Cake & Pudding

Reaching for the Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The first thing Yongsun notices is that the windows of the limo are heavily tinted. When she presses her face to a window and squints her eyes, all she manages to see are trees, trees, and more trees. She figures they’re no longer in the city and almost could not suppress a rising panic, but then she closes her eyes and thinks of Moonbyul. Somehow, the image of Moonbyul holding her hand protectively helps to calm her nerves. She knows there’s no way Moonbyul would let anything happen to her.

Soon, the car comes to a halt and the man in grey suit from a while ago opens the door for Yongsun to get off. As soon as she’s out, she’s almost blinded by the sight of a huge white mansion that towers over them like a skyscraper. Okay, maybe that’s an exaggeration (it’s really big though). He extends an arm and bows almost 90 degrees, gesturing Yongsun to walk ahead of him. Yongsun thinks for someone who has threatened to ‘get physical’ with her not too long ago, he’s actually kind of polite.

Two bodyguards lead Yongsun into the mansion, occasionally muttering on their walkie-talkies, some gibberish codes Yongsun doesn’t understand. The first room they enter is the living room, lit only by several dimmed LED lamps, but even then Yongsun can see that the room is generously decorated with expensive-looking vases, beautifully designed rugs that hug the polished floor, and portraits of unknown wealthy-looking people covering the walls.

“This way, Miss Kim.” Man in Grey Suit bellows from the staircase, pulling Yongsun back to reality.

Yongsun nods and quickly follows Man in Grey Suit up the stairs, but not before catching a glimpse of several baby Moonbyul photos on a brown mantel. She smiles, thinking that Moonbyul has not changed at all, and then slaps herself mentally because she shouldn’t be smiling at a time like this. Focus!

They soon reach a heavy wooden door and Man in Grey Suit proceeds to knock. Each time he does, it’s exactly 4 knocks. Knock knock, knock knock. When there’s no reply from beyond the door, he knocks again. After several tries, comes a gruff response.

“Come in.”

Man in Grey Suit pushes the door open and once again gestures Yongsun to enter the room. She carefully steps into what seems to be a study room the size of her house, and is slightly taken aback when the door closes behind her and she’s alone. She sees a figure sitting on a leather chair by the window, smoking on a pipe, and with their back facing her. Yongsun thinks this is all slightly too dramatic.

“Ah, you’re here.” The person turns around on his chair, revealing a man who looks about 50 with thinning and graying hair. Despite his initial greeting, he doesn’t look too friendly. Or happy.

“Have a seat… Yongsun-shi, right?” The old man says, gesturing towards an empty seat opposite his.

“Who are you?” Yongsun asks, determined to stand until she figures out what’s going on.

The old man holds up a hand, signaling Yongsun to shush. He finishes smoking and places down his pipe before speaking up again.

“My sources have been telling me that you and Moonbyul are getting closer each day. Tell me, what are you two? Best friends? Just schoolmates? Your answer has better be either one of those.” He says.

“Sorry, but may I know what this is about?” Yongsun asks. Her legs are shaking now but she tries not to show that she’s afraid.

“Okay, I’ll tell you who I am. I’m the man who controls more than half of South Korea’s underground businesses. An underground business is something a girl like you should never need to know. Heck, even the ramen you eat for lunch is probably produced by one of my clients.” He gives out a light chuckle similar to Moonbyul’s. Yongsun doesn’t like this old man’s version. Also, she makes a mental note to scrap ramen off her late-night snack list.

“Moonbyul is the heir to all of my businesses. She might resist now, but soon she’ll realise her responsibility as my eldest daughter. Until then, I need her to stay away from any sort of scandals or activities that most people may deem… unnatural.”  The old man pauses, almost as if he wants the last word to really sink in.

Yongsun swallows the lump in . Her mind is racing. She’s had a hunch that Moonbyul comes from a wealthy family but not till the ‘my dad collects debt from the people who own your favourite ramen brands’ extend. She has so many questions for Moonbyul and she’s angry that she’s been put in this inferior position when she has not done anything wrong. Scratch that, she hasn’t even done anything.

“We’re just schoolmates.” Yongsun says softly. She tries to convince herself that it is the truth. Aside from the occasional hand-holding and (maybe) heart eyes, there’s nothing going on between her and Moonbyul.

“Good. I had a hard time prying off her last girl toy. What’s her name again? Soojung? She’s one determined girl, I’ll give her that. But I also gave her an ultimatum. It’s either Moonbyul or her older sister. It would have been a pity if her sister suddenly 'disappears’ with her ‘boyfriend’, wouldn’t it?” He says with a sneer.

“You have a mother you love dearly, right? You’re a smart girl, Kim Yongsun. So make the smart choice.”

//

“Yongsun ah, wake up, stupid!”

Yongsun sighs, further burying herself under the sheets and turning to her side away from the window. She has been ignoring Wheein and Hyejin’s morning calls so now they have showed up outside her apartment, throwing pebbles at her window and yelling angrily at her to get ready for school.

“Yongsun ah, if you don’t come down in 10 minutes we’re going to sing Yongdonnie World and announce to your whole neighbourhood that you wrote the lyrics!” Hyejin warns.

Yongsun immediately rolls out of bed and scrambles to the window.

“Yah, I’m not going to school today! I’m not feeling well!” Yongsun lies to her two friends who are staring up at her with annoyed faces.

“You actually think we’ll fall for that dumb lie? You look even healthier me and I’m on my period!” Wheein yells.

“You are? But I thought tonight we’re going to...” Yongsun hears her two friends dropping to a whisper and rolls her eyes.

“Fine, I’ll go to school. But I might just come back home halfway.” Yongsun quickly dresses up, grabs her backpack and heads downstairs to meet Wheein and Hyejin.

“Yah, what’s up with you? Worried about screwing up your finals? Moonbyul told me you’re making good progress with your Math though.” Hyejin says, slinging an arm over Yongsun’s shoulder, but struggling a little due to their height difference.

Yongsun groans inwardly at the mention of Moonbyul. She’s still thinking of a good excuse to ban Moonbyul from her house forever. They’re supposed to have their usual study session this coming Saturday.

“Literally. Chill the f out, Yongsun. You’re not usually like this.” Hyejin comments.

“Yeah, what’s really going on? You know you can count on us.” Wheein says, putting on her rare serious face.

Yongsun glances at Wheein who just last night decided to give herself choppy bangs with a pair of blunt scissors and then at Hyejin who’s now distracted by her brand new manicure. She decides it’s better to leave her friends in their blissfully ignorant world.

“It’s nothing.”

Chatting about regular teenage stuff and getting herself updated with her friends’ lives is able to take Yongsun’s mind off Moonbyul for a little while. She learns that her friends are still not admitting their feelings for each other, Wheein recently adopted a kitten, and Hyejin has been receiving love letters from an unknown sender in school. Wheein insists that she’s not jealous, but Yongsun notices that Wheein tries to steer the topic away whenever Hyejin starts reading out loud cheesy excerpts from the letters she’s received.

They arrive at school in no time and sees a small group of four standing in front of their school entrance. 15-20 students are also crowding the other side of the gate. Both groups are jeering and throwing insults at each other.

“What the hell? Yah, what are you guys doing?” Hyejin yells, as the trio starts towards the smaller group. They realise they don’t recognise the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter