Bonfire

Memories resemble sea breeze

 

 

When the dinner time came, Changmin went to the kitchen to prepare the food. Actually heat the beef soup Sooyoung left them. That day, Ryeowook noticed, only he and old couple was left in the inn. Other guests traveled somewhere.

At the dinner, Ryeowook again sat with Changmin’s grandpa. Changmin, sat next to the window, eating his food in silence. Ryeowook wondered why he didn’t join them, but maybe Changmin wanted some quiet time? Ryeowook too, came here to have a quiet time. To sort everything and forget or remember about himself.

 

After the dinner Ryeowook thought it would be nice to go and read the book in the garden.

As he sat down with the book he found in the inn’s living room, Ryeowook sighed contented. He heard birds chirping in the distance, trees and bushes moving with the wind. He could even hear a faint sound of the waves in the distance. If only he could stay here and live in the city at the same time, Ryeowook thought and started reading with a small smile.

 

Ryeowook woke up suddenly, smelling barely the burning scent. He sat up, didn’t even remembering when he fell asleep. The small blanket slip from his shoulders. He doesn’t remember having a blanket with himself. Maybe someone put it on him? He moved around and noticed a light behind the bower’s walls. He shifted and from the bower’s open he saw the bonfire. Next to it, on the long trunk, was sitting Changmin. He was burning the wood and some papers.

Changmin’ face was glowing from the fire. His face was expressionless, but eyes looked a bit sad, even if the fire was reflected the bonfire’ light. He was playing with the stick, bring the tip of it in the fire.

Ryeowook didn’t know if he should stop whatever Changmin was doing. The taller man looked deep in his thoughts. Ryeowook felt cold and wanted to go home, but it meant he had to pass next to Changmin and he didn’t want it. Somehow, seeing Changmin like that, made Ryeowook wonder if Changmin too had some worries like him? Ryeowook knew every person have secrets, but he wanted to think Changmin’s worries were similar to his.

Ryeowook didn’t notice the book, that slipped from his laps and hit the floor with the thud. Changmin woke up from his thoughts thanks to it. He looked at the source and noticed Ryeowook looking at him.

Their eyes met briefly, and Ryeowook saw the remains of sadness in his eyes, that turned to neutral ones.

“You are hungry? I’m baking some potatoes as I burn some documents.” Changmin asked and turned back to the bonfire. No one could tell Ryeowook twice, in a few seconds he was next to Changmin, looking at the bonfire with the taller man. He felt warmer and cozy. “They are half done already.” Changmin said and moved, giving Ryewoook space to to sit on. Ryeowook did and just like Changmin, he grabbed some stick and started playing with it in the fire.

His stick gets stuck and he tried to pull it back. He moved the stick up and the part of  Changmin’s burning documents fly above, landing next to Ryeowook’s shoes. He only read ‘documents of demolition’ before Changmin snatched it suddenly and threw into the fire. The paper burns down immediately.

Ryeowook bite his lip. He felt like he saw something he shouldn’t. He didn’t even dare to look at Chagnming to see if he was angry or not. But he invited him here. It could happen. If Changmin didn’t want Ryeowook to not see he would say nothing.

“Do you think life can be so exhausted that you want to just get burned?” Ryeowook asked suddenly. His eyes never leave the fire. His stick moved and poke the potatoes further into the center of the bonfire. Looking at the fire made him remember the exhaustion of not remembering about himself. About Siwon and his parents. About everything he doesn’t understand. He was so tired, so drained emotionally.

Changmin looked at Ryeowook. His eyes searching for some explanation of his question, but Ryeowook’s  face was dull, expressionless. Only eyes were burning, or tried to burn something deep inside himself.

“Yes, I do believe that. But I also believe, just like the phoenix, you can start your life anew. You born from the ashes.” Ryeowook looked at Changmin. He felt like the other man understand him, even if he don’t know about him.

“But what if ashes hurt?” Ryeowook asked and Changmin sighed.

“Life always hurt even if you are happy. You need to end something to start something. Always.” Their eyes met and Ryeowook felt the gentleness inside Changmin’s eyes.

“What about memories? They remind.”

“Only if you want them. People have tendency to forget.”

“What if I forget, but I want to remember, but I can’t?” Changmin frowned at Ryeowook’s words.

“You forget?” He asked the question so quietly, lower than a whisper. Ryeowook could pretend that he didn’t hear him.

“I forget everything, even my own name.”

“Ryeowook?” Changmin’s voice rang in Ryeowook’s head so crystal clear and loud. He felt like he heard his name for the first time. Like hearing it for the first time from his dead parents.  

“I had a car accident and I forget about myself.” Ryeowook confessed and something in his heart lifted up. He hasn’t even noticed that he had a burden on his heart.

Changmin was silent for a minute after Ryeowook’s confession. He didn’t know what to say. He can’t even image how it is to forget everything, while he, himself, remember everything, every sad and happy time.

“You think it’s bad?” The worry in Ryeowook’s voice made Changmin glance at him. At first his face was expressionless, but then he smiled lightly at the shorter man and replied:

“I don’t think so. Everything is for a reason. You are like a new born child, like a white sheet that can be used to write a new story. Forgetting is nothing bad, so is remembering. You learn from your life. You may be not remember your life, but deep inside you know everything. That feeling is enough for you. Remember that your life is yours only. Your memories are yours only and forgetting them, means that you yourself, thought they were needed to be forgotten.”

“Even my name?”

“Even your name. Maybe you wanted to name yourself Stefen?” Changmin grinned and Ryeowook couldn’t surpass his laugh. He laughed so hard, making the tears of happiness and relieve run down his cheeks. Changmin’s words lifted his spirit. He felt light and so full of energy. Feeling the burden from other peoples, now after the other man’s words, he sees nothing bad in himself. Everyone blamed him, but there was nothing to blame. He forgot for a reason.

Changmin seeing Ryeowook’s laughing so freely, couldn’t stop a smile to show in his lips. He, for some reason felt warm inside each time Ryeowook smiled or was cheerful. He liked that glow inside Ryeowook’s eyes.

Changmin reached his hand and wiped a tear from Ryeowook’s cheek, making them both froze, silent from what happened. Changmin quickly withdrew his hand and moved the stick to pull out potatoes.

“Th-They are.. They are done, I think.” Changmin stuttered and reached for the potato when it was safe away from the bonfire. Ryeowook looked at him with a puzzled expression. But he soon after laughed when Changmin squeaked as his palms get burned from potato being too hot.

The taller man threw clumsily the potato onto Ryeowook’s palms. And Ryeowook shared Changmin’s pain. He releases the potato from his palms, making it fell on the ground. Both looked at the vegetable.

“It’s too hot. Let’s leave it to cool down.”

“Smoking hot.” Changmin commented, seeing the peel burdened black. Both laughed at the joke and come back to their comfortable zone. They didn’t talk a lot. They just shared bits of information both knew, like the fact the sea is still cold or that Sooyoung is an awesome cook.

 

 

A/N: Do you think that smoking hot was about potatoes or Ryeowook? And as you can see, Changwook didn't meet before that, but that don't mean they can't be close now...maybe they will ^^

Hope you guys will be more active, It's bit creepy to talk to myself mostly XD