HOLDING HANDS

THE FIVE ROYAL CANDIDATES

EMPRESS DARA'S P.O.V 

When I was a little girl, whenever I was scared, my father would hold my hand. He would smile at me and tell me to breathe deeply for three times. Oh, how I wish my father was here today to hold my hand. I wish he could hold my hand as I run from gang members. As of right now, I only have this stranger holding my hand as we run away from danger. 

FLASHBACK: 

(EIGHT HOURS AGO)

"Hello?" I answered my phone. Only a few people--trusted people--know my number, so I didn't bother looking at the caller ID. 

"Dara?" it was my cousin, Bom. 

"Yes?" I answered while picking an outfit for tomorrow's engagement. Tomorrow, I have to deliver a speech in front of hundreds of people to promote the grand opening of a new school. 

"Dara, you should be here. The food is excellent." she sounded excited. Of course, she would be excited when it comes to food. 

"Unnie, you're in Busan. The food there is always excellent." I giggled as I fished out a white dress out of the wardrobe. Nah. Too white. 

"Dara, the snow crabs are delicious! The sushi is so fresh and the people are so happy!" 

"Unnie, you're in there to promote tourism. You should enjoy the food and the sights okay? You're my representative. Please do a good job." I was using my royal voice now. 

"Of course, your majesty. I shall do as you have commanded." she teased. 

"Well, Your Royal Highness, Princess Bom, don't eat too much because you're going to feel lethargic afterwards. I know you too well." I chuckled. 

"You're right." she stopped chewing and I waited for her. "It's your day off. What are you doing in the meantime?" 

"Nothing. I'm in my closet and I'm looking for some clothes I could wear for tomorrow's engagement." 

"You have a stylist. They can do that themselves. Get out of the palace and enjoy your youth." I stopped rummaging through my clothes and I sat down on a nearby couch. 

"And what do you suggest I do?" I raised my feet up and rested my feet on the foot rest. 

"I don't know... go clubbing, go to dates, get to know your candidates." 

"Speaking of candidates, I haven't even met the last one. I heard from Yang that he arrived in Korea last Tuesday. You know what, I'll sneak out of the palace." 

"Yeah right." she snorted. 

"What? You think I can't do it?" I was hurt a little--not really. 

"Dara, not to rain down on your parade, but you're not exactly the most daring person out there." 

"Oh, my dear cousin, I've got tricks under my sleeves that only the Empress can do. Anyways, I'll call you later on what I did ok? Thanks!" 

"DARA! WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO?" I hung up. 

I stood up and went to the casual side of my closet. I smirked when I saw the perfect outfit for a spontaneous outing. 

PRINCESS BOM'S P.O.V 

Oh crap! What have I done? But I think she needs this anyways. Get out of your comfort zone Dara. This is what you should be doing instead of drafting and reading bills and other government-related things. 

"Your highness, here is your snow crabs." my attendant announced and I saw the freshly steamed snow crabs. 

"Yum!" 

NARRATOR'S P.O.V 

"Yang?" The empress called out to her secretary and he immediately went inside her lounge room. 

"Yes, your majesty?" he asked. 

"I am feeling tired. I think the royal visit has finally taken its toll on my endurance." she feigned a yawn. 

"Did you want me to ask for herbal teas or food to rejuvenate your strength?" 

"No, I'll be in my room catching up on my sleep. Just deliver my dinner here in an hour." 

"Yes, your majesty." 

An hour passed and the food was delivered as directed. She ate them and excused her attendants afterwards. 

"I need to eat anyways. Seoul, here I come." 

She removed her robes and looked at herself in the mirror. White shirt, denim pants, and grey sneakers shoes. A simple style is fit for an outing if she didn't want the paparazzi to follow her. She got a watch, earrings, and her diamond crucifix, given to her by her grandmother, the Grand Empress Dowager. 

Afterwards, she approached her hidden door and was about to sneak out when she remembered to bring her car keys and her purse with all her things needed if anything was to go awry. 

EMPRESS DARA'S P.O.V 

Oh my goodness, the security is really good. I should raise their salaries. Good thing, the royal family are the only ones who knows about these hidden tunnels. 

"Bye, my beloved palace." 

After an hour of driving around Seoul, I decided to park my car near a mall in Myeong Don. I've only been around here for a couple of times, so I think it's best if I walk around. 

"Medical mask...check. Baseball cap... check. Ok, Dara, you're on your own." 

NARRATOR'S P.O.V 

The empress was on a roll. She went shopping for four hours, ate at restaurants, and now, she's about to move on after putting all her things in her car, when three, four men began approaching her with baseball bats in hand with smug faces. 

"You've got a nice car there." one called out. The other two wolf whistled. "And I'm guessing behind that medical mask and baseball cap is a beautiful woman. 

"Don't forget y." 

"Don't you dare, you bastards!" she warned. "I can see your faces. Trust me, I'm your worst nightmare." 

"I'm scared..." they mocked her and one man was about to hold onto her but someone punched him. 

"Let's go!" he yelled and held her hands. 

END OF FLASHBACK 

"I... don't... know... where we're going." he was catching his breath. 

"Go to... Myeongdong palace." she answered. 

"STOP RIGHT THERE!" the goons were still after them. 

"Aisht... the palace is heavily guarded. No one can go in unless in the morning and when the royal family are not there." the stranger spoke. 

"Trust me, the royal family isn't there. Just go there. We're really close." 

"Fine." 

They reached the palace and the goons were about to catch them. 

"Stop!" the royal guards stopped them. "No one is allowed in the palace." 

"Open the gates." she panted for air while placing her hands on her knees. 

"Did you not hear what I---" she cut him off. 

"I heard you." she stood up and removed her medical cap. "Arrest those guys who are chasing us." she ordered. 

"Your.... Your majesty!" the guards, including the stranger shouted. 

"Hurry and open the damn gates." 

"Open the gates!" they shouted and they immediately went inside. "I will be in my royal quarters. Phone my chief security detail and my attendants. Tell them to fetch me from here. Also, those men will see me afterwards." 

"Yes, your majesty." they bowed. 

"Hey! Come here... you motherfu..." before they could finish their sentence, they were apprehended by the guards. 

"They cannot know that it was me who they were chasing. Furthermore, you follow me." 

"Your majesty... what... what just happened? Me? Follow you?" the stranger was stuttering. 

"Lee Dong Hae. That's your name isn't it? Just follow me." 

----------

My dear subsribers... I'm so sorry for the late update. I was in Europe this summer and I was enjoying my days with my family. I'm sorry. Anyways,  I hoped you enjoyed this, although it's a bit long and boring. But, I promise you that the next chapters will be full of romance and please subscribe and comment.