The Stupid Camp

Reaching for the Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

For as long as Yongsun can remember, Wheein and Hyejin have always been inseparable. From taking the same subjects in school to buying matching , they do everything together. Yongsun has found it strange at first, given that Wheein and Hyejin’s relationship is platonic, but slowly started to accept the fact that her idiotic friends are simply adorably attached to the hip (they did, however, literally dressed up as Siamese twins that one Halloween a few years back).

This is why when Yongsun suggests to hang out at a café near her apartment to discuss their annual camping trip and only Wheein shows up, Yongsun thinks she’s dreaming. She blinks furiously at the sole person in front of her, trying to snap out of this illusion. But, nope, only Jung Wheein is standing there and looking annoyed as hell, too.

“What are you doing?” Wheein her head to the side, studying Yongsun’s bewildered look.

“What am I doing? What are you doing here without Hyejin?” Yongsun asks.

Wheein simply sighs loudly and pushes the door into the café and Yongsun quickly follows her inside unquestioningly. They sit across each other at the table, sipping from their mugs as Yongsun silently wonders when was the last time just the two of them hung out. But now that she's really giving this a thought, it suddenly occurs to her that there has never been an occasion where it’s just her and Wheein or her and Hyejin. It’s always her, Wheein, and Hyejin. The two best friends even plan surprise birthday parties for each other with the other person present even though that's stupid as hell and not to mention, pointless.

Yongsun thinks maybe if she starts talking about camp, Wheein would cheer up. The annual camping trip is something Wheein and Hyejin came up with a few years back to get to know people outside their circle of friends (as in the 3 of them). It’s basically a frat party minus the booze. And loud music. And fun.

So she starts yapping about the campsite, what food to bring, and who to invite, but Wheein is quiet the whole time. Yongsun wonders if she has been listening at all.

“Yah, what if your friend isn’t your friend anymore?” Wheein asks quietly.

“What do you mean?” Yongsun asks.

“Like, say you’ve been friends with this person for a long time and you think you know her. But one day she says something stupid and all that you’ve believed in – your friendship, your bond – they all come crashing down.” Wheein says.

“I know you’re talking about Hyejin so you can stop being obscure and drop the pronoun. What's going on with you two?” Yongsun asks worriedly.

“Nothing.” Wheein mumbles to herself and proceeds to sip her coffee in silence.

Yongsun decides not to pursue the topic. She will find out sooner or later anyway. As she busies herself writing down names of the people she would like to invite for the trip, Moonbyul walks into the café.  Being in a different class means Yongsun doesn’t always see Moonbyul. Occasionally, she’d bump into her in the hallway (but act like she doesn’t see her), or hear stories about her from Wheein and Hyejin. Apart from being extremely smart and immensely popular among girls in school these days, there’s nothing much on Moonbyul. She’s always so quiet.

Now that she recalls, it’s been at least 3 weeks since that incident with Umji. It still surprises her that Moonbyul manages to only get a detention and not suspended from school. Umji has stopped talking about (and to) Yongsun since then, avoiding her altogether when they stumble upon each other in school.

Yongsun quietly watches Moonbyul order her drink. The tall girl doesn’t seem to notice her or Wheein.

“!” Wheein suddenly exclaims, breaking Yongsun’s stalker-ish gaze at Moonbyul. She heaves a sigh of relief when Moonbyul doesn’t notice the commotion and exits the café with a coffee in hand.

“What was that? She almost caught me stari- I mean, watchi- No, wait, I didn’t mean all of that, so please forget what I said.” Yongsun feels her ears burning and wonders why Moonbyul, the stranger, makes her body react like this.

“I think I might have left my purse at Hyejin’s house. Can you pay for my Latte? Damn it, this means I have to drop by her place later to retrieve it…” Wheein groans.

“No problem. I’ve got this.” Yongsun says, checking her purse and finding a single 5,000W note inside. “It’s a problem. I have not got this.”

They both start panicking. The only other friend they have is Hyejin and Wheein isn’t about to ask her come rescue them. Yongsun pinches the bridge of her nose, considering between walking outside and begging passersby for money or just booking it. Wheein, in the meantime, is staring at her phone, seriously wondering if she should ring up Hyejin.

While they contemplate a solution, the owner of the café (a lady with a nice smile), walks over to their table and serves them a slice of red velvet cake.

“Sorry, but we didn’t order this.” Yongsun says.

“Oh, your friend who just left paid for this and your coffee.” The lady with a nice smile walks away, leaving Wheein and Yongsun dumbfounded.

“Did she just say Moonbyul paid for our drinks? She actually saw us?” Wheein says slowly.

Yongsun doesn’t respond to Wheein. She reaches for her coffee and takes a long sip. Her tummy feels warm and it isn’t because of the coffee.

//

It’s recess time and Yongsun is squashed between Wheein and Hyejin at the cafeteria. The two friends still aren’t talking to each other. Yongsun hasn’t figured out why they are giving each other the cold shoulder and at this point, she’s too afraid to ask.

Taeh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter