5. Behind Your Back

All For You « 2017 Myungsoo Birthday Event »
 

Title: Behind Your Back

Author: Minsoo-chan

Pairing: Woohyun/Myungsoo

Summary: Myungsoo and Woohyun were friends, but Myungsoo liked Woohyun more than just as friends.

“Namu—” Myungsoo scratched the ground using his feet while mumbling the name. His best friend and his crush for a long time. He and Nam Woohyun were very best friends and he kept trailing after Woohyun wherever he went. People would call them ‘twins’ because they were never separated—it was a long time ago by the way. Nam Woohyun was a part of his little world, if he was more friendly and has a brighter side, maybe he could be as popular as Woohyun with his cliques. Myungsoo never got along well with people except with Woohyun, so he was likely secret friends with him but Woohyun always tried making Myungsoo mix well. Myungsoo got categorized as a nerd and never show his true color with other people except for Woohyun. He just liked Woohyun.

“Hey, Myung. Let’s go.” Someone shook his shoulder and he gasped a bit. How a prince like Woohyun seemed brighter today with his cheerful image, “Myung, after school I have to hang out with Howon and Sunggyu, wanna go with me?”

Myungsoo just shook his head with a small smile. “It’s okay, Woohyun, you should just go have some fun, I have something to do after school.”

Woohyun sighed and ruffled Myungsoo’s hair, “You never have time for yourself, Myung. You always hang out with me, you are not bored?”

Myungsoo shook his head with a small frown, “No, I like to be alone, you know how I am, Woohyun.”

Woohyun just chuckled and continued ruffling his hair, “Aigoo, I hope one day, there is someone who will open your heart to talk more.”

Myungsoo just rolled his eyes and walked slowly until Woohyun walk ahead. ‘You didn’t know, Nam Woohyun, you are the first person I can talk to more and feels happy to be with you.' Myungsoo stared at Woohyun’s back with a sad smile. He liked to cling to Woohyun’s back. It was warm and it made him felt protected. He wrapped his arms around Woohyun’s neck from behind and clinging like usual—he just missed his scent. Woohyun just laughed and patted his head from behind. “Aigoo this Myung, still a baby,” Then, Myungsoo just nuzzled to his neck and laughed. It was a perfect morning for both of them.

It was Howon and Sunggyu in Woohyun’s clique. They were very famous at school and almost every day they got confession random from every girl, even boy. Myungsoo know someday his Woohyun will be taken but he was not ready yet.

“Hey, Myungsoo!” Sunggyu patted his shoulder and grinned. Myungsoo was startled a bit and hid behind Wohyun’s back but he smiled when he saw Sunggyu.

“Don’t be too shocked, Myungsoo,” Sunggyu laughed and greeted Woohyun after that. Myungsoo smiled as a greeting to Howon and Dongwoo before he left to go to his class.

“Hey, have you heard the rumor lately?” Myungsoo placed his bag on the seat and hid his face between of his arm. As usual, his morning was full of person chatting around and gossiped whatever they wanted to. He sighed; just let them be, better he snoring than hear stories that were none of his business, “...that Woohyun confess to Ailee—”, he raised his head when he heard Woohyun’s name. It was his business to know now, “...I saw both of them under the tree behind the school laughing together. In the end, I heard that they’re on their way to being a couple.” Myungsoo’s eyes widened and bit his lip nervously thinking his Woohyun gonna be taken.

He can’t be late and he must confess to him before Woohyun got taken. 

He clung on Woohyun’s back like usual and kept biting his own lip. Woohyun felt a  weird because on the whole their walk from school, Myungsoo just kept silent but still clinging to his back by wrapped around his shoulder, “Myungie, why are you so silent?”

“Aren't I already the silent type?” Myungsoo let out few laughs and Woohyun just shook his head with a small smile. “Namu-ah, I heard the rumor—” Myungsoo bit his lip and stole a glance at Woohyun. Was it the right time to ask him? Myungsoo wondered.

Woohyun raised his eyebrow and looked at Myungsoo, “What rumor?”

“You with Ailee?” Myungsoo asked with a nervous tone.

