The Beginning

I Will Love You Again

Everyone has a story to tell. Whether the story is long or not doesn’t dictate if that this story is any less significant than another. To every person, their story is the most important because it is theirs. They are the only ones that can share the story and that makes it special. While all other stories have a beginning and an ending, mine only has beginning because my ending will never come. It doesn’t matter if there is no ending because that means that I have all the time in the world to find you again and again and again. With no ending, our love will never die.

 

“Taeyeon! Taeyeon!” The young girl turned around to see her friend Soon-kyu running up to her, “Where are you going?”

Turning around, Taeyeon faced her friend who caught up to her, “I have something to do.”

“We can’t go away from the group. Leave home as a group, go to prepping and then go home as a group. You know the rules.”

Taeyeon rolled her eyes, “I know but I have things to do and it doesn’t matter. She won’t know if I am gone for a few more hours.”

Soon-kyu looked down at Taeyeon’s dress that covered the fresh bruise on Taeyeon’s thigh, “She will...I don’t want to see...”

“Don’t worry. I will return before she notices.”

Looking into Taeyeon’s eyes, Soon-kyu knew Taeyeon was telling a lie, but at the same time, she could see Taeyeon’s fearlessness, “B-be careful then.”

Flashing her friend a reassuring smile, Taeyeon nodded, “Thank you.”

Skipping around the town, Taeyeon zig and zagged through the crowd of people selling, washing and playing in the narrow streets. She ventured off far from her prepping school toward the outskirts of the town. Coming up to a larger home, Taeyeon stopped at the gates until the caretaker spotted the girl, “Ah Taeyeon-shi come in.” Swinging open the gate, Taeyeon entered the grounds of the nobleman’s home, “You are right on time.”

“I ran as fast as I could to get here.”

“It is no problem. The master will be gone for a few more hours so you have enough time to do your work.”

“Thank you uncle. I mean really thank you I am in desperate need for the money.”

“I know your family situation so I am happy I can be of help. Now go and get the laundry finished before the master arrives back.”

After bowing several times to the elder man, Taeyeon ran off to the back of the house where a fresh set of laundry to be washed and dried awaited. Taking the luxurious fabric in her hands, Taeyeon marveled at the softness of cottons and silks, such materials she never thought she could have in her lifetime. As she had been doing fo the past month, Taeyeon took a bucket to fill her water basin. The backbreaking work was hard at first due to her small stature, but week after week Taeyeon got stronger and her hands pruned less and less.

During the day, Taeyeon was prepped into learning wifely duties but here at night, she was doing the wifely duties for a family who could afford another to do so. She wished she had enough money where these jobs could be paid off to another. Maybe that is the only way to avoid getting married and relying on a man for livelihood. Yet, during this day in age, what was a woman to expect? To live, you needed a man.

Scrubbing cloth after cloth, Taeyeon lost herself in thoughts of adventure and escape. More than anything she wanted to escape.

“Taeyeon, Taeyeon are you finished? It is getting dark.”

Pinning her last silk robe to the drying line, Taeyeon wiped her hands on her dress , “Yes uncle I am.”

Holding out two coins, Taeyeon bowed as she took her payment for the day, “Will I see you tomorrow?”

“Yes. Of course.”

“Ok but I can only promise you work here for another week. The master will be marrying off his daughter so I can’t have you around anymore with her return.”

“I understand uncle. It is fine. Thank you so much for your kindness.”

“Take care and see you tomorrow.”

“Yes thank you!” Taking her working apron off, Taeyeon ran off back into the town. She tried to be quick to get home before the sun set completely. Watching the sky, Taeyeon guessed that her mother was close to being home by now and she must hurry. With her eyes to the sky, Taeyeon didn’t see the rock that made her stumble and land onto her hands, “Ah....ouch.”

Wiping her hands, Taeyeon groaned in pain at the fresh wound but she didn’t have time to sit around crying so she wiped her hands together and went back to running home.

 

The door creaked open slightly and a petite girl looked through. She sighed in relief noticing no one was home so she slipped off her shoes and went inside, “You little! How dare you come home so late?!” The smaller girl winced in pain as a broom wacked her in the head over and over again, “You should be glad your father isn’t home!”

“Mama please! I was studying I promise!”

“Don’t lie to me Kim Taeyeon! I know you were out causing mischief.”

Taeyeon held in her tears at the broom continued to hit her, “I w-was...not.”

Tired from swinging the broom, the older woman huffed in defeat, “show me your hands.” Taeyeon looked up in fear as the woman continued to stand over her with anger, “I said show them to me.”

Taeyeon gulped as she opened her hands that were covered in dirt, “Mama...”

Taking the end of the broom stick, the woman rapped them on the girls hands till they turned red, “How dare you lie to me!”

“Mama...” The girl cried still kneeling on the ground afraid to move.

“I feed you, I clothe you and put a roof over your head and this is how you repay my kindness? How am I ever going to find a good husband for you? J-just get out of my sight.”

Taeyeon didn’t need to be told twice as she grabbed the bottom of her dress and headed to the vacant room. She took her sleeping mat and rolled it out before curling into a ball to cry away the pain. Taeyeon wondered how she could even feel the sting in her hands after being beaten so many times with that broom.

After a while the pain dulled and Taeyeon stopped her tears. Reaching into her pocket she pulled out a few coins and stared at them cheerfully, “one day.” Taeyeon quickly stuffed the coins into a slight tear she had in her sleeping mat before closing her eyes. Yes the young girl will get punished day after day for coming home late, but even looking back now, that pain was worth it. Every cent gained from working odd jobs was needed.

 

 

As the week went on, Taeyeon finished her work at the nobleman’s house just in time for her mother to give an announcement, “Taeyeon I have a match for you.” Eyes shot up to look her mother in the eyes. Although she was upset and angry, Taeyeon bit her tongue, “He is a farmer. You will meet him tomorrow. I am warning you now girl to behave.”

Looking down at her hands, Taeyeon silently calculated how much money she accumulated over the years. Could she leave tomorrow and be okay? She had enough for a while but would it be enough to survive?

“I have your dress here that you will wear. Treat him well. I didn’t pay for that training for you to mess up your first matchmaking.”

“Mam?” Taeyeon whispered hesitantly.

Eyes shot down to the girl kneeling in front of her, “What is it.”

“May I ask the family name and...and age?”

“Eldest of the Lee family. Born year of the dog.”

Taeyeon thought about it for a while. If it was the Lee family and year of the dog, that means...he is 30 years her elder. This is insane. Her life was just beginning at age 13 and he was already going towards his death after 40 years. How could she marry such an old man? Is this what her mother wants? To sell her daughter away and hope that he keels over for her mother to come and collect the farm? That would give her mother a steady income and much more money than the shop her father left them before his death.

“Come home immediately after classes. I will be waiting for you.”

“Yes mam.” Although Taeyeon’s thoughts remained on the best time to escape. Did she really have that much time left? No matter the time, Taeyeon had to plan her next move first. Even if she didn’t want to face the farmer, Taeyeon had to. She still hoped for the moon to slow its orbit so she could find a way to escape.

 

“Rumor is the Lee family has interest in you.”

Taeyeon sighed as Soon-kyu rehashed the latest news she despised, “yea...I am meeting with him after class.”

“That is good. I heard he owns a lot of land. You and your mom could live comfortably with him.”

Taeyeon looked up to meet her friend’s eyes, “How do you not see how wrong this is?”

Tilting her head to the side, Soon-kyu was like a lost chick, “Wrong?”

“Yea! Having a man doesn’t bring happiness. How could it?  The eldest son could be my father and yet he wants me? What interests could we share or what satisfaction could I get from him other than the guarantee of a meal by the end of the day.”

“What is wrong with you? We are here to serve men. If a man accepts our proposal for marriage, we did our best. Then it is our duty to serve him.”

Taeyeon wanted to pull her hair out. How could Soon-kyu believe these ideas? Or does Taeyeon really see the world differently than all of her peers? Either way, Taeyeon could see that staying in this town would only corrupt her mind more. Waiting to get extra money was not an option anymore. Tonight. She had to take her things and climb the city walls tonight.

“Taeyeon do not live in your fantasies when you have a great man willing to give you a comfortable life.”

“What if this comfort is the one thing that I find uncomfortable?”

“I do not understand.”

Reaching to pat her friend on the back, Taeyeon shook her head, “I don’t expect you to. We live with two different ideals. I wish you the best in finding a man like Mr. Lee.”

Without words to convince her friend otherwise, Taeyeon did what was best, and that was to just walk away.

 

As a dutiful daughter, Taeyeon put on her best dress, her mother tied her hair into the beautiful knot and even helped apply some powder to her flawless face. Taeyeon bowed with her knees to the ground and used formal language when spoken to because that was what she was taught to do. Every action and word were orchestrated into some grand gesture to assure favor of a potential mate.

In reality, his jokes were not funny, his mannerisms were bothersome and his eyes were laying on her body and not her eyes. It was clear that he could do or say anything because it wasn’t the person that made the man, it was his belongings. Taeyeon’s mother heard how many acres he owned, how many animals he tended and how fruitful his farm was instead of his crude jokes and informal tone.

Taeyeon knew that after this marriage, she was only going to be this man’s .

“Taeyeon do you have anything to say?”

Taeyeon refocused her gaze to the barbaric man and then back to her mother who demanded an answer, “No mam.”

“Taeyeon,” her mother said her name harshly, “he wants an answer.”

She wasn’t listen so she assumed there was only one answer all of them wanted her to say, “Y-yes?”

Her mother’s mood brightened on the answer so she assumed it was a good one to give, “It is settled then. Next week you will both wed!” Never mind, Taeyeon gave the one answer she didn’t agree with.

“M-marriage?! Already?”

Glaring once at her daughter to shut it, “I said it was settled.”

Taeyeon closed and deafened her ears to her mate and her mother hash out the details. Was she really just a puppet in this cruel fate? No she doesn’t have to be because the way she saw it, Taeyeon was just starting her fate.

Seeing her mother stand, Taeyeon followed suit as Mr. Lee walked near the door, “Thank you sir for accepting my daughter.”

his lips like he caught a wonderful meal, Mr. Lee snorted as he breathed in heavily, “It would be a waste if a beautiful face like that would go to someone less than me.”

He was so cocky.

“Yes yes that is why I chose you out of all the possible suiters. Your qualities are much more superior than anyone else in this town.”

Laughing at his victory, “Yes I am.”

Hoping for this man to leave sooner, Taeyeon went back to her knees to bow, “Thank you for your time.”

Bowing to match her daughter, Taeyeon’s mom also gave her thanks but there he remained standing tall. What horrible manners, “A week. I will see you again.”

Quickly standing up to see the man out, Taeyeon watched her mother grovel at his feet. Taeyeon was sure that there was no way that she was worse than the dirt at that man’s feet.

“Taeyeon quickly take that dress off. We can’t have it wrinkle.”

“Yes mam.”

“Quickly clean this mess up. I am going to wash for bed.”

“Yes mam.”

Watching her daughter being compliant, Taeyeon’s mother had no other complaints or reasons to reach for the broom for punishment and left to the bedroom.

Sighing, Taeyeon went to her wardrobe to change into her sleepwear. Peeking over to her mother’s sleeping quarters, she noticed the light was already off so she carefully packed away the leftover food for her to take. Her dress was also packed away and not folded into to her wardrobe. Careful to turn off the lights, Taeyeon reached into her sleeping mat and pulled out all her coins before pulling her working dress over her sleeping undergarments. Once again, Taeyeon glanced at her mother’s room before slipping out the front door.

Smelling the cool night air, Taeyeon’s stomach turned to the thought of freedom and fear mixed into one. In a world not made for women to survive alone, Taeyeon looked ahead into the darkness ready to prove her whole nation wrong.

 

With it being well past curfew, Taeyeon watched the guards at the door of the wall that protected their city. It was impossible to get past them at night when the security was more intense to ward off invaders. Taeyeon wondered if it would be ok to wait out the night near the wall or if it was too risky and her mother would already be out looking for her when it was time for the gates to open.

Having no other option at the moment, Taeyeon walked around the wall and hoped for some other tradesman created their secret entrance into the city. Slowly, Taeyeon walked the boarder of the wall and kicked the stone as she passed. The city was huge and there was a very big possibility that there wasn’t a clever way to escape without detection. Nonetheless, Taeyeon continued to tap her toes on the stone wall.

Taeyeon breathed in a heavy sigh as her efforts were bringing her no results. Stopping abruptly, Taeyeon looked up into the night sky that was only illuminated by the moon, “Is this where you want to confine me? Is there really no other life for me?” Taeyeon knew she was speaking to no one but she thought there could have been a higher being that might take pity on her.

Just then, Taeyeon looked down and saw a crack in the wall. Bending down to observe the fracture a bit closer, Taeyeon pushed on the crack and it got bigger, “I wonder if it will break if I hit it with something?”

Dropping her pack, Taeyeon rushed off to find an object to hit the wall with. It wasn’t hard to find a larger rock that she used to hit the wall harder and harder until the fracture turned into a hole. Bending down onto her stomach, Taeyeon looked through the hole and saw an empty field. Perfect. Taking the rock once again, Taeyeon continued to prod at the wall until the hole was big enough to squeeze her body through.

Although sweaty and fatigued, Taeyeon smiled happily when her body slipped through the confines of her city. Looking at the wall from the other side, Taeyeon reached up to touch it, “I hope we never have to see each other again.”

Grabbing her pack, Taeyeon dashed off into the night. Knowing the dangers of living outside of the wall, Taeyeon tried to be cautious of her surroundings. Although the grass was long in the fields that surrounded her nation, Taeyeon knew that staying in the open like this could be very dangerous to spend the night.

With little sleep and an empty stomach, Taeyeon did her best to find a wooded area to rest. Using the moon as a guide, Taeyeon guessed she was following the direction east towards a city she knew to be close. If she could get to that city, she could buy a decent meal and find a comfortable place to rest for the next night. Still being alone as a woman, would be difficult to travel. Why would a woman travel without a man? Seems suspicious.

Trudging through the fields, Taeyeon walked until her calves and thighs burned. She was panting and wanted to give up several times through the journey as the sky turned from black to a hazy orange she knew she was going the right way. Walking towards the rising sun, Taeyeon knew she had to rest soon so she collapsed into the grass. Guessing she was in the middle of nowhere, Taeyeon closed her eyes for a bit and let the warmth of the morning sun settle over her body.

Taeyeon didn’t know how long she had been out but a violent shake woke her up, “Boss we have another that got away!”

“W-what?”

A man on a horse came riding up next to Taeyeon, “Humm her clothes are a bit different...throw her with the other girls.”

Quickly grabbing her pack, Taeyeon was pulled to a cage filled with other girls around her age, “Get in!”

Taeyeon watched as the iron door closed behind her wondering what the hell was happening. The other women looked like they already gave up the fight and were subjecting to their captors, “excuse me but what is happening?”

All the girls looked at Taeyeon but none answered.

“Please tell me...I don’t belong here.”

Finally one girl had the courage to speak, “None of us do. We were all farm girls taken from our homes.”

“W-where are we being taken?”

“I heard them say Baekje...we are to be sold as slaves.”

Taeyeon’s eyes widened, “But I am not a slave...I have a family and I am not poor.”

The one girl took ahold of Taeyeon, “keep quiet. Don’t let them notice you.”

Gripping onto her pack tightly, Taeyeon buried her head into the soft sheets wondering if her life was to remained cursed. First she was enslaved by her mother but now she was to be sold off as a slave. Taeyeon didn’t know which was worse.

 

 

 

 

 


Author's Note

Official first chapter is finally out! 

Since I decided to put this into a contest, I have about 5 chapters to finish by August. Contests make me work harder so this story will be well taken care of so I hope you can give this story a lot of love. :) :)