Mind

Picturesque

 

 

“The bigger part of my dream fulfilled isn’t more of the fact that we had done a solo concert.”

“Without you pulling me up during my down times, I don’t think I will make it till today.” 

 

*** 

 

When Seulgi made her return, the dormitory was quiet. 

 

After three consecutive days of concerts where the Olympic Hall was filled with thousands of fans who cheered endlessly, the lack of much noises besides the rain drops drumming outside, was hard to adjust to. 

 

She smiled to herself as she undid her laces, placing her shoes beside another pair of white Nuovo out of reflex. 

 

There wasn’t a fixed rule to how placement should be in the house, but some things were just a habit for Seulgi. 

 

She found a huge box of vitamin drink with a purple post-it note sitting on the kitchen counter after she showered and reached out to read the neat handwriting;  

 

“Kids, drink up!”

 

Looking towards the room that only belonged to one, Seulgi recalled how the leader returned home earlier unlike everyone else who hung out with their families and that somehow pained her heart.

 

Irene rejected her invitation to join her brother and her for dinner, claiming that she needed to catch up on the sleep that they didn’t really get over the past weeks of concert preparation. 

 

Sipping on the orange vitamin, Seulgi thought of how the Red Room was a reality, a dream so good that came true. 

 

From the moment they heard the news till the preparation and finally, the start of a new moment, her heart had only been contented. 

 

Until the second night of the concert when she realised she was greedy for something else, until she saw how Irene kept holding back those tears, compressing overwhelming emotions that were begging to be released. 

 

Seulgi understood that Irene just wanted to be strong because she was the eldest, because she was the leader and felt obligated to be the group’s pillar just like any other times. 

 

But she didn’t understand why Irene seemed to avoid her attempt in comforting. 

 

She thought back on how she tried following after the petite girl literally everywhere on stage during the ending song but the latter hardly ever looked at her, let alone gave her any chance to provide any forms of consolation. 

 

What fuel her more was when she watched the receding back walked away from her, heading towards Wendy instead. 

 

Of course, Seulgi didn’t mind at all that Irene chose Wendy over her; they all share a precious bond after all.  

 

What Seulgi minded was whenever tears started to well up in the doe eyes of her leader, she would be stripped of having any interactions. 

 

When Irene explained to the fans about the reasons behind her weeping earlier that morning on the second day of concert, Seulgi was once again reminded of how soft the eldest really was. 

 

She just couldn't divert her sight away from Irene who seemed so, so fragile at that moment and even when the song began, Irene was where most of her attention was on. 

 

The rain got even heavier on the outside, breaking Seulgi’s train of thoughts. 

 

Finishing the remaining drink in a gulp, she headed towards the only room with its door closed, carefully letting herself in as quietly as possible and saw Irene looking smaller than ever on the super single sized bed curled beneath the lavender quilt. 

 

Just like their pre-debut days, Seulgi slid under the blanket, spooning the girl three years older into her arms. 

 

“Unnie..?”

 

She rested her hold across the stomach and almost automatically, another hand hovered over Seulgi’s, fingers eventually lacing. 

 

The sweet scent of shampoo engulfed Seulgi’s senses, her body slowly relaxing entirely as she basked in the serenity. 

 

“Is everyone home?”

 

“No.”

 

“Remember to drink the vitamin.”

 

“I already did.” 

 

Seulgi scooped closer to feel the entireness of Irene, to which the latter began to caress Seulgi’s knuckles with her thumb. 

 

“Good job, Seul,” Irene’s voice was low, but soothing. “For finishing the concert well.” 

 

“Are you proud of me?” 

 

Seulgi didn’t know why, she just needed to hear Irene’s praises for her tonight. 

 

“Of course, always.” 

 

Nobody spoke for a minute before Irene continued.

 

“Remember how we always talked about how solo concerts were dreams so hard to achieve during our training days?” 

 

Seulgi buried her face into the crook of the neck, nodding her agreement as the bittersweet sensation of nostalgia manifested. 

 

“You wiped my tears whenever I cried because of my vocal condition, you encouraged me.”

 

“I always knew you can do it.”

 

Seulgi didn’t have to see to know that Irene was wearing a smile. Softly, she tugged Irene, turning the girl over to face her. 

 

The only source of light was the sleep lamp on the side desk but it was sufficient for Seulgi to see how beautiful Irene looked even without makeup. 

Almost reflectively, Seulgi reached out to tuck Irene’s hair behind the cute ear, brushing the falling fringe away. 

 

“Unnie, I don’t think I can ever get sick of your face.” 

 

When Irene giggled, Seulgi swore there were patches of red spreading across the pale cheeks and instead of pulling her hand away, she rested against the face, fingers softly caressing the smooth skin. 

 

Everything else in the world seemed to have came to a pause when all they did was looking into each other’s eyes without exchanging any words, but they could still hear the thoughts in their minds. 

 

Irene clearly swallowed hard when touches lingered on her lips, a thumb tracing the shape of her lips. 

 

Seulgi’s eyes twinkled the way a hunter’s eyes would when a prey was found, all the while feeling an undeniable force bringing her closer until the tips of their noses met. 

