Six

Pieces of Papers from You

Chapter Six



 

    “Are you a fan of art?” Woohyun asked the petite female beside him, “Considering you’re in charge for this event.” 

    Sora tilted her head, as though she was thinking, “I used to paint when I was younger but I stopped.” 

    “Oh, why?” 

    She shrugged, “High school happened,” Sora let out a chuckle, “I got occupied and all. How about yourself?” 

    “No, not really, honestly.” Woohyun replied, “I don’t really get abstract paintings and all.” 

    Sora laughed, “Fair enough.” 

    Their conversation was interrupted when the crowd cheered, ending the auction successfully. Sora gave Minjae, who was looking at her with a broad smile a thumbs up, and clapped her hands along with the others. 

    “You know her?” Woohyun asked, leaning closer to Sora to overcome the sounds of clapping.

    Sora nodded, “She’s the head committee for this event, I should know her.” 

    “I see,” Woohyun said, “Anyway, what are we doing after this?” 

    “Are you trying to get some spoilers from me?” Sora playfully squinted her eyes at the male beside her. 

    Woohyun laughed and shrugged, “It seems so.” 

    “After this, we will be closing this year’s art festival by releasing paper lanterns that will be handed out to you shortly,” Minjae announced as though she hear Woohyun’s question, “Lastly, I would like to express my deepest gratitude to our sponsors, teachers, and everyone who has been involved in this. All of our profits will go to those in need. Once again, thank you and enjoy the rest of the night!” 

    “There goes your answer,” Sora said. 

    Minjae came shortly, and she was way calmer than Sora last saw her, “I really can’t believe I did this. I should really treat myself—“ Her gaze then landed on Woohyun, “Why the heck are you disturbing Sora? Are you flirting with her? Should I tell Younha?” 

    “That’s the first thing you say to me, Minjae? You should treat me better!” Woohyun scoffed. 

    “Oh no, we were just talking,” Sora calmed the two down and turned to Woohyun too, “But yeah, I don’t see Younha anywhere around? Where is she?” 

    The male looked rather perplexed and cleared his throat groggily, “Oh, she went back with her friends,” he reasoned, “She said it was too hot in here.” 

    Woohyun wasn’t completely lying, well, maybe half. Younha was with her friends, and she wanted Woohyun to meet them, but Woohyun told her he had to leave because he was going back with Sungyeol and that was a complete lie - because there he was, with Sora and Minjae. 

    “Sora, you want to start giving out the lanterns?” Minjae asked, as though she just remembered that they were in charge of this. 

    “Oh, sure,” Sora nodded and followed Minjae, “I’ll see you, Woohyun.” 

    “Actually, do you mind if I tag along you and help?” 

    Minjae looked at him suspiciously, “Since when do you help?” 

    Woohyun ignored her and Sora said, “Sure, if you don’t mind.” 

    When the three of them and a few of the other on-duty students finished handing out the lanterns, a third year prefect stepped up to the podium, “If you’ve received your lanterns, you can write your wishes on each sides and we will light it up together.” 

    Minjae immediately wrote down her wishes and hopes, while Sora was just staring awkwardly at the small lantern in her hand. She didn’t exactly like ‘publicizing’ her wishes and so, she preferred to just wait and chant her wish inside her heart. Without her knowledge, Woohyun was secretly glancing at her as he wrote down one simple wish: I hope the girl I fancy would lay her eyes on me. 

 

~*~

 

    Hundreds of tiny orange light decorated the clear sky that summer night. Sora gazed up with awe as she watched the lights from the lanterns getting further and dimmer. It was aesthetically pleasing in her eyes. 

    “And that wraps it all,” Minjae said quietly with her eyes still looking up. 

    When the lanterns were out of their sight, Sora tilted her head back down and realized that the basket ball court, which was filled with people ten minutes ago, were starting to get empty. She smiled and looked at Minjae. 

    “I told you we could do it.” 

