Timeless

I Will Love You Again

A woman with a light blue checkered-dress swung open the doors to the club and walked through as if she owed the place. She was beautiful with her ash-blonde hair softly curled and cheeks blushed with a light pink, but those red lips made her whole outfit pop. Every man stopped what they were doing to gawk at the young thing clacking her heals through the crowded club. She had business to take care of with the owner thus ignoring the curious eyes of all the men wanting to talk to her.

“Kim Heechul get your out here!” The woman shouted at the club owner’s door.

The sound of a chair knocking over sounded before the door opened, “Yah what are you doing here?”

Walking in uninvited, the woman sat down on the chair across from the desk, “We need to talk.”

The man sighed but closed the door to block out the music in the main hall, “Noona...”

Holding up her finger, the woman hushed the man, “No. I gave you enough time.”

The man quickly went to his knees as if begging would change her mind, “Noona please! This club is my dream!”

She crossed her legs as she looked down at the man, “Three months behind on payments. I believe I helped you enough.”

“Noona don’t be so cruel to your hoobae.”

“Get up.” The woman said with an icy stare and the man immediately shot up, “I am bringing in a partner. Someone I trust to get me my money back and keep an eye on you. This investment will not fail.”

The man bit back his words as he nodded, “Yes mam.”

Standing, the woman opened the door to let another man in, “this is Changmin. All money will go through him until my investment doubles. Get to know each other.”

Heechul looked at the distinguished man wearing the pinstriped suit, more of a business man than a club owner, “I-Is it still my club?”

The woman stood up, “I own 80% so no. I only allow you to do the operations. Learn what you can from Changmin. He is highly educated unlike you.”

Heechul shivered from the woman’s stern approach and had no choice but to obey. She was after all, the richest woman in Gyeonggi-do. Most people in the 20th Century know her as Hananim-Kim meaning God, but historically she would be known as Kim Taeyeon.

“Changmin please keep a close eye on this sleazeball. I don’t want him stealing all my money when I have been so generous.”

Bowing 90 degrees, Changman gave his boss the respect she deserved, “Yes mam. Please believe in me.”

Patting the man on the back, Taeyeon smiled, “I do, why do you think I am giving you this important job.”

“I won’t fail you mam.”

Grinning, Taeyeon waved the two men goodbye, “See you soon boys.”

Swaying her way out of the club, Taeyeon was greeted by her secretary as she exited, “Ms. Kim you have 3 more appointments today.”

Holding up her hand, Taeyeon stopped her chatty secretary, “Seohyun stop. What time is it?”

Fumbling around with her papers, Seohyun turned her wrist over to look at her watch, “16 past 1pm.”

“Next meeting?”

“2:30pm mam.”

“Come on Seohyun we should go to the hotel and get lunch.” Taking the lead, Taeyeon beckoned her little secretary along.

“Should I get us transport?”

“No it is fine. Come on Seohyun. You will learn to like walking.” After all, Taeyeon was never in a hurry. With an endless lifetime ahead, Taeyeon knew it was better to enjoy her time than be like the rest of the Korean people who were always in a hurry. For someone who never dies or ages, Taeyeon didn’t need to quickly move ahead in life or rush through her day.

Living forever was something Taeyeon thought only existed in folk tales but nearly 1000 years ago, Taeyeon found out it happened to her. Something magical or mysterious happened after Sooyeon’s death.

Taeyeon woke up looking at the waterfall but her head didn’t hurt so she reached up to find no bump. In fact, her body felt light as if she woke up with a new body. One without scratches, pains or aches. Helping herself to stand, Taeyeon looked around aimlessly. How long was she sleeping? What was that wind that surrounded her? Where was Sooyeon?

Quickly Taeyeon looked at the place she buried Sooyeon, “What? Where did you go?”

Trying to dig up the grave with her hands, Taeyeon found nothing. On the verge of panic and tears, Taeyeon quickly went to dig around in other places, “I-I buried you here!”

Tired, Taeyeon gave up and looked at her bloodied hands but something amazing happened, they healed. Within minutes, her scratched and cut hands from the wood, disappeared. Running over to wash the blood off, Taeyeon went to the waterfall and dunked her hands in. With her hands cleaned, Taeyeon kept looking at her soft hands void of any blemishes, “W-what is happening?”

Sitting next to the waterfall, Taeyeon looked at her reflection thinking of the voice she heard before she passed out. “Day by day, love is eternal. Love can come again. Time will stop but when two hearts match, only then can you live again.” Taeyeon still didn’t know what that means or the reason why Sooyeon’s body disappeared. Indeed something strange transpired.

