Trippin'

Reaching for the Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Moonbyul closes the door behind her and shrugs off her jacket. It’s been a long day but it’s far from being over. She looks at Soojung’s back while the older girl cooks and hums a happy tune to herself in the kitchen, and Moonbyul feels like the tiest person on earth because she’s about to ruin all that.

Soojung turns around holding a pot and smiles in pleasant surprise when she sees Moonbyul standing by the door. “Oh, I didn’t hear you come in. Go take a shower, stinky! Dinner will be ready soon.” She says cheerily as she she continues busying around the kitchen.

“Smells great in here.” Moonbyul wraps her arms around Soojung’s waist, “I mean you.” and kisses her on the cheek but the older girl starts whining about her being a nuisance in the kitchen. They bicker in a playful manner for awhile and Moonbyul finally lets go when Soojung threatens to hit her with a wooden spatula.

“Go freshen up before I kick your , Moon Byul Yi!” Soojung is laughing and waving her spatula around.

“I guess your PhD in spatula-wielding is finally coming in handy, huh?” Moonbyul chuckles lightly. She leans back against a countertop and fidgets with her ring. It still feels awkward and out of place despite being the right size. “Soojung, I have something to tell you.”

“What is it?” Soojung asks, although her attention is mostly on her stew and it’s too salty. She decides it needs more water.

“It’s about Yongsun. She’s back.” Moonbyul replies and Soojung immediately freezes, a lid in one hand and a spatula in the other. She puts them down and slowly turns around to look at Moonbyul like she couldn’t believe what she has just heard.

“Kim Yongsun?” She asks, eyebrows furrowed in confusion. “She’s back in Korea?”

Moonbyul nods. “Yes, and she’s working with me now. I know it isn’t right, but I hired her because, you know, I knew her.”

Soojung looks at Moonbyul and immediately knows there’s more to what her fiancé is telling her. She moves towards Moonbyul and lightly touches her face, gasping softly in panic when the younger girl starts tearing up.

“Byul-ah, what’s really going on?”

“Her m-mother is okay.” Moonbyul whispers tearfully and Soojung gently hugs her to her chest as though comforting a scared child. “Her mother is alive.”

“Oh, baby.” Blinking back her tears, Soojung hugs Moonbyul tighter and gently wipes away her tears with the pad of her thumb. “You’ll be okay too.”

//

Moonbyul checks her schedule and groans inwardly when she realises that her next business trip to Japan is this week. She makes a mental note to let Soojung know that they’re going to have to cancel their plan to go to a play this weekend.

There’s a knock on the door and Moonbyul looks up to see Minhyuk and Yongsun at the doorway. Crap, she’s been so buried in work the entire morning that she’s forgotten it’s Yongsun first day.

“Sorry to interrupt your work. I’m just showing Yongsun around the office and you room is the last stop. Yongsun, you remember Byul, right? She’s the one who interviewed you.” Minhyuk says.

“Uh, hi.” Moonbyul wants to sound more enthusiastic but the rising panic in her chest doesn’t let her. Yongsun merely bows and gives her a small, courteous smile.

“You two will be working closely together from today onwards so better get used to seeing each other’s very, very attractive face.” Minhyuk jokes but snaps out of it when nobody is laughing. “Anyway, I forgot to show you where the pantry is. If you would just follow me…”

“Minhyuk, before I forget,” Moonbyul says, flipping though her calendar. “Can I get more information on that conference in Tokyo?”

“Oh right! I’ll forward the agenda to you and Yongsun by lunch.” Minhyuk says.

“Yongsun?” Moonbyul looks at Yongsun quizzically but the latter looks like she has no clue either.

“I was going to tell you after this but yes Yongsun will be tagging along with you to the conference so she can get a better sense of the job from early on.” Minhyuk looks at Yongsun and winks. “You’re welcome.”

“I’d appreciate it if you can give me a heads up on something like this next time.” Moonbyul sighs, though her anger is not actually directed at Minhyuk but rather at the whole mess she’s in right now. What would Soojung think about her spending time with Yongsun alone in another country?

//

“So was it awkward seeing her again?” Wheein asks as she reaches for another piece of garlic bread. Hyejin glares at her and warns her that the calories she’s consuming is bad for their baby but Wheein is not listening.

“No, not really. In fact, she seems more than okay to see me.” Yongsun shrugs.

“Or she’s really good at pretending. Come on, she was so in love with you and all that you’ve been through? She must be crazy to not have thrown herself at you when she first saw you.” Hyejin says.

“She’s engaged to Soojung and I’m happy for her.” Yongsun says, and her lips curl into a sad smile.

“Wait, that name sounds familiar.” Wheein thinks for awhile and then let’s out a horrified gasp. “Isn’t that her ex girlfriend?”

“Yup.” Yongsun nods.

“Remember you used to be so paranoid that Byul would go back to her? Man, the world is such a strange place.” Wheein says, chewing another piece of garlic and ignoring Hyejin’s murderous gaze. She’s eating for two people now and nobody denies a pregnant lady her food.

“Look, whatever we had, it’s in the past. I’ve forgiven her and we are both moving on.” Yongsun says. “Besides we’re going to be working together now so we have to keep our personal and professional life separate.”

“I can’t believe we went to high school together and you guys dated and now she’s your boss.” Wheein says, then looks at Yongsun apologetically. “I didn’t mean to say that out loud! Pregnancy hormones.” She smiles sheepishly as Hyejin pats her head adoringly.

“Speaking of boss, i can’t make it to our annual camping trip cos’ I have to attend this conference thing with Byul in Japan.” Yongsun says, secretly relieved that she doesn’t have to deal with Seokjin and his gang this year. She recently found out from Hyejin that Seokjin has been crushing on her and might even ask her out at the camp. Thank god she won’t be able to make it.

“What? But you just got back and it’s going to be your first camp in years!” Wheein protests.

“I know and I’m so sorry but work is more important.” Yongsun says, pouting at her friends to show that she’s sorry even

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter