sun shining brightly. The birds outside chirped happily and he couldn’t not to smile. He dressed up quickly and go down. He was surprised that he was the only one in the dinning room except Changmin’s grandfather.

“Where is everyone? Did I wake up too soon?” He asked confused. He sat down next to the man.

“Sooyoung got sick so we can’t make food for people. Most of them went out to eat, some even checked out of the inn.” The old man replied sadly.

“She is the one who can cook? No one can do it instead of her?”

“There is an owner of the restaurant few kilometers away from here. She usually helped us, but she went to see her kids in another town, so we are left with no help. I’m too old to cook. I can only do simple task, like scrambled eggs or coffee.”

“What about Changmin?”

“He can only know how to burn things.” The man joked and Ryeowook smiled at the joke. For a minute they were silent. Ryeowook knew how to cook. It was the one of the few things he could remember after the accident. But it would be ok for him to do it? He was staying here anyway with or without the provide of food. He was a guest, they were strangers to him, but he wanted to help them. Here, he left so at peace and Changmin’s words helped him as well. He never felt so light and free, not like after the accident. He felt the only burden, but everything changed here.

“Let me help. I know how to cook.” Ryeowook said with new spirit.

“You can’t! You are the guest!” The old man protested. His raised voice made Changmin who was in the kitchen trying to make coffee, to come out.

“I want to. Let me cook.” Ryeowook said and stood up. Before the old man could protest more, he passed him and Changmin, who entered the room.

Ryeowook went to the kitchen and wear the apron that usually Sooyoung was wearing. He washed his hands and looked around. Thinking of what to make.

“You don’t have to do this.” Changmin said from the door’s frame.

“But I want to.” Ryeowook said as he was chopping some meat.

“Why?” Changmin asked and Ryeowook stopped doing his task. He turned around and faced the other man.

“I want to thank you from yesterday.”

“I did nothing much yesterday.”

“You did much more than you think.” Ryeowook came to Changmin in one quick move. He grabbed his arms with his hands, making the taller man lock their eyes. “You don’t even know how much you helped me. I want to thank you for that.” Ryeowook smiled at the other man and Changmin couldn’t not smile shyly as the reply.

“It was nothing.”

“You are so wise Changmin. You make me think that I’m not to blame. It’s not my fault that I forget. That losing memory isn’t a bad thing. That I can start a new.” Changmin didn’t know how to reply to this. Seeing Ryeowook’s shining eyes, so happy and hopeful. He couldn’t say anything, only look at him. Feeling his own heart to fill with warmth.

“Can I help you at least?” He asked and Ryeowook nodded happily. He let go of Changmin and went to grab the other apron that was in the kitchen too. He threw it towards Changmin to catch it.

“But make sure you only help. I hope you don’t burn the kitchen.” Ryeowook said and both started to make the breakfast.

 

In Changmin and his grandfather shock, Changmin didn’t burn the kitchen. He actually helped Ryeowook greatly. He mixes and chopped things he was asked to. The breakfast was a success and the people who were still in the inn were really happy about the food. It tasted really good and Ryeowook get lots of praises for it. But the biggest praise was when he comes back to the kitchen and saw Changmin devour the food. He was so engrossed in eating that he didn’t notice Ryeowook at first. But when he did, he choked on the food. Ryeowook quickly rushed and handed him a glass of water.

Changmin drank and swallowed. He thanked the shorted male and praise his food:

“I don’t know, maybe I get used to Sooyoung’s food or not. I must say you cook even better than her.”

“Thank you.” Ryeowook grinned at Changmin. He doesn’t know how and when it happens, but he felt so comfortable and easygoing here, with Changmin. He left like in home. He wondered how it was before the accident. Does he feel like that with Siwon?

 

 

After the breakfast Ryeowook thought it would be good to go for a run. He changed his clothes and exit the inn. He had the urge to ask Changmin if he wants to join him. Yet, he thought the other have his life. He doesn’t need to entertain Ryeowook all the time. He doesn’t have to accompany Ryeowook. And as well, Ryeowook wanted some time alone.

