New Place, New Face.

Reaching for the Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Yongsun swears she would have stayed in bed all day if it isn’t for the wonderful smell of kimchi, seaweed soup, and fried fish wafting into her bedroom and waking her up from her slumber.

Yawning, she heads into the kitchen to find her mum making the table. They aren’t well off but her mum always makes sure they at least enjoy a good breakfast spread to start the day.

“Sweetie, can you please throw out the garbage before we start? The truck will drop by any time soon.” Her mum says.

Yongsun quietly nods, rolls up her sleeves, and lugs the garbage out – when she suddenly bumps into somebody coming up the staircase.

“I’m sorry-“ She starts to apologise.

“Moo morning!”

Yongsun does a double take when she sees Moonbyul standing in front her, carrying some boxes and has seemingly stuffed some envelopes in .

“What are you doing here?” Yongsun raises her eyebrows, eyeing Moonbyul’s boxes – one says ‘bedroom’, another says ‘living room’, and the smallest one says ‘washroom’.

Moonbyul drops her boxes and pulls the envelopes out of to reply.

“Oh, did I forget to mention? I live here now.”   

//

“So you are living with you now?” Hyejin asks, pointing at Moonbyul and then at Yongsun. It’s lunch time and the three of them are huddled at one corner of a cafeteria near the garbage bin.

“Only in the same apartment building.” Yongsun corrects, shooting Moonbyul a nervous glance.

“Yes.” Moonbyul nods.

“But, why?” Hyejin asks.

“Yeah, why?” Yongsun turns to Moonbyul.

“Your apartment is not that bad. It’s… cosy?” Moonbyul says, furrowing her eyebrows in hesitation. “Speaking of which, are you guys free this Saturday? I need help with the moving and unpacking.”

“I live right downstairs. I’ll drop by.” Yongsun says.

“Sure. I’ll come too. You know, I still don’t get why you’d move out of a high-end neighbourhood to go live in that sad, pathetic area. You literally can’t hear the sound of kids playing or birds chirping there. At all.” Hyejin says, sipping her apple juice.

“Uhm, thanks, Snow White?” Yongsun stares at Hyejin in disbelief. “Speaking of ‘literally’, are you and Wheein still mad at each other?”

“You two fought?” Moonbyul asks.

“We have not been in touch.” Hyejin says briefly. “And besides, I don’t want to talk about her. I’m in a good mood today.”

“Are you wearing lipstick?” Yongsun gasps.

“That is so not allowed in school.” Moonbyul mutters under her breath.

“Shut up, nerds. The queen is finally meeting her knight in shining armour today.” Hyejin says, smacking her blindingly red lips.

“Oh my god – your secret admirer? Where are you meeting him?” Yongsun asks.

“We’re meeting up at your café after school. I mean, he goes to school here too, but doesn’t want to reveal himself till he’s done with his last class. Such an admirable student, really.” Hyejin giggles.

“You just called us nerds.” Moonbyul quietly protests.

“Anyway, I think it’s Suga.” Hyejin drops her voice to a whisper, pretending she hasn’t heard Moonbyul.

“Suga as in jittery Suga from Class 3-B?” Moonbyul asks.

“But, why?” Yongsun asks.

“I don’t know, I think I might be into people with a lisp these days.” Hyejin bites a carrot.

“I don’t get why anyone would call himself Suga.” Moonbyul shrugs.

“Yongsun forced everyone to call her Solar in fifth grade.” Hyejin says.

“That was one time.” Yongsun grits her teeth in anger. Moonbyul snorts.

“Well, I got to go. Catch you later, queers!” Hyejin skips out of the cafeteria.

Yongsun turns to Moonbyul, “Are you going to tell me now?”

“Tell you what?”

“The real reason you moved into my apartment.”

“I told you. I wanted a change in environment.”

“And of all places in Seoul, you just happened to pick my apartment? What, were you blindfolded when you were house-shopping?” Yongsun asks, looking like she’s about to slap Moonbyul.

“I-“

“Is it true?!” Wheein suddenly appears, slamming her fists on her table.

“What are you talking about? Also, can you please sit down. People are staring.” Yongsun says, aware that all eyes are on them now.

“Hyejin. Is she meeting her secret admirer today? I overheard Taehyung and the boys talking about it in the library.” Wheein asks.

“By the way. My new place. Saturday.” Moonbyul interrupts.

“What?” Wheein’s eyebrows knit in confusion.

“Wait, why is Taehyung even in the library – never mind. Hyejin thinks it’s Suga. You know he hangs out with Taehyung sometimes. She must have asked him about it.” Yongsun explains.

“Wow, Hyejin is serious this time.” Moonbyul says.

“I have to stop her.” Wheein whispers.

“No. Let her be. She’s in love. Didn’t you notice how happy she is lately? She wore lipstick to school today for heaven’s sake.” Yongsun says.

“She’s happy? Without me?” Wheein says, lips quivering, eyes watering.

“She’s happy. Without me.”

//

“Wendy?!”

“Hi?” Wendy steps into view from behind Hyejin with a look of hesitation on her face. They are standing at the doorway of Moonbyul’s apartment.

“Your secret admirer? He turns out to be a she and she turns out to be Wendy?” Yongsun throws a sharp glance at Wendy.  “And no offense, but she’s with Irene.”

“Please don’t tell Irene that I’m hanging out with you guys.” Wendy says.

“Well, she’s with me now. Are you going to let us in or what?” Hyejin asks, pushing Moonbyul and Yongsun out of the way as she enters the unit and plops herself on the couch.

“Come right in.” Moonbyul mutters, rolling her eyes, and shutting the door behind them.

“How did you not know?” Yongsun asks.

“About what?”

“That it’s Wendy.”

“Look, I don’t need to explain myself and neither does Wendy. We’re here to help Byul.” Hyejin starts piling up some empty boxes and Wendy quickly goes to help her. Their fingers accidently touch and they smile weirdly at each other. Yongsun gags but stops when she hears the doorbell.

Moonbyul jogs towards the door and points at 3 small boxes at one corner. “I’ll get it. Can you bring those into my bedroom?” She asks Yongsun. Then she opens the door to reveal a flustered Wheein.

“Hey, sorry I’m late.” Wheein says.

“No, you’re right on time. We’re just getting started.” Moonbyul says.

“What the hell? You invited her?” Hyejin starts for the door.

“What are you doing here?” Wheein asks, confused, and even more so when she sees Wendy trailing behind Hyejin like a scared puppy. “What are YOU doing here?”

“I-“ Wendy starts to say, wide-eyed in fear.

“I thought you’re on my side!” Hyejin snaps at Moonbyul.

“Whoa, hey, I’m not on anyone’s side!” Moonbyul starts to protest.

“Okay, you know what, I’ll just leave. Happy unpacking.” Wheein disappears down the stairwell before anyone could stop her.

Hyejin sighs and drags Wendy out of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter