Chapter 6

Don't Ask Me Why

By the time Mark, Youngjae and Jackson got to the party, it seemed to already be in full swing. Jinyoung had really gone all out, practically transforming his (massive) place into a club. 
“Happy birthday.” Jackson smiled, hugging his flatmate. 
“You didn’t have to do so much.” Youngjae said, although he was smiling thankfully. 
“It’s nothing, it was Jinyoung anyway.” Jackson replied. “You better go; everyone is here for you.” He ended with a wink before pushing the boy off who quickly cast back a final smile. Jackson still felt a little dazed. He was tired but didn’t want to sleep. He got himself a drink, tonight he would have a good time. 
And after a few more drinks Jackson was the life of the party, as he usually was, all his anxieties from the last few weeks dispersed as he talked and laughed happily. It felt so great being here but he couldn’t help wondering where Jaebum was.

***

After being dragged up to dance several times, Youngjae decided to sit down. He was so grateful that so much effort had been put into the party, but he was really tired. He looked around the room, there was a lot of people here, a lot of people he didn’t actually know but he didn’t mind. He spotted Jackson then; dancing. It made Youngjae happy to see him behaving like his old self again. He searched the crowd to see if Jaebum was there yet, but he couldn’t see him. Oh Jaebum and Jackson. Would have perhaps been better to have said something? It was pretty obvious to him and Mark that there was something special between them, if you were around them for five minutes you’d know there was. Youngjae had wanted to say something, it frustrated him so much, watching them going around and around in circles like they did, but Mark had convinced him that they had to sort it out themselves. He was probably right, but sometimes Youngjae thought about how much less pain would have been caused if they had just said something. He sighed. 
“You okay?” It was Mark, he sat beside him. Youngjae smiled. 
“Yeah of course” he hesitated. “Mark, are you sure we shouldn’t have said anything, about Jaebum and Jackson I mean?” 
Mark thought for a moment, watching the movement of all the people around the room. 
“Yeah, I’m sure.” He said finally. “It’s all going to be okay in the end.” He nodded to the dance floor. Youngjae turned to look.

***

Jackson felt great. It had been ages since he had felt like this. The alcohol was taking effect. He moved to the music, people surrounding him, dancing with anyone, he loved it. He felt someone come up behind him, gentle hands placed on his hips. He didn’t care who it was, he’d dance with them. He swayed back into them, however they didn’t respond. Jackson frowned and turned around before coming face to face with Jaebum. Jackson froze. Then he smiled. 
“Jaebum! You’re here.” He shouted over the music. Jaebum didn’t smile back. 
“Can I talk to you?” he said. Jackson frowned briefly before nodding and following Jaebum as he struggled through the crowd. 
He led them up to the roof. There was no-one up there. They were alone.
“ it’s cold.” Jackson shivered, wrapping his arms around himself. He was just wearing a thin t-shirt. 
“Here, have this.” Jaebum took off his jacket and gave it to Jackson. 
“But then you’ll be cold.” Jackson tried to reject the offer. 
“You will be colder, please take it.” 
Jackson finally took the jacket and put it on. It was much warmer now. Jaebum walked toward the bannisters, Jackson followed. 
“Is everything okay?” Jackson asked, aware of Jaebum’s serious expression, but his tipsy mind not really processing what it meant. The other man nodded. There was silence for a moment.
“My girlfriend split up with me.” Jaebum said, staring out at the night view. 
“Why?” Jackson asked, not sure of what else to say, shivering because of the cold. 
Jaebum shrugged. “She thinks I’m too into the band, not enough into her.” 
“Wow.” Jackson pulled the jacket closer around him.
“She’s jealous. She thinks I spend too much time with you.” 
“That’s nothing to be jealous about.” Jackson joked. Jaebum turned to look at him. The night breeze ruffled his hair. 
“She thinks I like you.” 
Jackson looked at Jaebum before breaking out into laughter. 
“Tell her not to worry.” He smiled. Jaebum’s expression didn’t change. He continued to stare at Jackson. Jackson stopped smiling. Why was he looking at him like that? Jaebum stood back from the bannister and turned towards him. Jackson’s heart started beating faster. What was happening? Jaebum took a step towards him, another one; suddenly they were just centimetres apart. Jackson looked up at the man. What was happening? He just split up with his girlfriend. Why was he looking at him like that? Jaebum’s eyes explored Jackson’s face, hesitation in his expression. His eyes rested on his lips. Jackson’s heart was now racing; he still didn’t know what was happening. Then Jaebum leant towards him. 
And he leant back. Why did he do that? Hurt flashed across Jaebum’s face. He froze for a moment before pulling away. No. 
“Wait!” Jackson said out loud before grabbing Jaebum and crashing their lips together. Jaebum’s lips were still for a split second, obviously surprised by Jackson’s actions, before they started to move against his. Jackson put arm around Jaebum’s neck pulling him closer as Jaebum desperately clung to Jackson’s jacket as if the world would end if he let go. Jackson could feel that Jaebum was shaking. Jaebum kissed him urgently almost too urgently. Jackson broke the kiss. Jaebum looked at him, eyes blown with arousal but a look of fear on his face. 
“Hey, it’s okay, take it slow.” Jackson brought his hand up to cup Jaebum’s cheek.
“I’ve wanted to kiss you since I met you.” Jaebum whispered as “I’m sorry I didn’t do anything sooner I was-”
“It’s okay.” Jackson insisted, smiling softly. Jaebum nodded, leaning into Jackson’s hand. Jackson hesitated, he wanted to ask something. “So are you straight or…”
“Bi.” Jaebum replied. 
Jackson’s eyes widened. “Have you always known…?”
“Yes.” Jaebum smiled. Jackson felt like kicking himself; why had he assumed he was straight? He didn’t say anything for a moment, just stared at Jaebum, he couldn’t believe this was happening. He couldn’t believe Jaebum was looking at him like that…
“I want you.” Jaebum murmured, his voice low. Jackson’s breath caught. “I’ve never-”
Jackson cut him off by colliding their lips back together. This time the kiss was slower, but it felt more intense, unbearably intense. Now their lips moved against each as if they were made to kiss the other. Jackson broke the kiss again. 
“I’ve wanted to kiss you since I first met you too.” Jackson said. Jaebum smiled before sinking back into the kiss.

*One Year Later*

 

“JACKSON HURRY UP IT’S ARRIVED.” Youngjae yelled. 
“Alright I’m coming!” Jackson called back, marching out of his room leaving a trail of destruction in his wake. 
“Come on!” Youngjae shoved his arms into his jacket, and then shoved Jackson’s arms into his jacket. 
“Hey calm down, it’s not like it will make a difference how fast we get there.” Jackson said, fixing his hair again. 
“But I need to know!” 
They left their flat and ran to the bus stop, arriving just as the bus pulled in. 
“I don’t know why they’re sending a letter, isn’t that really prehistoric why don’t they email or phone?” Jackson asked, once they had got on the bus. 
“I don’t know…tradition or something maybe?” Youngjae responded half-heartedly, not really focusing on what Jackson was saying, slowly unthreading the hem of his jumper. 
After the first show they had played lots of very similar shows over the course of a year, everywhere they went, people liked them. It was amazing; they were happy. But then they received a phone call from someone, claiming they were from a record label, and they had seen the band at one such show. The person requested that they send them tapes of them playing and they would decide whether to sign them or not. It had taken the whole band by surprise, although they had aspired towards it, they never expected actually getting anywhere, they were fine just playing random gigs. They had sent off the tapes and were told they would receive a letter on the decision made by the label. Finally, the letter had arrived at Jaebum’s house, but they wanted to all open it together. 
Thanking the driver quickly, the men bolted to Jaebum’s house as soon as they got off the bus, arriving at his place in a flash. 
“We made it.” Jackson beamed. Youngjae laughed, still out of breath. He reached out to open the door but then hesitated. 
“What if they didn’t like us?” Youngjae asked, turning to Jackson. Jackson put his arm around him.
“Then we’ll find someone who does.” 
At that moment Jaebum opened the door. 
“Good, you’re here finally.” 
“Someone had a struggle getting up this morning.” Youngjae glanced at Jackson. 
“Of course.” Jaebum huffed but couldn’t keep the smile of his face a Jackson ran forward to kiss him. 
“I missed you.” Jackson said, clinging to his boyfriend. 
“I missed you too.” Jaebum replied, squeezing him tighter. 
“You saw him yesterday.” Youngjae exclaimed, pushing past the sickly sweet couple. Youngjae wasn’t sure what he disliked more now; Jackson and Jaebum fighting or being constantly lovey-dovey. Okay, this was probably much better than them fighting. 
He walked into the kitchen. There it was. Jackson and Jaebum followed close behind, seemingly finding in impossible to not be constantly touching each other. Mark was sat at the kitchen table, staring at the letter. 
“Who’s going to open it?” he said. There was silence. No one wanted to be the one, but then again all of them did. 
“Jackson should.” Youngjae said finally. 
“Yeah, you started the band after all.” Jaebum said, noticing his boyfriends alarmed expression. Mark nodded in agreement. 
After a further moment of hesitation Jackson stepped towards the table, hands shaking slightly, breathing intensifying. 
“It doesn’t matter what they say, it’s not the end.” Jaebum stepped up beside him, briefly squeezing his shaking hand. Jackson nodded before taking up the envelope and opening it in one swift movement. He froze, trying to comprehend the words on the letter. He had to read it several times before it began to look like actually sentences. 
“Well?” Mark asked. 
“What does it say?” Youngjae prodded. 
“They want to sign us.” Jackson muttered. 
“What?” the youngest exclaimed loudly. Jackson gave him the letter. 
Jackson turned to Jaebum, who was looking as shocked as Jackson felt. Their eyes connected and then they were smiling as wide as they could. Youngjae and Mark were celebrating in the background and Jackson was the happiest in that moment. Jaebum pulled him into a celebratory hug before kissing him. 
“I love you.” He said. Jackson just kissed him again, he didn’t need to say it.

 

----------------------------------------------------

 

So that's it. I know the ending's a bit naff but I'm not so good at endings, sorry!

This fic was majorly inspired by the real life relationship of Boy George and Jon Moss from the band Culture Club although the relationship in this fic is much much happier and healthier than theirs. If you want to know more about their relationship I'd recommend watching the film "Worried About the Boy", it's very interesting(and a good film) and where I took a lot of inspiration from.

Thank you to everyone for reading!