He ran down the path. When he reached his car, he opened the door and took his phone that he left there. He wanted to listen to some music while running. He unlocked the phone and wear earphones. He was about to play some music, when he got hundreds of notification. Most of them were from Siwon. Some from his secretary and other people:

Where are you? I’m worried, call me. - Siwon

We need to talk. I want to explain. It’s not like you think it is. - Siwon

Please tell me you are safe. - Siwon

Everything is fine sir. Enjoy your vacation. - Kyuhyun

Please call me or write to me. I need to know if you are safe. – Siwon

Ryeowook sighed, reading some of the few messages. He switched his phone off and traveled far away, not telling anyone about it. He knew Siwon was worried. Siwon wasn’t a heartless man, but Ryeowook didn’t feel like seeing him now. He knew he had to meet with Siwon, listen to him explain about his and his family behavior, but not now.

He thought of switching off his phone again, but he doesn’t want to worry Siwon further. With heavy heart, he dialed his fiancé, or ex fiancé number and waited as he pick up. Only one signal and Siwon was already picked his phone:

“Ryeowook?!” Siwon’s sounded worried. Ryeowook didn’t know, but tears gathered in his eyes. Deep down, he missed Siwon’s voice and him.

“It’s me.” Ryeowook replied.

“Where are you? Are you ok? Are you safe?”

“I am ok Siwon. I Just needed some space that’s all.”

“You could tell me. I was so worried about you. I called you so many times, but you didn’t pick up your phone.”

“I needed time to think about me and us.” Ryeowook explained and Siwon was silent for a few seconds.

“Ryeowook I’m so sorry for what my parents told you. It’s not like that, I swear. I didn’t know they had such a plan towards me. You know I love my job…”

“The problem is I don’t know. I don’t remember.” Ryeowook bitterly said as he went down the path, going more into the forest.

“But you will eventually remember. Don’t worry, it’s ok.” Siwon said, his voice was sad and pleading.

“What if I don’t remember?” Tears fell as Ryewook said it. He once again felt sad about the fact he doesn’t remember anything yet. Maybe he will never remember.

“Then you will not remember and we will start anew. Don’t think of if Ryeowook. Just tell me where you are and I will pick you up.”

“What if I will not love you again?” Ryeowook asked and for a while Siwon didn’t reply him. He knew that was weird that he didn’t feel any attachment towards Siwon. Siwon was a dream guy. He was good for him, but deep inside Ryeowook felt that wasn’t right. Being together is not right. That they don’t love each other, even if Siwon declared it a lot. He could feel it, could sense it.

“Just tell me where you are. Please Ryeowook.” Siwon pleaded and Ryeowook couldn’t resist him. His heart panged painfully. Something deep inside him was weak when Siwon calls his name. So he told him where he is. Siwon informed him he will be there next day at morning and with saying goodbye, they ended the call.

Ryeowook once again felt his heart heavy. His tears dried already, but his anxious not. He was worried what will happen once they met. Deep inside, he wanted to see Siwon, even if he know meting him will not be good for him.

He needed to think. He needed time alone, to think of how he will face Siwon.

 

 

 

He started running down the path and soon he reached the asphalt road. He looked at his right and saw the sea down below. The sound of the waves calmed him a little and the quiet music he played in his earphones.

 

After an hour of running and walking, Ryeowook reached the restaurant he visited the first day he came here. The restaurant was closed, but he could sat down in one of the wooden chairs outside.

He sat there for half an hour thinking of Siwon and himself. He wonder if it had meaning to stay with the person if you don’t love it. He wonder if he liked, loved Siwon. He knew he was weak towards the man. He liked being next to him. These past weeks after the accident, Siwon was really good to him, despite his pushing about his memory loss. Ryeowook could forgive him if he didn’t know about his parent’s plans, but it would be enough? Enough for Ryeowook to stay with Siwon?

His thoughts were interrupted when a tall figure interrupted him. Changmin covered the sea scenery at what Ryeowook was looking at.