Woohyun just laughed and shook his head, “Aigoo, it is really spread wide now. Why are you asking in the first place, Myung?”

“Because I feel curious?” Myungsoo shrugged but he still clung onto Woohyun. Woohyun patted his hand and smiled.

“Actually Woohyun, I have something to tell you,” He gulped afterward. Oh god, he gathered all his spirits and released Woohyun’s neck. He walked in front of Woohyun and stopped walking, make the other stopped walking, too.

“Myung, what's wrong?” Woohyun asked.

“I have something to tell you.” Myungsoo look at him with heavy breath. “Sure, tell me,” Woohyun raised his eyebrow and smile.

“I like you,” Myungsoo already blushed and look down, “No—I love you,” This time he looked at Woohyun straightly.

Time seems stopped and Woohyun laughed, “Aigoo, Myung, I like you too.”

“No, I love you!”

“I love you too—” Myungsoo sealed Woohyun’s lip with a kiss. The latter widened his eyes and pushed Myungsoo softly.

“What are you doing, Myung!” Woohyun brushed his lip and his face was smudged with an anger. Myungsoo never saw Woohyun like this, “It's disgusting!”

“I—I love you, Woohyun. I—” He wanted to approach Woohyun but Woohyun just sighed and stepped backward.

“Myung-ah, I just think of you as my best friend and my sibling, I didn’t have any other feelings towards you,” Myungsoo felt his heart was broken apart. Woohyun sighed and approached Myungsoo who looked down, “Listen here, I’m sorry for how I acted just now, it was just...I only look at you as my best friend and never thought that you have any feelings for me. Sorry Myung, but you still have me as your best friend. I won't push you away but please forgive me, I don’t love you.”

Myungsoo just nodded and looked at Woohyun, “I—I’m sorry for the kiss,” Myungsoo wanted to bury himself deep in the ground. Suddenly, he felt so awkward with Woohyun.

Woohyun smiled weakly, “Just forget it okay?”

 

 

Don’t treat me like past spring,

Don’t let me like a wind

Can you save? Can you save me?

For the first time, Myungsoo regretted the foolish confession so much. He got rejected and hurt. He saw many confessions succeed and he thought he would get Woohyun after he confessed. He was wrong all this time, he never got Woohyun. He never looked at him.

The song kept repeated on his head. After 2 weeks since he confessed to Woohyun, he never went to Woohyun’s house or waited for him go to school, never appeared in front of Woohyun and what he regretted the most, he couldn't attach himself to Woohyun like he always did, especially his warm back. Woohyun was not curious about him either, maybe it was the time he would finally lose Woohyun. 

The crowd began to gather when the flower boys walked through the hall. Myungsoo squinted his eyes a bit when he saw the tall guy with the famous clique. He had a smiley face and waved his hand to the people who cheered for him.

“He is Lee Sungyeol,” There was a man behind him, Jang Dongwoo.

Myungsoo got startled a bit and let out a weak smile, “Hyung, what are you doing here?”

“To see what the crowd was about? So, I heard that Lee Sungyeol just moved here, a cousin of Lee Howon. A transfer student,” Dongwoo told him flatly with no interests. Myungsoo just laughed a bit and pull the hyung hand to get out from there.

“You just want to see that Lee Howon every day,” Dongwoo rolled his eyes and smirk at his dongsaeng, “You just want to see Nam Woohyun every day.”

Myungsoo let out a weak smile and they sat on the bench, far from the crowd, “Yes, no offense but I want this to an end. I don’t want to have any feelings for him anymore—”

“So, the confession .” Dongwoo sighed and shook his head, “I will never confess if it's like that.”

“You will never know if Howon really likes you.”

Dongwoo chuckled, “I’m not popular, I don’t have confidence with my looks—”

Myungsoo squints at Dongwoo, “ What are you saying, Hyung. You’re already handsome!”

“—and I barely talk to him 3 or 4 words when I met him.”

“Duh Hyung, try to make conversation a bit!” Myungsoo patted Dongwoo's back with a smile.

“I’m scared of getting hurt, maybe I will just wait and let me bury my feelings.”