Taeyeon wanted to stay longer in the forest, but with her stomach grumbling, Taeyeon thought it was time to leave to find food. Of course there was the fear of the Chinese warriors, but Taeyeon couldn’t stay hiding forever.

Following a familiar path out of the forest, Taeyeon made her way back to Sooyeon’s home. It was still in ashes. Walking through the wreckage, Taeyeon came across a metal box that didn’t burn. Picking up the box, Taeyeon examined it closely trying to figure out how to open it. Looking around for something to break the lock, Taeyeon found some utensils to pry it open and to her surprise, it was filled with money and a seal of land ownership, “Oh my...” Knowing these were very important documents, Taeyeon made sure to pack these away with a few more items to take along with her on a journey to find Sooyeon’s parents. She didn’t know if they were alive or dead, but she need to find them.

Making her way to the back, the baskets were not burned. She rummaged around for a suitable one to take her recovered belongings. She marveled at Sooyeon’s work as her fingers skated across the bumpy weaves, “So talented.” Thinking it was a shame to let these pieces be abandoned, Taeyeon went around to find the most valuable pieces that were not too large and packed those away too. She couldn’t let Sooyeon’s legacy die.

Taking one last look at the house, Taeyeon left.

 

Her first stop was into town but she immediately stopped when Chinese soldiers surrounded the wall. Cautiously making her way closer, Taeyeon watched from afar. She didn’t see any of the villagers so she assumed the worst. They were all killed. Bringing her palm up to her face, Taeyeon silently cried for the loss of Sooyeon’s mother. It was if she lost her own mother at the time. Times were desperate and she thought time was not on her side to escape the Chinese so she ran. Running to the direction, Sooyeon’s father was headed for business, Taeyeon set off to find him.

Town after town, Taeyeon would ask every person if they saw a man selling large baskets. She was always pointed into a different direction. It would be months of traveling before a man claiming to be a good friend of Sooyeon’s father stated that he had returned to town upon hearing of the invading soldiers. Taeyeon concluded Sooyeon’s father was dead. Again, all she had was lost.

 

Taeyeon would spend several years since the death of her adopted family wondering how to live a life or find purpose. As she traveled around, Taeyeon would find out the reason the Tang Chinese warriors took over the city that was near Sooyeon’s home. It was actually the ruler of the Korean people who asked the Tang to help take over that area. The city was seeking separation from Korean monarchy and asked for their allies to help. What the king didn’t expect was that to occupy that area, many would die.

Fueled with anger, Taeyeon made a rash decision to try and assassinate the king. Things didn’t go well and guard stabbed her in the stomach. Most would expect this girl to die, but this was the moment Taeyeon found out she couldn’t. Her wounds healed and she continued to live in anger towards the king. Suddenly her life had purpose.  This anger was doused just as quickly and her purpose disappeared when he died a year later. Again, nothing to live for.

Taeyeon played around with her life and had several attempts to end it, but her immortality remained a constant.  When the new dynasty started, Taeyeon heard of the Korean males leaving their homes to join in the wars happening at the boarders. This was the first time that women in her country had to take over most of the economy. Amazingly, the women were able to boost the economy and build up revenue in their pockets. This is when Taeyeon found her worth. Having time to read books and travel, she became an amazing business woman. Starting her own gambling hall, Taeyeon made a lot of money in a short period of time, but this was short lived as people noticed she never aged.

Knowing she had to get away from these people, Taeyeon found herself back on the lands that belonged to Sooyeon’s family. Never once did she sell off the land or get rid of Sooyeon’s baskets during the past 50 years, yet when Taeyeon finally returned to the place where her world was turned upside down for the good and the bad, Taeyeon saw it transformed.

Taking the land ownership papers to the city council, she reclaimed the lands and sought to rebuild. Knowing she had a lifetime to build up business, Taeyeon chose to use the land that would give her wealth well into the future. With the money she used from the gambling house, Taeyeon invested into her land and surrounding areas to attract politicians and travelers to her town.

When General Yi traveled around the country to get from site to site or to travel, he always found himself going to the town Hanyang or basically the town Taeyeon owned. When General Yi became emperor of what is called the Joseon Dynasty, he moved the capitol to this location.

Taeyeon owned most of the lands to Hanyang and struck a deal with General Yi or Emperor Yi Seonggye to rent out her lands at a low fee for government offices but higher fees for general business. Although the business were not hers, Taeyeon made riches in the land she own below them.