“You went running? You could tell me. I wanted to go as well.” Changmin said and it hit Ryeowook how easy going they were with each other. They met a few days ago and already acted like good friends. As if they were meant to meet and be friends.

“I needed some time alone.” Ryeowook said as he looked up at Changmin.

“Then, maybe I should go?” Changmin’s face looked a bit gloomy. Ryeowook shook his head.

“No, please stay.” When he said that Changmin smiled cheerfully at him. Ryeowook’s heart skipped a beat, feeling a weird fluffy feeling deep inside. He wonders why he liked Changmin’s smile so much.

Changmin sat down next to him, really close. Their arms almost touched, but none of them moved away. Taller man said nothing and with Ryeowook, he looked at the sea before them.

“You can speak you know.” Ryeowook said and glanced at Changmin for a minute. He smiled when the other jumped in his seat, coming back to his senses.

“I know, but I have nothing to say now.” Changmin looked at Ryeowook. His eyes looked concerned and Ryeowook felt hurt. Hurt because he doesn’t want Changmin to feel concerned about him. He doesn’t want to worry him.

“I like it here.” Ryeowook said, trying to lift their spirits.

“You like the sea?”

“I love it. I love the sound of waves. The feeling of sand under my feet and …

“…sea breeze.” Both said the last words and chuckled how similar they felt.

“Yes, a place like this looks like a piece of heaven.” Changmin said and closed his eyes. He took a deep breath and exhaled. “I’m glad I can see it every day. To think, I could lose it..”

“What you mean?” Ryeowook asked, making Changmin look at him. He wondered if he should tell Ryeowook about the memory, he too would like to forget. Everyone has memories like this.

“The place you stay, that inn was once my grandfather’s house. I grew up till ten in that house. He builds it with his own hands and with the help of my grandmother. He was a fisherman. When I moved out with my parents, we didn’t know how ruined this place would become. My parents moved to the other country and we almost lose contact with my grandparents. We didn’t know that my grandfather was few times in the hospital. He has a weak lung and had pneumonia when he was younger. His health wasn’t good for a while. But we thought he maintained the house properly. He acted strong and full of life. When my grandmother died, grandfather didn’t show any grief, but I once saw him shedding a few tears as he looked at her picture. I know he misses her, but that time, the wound of parting with the love of your life was deep. Yet my parents still thought he would be ok alone. He looked strong and hide his health condition from us. When I graduated, I went to visit him. You don’t know how shocked I was to see the building that once was like the ones you see in real estate catalogues, being almost ruined. The building was falling down and my grandfather was almost dying. He was sick that time when I visited and had high fever, but refused to go see the doctor. I think that time he wanted to be together, again with my grandmother. He wanted to be with her. Anyway, I took him to the hospital immediately and they treated him. But it wasn’t enough. When we were gone, some man threatening my grandfather to sell the land to him. He used bad tricks and he signed the papers. When I heard about it, I was furious. But I was devastated once I get the paper of demolition of the building I grew up in as a child. …”

“That bonfire. I remember you were burning that paper.” Ryeowook added and Changmin nodded.

“Yeah. I had to pay for lawyers and with police help, they eventually made that man go to jail. Lucky he will not get out for a long time. One day I will probably have to face him, but my grandfather will be in heaven already and I will take his place as an old man in this inn. After that we get back our land and my grandfather was not sick anymore. We only needed to renovate the building. With my parents help and money I could eventually make that building look like it use to be. I made it into the inn and we have it for three years now.”

“So it was almost recent. Fresh wound.” Ryeowook commented. He didn’t know what to say more. He was speechless that Changmin for such a young age done such an amazing thing. He struggled so much.

“Yes, that’s why I said that it’s ok to forget about things. Maybe your past wasn’t important enough, or was too sad and painful for you to bear that’s why you forget. Maybe you should focus more on the present and right now, aren’t they most important?” Changmin said with a gentle smile and Ryeowook once again felt like his heart lifted. How it was possible that Changmin could make him feel so at ease?