Myungsoo sighed and respected what his hyung wanted. It hurt getting rejected, just let them be was the right choice.

 

***

 

Myungsoo collided with a boy taller than him, “I’m sorry—” Myungsoo bowed and looked at the person he bumped. Okay, it was Lee Sungyeol with a cold gaze, “Err—very sorry. I wanted to go quickly and didn’t notice you,”

Sungyeol tilted his head to look at Myungsoo.

Myungsoo bit his lip and looked at banana milk on his hold. He walked towards Sungyeol and gave the banana milk to the latter hand, “As an apology, I’m sorry,” he waved his hand before he walked away. He had to meet a teacher and he had to go quickly but he felt uneasy letting strangers had some unsatisfaction with him.

After Myungsoo walked away, Sungyeol looked at the banana milk carton, then he smiled himself, “Who was that angel?”

Sungyeol with his bright smile walked towards his friend on the bench.

“Wow! What was that smile?!” Sunggyu joked along with the laughter from them, “It looked like someone falling in love,” He added and Sungyeol couldn't help it but a blush crept on his face.

Howon gasped and blinked at his cousin, “Are you really, Dude?!”

Sungyeol snickered and opened his banana milk and drank it.

“Dude! You drink milk?!” Howon gasped again and Sungyeol looked at the carton milk with smile brightly, “It doesn't taste milk, Howon-ah.”

All of them widened their eyes dramatically.

“He’s sick.” Woohyun voiced out and all of them laugh again.

Sungyeol just pouted and continued drinking his banana milk.

“You don't drink milk?” Woohyun asked and Sungyeol nodded.

“I think I will make an exception for this. Actually, I really hate how milk smells, it's yuck—but, why this milk doesn’t taste like a milk, huh?”

Howon pretended that he wanted to throw up and Sunggyu continued laughing. Sungyeol continued, “And yes, I think I am falling in love already after seeing an angel.”

“Wow! Wow! An angel!” Woohyun also made the situation became more dramatic. Sungyeol rolled his eyes and his eyes caught something. That boy was eating bread with banana milk while writing something on his notebook not far from them, “The angel~” Sungyeol muttered.

All of them gasped, shocked, and their eyes scanned everywhere to find who was the angel Sungyeol meany.

“Who?” Sunggyu felt curious to know. Sungyeol gave a pointer to the beautiful boy eating bread and drink banana milk on a table whilst writing something.

“Myungsoo?” There was bitterness in Woohyun’s voice when Sungyeol gave the hint. He hoped he was wrong.

“His name is Myungsoo? What is his full name?” Sungyeol asked eagerly.

Woohyun scrunched his nose and shook his head, “Are you sure it was him? The one writing right now?” Sungyeol nodded quickly and grinned.

“His name is Kim Myungsoo, Woohyun's best friend.” Sunggyu added and grinned, “Hey, Hyun-ah, how about you help our new friend and your best friend to get to know each other? Who knows if they’re meant to be—” Sunggyu laughed and Howon nudged the blushing Sungyeol.

“Aigoo, you really easily fall in in love, Yeol.” Howon mocked him and Sungyeol just shrugged.

“Woohyun-ah, I’ll give you everything you want if you introduce me to your best friend,” Sungyeol wiggled his eyebrows for his request.

“But, I’m afraid that he—” Woohyun had not completed his sentences yet, but Sungyeol cut him. “Please~ pretty please.”

Woohyun sighed and nodded. “I’ll try.”  

 

***

 

“Myungsoo-ah,” Woohyun walked faster to catch Myungsoo who walked ahead of him while covering his ears with his headphone. He must have not heard that his name was being called few times. Seriously, it was awkward to face Myungsoo now but his friends wanted him to do a favor. He sighed silently, why among all of the people, why Kim Myungsoo?

He tapped Myungsoo’s shoulder and he caught his breath afterward. Myungsoo got startled seeing Woohyun behind him and took off his headphone.

“Yes, hyung?”

Woohyun was shocked for a bit when Myungsoo called him ‘hyung’. He never called him that even though he’s older than him a year, “Are you free now? Let’s talk.”