 

When Irene closed her eyes, Seulgi took it as her cue to seal the last bit of gap between them. 

 

The sweet, sweet taste of Irene had always been consistent; every kiss was like the first and that was exactly what Seulgi loved. 

 

Irene’s body melted entirely into a pair of arms that only held her tighter, fingers gently running through her hair and sighed with contentment inwardly when the peck deepened into a fuller engagement. 

 

There was no urgency in the interaction as Seulgi paced herself, slowly pressing in and withdrawing out from time to time but it still managed to make Irene’s heart raced. 

 

If it was possible to drown in overwhelming emotions, both of them would be having absolutely difficulties in trying to stay afloat. 

 

“I don’t think I can ever be sick of you, at all..” 

 

Seulgi’s attention darted between the lips that she just tasted and those glistening pair of eyes that was oozing unquantifiable love for her as she whispered. 

 

“And do you think I can?” Irene chuckled. “I’m way clingier than you are.” 

 

“I like that you do.” 

 

Simultaneously, they snuggled closer, foreheads against each other, both wearing the same blissful smile. Just like her name, Irene emitted an aura of peacefulness that Seulgi enjoyed.

 

At that moment, everything felt perfect. 

 

“Unnie?”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Do you trust me?”

 

Without opening her eyes, Irene nodded with no hesitation as Seulgi watched along. 

 

“Do you believe that I can and I will protect you?”

 

This time, Irene frowned a little.

 

“Just being around you makes me feel protected.” 

 

Seulgi’s heart fluttered and she pressed her lips on the forehead quickly.

 

“Are you comfortable around me?” 

 

There was a sudden surge of fear that shot through the younger’s veins when she felt the body in her arms stiffened upon the question, the grip on their laced hands loosening. 

 

Slowly, Irene opened her eyes again, blinking repeatedly before looking back at Seulgi. The latter wasn’t sure what she saw in those frames, but it looked awfully much like a mixture of pain and confusion. 

 

However, those looks were replaced immediately, softening into endearment. 

 

Irene took the initiative this time, offering kisses that were unlike the gentle ones they shared earlier on. 

 

Resting her hand just slightly above the chest, she drummed her fingers against the collarbones as their lips hovered over each other’s. 

 

“Baby,” It tickled Seulgi on the inside. “What’s wrong?”

 

Irene was about to move away to take a better look at Seulgi but was deterred when a hand held her firmly in place, another kiss sealed. 

 

“Why do you never come to me when you are hurting..?” 

 

As if it was a slow motion movie, Irene’s lips slowly parted and she blinked once, twice; words getting stuck in and she lost the ability to formulate any replies to Seulgi’s enquiry, especially when it was one that was heavily coated with sadness. 

 

“What happened to feeling protected around me?” 

 

The more she was pressurised into giving an answer, the more her mind went blank. It was in a complete state of void and empty. 

 

“I.. What do you mean?”

 

In her head, she had beaten herself up for such a response after a pause long enough to come up with better ones but she knew it was too late to take it back. 

 

“Why do you always choose to cry alone?”

 

It struck Irene as a random confrontation at first.

 

“You knew I was looking at you but why did you walk away?”

 

But it all clicked when she realised that Seulgi was referring to their ending stage during the concert. 

 

The members did mention that their leader would rather be alone when in hardship than to voice it out, and it was also true that Irene wasn’t a fan of seeking comfort from anyone when she was having a difficult time. 

 

“Tell me what am I not doing enough so I can be better for you.” 

 

Irene’s caress lingered on the nape of Seulgi’s neck as she shook her head.

 

“You are always good enough, there’s nothing more that I need from you.” 

 

Throughout the years that they had been together, they had the same conversation multiple times but it never got as far as this time round, given how Irene always dismissed the case fast enough. 

 

There they were, laying in each other’s embrace and there was no way to run away from this, as much as Irene was reluctant to talk about it. 

 

“You make me feel so useless.” 

 

Words can hurt and it was never as true as that moment when Seulgi breathed out her heartfelt thoughts heavily and just a few words strung together, stabbing into Irene’s heart. 

 

“So it’s okay for Wendy to comfort you but not me?” 

 

Seulgi just didn’t understand the selectiveness of Irene when it comes to sharing of her emotions. 

 

Given that they had been through so much more than the rest did and that she had shown more of her vulnerabilities to Irene than anyone else despite all fighting for a chance to debut during their training days, she didn’t think that it was too much to ask for the same. 

 

Instead of giving any answers, Seulgi could feel the latter withdrawing away, be it physically or mentally, which got her fuel up on the inside. 

 

It was no secret how careful Irene had always been with her words and her thoughts, and that was what made her so special to Seulgi. 

 

But right then, it was just annoying her to no end. 

 

“Is it because you are feeling the burden as our leader?”

 

“Seulgi…”

 

Irene was overwhelmed.

 

“Because you are older than us?” 

 

“Stop..”

 

“Because although you said you feel protected by me, you actually don’t trust me enough to share your raw emotions with me?” 

