Chapter 1

Don't Ask Me Why

“My girlfriend split up with me.” Jaebum said, staring out at the night view.
“Why?” Jackson asked, shivering because of the cold night.
Jaebum shrugged. “She thinks I’m too into the band, not enough into her.”
“Wow.” Jackson pulled the jacket closer around him.
“She’s jealous. She thinks I spend too much time with you.”
“That’s nothing to be jealous about.” Jackson joked. Jaebum turned to look at him. The night breeze ruffled his hair.
“She thinks I like you.”

A few months earlier

“Youngjae! You’re amazing!” Jackson exclaimed, clapping excitedly. “We’re going to be amazing, seriously!” Youngjae had just sung for him. After three weeks of Jackson pestering him to, he finally couldn’t take his nagging any longer.
“Jackson, I can’t be in a band. I have more important stuff to do.” Youngjae groaned seeing the other man's excited disposition.
“Like what?” Jackson stopped clapping.
“Like uni”
“You hate your course.”
“But I still-”
“Come on Youngjae, you know you’d prefer to do this!” Jackson jumped up and threw his arm around Youngjae’s shoulders.
Youngjae sighed, he couldn’t argue with Jackson. And maybe he agreed with him. He'd always had a passion for singing.
“My parents are going to kill me.” He muttered.
“Nah, they’ll be proud of you!”
Youngjae rolled his eyes. “It’s not like we’re going to get anywhere with this.”
“Of course we are, we’re going to be the biggest!” Jackson grinned. He had been obsessed with the idea of being in a band for about a month now. It all started after he had come third in a competition playing the guitar. It was just a small competition but still Jackson felt it was quite an accomplishment; after all he had only been learning to play for just over a month.
“Right, so we’ve got vocals, guitar and bass. We just need drums now.” Jackson said as he pulled a notebook out of his bag and rapidly started making notes.
“You got a bassist?” Youngjae questioned.
“Yeah.” Jackson replied, not really paying attention, still scribbling in his book.
“Who?”
“Mark.”
“Mark can play the bass?”
“Yep.”
“I never knew that…”
“He started three weeks ago.”
“Oh.”
“Anyway, do you know anyone who can play the drums?” Jackson asked, frowning. “I’ve been thinking for ages and I can’t come up with anyone, do you think we’ll have to hold auditions?”
Youngjae thought for a minute. “I know someone, I’m not sure if he’ll do it though…”
“Who are they?”
“My friend, well actually he’s like an older brother to me. But he can be a bit…”
“It doesn’t matter, let’s just meet with him. I will be charming, we’ll make our band sound amazing, how could he refuse?” Jackson grinned.
“I guess…” Youngjae wasn’t particularly convinced, but Jackson is really difficult to argue with.

 

Later that week.

 

“He’s late.” Youngjae muttered. “I knew he would be.”
“Only a few minutes, it’s fine.” Jackson replied, taking a sip of his coffee. They had been waiting for Youngjae’s friend for fifteen minutes now but Jackson was trying to remain as positive as possible. Although Jackson had wanted to see him play drums upon first meeting, Youngjae had convinced him it better to just talk to him, therefore choosing a café as an appropriate meeting place.
“Jackson, I just want to warn you, he can be difficult some-”
“Look its fine, don’t worry about it. I can deal with it.” At that moment the door of the café opened.
“He’s here, finally.” Youngjae said. Jackson turned to look.
“Wow.”
Through the door walked a man. A man with dark piercing eyes and a sharp handsome face; whose dark brown hair was pushed back from his forehead in a messy but stylish way. He wore a simple t-shirt with black jeans and a leather jacket yet he looked like a model. The man noticed Youngjae and Jackson, nodded at them briefly before going to the counter to order a coffee.
“That’s him?” Jackson whispered after finally tearing his eyes away from the beautiful man.
“That’s him.” Youngjae replied with a slightly grim expression on his face: he was expecting the worse from this meeting.
The man got his drink and walked over to join Jackson and Youngjae. As he approached Youngjae greeted him with a smile.
“Hey.” He said, standing up. Jackson hesitantly followed suit.
“Hi.” The man responded with a small but warm smile for Youngjae, momentarily glancing at Jackson.
“You alright?”
“Yeah, you?” Youngjae responded with a brief smile and nod before he noticed Jackson lingering beside him, seemingly anxious to be introduced.
“Oh Jackson, this is my friend Jaebum. Jaebum this-”
“Hi I’m Jackson.” Jackson cut off Youngjae holding out his hand. The man, Jaebum, smirked slightly as he shook his hand.
“Actually we’ve met before.” Jaebum said. Jackson frowned.
“I don’t think so, I’m sure I would’ve remembered.”
“Really? Where?” Youngjae asked at the same time.
“Jinyoung’s party last year; as I recall you were dressed as a cheerleader.” Jaebum’s smirk grew as Jackson became redder.
“Oh… right.” Jackson laughed awkwardly, now understanding why he hadn’t remembered Jaebum. He couldn’t really remember anything from that night.
“Ah okay.” Youngjae said. “So how have you been Jaebum?” he sat down again followed by Jaebum doing the same. Jackson remained standing, a frown on his face.
“I’m not so bad, actually I-”
“I didn’t say anything to you that night did I?” Jackson interrupted. Jaebum and Youngjae looked at him. An amused look forming on Jaebum’s face.
“Um no, we weren’t properly introduced. I just… saw you there.” As Jaebum replied Jackson’s face took on an expression of relief.
“Thank goodness.” He exclaimed happily, finally taking his seat again. “So Jaebum, you know how to play the drums?”
Youngjae sighed, he had been hoping Jackson wouldn’t plunge straight into band talk. Jaebum quickly glanced at him before answering. “Yeah I play the drums.”
“Any good?”
“Very.”
“Hmm, you sure?”
“What d'you mean?”
“You seem more like a front man to me.” Jackson pouted.
“Really? Why’s that?” Jaebum leaned forward.
“I don’t know; you just give off that vibe.” Jackson smiled, leaning back. Jaebum smirked.
“Well that may be but I’m a drummer. The best you’ll find around here.”
“I’m sure there’s some very good drummers around here.” Jackson said, tilting his head.
“Maybe.” Jaebum took a sip of his coffee. “But I’m the best.” They stared each other out. Youngjae coughed awkwardly, bringing the attention onto himself.
“Um, I can vouch for Jaebum being good enough for our band.” he muttered.
“I’m more than good enough.”
“Good ‘cause we only accept the best.”
“What about you? How do I know I’m not stepping into something I won’t regret?”
Jackson laughed. “You don’t.”
Jaebum just looked at him; his eyes darkening.
“Jackson is really very good at playing guitar…considering he’s only been learning it for a few months, and you know my singing.” Youngjae cut in, very to defuse tension in the air.
“And Mark’s a really fast learner.” Jackson added.
“Mark’s in the band?” Jaebum turned to Youngjae who just nodded. “I didn’t know he could play any instruments.”
“Well he does now. Wait, how do you know Mark?”
“Just…stuff.” They were silent for moment.
“So…” Youngjae started, cautiously. “Will you be in our band?”
Jaebum didn’t reply for a moment, staring at Jackson. Jackson nibbled on his bottom lip, waiting for Jaebum’s answer. He suddenly felt self-conscious under the stare from those hard eyes, but he didn’t break eye contact.
“Yeah, I’ll be in the band.”