Myungsoo shakes his head. Together with Woohyun is the thing he needed to get avoid actually. Woohyun pleaded, “Please Myungsoo, I miss you, I miss hanging out with you.”

Myungsoo sighed and looked at Woohyun intensely. Why was this guy not concerned about his feeling?

“Okay, where do you want to go?”

“Follow me-” Woohyun pulled Myungsoo’s hand and this time he had an urge not to let his heart beating fast when Woohyun did that.

 

***

 

Myungsoo stared blankly at the sight in front of him and he kept yawning. He played with his glass and took a tissue to make swan origami while the others chat. He just laughed silently inside when he thought Woohyun wanted to hang out with him instead now he was with his friends as well. He yawned again and made an origami again to get rid his boredom.

“Hey, is this for me?!” Sungyeol squealed happily and took an origami from Myungsoo, “It's so cute!”

Sunggyu wrapped around Myungsoo’s shoulder, “Hey, Myung, are we too boring? Come on, smile for us a bit,” He pinched Myungsoo’s cheek and the latter had to give fake smile, “Yes, like that.”

Woohyun eyed Myungsoo and he felt sorry for tricking Myungsoo in here. He knew that silent boy didn’t like mix with many people and he ran out of idea when the others talked. Woohyun tried to make Myungsoo socialized but Myungsoo always ended up feeling that he didn't get along well with others.

“Can I get one?” Sungyeol tried to take Myungsoo attention as he scooted closer to Myungsoo. The latter just nodded his head awkwardly, “J-just take it.”

Howon nudged Sungyeol, “You are scaring him with your scary face. Behave a bit.”

Sungyeol just pouted lightly and slapped Howon’s shoulder, reminding him to not bother him and Myungsoo. They began to talk again but Sungyeol tried to find some topic to talk with Myungsoo.

“Your name is Myungsoo right?” Myungsoo looked at Sungyeol expressionless but nodded. He bit his lower lip and chapped his lip because he felt nervous when he had to face strangers, “Yes, I’m Myungsoo,” he answered shortly.

Sungyeol smiled by himself, the voice kinda soothing him.

“I am Sungyeol, Lee Sungyeol.”

“I know you are Sungyeol.” Sungyeol gasped and looked at Myungsoo. “How did you know it was my name?”

Myungsoo gave him a small smile, “Everyone in school knows you and I accidently know your name because of their gossip.” Sungyeol laughs afterward, “Wow, I am so famous I’m on gossip chat?”

“Yeah, they have been talking about how to stalk you like they’re already stalking  your friends.”

Sungyeol widened his eyes and shook his head in disbelief, “Really?! wow, hardcore gossipers.”

“Just be careful Sungyeol-ssi or your private things get invaded later.”

“Aww- look who’s been taking care of me,” Sungyeol and Myungsoo just laughed a bit.

“I am just warning you, Sungyeol-sshi. They can be harsh sometimes.”

“Are you one of the gossipers? Oh my god, am I too hot too resist?”

“No- its just-”

“I should look like a nerd- or look ugly a bit.” Sungyeol messed with his own hair and made derp face, and this time Myungsoo laughed harder until his eyes became smaller whilst his hand clapped. Sungyeol became fascinated with his beautiful deep dimple on his cheek and melodious laughs. Everyone also stopped their activity hearing his laughs.

“Who are having fun here?” Howon asked and look at them. Woohyun didn’t know why but there was anger tingling his heart, he never saw someone make Myungsoo laughed like that other than himself. His beautiful smile, only he could create for Myungsoo. He didn’t like that. Sunggyu seemed interested and scooted closer to Myungsoo.

“Yah Myungsoo, don’t greedy to hyung, you never laugh at my joke. This boy always making a joke, but he’s lame,” He blamed Sungyeol. Sungyeol blushed actually hearing Myungsoo laughed and he didn’t know why this time he fell harder.

“Yah hyung! My joke is not lame!”

“Sungyeol-sshi is funny,” Myungsoo replied with a shy smile and he took a glance to Woohyun. He smiled to him but Woohyun seemed didn’t have any fun with the conversation. Myungsoo thought; this is what Woohyun right? To get along well with others? What is wrong with him?

When they wanted to go back home, Sungyeol insisted on following Myungsoo but the younger refused and insisted that he could walk alone. The stubborn head Lee Sungyeol wouldn’t listen Myungsoo but he still trailed the younger walk back home. Woohyun had an urge to snap at Sungyeol to leave Myungsoo alone but he can’t voice that out. What is this feeling?

“Myungsoo-ah,” Sungyeol look at him when they reached Myungsoo’s house.

“Yes?”

“I like you. This is true, I never feel like this and when the first time I saw you, I feel like my eyes landed on you only.”

Time stopped for a while and it seemed like a Deja Vu. “I-Sungyeol-sshi- I-” Myungsoo stuttered and Sungyeol put his fingertip in front of Myungsoo’s lip.

“Don’t say anything and I don’t want to hear your answer yet. I know that I just know you but trust me that I will make you fall in love with me,” Sungyeol said with a determined voice.

“Why me?” Myungsoo seemed confused. “I mean, there are a lot more attractive people than me and I’m boring-”

Sungyeol hugged his body figured and Myungsoo froze at there. “Just trust me and can I make a request for you?”

“W-what?” Myungsoo still had not recovered from the shocking confession.

“Don't look at Woohyun. From now on, just look at me.”

Myungsoo widened his eyes.

 

Flashback

 

“Sungyeol-ah,” Woohyun tapped his shoulder when they both went to the toilet. They faced each other and Sungyeol blinked at him.

“Yes?” Sungyeol asked.

“Just stay away from Myungsoo if you are playing with his heart. I know the type of person like you, when you started to get bored of him, you will abandon him. You are the type like easily falling in love and you will find excuses to abandoned him and leaving him,” Woohyun glared at Sungyeol, “Stay the away from Myungsoo. I know all of these because Howon told me so, you changed partner every month and they had to mend their broken heart because of you.”

“Stop! You didn’t know anything about me.” Sungyeol grabbed his collar shirt and glared, “I know Myungsoo is different and you didn’t know what I will do to make him mine.”

“He didn’t like you. He never looked at you,” Woohyun smirked and pushed his body away from him. Sungyeol gritted his teeth and he wanted to punch his face, “Because of he likes me and he only loves me. I don't own him but I know his heart has not changed from loving me.”

“You bastard-” he wanted to punch Woohyun but he only fisted his hand to a ball afterward. He looked at Woohyun with a smirk.

“You don't know me, Nam Woohyun. I will make him forget you,” Sungyeol glared at him and walked away leaving Woohyun at there.  

 

 

Kim Myungsoo collided with Woohyun when he went to school and felt amused seeing him.

“Hi Myung,” Woohyun waved his hand slowly and smiled at him. Myungsoo just smiled a bit and they both walked together to go to school instead. But, both of them just remain silent and not utter a voice at all.

“Why does it feel awkward now?” Woohyun started first.

“Sorry if I make it awkward, I don’t have anything to talk about,” Myungsoo gave him apologetic smile and Woohyun just sighed.

“No, I make it so awkward. I want us to get along again.”

Myungsoo looked at Woohyun, “We’re already good friends.”

Woohyun draped his hand to Myungsoo’s shoulder intimately.

“We’re friends,” even Myungsoo’s heart got crushed into pieces, he had to show a smile to Woohyun. He needed Woohyun’s back for comfort. As he wanted to hug Woohyun's back, there was honk from a car.

“Hi, Myungsoo!” Sungyeol rolled down the mirror and waved his hand excitedly. There was  Howon inside the car, looking annoyed at Sungyeol.

“Come ride with us! We’re getting late go to school.”

Myungsoo and Woohyun looked at each other before Howon yelled, “Come inside fast before this choding whined like a - come on!” He screamed and both of them got in the car quickly. Sungyeol gripped the steering tightly before he drifted. All of them inside the car screamed the whole ride.

They arrived at school and Sungyeol quickly pulled Myungsoo’s hand to get out from his car. The latter still felt dizzy from the ride just so he could only follow Sungyeol.

“Let’s go, I'll treat you some breakfast. I still have not eaten~” he whined and before Woohyun came out to snap at Sungyeol, they already disappeared.

