Chapter 6

Forgiveness : Broken Wings

Keeping my eyes on the standing piano, my feet slowly moved me closer to it. Once I got to the glass door enclosing the room, my hand reached up and touched the handle. But it wouldn’t move. The door was locked. Sighing quietly, I turned and moved to the side, staring into the room. A single red light was illuminating from the corner and I could see many record jackets on the shelves lining the walls. They, unlike the glass window I was looking through, were made of regular wood. Shortly my gaze moved back to the piano. Although nothing was happening, a shiver went down my spine. There was something about the piano that was making me feel uneasy, as if I’d seen a vision of it for a very short second but can’t remember when.

 

Then I heard footsteps behind me that sounded a couple times and then stopped. I let out a soft breath, preparing myself to face Yoongi. But before I could turn my head, the footsteps suddenly sped up and the sudden crack of breaking glass struck my ears. I jumped with widened eyes and immediately turned around.

 

“Hey, what the hell are you doing!?” I nearly screamed, truly frightened by the sudden loud noise.

 

Yoongi was indeed in front of me but soon wasn’t, walking right past me and pushing open the broken door. A small alarm sounded from the upper corner of the room but Yoongi wasn’t at all affected by it. He simply sat down on the piano chair and stared down at the keys, slowly moving one of his hands up to strum some of the keys lazily.

 

Once I felt calmer, I slowly entered the room as well, walking over to the side of the piano. “Yoongi…I’m glad I found you.” I murmured.

 

He didn’t respond or even look at me.

 

I blinked. “Hey. You can hear me right?” I leaned in a bit closer to him, trying to look into his eyes.

 

But he just kept playing, slowly moving his other hand onto the keys to add more notes to the song he was playing.

 

My eyes narrowed. “Are you seriously ignoring me?”

 

The only sound was the notes coming from his piano, but they had started to lose their power and started to fade away. This made Yoongi sigh deeply and stop playing, lowering his head. The annoying buzzing sound from the alarm was the only sound left now.

 

I took a deep breath and slowly reached out to touch his shoulder. “Hey Yoongi.” As soon as my fingers touched the fabric on his shirt, he flinched away, looking up me with nothing but shock in his tired eyes.

 

“Jin hyung.” He murmured. “It's you."

 

“Yes, I know.” I answered quietly, moving my hand away after he reacted so negatively to my touch. “But—“

 

“I’m busy.” Yoongi moved his gaze back to the keys on the piano but didn’t move his hands.

 

“Yeah well I need to talk to you.”

 

“I have to work.”

 

“Surely you can spare a moment for your hyung…”

 

“I have to work.” He repeated. His voice was dead and lifeless and certainly didn’t sound like he was ready to do any kind of work.

 

“Yoongi—“

 

“I have to finish this song!” He snapped, turning his angry gaze to mine. “It’s important!”

 

“Okay, okay…” I slowly held my hands up. “But when you’re finished…I need to talk to you. Okay?”

 

“Fine.” He mumbled and slowly brought his hands back up to play some more keys.

 

As he continued, I lingered around and let my gaze wander around the room, occasionally shooting an annoyed glance at the buzzing alarm.

 

“Why can’t I get it right…” Yoongi mumbled after a minute.

 

I looked back at him. “Hitting a dry patch?”

 

He didn’t respond, plucking at a couple more keys before giving up and standing up. “I need some fresh air.” Before I could stop him, he turned around and walked back out of the room, brushing right past the broken glass door.

 

“H-hey, wait! Yoongi! Hey!” I shouted, running out after him.

 

As he walked down the empty road, I picked up my pace to catch up next to him. “Can I talk to you now?”

 

“I want to be alone.” Yoongi responded, keeping his gaze focused on the empty road in front of us.

 

“But I have to talk to you! You said I could!”

 

“I don’t want to talk to you.”

 

“Why not!? I’m your friend, aren’t I!?” I got angry and stood right in front of him, making him stop and sigh deeply. “Why are you acting like this, huh? It’s rude!”

 

“Get out of my way, hyung.” He mumbled, keeping his gaze down.

 

“No.” I narrowed my eyes. “I’m here to help you.”

 

“WHAT IF I DON’T WANT YOUR HELP!? He shouted right in my face.

 

This took me aback and I couldn’t speak immediately after. He glared at me for another few seconds before turning to walk around me while I stared ahead in shock. After swallowing and taking in a shaky breath, I began to speak again. “Yoongi—“

 

Then I froze. My eyes went wide. I saw the brown piano. It was bursting through flames right in front of me. I heard a soft sigh that wasn’t mine or Yoongi’s pass through my ears. It seemed to be crying. I saw water bubbling out of a large bathtub, all while the crickets continued to sing their songs around me. Then I saw the same empty dark road.

 

“Wha…” I blinked and wavered a little.

 

“Just get out.” Yoongi said with a low, raspy voice. “I just want to be alone.”

 

Before I could respond, a pair of two bright lights suddenly appeared across the dark road, causing the both of us to turn toward it. We quickly realized it was a speeding car as the horn rang loudly. The both of us quickly dodged it, staring at it as it continued to speed down the empty dark street.

 

I watched it go breathlessly before slowly turning to Yoongi. There was an unreadable expression on his face. He couldn’t take his gaze off of the car that had disappeared as quickly as it appeared. Then his feet started moving, soon breaking into a run as he ran back toward the small room where I first woke up. Not bothering to say anything, I followed right behind him, thankful I could still run and not feel like I was moving through molasses yet.