“Past is important and so memories, but you can live without them, I think I can. But like you said, right now is the most important. Thank you.” Ryeowook smiled at the other and saw how Changmin’s eyes widen and got brighter as he looked at him. “How is that you can always lift my spirit when I most needed it? Maybe it was a destiny to meet you here when I needed someone like you the most?”

“Maybe it was fate to meet you? I don’t mind even if you forget me once you come back.” Changmin stood up suddenly. These words hit Ryeowook. Making him realize he will eventually have to come back.  He will have to leave Changmin and the inn. It made him sad all of a sudden. 

“I will remember you!” Ryeowook protested, making Changmin smile sadly at him. He didn’t know why he suddenly talked about parting and why Changmin looked so sad. He couldn’t image his life without remembering this place and him. Was he like that with Siwon? No, with Changmin and remembering him it was different. He would never forget him and even if he would, he would remember him right away, once again. Ryeowook didn’t even realize how deep Changmin was in his heart. How deep he engraved himself there and what that mean. But Ryeowook would never forget, not him. “No accident can make me forget about you.” That declaration made Ryeowook blush and to Changmin to widen his eyes from disbelieve. He didn’t expect Ryeowook so say such words. His heart was beating frantically and his skin heated up at the mere thought that the other man could possibly… “I want to stay friends with you even when I come back I will visit you and your grandfather.”

“Friends?” Changmin laughed suddenly, masking his shock and disappointment. “You speak so big even if we just met a few days ago.” He bites his tongue. He knew he hurt Ryeowook by these words, but he couldn’t help himself. For the first time they met, Changmin was attracted to Ryeowook and to stay only as his friend, Changmin didn’t want it. It was too litlte for him.

“I’m not speak…”

“Let’s just go back. Storm is coming.” Changmin said, cutting Ryeowook’s words. Both looked at the sky that turned suddenly dark and gloomy. It mimicked the feelings inside Ryeowook and Changmin.

They come back without a word to the inn. Ryeowook closed himself in his room and didn’t come down till dinner.

At dinner time Changmin helped Ryeowook preparing the dinner. They barely speak to each other. Everyone could feel the tension between them. Changmin’s grandfather asked his grandson what happened, but the man said it’s nothing.

They ate their dinner in silence. Changmin sat a bit far from Ryeowook and the old man. Changmin’s grandpa wanted to ask Ryeowook what was going on, but he felt he would get the same reply.

After the dinner Ryeowook approached Changmin who was working on the bills and inn’s papers. His bit long hair fell, covering his eyes. They would touch Changmin’s nose, making it itch. He would then wrinkle his nose and Ryeowook couldn’t stop thinking he looked adorable then.

“I want to reserve second room.” Ryeowook said when he reached Changmin. The taller man looked up at him with questioning eyes. “My fiancé is coming to see me. I want to reserve a room for him.” These words were like a bomb for Changmin. He didn’t expect it. He didn’t know Ryeowook had a boyfriend, a fiancé on top of that. He was about to get married.

“Y-yes.. of course.. yes..” Changmin stutter still shocked. Now, how he can approach Ryeowook, knowing about it? His growing feeling towards the man and the fact he can’t even dream of him, made Changmin feel crushed. He looked down, hiding his teary eyes. “The room will be ready.” Changmin tried his best to sound unmoved. Ryeowook looked at him curious. He wanted to know why he sounded so different, as if sad.

“Please do.” Ryeowook said and turned around. He wanted to know what Changmin felt once he told him about Siwon. He wanted to know if he was sad, curious and shocked. He wanted to know if Ryeowook, not being single, affected him.

Ryeowook bite his lip, suppressing the urge to ask directly. He was irked to know. To know if Changmin even think of him at all. Why he wanted to know, Ryeowook wasn’t sure, but deep inside some small voice was whispering him feeling he thought he should have for Siwon.

 

A/N: dum dum dum!!! Changmin have some feelings for Ryeowook :D