“Let's go, Hyun. What are you waiting for?” Howon stepped out the car while holding his breath, “Who allowed him to get a driving license? Ugh-” Howon hook his hand on Woohyun’s shoulder. Woohyun couldn't say anything further when they both decided to go to their class.

Woohyun noticed these days Myungsoo got attached to Sungyeol wherever they were going. Myungsoo replaced him with Sungyeol, he couldn't accept that. What was this feeling again? Jealousy? He must get rid of this feeling as soon as possible but it made it got worsen when they were having lunch together with Myungsoo. Since when Myungsoo was a member of this clique? It was not like he didn’t like Myungsoo hanging out with them, it was just he pissed off seeing Myungsoo getting closer to Sungyeol in front of him.

“I have something for you, hear this okay,” Sungyeol cleared his throat and continued what he wanted to show to Myungsoo.

When a man’s in love, he wants to stay by your side
There’s always so much he wants to do for you
When I’m in love, I want to give everything in my life to you
With just one expectation, your heart
When I’m in love


Myungsoo’s cheek getting redder and he became speechless when Sungyeol sang that part to him. Sunggyu and Howon who were talking to each other got shocked when Sungyeol acted like that.

“Woah! Since when you became like this, Yeol-ah!” Howon patted his back, impressed. Sungyeol laughed and took a glance at Myungsoo, “I- I just expressed what inside my heart.” Woohyun rolled his eyes and rose from the bench and took a leave without bothering to tell them. All of them were surprised with how Woohyun acted. Myungsoo looked at Woohyun with disappointment and worry at once. He excused himself to take care of Woohyun for a while.

“Woohyun-ah,” Myungsoo called Woohyun from behind and the latter turned his head look at Myungsoo. The wind gushing their hair and its just both of them under the tree. Woohyun just realized Myungsoo is really an angel with soft brown hair, beautiful eyes and cute pink lip that he felt an urge want to attach with him, “What's wrong?” Myungsoo asked with his worry eyes.

“You like Sungyeol?” Woohyun asked straight away.

Myungsoo took a breath and looked at Woohyun, “What if I like him?”

“You like me at first and now you like him?” Woohyun glared at Myungsoo. There was a smell of jealousy but Woohyun would never admit it.

“You like me as a friend. I have to respect your feeling. I want to give a chance to Sungyeol to prove himself if he wants me to fall in love with him,” Myungsoo answered honestly, “I can't forget you but I have to make our friendship remain longer. That  is what you want me to do right?”

Woohyun fell silent and he looked away.

“Woohyun-ah, tell me something to clear all of this,” Woohyun shook his head and just walked away, leaving a dumbfounded Myungsoo.

You will never know what inside my heart, Myungsoo-ah.

Myungsoo didn’t realize tears running down onto his cheek while he was looking at Woohyun’s back. He missed his warmth back and the slender neck belonging to Woohyun. Now, he knew Woohyun didn't need him anymore. He bit his lower lip to prevent himself from screaming out Woohyun’s name. Suddenly an arm wrapped his waist and a face attached to his back.

“Just look at me from now on, Myungsoo-ah. I promise that I will take care of your heart and everything. Please give me a chance and I will make you the happiest person on earth. That's my promise, Myungsoo-ah,” Sunfyeol voice wavered and got muffled on his back. Myungsoo closed his eyes and smiled a bit.  He turned around and hugged the tall boy.

“I-I will try to love you but please forgive me if I still love him. I need time to forget him,” He cried and Sungyeol kissed his tears away.

“As long as you with me, everything will be fine.”

Myungsoo felt comforted hearing those words.

 

I think of each memory that I should forget
Season after season
I want you back in my arms

Please don’t lose me
Like the spring wind that passed over me
Can you save, can you save me

Like the past scent of the many days
That passed over me
Can you save Can you save me

Don’t place me in time
Don’t try to reminisce me
Please please please
Don’t erase a single bit of me

Come back, I want you back back back back back
Back back back back back
Don’t place our memories in time

Come back, I want you back back back back back
Back back back back back
I’ll wait for you, as I remain here, turned around
I say save me