It's Krystal Clear Now?

Reaching for the Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Yongsun stares at her Math test paper and the blindingly red ‘F’ scrawled on the top right hand corner of the paper. She sighs in frustration and chucks it into a drawer, mentally noting that she’d need to fake her mum’s signature again later. She jumps when her mum slides open the door to her room, handing her a plate of sliced apples.

“Our Yongsun is working hard, isn’t she?” Her mum smiles, revealing moon-crescent eyes similar to Yongsun’s.

Yongsun realises that she’s surrounded by her school books and that her mum thinks she’s been studying. But the truth is, Yongsun’s on a witch hunt for a cockroach that has scuttled into her school bag awhile ago. She forces a smile, nevertheless, as she swallows her apple and guilt.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yongsun grabs a pillow and screams into it. Finals are just around the corner and her friends are no help at all. As she contemplates between actually studying for her test or taking an afternoon nap, and almost going for the latter, the door slides open to reveal Yongsun’s mum. But she’s not alone.

“Yongsun ah, your friend is here. You’ve never mentioned her before but she has introduced herself to me. What a nice young lady! Please treat our guest well, Yongsun.” Yongsun’s mum says with a soft smile, stepping aside to let the ‘friend’ in.

Yongsun’s heart skips a beat when she sees Moonbyul. At the doorway. Of her room. While she’s in her Pororo pajamas. She instinctively pulls a sheet over her body to cover up her childish attire, eliciting a laugh from Moonbyul. She realises it’s the first time she has ever seen Moonbyul laugh. She relaxes a little and sets her sheet aside.

Even with her mum now gone, Yongsun deliberately leaves her door ajar. Being in a bedroom alone with Moonbyul is too much for her to handle and already she’s feeling her ears turning hot.

“What are you doing here?” Yongsun asks.

“This is going to sound strange but I’m here on a mission.” Moonbyul says with zero expression on her face, a far cry from when she first sees Yongsun in her Pororo outfit.

“What are you talking about?” Yongsun further questions, eyes taking a quick sweep of her room in case there’s anything unsightly. She immediately spots a phallic-shaped soap on her desk that Hyejin has gotten for her as a joke on her last trip to Bangkok. Damn it.

Moonbyul doesn’t seem to notice Yongsun’s predicament and instead starts making herself comfortable in Yongsun’s room, pulling a chair. It is then Yongsun realises that Moonbyul has brought along her school bag.

Moonbyul rummages her bag and fishes out several thick textbooks that Yongsun thinks could kill a person, physically or mentally.

“The truth is, Wheein has asked for my help to tutor you for your next paper. I’ve finished studying but I think it’d be great if I go through everything one more time by teaching you. So here I am.” Moonbyul says matter-of-factly. When she’s not looking, Yongsun swiftly shoots out a text to Wheein.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yongsun imagines wrapping her hands around Wheein's small neck. Why on earth would she send a girl she knows Yongsun has a crush on to tutor her? How the hell is she supposed to focus on studying when Moonbyul is right in front her with her piercing eyes and perfect gray locks. And those lips. Oh, those luscious pink li-

“Yongsun shi? Are you listening to me?” Moonbyul says, waving a hand in front of Yongsun.

“Y-yes. Yes. Wait, does this mean…?” Yongsun scrambles off bed and peers out her bedroom window. There’s an unfamiliar black Sedan right across the street.

“Don’t worry about my bodyguards. They know it’s safe here.” Moonbyul assures Yongsun, flipping through one of her textbooks.

“By the way, I brought some saeoo (shrimp snacks) so we can eat it for break time.” Moonbyul continues saying.

“You like saeoo?” Yongsun asks. Moonbyul doesn’t seem like the type who enjoys junk food.

“I don’t. But I thought you would.” Moonbyul says with a sheepish smile.

Yongsun feels her stomach flip and couldn’t stop herself from smiling. Saeoo is officially her favourite snack starting today.

“Okay, where do we start?”

By the time they are done with chapters 1 to 3, Yongsun feels like she’s floating, and not in a good way. Her brain doesn’t feel like hers anymore. But studying turns out to be not such a bad thing when her tutor is Moonbyul. How can someone look so attractive explaining equations?

Their little revision session soon becomes a weekly routine Yongsun looks forward to. Moonbyul would come to her house, always with the same textbooks and a few packets of saeoo. They would then study for 3 hours, occasionally pausing to snack and rest. It’s during one of these breaks that Yongsun finds out a little bit more about Moonbyul. She’s a winter child, loves jjajjangmyeon, is neutral about pets but doesn’t own any, prefers pants over skirts, and has several exes. Yongsun isn’t too happy finding out about the last part but doesn’t press on further about it. Maybe next week she’ll ask. Or today.

“So, this is totally random, but how many exes do you have specifically?” Yongsun asks, trying to sound as casual as possible.

“Four.” Moonbyul says briefly as she taps on her calculator without making any eye contact with Yongsun. It is break time but Moonbyul takes this opportunity to make flash cards for Yongsun.

“Wow, I’m curious what kind of people they are. Are they really pretty?” Yongsun asks, scribbling nonsense on her paper.

“Looks aren’t everything to me, Yongsun-shii.” Moonbyul says.

Yongsun smiles in relief.

“But since you asked, yes, they’re beautiful.” Moonbyul says, looking up at Yongsun with a tiny grin.

Yongsun takes back her smile. Of course they’d be drop-dead gorgeous. It’s Moonbyul’s exes they’re talking about.

“Oh, how did you guys meet?” Yongsun says, now mindlessly drawing a stick figure from the number ‘o’ on her textbook.

“We were schoolmates.” Moonbyul says flatly. She really only answers what’s asked, no more, no less.

“Oh.” Yongsun replies, letting a hint of disappointment slip out in her response. She has also recently found out that Moonbyul was previously in a prestigious private school, though she doesn’t know why she left. Great, not only are her exes pretty, they’re also smart and rich.

Yongsun catches a sight of herself in the mirror. She thinks she’s okay-looking, what with people constantly praising her thick hair, eye smile and dimples. Still, how could she match up to Moonbyul’s goddess-like exes?

“Why did you ask?” Moonbyul asks, staring quizzically at Yongsun.

“Just curious.” Yongsun says, clearing . Already her face is burning up. She hates to admit it, but she’s knows she’s feeling jealous. And maybe a little bit

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter