MISJUDGE

THE GANGSTER CONTRACT

MISJUDGE.

 

"I told you. I did not steal your money. I will admit that I entered in the faculty but it was only because Ms. Yoon’s asked me to put her stuff in her table. It was all I did and nothing else. Even if you asked her directly, she could attest to it,” Daesung insisted when he was being interrogated by Mr. Park and Mr. Go in his office.

 

"Are you telling the truth, Mr. Kang?" There is an evident doubt in Mr. Park’s voice.

 

"Just tell the truth! You stole the student fund in my table!" Mr. Go shouted furiously.

 

"You know, this will be easier if you admit your misconduct," Mr. Park added. He circled around him as he was seated and being questioned. Then he stopped on his back. "Where is the money? What did you do to Mr. Go’s money?"

 

Daesung curls his knuckles into fist on top of the table. He is losing his patience. He has been denying their accusations. He did not steal any money. But they continued to not believe him.

 

Then he suddenly lost it and slams his palms on top of the table. He stands up and faced Mr. Park who looks like a scared puppy now. He kicked the chair and grips the head teacher in the collar of his suit. Mr. Go is too stunned to stop him.

 

"I said I’m not a thief! You don't even have concrete evidence that I am the culprit! And your damn accusing me already!" he screams right in front of the head teacher's face.

 

"M-Mr. Kang, stop it!" Mr. Go tried to separate them but failed.

 

"Y-You dare d-do this. L-Let me go!" Even he is visibly frightened, Mr. Park managed to state. He can't show weakness in front of his colleague. Even if his knees were shaking, he still needs to show his authority as the head teacher of the school. But deep inside of him, he is really petrified. Like hello?! He is still facing with a gangster after all, not to mention much acquainted to Kwon Jiyong.

 

"Mr. Park! Mr. Go!" someone entered and interferes to them.

 

"M-Ms. Yoon!" Mr. Go exclaims in relief.

 

"Mr. Kang, let Mr. Park go and try to calm down. Let's talk it out in civilize manner, please," Ms. Yoon softly said.

 

Daesung austerely let go but his glare never left the head teacher. While, Mr. Park coughs for air as soon as he released him.

 

"Mr. Go and Mr. Park, it's true that I asked Mr. Kang a favor. I told him to come to the faculty to put some of my papers. Our tables are apart, Mr. Go. I don't think Daesung stole your student fund. And it's unfair for this young student's side to accuse him without concrete evidence. What if he's innocent? It will be humiliating in our part, Mr. Park," Ms. Yoon explained.

 

The two older teachers looked as if they realized the latter’s point. They both clear their throat to compose themselves.

 

"Ms. Yoon has a point. However," Mr. Park supposed after a while. "As long as the real culprit is not yet found and you haven’t proven your innocence, Mr. Kang Daesung is under one week suspension. And if the real culprit or any person of interest shows up within that span of time, you'll proceed to expulsion for being the only primary suspect, understand?"

 

"What?! That's unfair! Why will you expel me to the crime I did not do?!" Daesung protested.

 

"It's fair enough, Mr. Kang. You don't have any choice but to take it," Mr. Park firmly said.

 

"Dammit!" Daesung cursed and walked out of the room.

 

 

***

 

 

Daesung went back to the classroom with dejected instance. His mates mobbed and asked what happened as soon as he came in. He remained silent as he takes his seat. He massaged his temple while bowing his head.

 

"Dae..." Youngbae approached him gingerly.

 

"I'm suspended. One week," he finally mumbled quietly.

 

"WHAT?!” Seungri exclaimed and calmed down a moment later. “We should still be grateful, right? At least it’s not a huge puni—" he cuts the maknae off from talking.

 

"And a pending expulsion if ever the real robber won’t show up."

 

Noise filled the room with Peace Minus One that's occupying almost half of the class.

 

"What? That's unfair!"

 

"No way!"

 

"Let’s clobber squiddy Park!"

 

"They can't do that!"

 

"You are innocent!"

 

"GUYS STOP IT!" Bom finally interjects trying to calm the class. "You can’t help Daesung with your uproar. We shall all calm down and think of a way to help Daesung proves that he is indeed not guilty."

 

The gangsters nodded and agree. Daesung mouthed thank you towards Bom and the latter returned with a small smile.

 

"How's your problem with Krab, Daesung?" Jiyong asked out of the blue.

 

Daesung turns to him and shakes his head.

 

"I’m still quite short. I'm afraid, I won’t be able to reach the deadline set by Krab," he answered somberly.

 

Jiyong nodded and stayed quiet after.

 

"Where's Sandara noona, by the way?" Daesung asked while turning his gaze to them.

 

"We thought she’s with you? She followed you after she fought with Jiyong hyung," Seungri answered failing to notice the leader's darken expression. If it wasn't for Youngbae's light slapped on his stomach, he wouldn't stop from being a big mouth himself. "Aww…”

 

"She’s not with me. Where could she be?"

 

"We don’t have any idea," Bom said.

 

 

***

 

 

It was break time when Sandara returned from God knows where. She absentmindedly fell in line at the canteen’s counter. She's trying to knit together the information she got so far. She didn’t even noticed Bom’s persistent call of her name.

 

"Hey Sandara! Dara! Sandara Park!"

 

She was back from her reverie. She turned towards the table where the gang’s usual spot. She looked at them disconcerted as they look back with the same puzzled expression on their faces.  Then she met Jiyong's impassive eyes. But she quickly averted it back to Bom, intented to ignore him.

 

"Where have you been? We've been looking for you! Wait?! What happened to your eyes? Have you been crying?" Bom immediately bombarded her with questions as soon as she settled beside her.

 

"Ha? Ani! I didn't cry. S-Something came off in my eyes," she lied.

 

Bom looks at her suspiciously but didn't say anything.

 

"What were you doing and you’ve been missing since earlier?" she asked instead.

 

"Ah, I was talking to Mr. Go. I asked him about Daesung and the incident. I was hoping that I could somehow get some information."

 

"And?" Bom asked curiously. Peace Minus One perked their ears subtly as they listen to her.

 

"I don't know but something is off. You know, he had discovered that the money was missing right after his vacation leave. And he said that it was hidden in his drawer which is locked. It’s strange, right?" she said. "The only thing I’m sure of is that, Daesung is not the culprit. Mr. Go wasn't even sure when the exact date when the money was gone. It’s just a coincidence that the last person entered the faculty when the robbery happened was Daesung who unfortunately being accused. And you know what? I have a feeling that it’s the same person who had been picking up in my locker. He or she can be the only one who could unlock Mr. Go’s drawer!"

 

"That can be. You have a point there, Sandara. But you should still watch out for your safety. That person might be dangerous. Don't do unnecessary move especially when you're alone," Youngbae chirps making her startles. She didn’t even notice that they were others who are listening.

 

Sandara blushes knowing that the rest were listening to her.

 

Meanwhile, Jiyong stares blankly ahead pondering what he just heard from Sandara. He already had an idea what's going. 'That' person is the only one that can solve this problem.

 

Daesung had already so much in his shoulders. It would be unfair for him. He knew Daesung. Even if he was a gangster, he is still has dreams in life. And if he would expel in Gakuen, he would lose hope. He won't let that happen.

 

And most especially, Sandara won't do stupid things that will harm her.

 

 

***

 

One week later...

 

Back at section 3D, the entire classroom is unusually quiet and tense. They were all nervous as the tick of the clock moves. This is the judgment day for Daesung. They felt helpless and anxious. They cannot help him and the real culprit didn’t show up as of that moment.

 

Even the ever so loud maknae, Seungri is keeping his mouth shut as he bowed his head while seating on his chair, hands clasp together on his knees. Top and Youngbae just stare at Daesung's vacant seat wondering if their friend will still occupying his chair. On the other hand, Jiyong is on his usual stoic self.

 

"What must be happening now to Daesung?" Youngbae broke the silence and asks. "It wouldn't be the same without him," he added somberly.

 

Everyone sighs and bows down sadly at his remark. Yeah. It would not be the same without seeing his smile and hearing his jokes. He's one of the lives of the gang. Though, they can still see him at the hideout but still, it’s different from seeing him every day.

 

"I felt useless. I couldn’t help him. I’ve try but I failed. What about Daesung?" Sandara said in frustration as she hits her head lightly on her table.

 

"Sandara... Stop that. You’re just hurting yourself," Bom stops her. "Besides, you had done the best you could do. It’s not in your hand which decision they will give to Daesung. We are sad too. I didn’t do anything for him. But, I'm still wishing for miracles. As of now, we don’t know what will happen to Daesung. Let's not lose hope, neh?"

 

"Y-Yeah. You're right. Daesung can make it," she said with newly gain hope.

 

Jiyong smiled to himself as he listens subtly behind the two girls, even though the girl still ignores him. Ever since she became part of their group, Sandara became closer to Peace Minus One. That’s why he knew how worried she was for Daesung. A character he had notice at her. Caring. Thoughtful.

 

'And stupid', he added in his mind.

 

They almost held their breath as the sliding door of their classroom opened. Everybody looked up at the door's direction with so much anticipation. The air suddenly grows thick with tension. Everything seems in slow motion when the door fully opened, a black and white converse shoes are slightly peeking.

 

Everyone holds their breath when a dejected form of Daesung entered the room. His shoulders are slumped down. His usual smiling face is now turned to sad one. By then they knew what happened. Daesung got kicked out.

 

"Dae..."

 

"Bro..."

 

"Hyung..."

 

"Oppa..."

 

They all said with sympathy for their friend and classmate.

 

Seungri is the first one to stands up and approaches him. He did not utter a word and embraced him like a kid. He then sobs while saying sorry and calling his name.

 

And to his utter shock, everyone begins to sniff. Daesung held himself and bit his inside cheeks to prevent himself from bursting to laugh.

 

"Seungri-ah," he mumbles in pretend sad tone.

 

"N-Neh, hyung?" he steps away from their embrace and wipes his tears harshly.

 

"You see, I don't have the heart to read this to everyone. Can you do it for me?" he asked pouting sadly giving him the letter he got earlier from the head teacher.

 

"Y-Yes, of course!" Seungri agreed. He got the letter and read it out loud. All the while, Daesung is already having a hard time controlling himself from laughing.

 

"...I hereby declaring that Mr. Kang Daesung of class 3D is proven innocent and," Seungri slowly trails off while reading the next clause unbelievably. He then turns to him with slack jaw. "Hyung! YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BE EXPELLED! AND YOUR SUSPENSION HAS BEEN LIFT! YOU'RE NOT LEAVING US!"

 

Daeasung released his boisterous laughter. The class became rowdy as they approached him for fooling around earlier.

 

While Jiyong just stayed seated, watching Daesung laughed along with the others and their annoyed but clearly relief reactions. He just sighed while shaking his head with a small relief smile on his lips.

 

On that moment, Daesung's smile never left his face—a genuine, truly, happy smile.

 

 

***

 

"Tell me the truth. Are you the one who stole Mr. Go's money?" Jiyong asked emotionless while staring stoically at the person in front of him.

 

When he heard Sandara’s conclusion earlier, he immediately made a move and talked to that person who he caught picking up Sandara’s locker. And here he was interrogating the alleged suspect.

 

"S-Sunbae..." the person stammered, clearly scared.

 

"I won't ask twice. Speak up, now!" he said calmly yet in demanding tone.

 

"I..." he saw her swallowed hard and looked away nervously.

 

"Gong-ssi..." he said her name sternly.

 

Minzy looked back to him with wide fearful eyes. He can almost see her cry. And he doesn't care at the moment. He needs to know the truth before it’s too late. Daesung's future is at stake here.

 

"I...did it," she admits quietly as she shut her eyes feared he might do something to her, like say, hit her?

 

But it didn’t happen. Jiyong exhales loudly as he rakes his hair.

 

"Why?"

 

Minzy opens her eyes and looks at him which she immediately averted after sensing him looking to her.

 

"C-Cross Bone made me do it. T-They told me... to... to steal the student fund of Mr. Go after... knowing my skill at picking locks. They threaten me that if I won't comply, they're going to hurt me. I'm scared of what they will do to me so I did what they told me. It’s not really y intention that Daesung oppa will be punished because of me. I was wrong. I'm sorry. I really am," she clutched her books in her chest tightly like her life depends on it.

 

Jiyong just watched the young girl trembled. No wonder. Sandara was hell-bent on helping the girl. She's weak and innocent.

 

"Hmm... I see," he shortly said.

 

"W-What are you going to do?" she asked.

 

Jiyong stares at her with his hand inside his pants pocket. His face is devoid of any emotion.

 

"Just admit your mistake."

 

"B-But?? I will lose my scholarship if... if I admit it," Minzy said.

 

"Ms. Gong, it’s just scholarship that you will lose," Jiyong pointed out. "But what about Daesung? He's going to lose everything if he gets kick-out of this school."

 

Minzy was rendered speechless. Can she really take her conscience if Daesung will be punished? And ruined his life?

 

In the short span of time she knew Daesung, despite his rough gangster look and seemingly no life direction, he also has dreams for his future. So can she really do that to him? When in fact, he treated her like a sister already and fully accepted her.

 

"You have a week to decide. I'll be waiting for your answer," and then Jiyong walks away leaving her troubled.

 

He knew that Minzy isn't truly a bad girl. She's only a victim of bullying, a scared cat in the sea of dogs.

 

 

***

 

Daesung hangs his head low as he seats quietly in front of the faculty members. A week had already passed. Today, he’ll know what will be the outcome of his case. And he knew what would be the result.

 

They didn't find the real culprit. He will get expelled in Gakuen, that’s for sure. An ugly truth he refused to accept.

 

Mr. Park Jaesuk stands before him with serious face, hands clasps behind him.

 

"Mr. Kang Daesung," he started. "You very well know about the consequence for not able to finding the real culprit, right? We had given you time to prove yourself innocent. Unfortunately, you failed. Just like I expected," he said with mocking smirk. "Anyway, since you have not shown us any evidence to prove to us that you are not the one who stole on Mr. Go, I think it’s only necessary for us to give out our final verdict to you. Mr. Go, please do the honor."

 

Mr. Go steps forward holding a letter for expulsion. He opens it and starts reading the contents.

 

Hopeless, Daesung shut his eyes while listening to the teacher. He curls his knuckles until it turns white. He cannot do anything and just accepts his sentence. The injustice.

 

"...We hereby declared that Mr. Kang Daesung is proven guilty for stealing money from a school official. As part of disciplinary action, the said student is hereby sentenced expulsion to Gakuen High. Effectively to—" Mr. Go was cut off when the door slides to open.

 

"W-Wait?!" Gong Minzy entered the faculty room while heavily panting.

 

All of them looked at her in confusion. What is the top freshman scholar doing and disturbed them?

 

Even Daesung looked confused.

 

"Ms. Gong? What are you doing in here?" asked by the head teacher.

 

Minzy exhales loudly and spare Daesung a glance first. She smiled apologetically at him and nodded.

 

"I...I am the real culprit. I was the one who picked on Mr. Go’s drawer. I am the one who stole the student fund not Daesung oppa. He is innocent," Minzy bowed at them guiltily. Then she turns to Daesung and bowed lowly. "I’m sorry, oppa! It was my fault why you are being accused unfairly. I'm sorry. I'm sorry," she keeps on bowing at him while sobbing in the process.

 

"M-Minzy??" Daesung muttered in disbelief. Did she really do it? But why?

 

"Ms. Gong, are you telling the truth?" Mr. Go asked in shocked.

 

They knew the young girl. She's nice and kind. It’s hard to believe what she is saying.

 

Minzy nods undeniably.

 

"I-I left my I.D here. You can find it at Mr. Go’s table if it hadn’t clean," she said.

 

They quickly checked the table of Mr. Go. And true enough, they found her I.D under the table. They all gapes at Minzy with slack jaw and widen eyes.

 

"B-But... how come you still able to enter the school without your I.D?" asked by Ms. Yoon.

 

"I filed a request for new identification card. I made up an alibi that I lost my ID," Minzy shamefully answered.

 

"B-But why did you do it, Ms. Gong?" Head teacher Park asked having a hard time believing the truth.

 

"Didn’t you know what could have happen to you with what you have done? You can be expel from school," Ms. Yoon said disappointedly.

 

"I can explain, ma'am, sir. Just hear me out first, juseyo," Minzy pleaded.

 

"Then start talking now, Ms. Gong! This is unacceptable misconduct from you," Mr. Park growls after recovering from shock.

 

"N-Neh," she stutters and explains her side.

 

Everyone listen carefully, especially Daesung. He wanted to hear the truth. The whole story.

 

 

***

 

"Thank you," Daesung said when he and Minzy left the room.

 

The latter smiled sadly and shakes her head. "You don't have to. I am the one who should apologize. I dragged you in this mess without knowing."

 

"It’s not really your fault. I understand you. If you didn’t came on time I could have been kicked out here in Gakuen. So thank you for coming right on time. Don’t worry. Cross Bone can never touch you anymore," he said as his expression darkens upon reminding of Minzy’s story.

 

The case is solved. He won’t be expelled anymore. But Minzy is another case. Even though it’s not her entire fault, it doesn’t mean she’s excuse of the punishment. She is three weeks suspended. Most of all, she cannot be included in the top students no matter how high her grades were. But she’s grateful enough that her scholarship wasn’t lifted.

 

"What do you mean?" she frowns.

 

Daesung grins. He flashes his signature smile at her.

 

"You see, it’s been a very long time since I had a muse. In fact, it was during my second year. Do you want to be my muse?"

 

Minzy widens her eyes in shock. Did she hear it, right?

 

"You mean??" she mutters unsurely.

 

Daesung nodded as he chuckles at her reaction.

 

"Are you sure?"

 

"Very!"

 

"B-But?? I mean, why me?"

 

"Why not? You save me," he shrugs.

 

"But I am the reason why you were entangled by this mess," she counters.

 

"But it was also not your intention, right? Minzy, I understand your situation. You were scared and pressured. You don’t have any choice at that time," he said thoughtfully.

 

"But still…”

 

"Na ah! Don’t blame yourself anymore. Here!" Then he handed her the contract. "Think about it while you were suspended. I will wait for your answer."

 

Minzy hesitantly accept it and she bowed at him for the nth time that day.

 

\"Thank you, oppa!"

 

Daesung chuckles and ruffles her head like a kid.

 

"Arasso. I’ll leave first neh? For sure, my friends were waiting for me at the classroom. I want to see their faces when I drop the news. It will be epic! Hahaha!" he said. He turned around with a last friendly wave to Minzy but before he could leave fully, the girl called him again.

 

"Oppa! There's something I forgot to tell you!"

 

"Neh? What is it?"

 

 

***

 

"I am sorry! I’m sorry!" Minzy didn’t stop from bowing in front of Sandara while saying sorry repeatedly. She was about to go home when the latter caught her. The young girl already admitted everything not only Daesung’s issue but also about her locker issue. It turns out she was the culprit who was picking up on her locker for Jiyong’s fangirl so they could leave those souvenirs. She told her everything and apologized for her wrongdoings

 

"That's enough, Minzy," she stopped her. "I understand. And it was enough for me that you admitted to it and helped Daesung. As of my locker, it’s fine with me as long as you won’t do it again. And if ever someone or anyone forces you again to do something you don’t want to do, speak up, neh? Stand up for yourself. You should learn to stand on your own and fight for yourself," she said with a smile on her face while she holds her shoulder gently.

 

"You're so good to me. D-Despite what I have done, you still forgave me without having second thought. You still accepted me wholeheartedly and treat me like a friend. Thank you so much," Minzy said through sobs as she bows again.

 

Sandara shakes her head with a smile.

 

"No. Thank you. If not for you, Daesung might be expelled."

 

Minzy sighs and wipes her tears away.

 

"It's not me you should be thanking. If it wasn’t for him, I wouldn’t have any courage to tell the truth. I just what was right. There was only person you should all thanking. He's the one who encourage me. He is also the one responsible that’s why you don’t have to receive those gifts and love letters. He warns those delusional fangirls to stop. He even saved me from Cross Bone," Minzy said.

 

Sandara frowns. She already had an idea who she might be referring to. But she wanted to make sure.

 

"What do you mean?"

 

Minzy turned to her and smiled.

 

"You're lucky, unnie that you're Jiyong sunbae's muse."

 

That’s it and Minzy politely left. She was left on her spot while contemplating what she said. Jiyong helped without her knowledge. He had been helping all along.

 

She felt awful remembering what she had said to him before. She had accused and misjudged him. She was wrong.

 

Now, how can she apologize without looking like fool?

 

 

+

Hello! It's been a while. Here's my update.

CAMLLE.