Baby Bear's Birthday

Picturesque

 

 

 

#HappySeulgiDay

 

***

 

As she watched the members playing around, trying to smudge some cream on Seulgi’s face after the birthday song, Irene could only smile endearingly. 

 

When Irene first met Seulgi, she was still better known as Joohyun and Seulgi was only 15 years old. 

 

Time flew so fast with so many things happening and they had been through all kind of episodes together. 

 

Before she even realised, her little bear who was three years younger was already 23 years old, fully grown into a feminine woman who emitted much charisma. 

 

Her little Seulgi who had been through slumps, who had been rather dependent on her during the tough times was now the reliable one to the younger members in the group and Irene couldn’t be anymore prouder for the growth that she was able to witness. 

 

“Seulgi?”

 

When the others were preparing for their movie time in the living room, a quick break before they take off to Japan the next morning, Irene summoned Seulgi to the kitchen. 

 

The obedient bear-looking birthday girl quickly settled down at the dining table with the widest grin ever, as if she had been anticipating this moment for the longest time ever. 

 

Irene laughed aloud when she saw Seulgi smacked her lips upon the serving of seaweed soup, almost snatching the soup from Irene to begin her wolfing. 

 

“I have waited a year to taste this and the wait is so worth it!”

 

Seulgi’s straight teeth flashed in Irene’s face in the midst of the tasting, to which Irene mirrored.

 

“Silly girl, there’s so many times throughout the year that I would make this.”

 

“But Unnie, only for once per year, would you be making it specially just for me.” 

 

Although it sounded nonchalant, Irene could hear the appreciation Seulgi harboured for her. Before she could even respond, the youngest was beckoning for Seulgi to fix the smart television and the latter reluctantly came to a pause in her eating. 

 

Irene let out a contented sigh as her sight stagnated on the other girls crowding around one particular figure. 

 

She was thankful for Seulgi’s trust in her, depending on her during the hard times and sharing her burdens during others, becoming the strength for the three others as their bond strengthened throughout the years. 

 

“Happy birthday, Seulgi.”

 

When Seulgi rushed back to the table to resume eating, Irene reached out to ruffle Seulgi’s hair.

 

“Th-Thank you, Unnie.” 

 

Slightly baffled at the affection, Irene’s little bear gave a shy smile.

 

“I know you are 23 years old now but remember,” 

 

Irene brushed Seulgi’s hair back in place and pinched Seulgi’s munching cheek lightly.

 

“You will always be Joohyun Unnie’s little bear.”

 

***

 

“So, my friend, how do you feel now that you are officially 23 years old?”

 

Wendy laid on her side as she faced Seulgi who was comfortably settled down on the bed right beside her own. 

 

“Hmm,” Seulgi thought for awhile. “Nothing too special honestly.” 

 

The Canadian-Korean giggled at the typical reply that she longed expected. 

 

“Hey, don’t laugh! I’m officially your Unnie from today onwards you know?”

 

“Yeah, for 11 days before our status is back to being friends again.”

 

“Can I just have my moment?”

 

They stared at each other for less than a second before they both exploded into loud laughters that echoed through the room but was quickly interrupted when Seulgi had an incoming call from her parents. 

 

“Can I speak to them?”

 

Wendy folded her legs beneath her tiny frame, back straight up in 90 degrees as she took over the phone from her friend who was mocking her formal position despite it just being a phone call.

 

She cleared for a bit.

 

“Hi Mr and Mrs Kang, it’s Seungwan!” 

 

Seulgi didn’t mind the conversation as she carried on with her usual nightly skincare duties, knowing that Wendy had always been close to their parents because of her own being far away. 

 

Wendy had always been good with words and Seulgi officially felt the impact of it when she felt warm tears welling up in her eyes. 

 

“I know it’s late so I will make it quick!”

 

She paused her action to listen to the soothing voice of Wendy, words that were so sincere and real. 

 

“Your daughter has been a great member, a great friend and also like a sister from another family to all of us! She is a great person that everyone loves!”

 

Wendy probably thought that Seulgi would be mindless to her words as she went on. 

 

“That’s all thanks to the good upbringing she received from home since young, so thank you for bringing my friend to this world with all your hard work and showered her with so much love like always!” 

 

A figure flopped face down onto the bed with both hands covering a face, catching Wendy’s attention in the midst of the soon-to-end phone call.

 

“Even though she isn’t at home too often, I will help you both to supervise her health and make sure that she eats her vitamins and vegetables!”

 

Wendy emphasised the word vegetable loudly on purpose, meaning to tease Seulgi but when she saw how the shoulders were quivering as if the latter was crying, she ended the phone call faster than she meant to. 

 

“Son Seungwan calling for Kang Seulgi Unnie…?” 

 

“Miss Kang Seulgi!”

 

Shortly after Wendy’s failed attempt to prompt for a respond, the youngest of the group came barging in the room with other two members tailing right behind, sensing something amiss about the atmosphere when they spotted Wendy with a face full of guilt and worries. 

 

“Seulgi Unnie…”

 

Yeri and Joy buried their faces into each side of Seulgi’s neck, whining directly into the cute bear-liked ears while Irene patted her . 

 

“What’s wrong?”

 

“I don’t know, I was just talking to Mr Kang and she became like that..”

 

Irene nodded understandingly at Wendy who looked like she was on the verge of crying too. 

 

“She…” 

 

Everyone’s ears perked up immediately at the one word that Seulgi sobbed before she sat up with a tear stained face, hair disheveled. 

 

“If she badmouthed about you, I will make sure to shut for you!” 

 

Joy s her arm around Wendy’s neck and pressed her palm over the latter’s while Yeri nodded along, wiping the rolling beads of tears off Seulgi’s face. 

 

Everyone except Wendy had a rather hard time understanding the words that were sandwiched between hiccups and she heaved a sigh of relief, knowing that the tears were shed for a good reason. 

 

“As expected of our sappy Wendy Unnie…” 

 

Side-eyeing Wendy, Joy’s will to resist her laughter cracked when Yeri was the first to roar, rolling on the bed, ignoring the whines of Seulgi for them to stop mocking. 

 

Only when Irene exercised her leader authority, then did the girls allow peace to resume in the house. 

 

“To listen to somebody express gratitude towards my parents because of my presence hit me so hard that it would have made them so proud to hear it.” 

 

All five shared a heartwarming smile.

 

“Thank you, Seungwan.” 

 

“Before it gets sappy again,” Yeri cut them off as she waved some cards in the air. “Present time!”

 

The youngest baby spread the handmade coupon cards on the bed. 

 

“Wow watch out girls, we have a baller here!”

 

Joy picked up a yellow card that read SUSHI ON MYEMIM’S TAB with great attempt of sashimi drawings. 

 

“Will this really come through?”

 

Seulgi picked up another purple card with big bold words;

 

TEASE-FREE DAY

 

“I’m taking that back.” 

 

Yerim fell into Seulgi’s side instead when the card was out of reach and the bear gave a hug to the pouting girl, patting her on the back, cooing Yerim like she was a baby. 

 

“Our myemimie is so cute!” 

 

“Seulgi Unnie,”

 

A voice heavily coated with guilt called out and all attention turned to a tired looking Joy.

 

“I.. Sorry, I haven’t had the time to get you anyth-”

 

“Park Sooyoung, I don’t need anything anymore.”

 

Seulgi looked around, maintaining eye contact with each and every of her members before continuing. 

 

“I don’t need anything more when I have you guys here with me!” 

 

For a straight second, the room was pin drop silent until Seulgi herself curled her fingers and toes up in embarrassment, all letting out crackling noises. 

 

“Seungwan’s sappiness must have rubbed off you after you both started to room together!” 

 

Irene laid down comfortably on the bed, piling herself onto Yerim and Seugi, shaking her head at the noise pollution. 

 

“Should we all sleep here tonight?” 

 

Joy yawned her words as she snuggled under the blanket with Wendy, all five tiny figures having a spot on the two joint beds. 

 

“Like a family!”

 

Five different voices became one when they simultaneously mimicked Wendy’s favourite description of the group, even their giggles sounded as if they harmonised on purpose. 

 

“Time to sleep girls, we got a plane to catch tomorrow.”

 

Irene squeezed herself in between the 94 liners.

 

“Happy birthday again, Poop Puppy Bear.” 

 

“Happy birthday friend!”

 

Joy had long arrived in dreamland, waiting for others to join her shortly.

 

“Happy birthday, Miss Sushi…”

 

With the last soft wish from the baby member, the room was only left with sounds of low breathing. 

 

Seulgi savoured the warmth emitting from the presence of her second family as a satisfied smile ghosted on her lips, eyes slowly shutting.

 

“Happy birthday to me, indeed.”

 

***

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Happy 23rd Birthday to our loveliest bear, Kang Seulgi and happy #Rookie4thWin 💖💛💙💚💜

The reason why there is a special portion of just Irene wishing Seulgi for her birthday is because,

this is a SeulRene tag story after all. Nevertheless, it is/was Seulgi's birthday, so I didn't want to have any exclusion of the other members! #OT5 💕

I wrote it based on what I feel like the actual members would do in real life for Seulgi, except a little more ambiguity between SeulRene.

Of course, I'm just a fan like you all with so much understanding of the members each, so I wrote it as accurately as I can.

Hopefully you all like this! 😊

At the same time, continue to support #ROOKIE 💖💛💙💚💜