 

Seconds later after she raised her voice slightly, she realised that the petite figure was trembling. Sure, she was engulfed by guilt for her tone but she wasn’t sorry for wanting an answer. 

 

Lifting the chin up to have eye contact, she gave a peck on the sharp nose, then cupped Irene’s face tenderly in her hand. 

 

“Please, just tell me what’s on your mind.” 

 

From the moment Seulgi decided to confront, she knew she was taking a risk.

 

She was either pushing Irene off her edge, or she might actually be getting some responses that she had craved for years. 

 

When Irene cuddled deeper into Seulgi’s hug and dawdled her face like a whining puppy against Seulgi’s chest, Seulgi sighed in relief. 

 

She glazed the tips of her fingers against Irene’s small back, constant kisses showering on the crown of the head as she waited patiently. 

 

“I can’t bring myself to cry in front of you when I know that you deserve to have the moment to yourself.” 

 

Seulgi’s heart sank when her collar was stained with tears. 

 

“You had more hardships than anyone of us did, you trained longer than anyone of us did. It wasn’t fair to divide your attention from indulging in that moment of glory.”

 

“Unnie..”

 

“How can I cry just because my family wasn’t there when Seungwan waited three years before her parents could watch her perform..?”

 

It was always members before herself, all because of the responsibility that came along with the title of leader. 

 

“The youngest two..” Irene sniffed. “Need I say more?” 

 

“You deserve that moment just as much as we do, Unnie.”  

 

“I enjoyed every moment of the concert, with the fans, with the girls and of course, with you.”

 

Irene kissed Seulgi on the neck, then moved back to look the girl in her eyes and drew in for another kiss on the lips.

 

“I enjoy everything more because you were there with me, beside me, fulfilling our dream that we only dare dreamed when we were trainees.” 

 

Nobody said anything anymore, just the girls marvelling at each other with their eyes reflecting so much tender love, Irene’s index finger soothing on Seulgi’s neat brows, sight darting about, trying to take in all the beauty at once. 

 

“You know,”

 

Seulgi started first.

 

“The bigger part of my dream fulfilled isn’t more of the fact that we had done a solo concert.” 

 

The finger caressed its way down her cheek, tickling her lightly on the inside and she only pulled the elder girl closer to her by the waist. 

 

“It is how you were there to fulfil the dream with me.”

 

Their noses touching, breath against each other’s upper lips. 

 

“Do you know exactly how much I need you?”

 

Seulgi let her lips ghosted on the snow-liked skin, leaving traces enough to flutter feelings. 

 

“Without you pulling me up during my down times, I don’t think I will make it till today.” 

 

The whisper made Irene’s guts squeezed together, her body went even softer with a quick peck. 

 

“You’re stronger than you know..”

 

Irene could barely breathe the words out when the hand originally resting on her waist went further down her spine, fingers tugging at her top. 

 

“I hope I’m strong enough to become your strength now too.” 

 

Slowly but surely, Seulgi was gravitating her body towards Irene, the petite figure eventually beneath the younger one. 

 

“I love your thoughts but I hate that I can’t tell what’s on your mind sometimes.”

 

Familiar touches were then sliding under the thin purple fabric of Irene’s nightwear, drumming rhythmically across the soft abdomen.

 

“Can you please promise me, to let me be there for you and let me in your head?” 

 

Irene gulped when the strings of her pants were untied, nodding in small motions.

 

“Let’s try now, shall we?”

 

Seulgi leaned in closer, burying her head deeper into the neck, her voice echoed through the little hollow space before her tongue touched the skin. 

 

“Tell me what’s on your mind.”

 

At a painfully held-back speed, Seulgi pecked her way back to look Irene in the eyes, giving an unintentional smirk. 

 

“Hmm?”

 

Her thumb pressed on Irene’s lower lips, parting them, urging for a respond.

 

“Seulgi,”

 

“Yes?”

 

Irene’s hands found their way to lift the shirt over Seulgi’s head.

 

“I’m thinking,” She tossed it away. “Maybe you should kiss me now.”

 

***

 

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

This chapter came a lot later than I would like for it to be & I sincerely apologise.

With this, I would like to conclude Picturesque, capping at 10 chapters.

As much as I enjoy writing with picture contexts & let our imagination run wild,

it is sadly not getting responses that made me felt like this concept is working.

I hereby thank all of you, especially those who comment religiously, for accepting my writing as it is.

Pardon me for the mistakes that I have made, or areas that you think I can be better at.

Having blessed to be able to attend Red Room, I am honoured to tell you all that much to our stereotypical thoughts of Seulgi,

an adorable human bear who seems to stiffen whenever Irene gets close for skinship,

she cares greatly for Irene and vice versa.

Putting shipping aside, I would just like to comment on their friendship.

Their friendship is more than what we can understand, especially how it budded since their trainee days.

They have always been there for each other; trainee, predebut as SR14G and now in Red Velvet

They have been through thick and thins to get to where they are now, side by side, hand in hand.

With the upcoming promotions Red Velvet will have in Japan and their soon-to-come comeback,

I hope all of us can gather ourselves as Reveluvs (not as shippers) to support our five beautiful girls.

Till the next time, thank you.