Taeyeon would disappear during the Japanese occupation and Korean war to America and Europe and return to Korea as an unknown person. She couldn’t help the fact that she didn’t age but when a century of people died off, Taeyeon’s face was new to this generation. Now living in the First Republic of Korea, Taeyeon saw the potential for her country to increase economic growth and she aimed to take over the city once again. Although she thought it was absurd, she quickly gained the name Hananim-Kim for her wealth and business tact.

Taeyeon was in a country rebuilding itself after war and Taeyeon was setting herself up to be the driving force of a new born Korea. Living her life with a purpose would provide the distraction she needed from bouts of depression over her life, but every now and then, the woven baskets she kept at her bedside would keep her company. Sooyeon’s face is now forgotten but the feeling of the love she had for her, did not die.

 

“Who am I meeting now?”

“A high ranking officer to President Syngman Rhee”

Taeyeon sighed, “Why so many politicians these days?”

“From what I know, the President has strong eyes set on you and your ownership of the lands he wants to set a permanent capitol.”

Taeyeon smiled, “You know Seohyun you are a very useful spy.”

“That is not true mam. I would say Changmin has told me a lot of what goes on in the presidential cabinets. I thought he was very high rank, why did he leave to help you?”

Taeyeon shrugged, “I gave him a better offer. Nothing to it Seohyun.  Even politicians can be reduced to businessmen at the end of the day. I see you are taking over Changmin’s position very well.”

“Oh no mam...Changmin is a genius. I could never take over for him.”

“I think you will do fine. I need Changmin to be my eyes and ears in that club. Heechul is just a stupid chimp that doesn’t know I am using him and his club. That place attracts all the big and powerful men in this town. Blackmail is the currency of this era. Seohyun you will soon know so many secrets that this town could be in the palm of your hands.” Taeyeon goes on to explain the importance of knowing secrets. One would say this tactic is cruel and immoral, but Taeyeon couldn’t remain the innocent runaway she once was. This world was not fair or running on moralities. You needed to overtake your enemies and that was what Taeyeon was going to do. If the president wanted her lands, he would be taken out because at the end of the day, Taeyeon needed to keep her business strong.

"Oh Miss Kim!"

A rather bulky man approached their table as he was adorned in a military uniform. Reaching out to shake Taeyeon's hand, she reciprocated, "please sit down General Lee."

The man was all smiles as he took his seat but before they could talk business, the man was rather brash when he called over the waiter and ordered food, of course on Taeyeon's tab, "well well Miss Kim you have kept me waiting a long to to have this meeting. I feel honored to be in your presence finally."

Taeyeon scoffed as she sipped her tea, "what can I say? I hardly stop working these days."

Seoyeon on the other hand bit her lip trying not to correct her boss who made her do most of the business work while she chose to laze around the home most days. Almost as if time eluded the woman.

"I see, well we should get down to business. We have a lot to dis – "

Taeyeon held up her hand to stop him from talking, "business can wait a bit. I can see the food is coming."

Looking over his shoulder, sure enough Taeyeon's food was coming, but not his, "Oh I didn't realize you ordered before me."

Taeyeon knew the owner of the place and asked to be served as a distraction, "If you don't mind, I would like to enjoy my lunch without upset."

The man didn't know what to say as Taeyeon dug into her meal, elegantly of course. Instead, Seohyun took over the talking whilst her boss enjoyed the meal in front of her.

"As you see general these are the documents solidifying our land to be in ownership of Miss Kim; Grandfathered into her estate from the Jung family. Although the Jung family is long since deceased, these lands can and never will be government owned due to the referendum that prevents land loss to the descendant if the land was owned by a deceased relative. You see general, Miss Kim here wants to state clearly to your boss that she will never let these lands be owned by him."

The general was in awe at the two women. Taeyeon continued to enjoy her meal while the secretary told him off. Being a prideful man, he was not one to stand here and take such insult, "You see here Miss Kim! How can you say you own land that belongs to your nation! Take pride in your country and show your respect by turning them over to the rightful owner!"

Taeyeon looked up at the man with disgust, "Who are you to say that? I thought Korea belonged to the people? It seems you and your president want to become king, but how could two men not delegated by God be called as such?"

The man now red with anger threw his napkin on the ground, "H-how can you! You are going to regret this! That land is the nation's land and not yours!"

