Chapter 6

Pretty faces and ugly thoughts

We get into this a cab and head towards a small house place, Peru is sort of like Ukraine, people sell places to stay on every street, so we didn't have a hard time finding one. We ended up staying at some young couples place, they said they lived a block away, so if we needed anything, we could just walk over, we said our thank you'd and bid our good byes, then went to set up quickly and decide to take a stroll through Lima. Lima is really pretty, urban and under appreciated, it's like 7 right now, and there are people dancing and singing, l absentmindedly link my arm through his and lean my head on his shoulder, humming to the music, he looks down at me and smiles, I look up at him and sing to the song some small band is playing, Open Arms, by Journey, "Lying beside you, here in the dark, feeling your heart beat with mine," l notice people swaying to the music and l start too, "Softly you whisper, you're so sincere, how could our love be so blind." I hold the last note dramatically and someone pulls me away so I'm standing in front of the band, I'm a little shocked but recover quickly, "We sailed on together, we drifted apart,and here you are by my side." I hold the note dramatically and someone hands me a mike, I take it and start the chorus, "So now I come to you, with open arms,nothing to hide, believe what I say. So here I am, with open arms, hoping you'll see, what your love means to me, open arms." I open my eyes, realizing they were closed, and see Lance, his mouth open slightly and eyes wide, people around him dance, but he just stays there, in shock, "Living without you, living alone,this empty house seems so cold, wanting to hold you, wanting you near, how much I wanted you home." I arpeggio the last note and notice more people have come, "But now that you've come back, turned night into day, I need you to stay." I play with the last note and take a deep breath, "So now I come to you, with open arms, nothing to hide, believe what l say, so here I am, with open arms hoping you'll see, what your love means to me," I play with the chord again, "Open arms." I sing, my voice echoing around the streets. It's silent for a moment, then loud rounds of clapping erupt, l blush and walk back to Lance, "Did you like it?" I ask.