Chapter 7

Forgiveness : Broken Wings

My feet slowed down until stopping completely as I took in the shocking scene in front of me and Yoongi with widened eyes. The car that sped past us had crashed into the little room. The glass was scattered all around the ground and many of the records lining the shelves in the walls had fallen and broken after hitting the floor. Smoke whiffed out from all sides of the broken-down car, but another kind of dark red liquid covering the front windshield was still visible enough to make my breath stop. The car didn't crash into me or Yoongi, but somehow, I still knew who's blood it belonged to.

Then right in front of us, flames burst out from the piano top that soon moved to engulf the entire contraption. The fire crackled and burned brightly, consuming the brown piano quickly.

My throat felt heavy as I slowly turned toward Yoongi. I couldn't say anything. What could I say?

Yoongi was staring at the burning piano quietly. He didn't look upset or angry, but he didn't look dead-eyed either. The look in his eyes actually seemed confused.

"...why...why do I want to cry...?" He asked very quietly.

"...if you want to, then do it." I responded just as quietly. "There's nothing wrong with crying."

Yoongi watched the flames dancing off of the piano a few seconds more before blinking slowly and suddenly looking like he was in pain, clamping his eyes shut and making fists with his two hands resting by his side.

"What? What's wrong?" I took a step closer to touch his arm but he flinched away, moving his widened, frightened gaze to stare at me hard. "Tell me what's wrong." I said adamantly.

Very small tears started forming in my friend's eyes as he slowly looked back toward the burning piano. Then it was as if all the strength was lost in his legs because he fell to his knees, closing his eyed tightly and lowering his head.

"Whatever's causing you pain...just let it flow." I said quietly, slowly bending down so we were level. "Once you accept it, you'll feel better. You can trust me."

Several seconds went by as he continued to squirm and groan lightly. Then in just the next instance, he stopped, suddenly still as a statue with eyes wide open. He raised his head slowly, staring straight ahead, as if he was trying to remember something important.

I remained silent the entire time, never taking my eyes off of him.

Then he spoke, in a very quiet, almost monotone voice. "...look...look at that brown piano...I really like it, mom..."

My eyes widened a little and I turned my head to where he was staring, but we were the only ones here.

"Mom...just back off...I need my space...why do you keep nagging, huh...?" He continued to mumble.

Realizing he was talking to himself, I turned back to watch him slowly straighten up.

"Mom...I need you...talk to me, tell me I'm not crazy...please, mom...say it....mom..." His voice got quieter and soon died out as tears started flowing down his face. "I'm sorry.......I'm so sorry......" He whispered.

I stared at him as he slowly turned to look at me with widened eyes. "...Jin hyung..."

"What?" I asked quietly.

"...where's Jungkook?"

I smiled very softly. "He's safe. He's waiting for you."

My friend slowly moved his gaze back to the burning piano. "...I want to talk to him. Now."

Before I could say anything more, it felt like the wind got taken out of me and it felt like I was falling once again. The image of Yoongi and the area we were in quickly vanished before my eyes and all that replaced it was darkness. I blinked several times and even moved my hands up to rub my eyes, trying to see some kind of image. Then after a few seconds I could; only a blurred image flooded in a pink florescent light. I didn’t expect it and jumped a little, reaching up to shield my eyes but now my movements were slower. Through my earnest efforts to blink away the blur in my eyes, it gradually faded away on its own and I could see where I was now.

 

I was in a small room that was much darker than I realized. The pink florescent light was coming from the window to my left. The only light coming from inside the room was from three lights hanging over a small bed. A tall lamp sat next to the bed. The bed was neatly made. I tried to turn my head to see more of the room but there was nothing else to see. No drawers, clothes, or even toys. Am I in a motel room? I thought.

 

A sudden loud thud caused me to turn toward the door to my right and it opened roughly. Yoongi came walking in and threw a bag onto the neatly made bed, the contents in the bad rattling around a bit as it hit the blanket. He looked like the perfect mixture between angry and sad. Realizing he couldn’t see me, I ignored my first impulse to say his name and just watched as he fell onto his bed, staring at the ground in front of him. He started fiddling with something in between his fingers. A lighter. He opened and closed the cap several times before silently bringing it up to his face and clicking it on. The small flame wobbled in front of him and he stared at it blankly. I got a whiff of gas and slowly moved my gaze to the bag sitting next to him. He slowly closed the cap, watching the flame die out, and seemed to come to a conclusion in his mind. He stood up and forced out the contents of the bag next to him: a small carton of kerosene and several more lighters.

 

Then his phone rang. He paused for only a moment before reaching down to pick up the small carton and opened the cap. His phone continued to ring nonstop as he walked around the small room, pouring out all of the kerosene and soaking everything he could. Once the last few drops dripped out, he climbed up onto the bed and held the lighter in his hand while surveying the entire room, as if he was trying to remember how it looked in that moment. Then, the instant his phone stopped ringing, he lit the lighter, and with a very deadened expression, threw it onto the soaked floor.

 

The room immediately burst into flames, Yoongi standing above them. He watched the fire spread quickly and crackle in its destruction. The expression on his face never changed or faltered, even as the flames started to spread up toward the bed he was standing on. Unable to look anymore, I forced my eyes shut, also feeling quite hot from the flames around me.

 

Taehyung…bring me back! Please! I don’t want to watch anymore!

 

I breathed in and out deeply, trying to calm down. And thankfully, as the seconds ticked by, I felt the air around me cool down and the crackling of the flames disappeared. I didn’t open my eyes again until it was completely quiet.