Taeyeon wiped her face gently with the tip of her napkin, "if that is the case, I will see you in court general, but that is only after you and president Rhee become ruler of this whole nation, but in doing so, you will be denouncing our new right as the people who rule the lands. I find this nation as a democracy very interesting concept. The people owning a nation is very interesting indeed, yet you stand here saying Korea is nothing more than land owned by one. Monarchy sure has not died, but has come again in a new name."

With no words left to express himself, the general said no more and left the building.

Seohyun quickly turned to her boss with open in astonishment, "Wow. How could you tell him as a man....wow you are amazing!"

Taeyeon smiled to herself, "Seohyun it is not good to be bullied around even once. Show your weakness and they will find more cracks to infiltrate. Sure President Rhee is powerful, but not as much as he believes to be." Taking her things, Taeyeon stood up, "Come on Seohyun, I would like to have a nap."

Seohyun laughed a bit behind her boss. How could her boss go from powerful business owner to cute in a few minutes? Catering to this woman was proving to be an enjoyable employment thus far.

Making their way out of the building, Taeyeon yawned and stretched with the morning sun giving warming rays of light, "beautiful day. I think a nap in the foyer would be nice."

Seohyun hurried up to catch up to her boss, "mam is there something you need to be done before dinner?"

"No no. I will go off by myself so you can enjoy the day as you see fit."

"Oh Miss Kim you have a scheduled dinner at 7pm. Changmin said you are to see an old friend. Should I come fetch you at that time?"

Taeyeon stopped walking to think which friend it was, "is the appointment at Namman Hotel?"

"Yes mam."

Smiling to herself, "Seohyun take the day off. That appointment is a private occasion."

"Yes mam." Seohyun stopped as the two approached Taeyeon's estate, "See you in the midday tomorrow. Enjoy your rest."

Taeyeon unlocked her gates, "Yes. Safe travels Seohyun."

After bidding her secretary away, Taeyeon took out her keys to open the luxurious estate. Nearly 1000 years ago, Taeyeon would have never expected her homeless self to move into such a place. Although Taeyeon didn’t want to be greedy and have a grand home, Taeyeon thought she should have a home that she could spend the rest of her life in so she custom built the whole building. It was a 3 level home that Taeyeon changed the exterior to blend in with the changing times. As of now, no one would be any wiser to whether this was someone’s house as it looked like any condominium in the neighborhood. Taeyeon was always careful not to attract too much attention to her personal life and well her very big secret.

Dropping her keys in the bowl at the door, Taeyeon smiled to herself as she examined the rows of woven sedge. Making her way past some very expensive paintings in the foyer, Taeyeon entered the main room that was adorned with trinkets that reminded her of her home. She had paintings, calligraphy and artifacts dating a 1000 years although there was her modern furniture and a new TV.

Taeyeon wanted to take a nap so she chose not to turn on the TV to relax, but she went to the glass doors that led into her sunroom. Kicking off her slippers, Taeyeon slid into her recliner and let her muscles sink into the cushions. Feeling the warming rays of the sun above, Taeyeon quickly went into a deep sleep.

When the phone started ringing, Taeyeon finally stirred from her sleep. She rubbed her eyes in the dark and quickly reached to turn on a light as the sky was now dark. Reaching around, Taeyeon answered the phone, “Yes?”

“Ah Miss Kim I called in case you haven’t woke up from your nap. You have your dinner planned in an hour.”

Taeyeon smiled, “Thank you Seohyun for the wakeup call. I will be on my way out.”

Hanging up the phone, Taeyeon stretched and let out a loud yawn. She wanted to stay there and continue sleeping but she didn’t want to let her dear friend wait too long so she shuffled her way to the bathroom.

Looking at her makeup, Taeyeon only made a few touchups before grabbing her jacket to head out. Although it was night, the air hadn’t cooled much since midday making Taeyeon smile to herself. She loved the upcoming summer weather where she could go out at night and have the temperature be the same as midday.

Knowing the place she was going to was a long walk, Taeyeon chose to call upon a taxi to take her to the hotel. She may have all the time in the world to make it to one destination to another, but her friend did not and they had reservations.

It was nearly over half-an-hour until the driver pulled up to the hotel and the valet opened her door. She handed a few bills over to the driver before getting out and heading to the main dining room.

“I have a reservation for Lee Soo Man.”

The host looked through the books before nodding, “This way mam. Your company has already arrived.”

Taeyeon knew her companion would be there long before her as he didn’t like being late. Seeing his graying hair, Taeyeon knew this was a much older man than what she once remembered.

“How can such a young boy grow a beard?”

The man quickly turned around to see his dear friend, “What would a young woman be doing keeping such an old man company this evening?”

Taeyeon laughed, “Should this young woman request you use formalities?”

“Oh someone is bitter, but if I must use formalities on my elder...”

Taeyeon quickly wrapped the man in a big hug, “Soo Man I missed you.”

The older male smiled broadly, “Me too. Come sit down.”

Taeyeon pulled up to the table and leaned forward, “Why are you in the area? I thought the North is your new home.”

The male gave a hearty laugh, “We promised to meet every 20 years so here I am.”

Taeyeon observed the man that was nearing his 70s, “you came with more wrinkles than I remembered.”

Rubbing his face, the man kept smiling, “Some of us don’t have a fountain of youth.”

Taeyeon crossed her legs, “would you say not aging is a blessing or curse?”

The man ordered some coffee and green tea for Taeyeon, “It would be nice to see my grandchildren grow up but I already know your answer. Yet here you are meeting this old man with all smiles.”

Taeyeon sighed as she looked at the man in front of her, “Getting to see you turn from boy to man is interesting. Who knew that cute kid would be having a family of his own…soon you will be gone.”

Giving her a gentle smile the man reached forward to take Taeyeon’s hand, “Taeyeon I know this could be our last meeting but I must say even as a boy, I knew you would use this blessing to do great things. I am thankful that you took me in as a young child and trusted your secret to me for all these years.”

“Soo Man…don’t say that…don’t give me your goodbyes now.” Taeyeon started tearing up at the thought of another dear friend of hers is getting ready to move on. In the past Taeyeon would get angry and yell to the skies for giving her such a painful curse but it was useless. Over the years she would gain great friendships and they would all disappear. She would watch many friends fall ill and die but never did the pain in her heart dull from the sight of her friends leaving her one by one.

“Taeyeon I know you have some younger friends now and I know one of them will take care of you into the next century. You don’t need my help anymore and I am grateful for all the things you did for my family over the years.”

Taeyeon wiped away her tears, “I will continue to take care of them…”

Smiling, Soo Man patted his hand on Taeyeon’s, “I know you will. It gives me relief knowing I have someone to look after my loved ones for a lifetime.”

“How can I not? You have helped me more ways I can count. Having a never aging face would have caused more suspicions if you didn’t help me out.”

 “Taeyeon you taught me everything. I think you know how to take care of yourself and escape curious eyes. Having learned many things over a span of 1000 years, you will always be regarded as the smartest person I know. Please pass on your knowledge generation to generation. That is the one gift you can give me even after I move on.”

Taeyeon gave the man a bitter smile, “Always.”

Standing up, Soo Man took his jacket, “It is a long way home. I am not as young as I used to be to spend hours upon hours talking to you.”

Taeyeon quickly jumped up to help the man, “I will come to the north soon. I promise.”

“Oh Taeyeon  you don’t need to. Even if we don’t meet again, we have created so many memories together already.”

“Don’t say that. I want to see you and see what a wonderful family you have.”

“That would be nice. Make sure to bring alcohol. I don’t know why but my daughters can all out drink me.”

Taeyeon laughed happily, “I doubt they can out drink the master.”

“Well you have a body of a 20 year old and a mind of an elder, you are made to be a great drinker.”

Taeyeon could help but find the man’s humor funny, “Safe travels. I will find my way to you soon.”

“Yes yes. Bye.”

Taeyeon watched the man leave with a heavy heart. Knowing the man paid for her tea, Taeyeon sat back into her seat to relax and finish her beverage. She thought of grabbing the paper to read but decided against it to relieve certain memories in her life. Memories of friends found and lost filled her mind so much so that she thought she even heard Sooyeon’s voice. Taeyeon laughed bitterly, “Sooyeon…somehow I know you started this curse but now you even pain my heart with the thought your voice?” Taeyeon took another sip of her tea but there it was again, Sooyeon’s voice.

Taeyeon stood up quickly to look around but she didn’t see anything, “Am I imagining?”

Just as Taeyeon was to sit down again, there it was, clear as day, Sooyeon’s laughter. Carefully looking around the hotel’s dining room, Taeyeon scanned until she saw her, “Sooyeon…”

 

 

 

 


Author's Note

I really tried getting this chapter to you readers earlier but I failed...So I tried even harder to get this to you before the weekend. I have a long weekend cause it is the holidays ^^

Thank you for all the new readers! I am getting 100 new subscribers every chapter so that is amazing!! Almost to 300 subs *author does happy dance*