    Minjae nodded and hugged her, “Couldn’t have done it without you.”     

    “Sora! We’ve been looking for you!” 

    The said female turned her body and saw Raina standing with Howon behind her. The tomboy rushed to her and swung her arms around Sora’s shoulder, while Woohyun and Howon started a conversation with each other. 

    “The prefect on duty has been very busy, huh?” Raina chuckled, chewing her gum. 

    Sora laughed, “Pretty much.” 

    “You did a great job!” Raina said and turned her attention to Minjae, “You too, Minjae! I’m Raina, by the way.” 

    Minjae grinned at Raina, loving how friendly she was, “Thank you! Nice meeting you, Raina.” 

    Sora chuckled at how well the two was going with each other, then she glanced at Woohyun who was staring at her too, raising his thumbs up. 

    “Me and Howon are going to get some food, do you guys wanna come?” Raina said. 

    “I’ll come for food!” Minjae answered immediately, “I'm starving.” 

    Sora chuckled, but she shook her head, “No, I have to get back home,” she told them apologetically, “Joonhyuk will be looking for me. It will be almost past midnight when I finish clearing everything up.” 

    Raina nodded her head, knowing how much of an overprotective brother Joonhyuk was, “Alright, I’ll see you on Monday then,” she said, “Woohyun, you coming with us?” 

    For a split of second Woohyun looked as if he was in a dilemma, but he eventually said, “I’ll just accompany Sora here and take her back home.” 

    The rest of them arched their eyebrows hearing Woohyun’s answer, and Minjae clicked her tongue, “What are you trying to prove Woohyun? That you are a gentleman?” 

    Woohyun squinted his eyes at him as if saying: I’ll deal with you after this. 

    After saying their goodbyes, Woohyun and Sora were left with a few other people on duty. Sora sighed and smiled kindly at Woohyun, “Thank you for accompanying me,” she said, “But really, you don’t have to do this. I’m used to all of it.” 

    Woohyun shrugged casually, “It’s fine, we’re going back to the same direction anyway.” 

    The two then started helping the other people on duty cleaning up the mess that was left after the festival. From picking up trashes, to throwing away posters, which promoted the event, that was stuck to the walls in the school’s hallway. As Sora had predicted, when they finished, it was already half an hour to one, and the area was deserted. 

    Sora’s cellphone rang when she and Woohyun were heading to the subway station. The female took out her phone and groaned when she looked at the contact name displayed on the screen. Nonetheless, she picked it up. 

    “What? I’m on my way home right now.” She barked.     

    “Don’t lie to me Sora,” Joonhyuk’s voice was filled with suspicion. 

    “I’m not geez,” Sora retorted, “I’ll see you at home in a bit.” 

    “Fine, just be careful.” 

    “I will, relax.” Sora said and hung up the call. 

    Woohyun chuckled, “Was that your brother?” 

    “Yeah,” Sora slipped an awkward smile, “See what I told you all.” 

    “I’ll honestly be worried too,” Woohyun said as they went down the subway station, “You know how dangerous it is walking at this time, especially that you’re a girl.” 

    Sora shrugged, “I know, but it’s not like I have any other choice.” 

    “You do,” Woohyun flashed his wide grin, “Just let me know if you need someone to accompany you, I’ll be there.” 

    Sora shook her head with a laugh, “Thanks Woohyun,” she said as they waited their train, “But I can take care of myself.” 

    “No, I don’t believe that, you never know what’s going to happen,” Woohyun told her in a more serious tone and took out his cellphone, “Here, give me your number.” 

    Sora clicked her tongue in amusement and took out her cellphone as well, “For the record, that was a smooth move, Nam Woohyun.”

    Woohyun tried to hide his bashful smile as he entered Sora’s number. Sora had never been romantically involved with guys, but she knew that Woohyun was obviously interested in her. And he didn’t seem like he wanted to hide that fact. 

 

~*~