Chapter 5

Forgiveness : Broken Wings

I didn't hear anything until around ten seconds later. It was the sound of running water and it gradually got louder as the seconds ticked by. I slowly opened my eyes. I noticed I wasn't drenched in water anymore and standing in a very small, dark room. The only light was coming from the ceiling, a fluorescent, light blue light. Upon hearing soft, forced breath, my head turned to the left, once again feeling like I was moving through molasses. But I could see the scene in front of me perfectly clear.

 

Jimin was leaning against the side of a bathtub overflowing with water running from the metal faucet. Every part of him was soaking wet and he was shivering, holding his arms limply across his chest. There was a dull expression on his face, almost as if he was slightly annoyed about something. My gaze moved toward several pieces of paper spread out on the wet floor and I quickly realized they were soaked polaroid pictures. Unfortunately, I couldn't make out any of the images. Then Jimin shakily grabbed onto the edge of the bathtub and pulled himself up. To my surprise, he lowered himself back into the water as splashes covered more of the already soaked bathroom floor. His expression was that of complete pain. His face scrunched up so tightly that I thought it was going to rip apart. He thrashed around in the tub, letting out a long, strained scream. Every part of me wanted to pull him out but at the same time, I couldn't move. I felt like I could only watch in pain as my friend continued to convulse.

 

After a few minutes that felt like hours, Jimin had begun to get a little more still. He was still breathing in and out sharply and the look of pain never left his face. Then he slowly sat up and leaned over to turn off the faucet. Silence filled the room for only a moment before Jimin slowly reached over, toward me. I blinked, not sure if he could see me or not, and he grabbed another dry Polaroid picture that was sitting on the counter beside the bathtub. He also grabbed a small lighter. He stared at the snapshot for several seconds, fidgeting with the lighter between his fingers. I tried to move closer to see the picture clearly, but because of my slowed down movements, I could only catch a very brief glimpse. There were several people in the picture, all gathered together to get their picture taken by the cameraman. Then Jimin clicked on the lighter and brought the small flame up to the corner of the picture. The fire spread instantly and Jimin slowly moved his arm over the side of the bathtub, letting the burning picture fall to the floor without giving it another glance.

 

As the fire vanished instantly after touching the water-soaked floor, Jimin let out a long, deep sigh and leaned back against the bathtub, closing his eyes and letting himself sink toward the bottom. I kept my eyes on him as his face disappeared along with the top of his head. He didn't come up after that.

 

And then my vision went dark again. My body felt weirdly tingly. Then I was back in the fancy room, and Taehyung was there to greet me with a pleasant smile.

 

"You're doing great, hyung." He said. "Two down, three to go."

 

"I could do without all the sensational transitions though." I sighed quietly and rubbed the side of my head.

 

"I can't do anything about those. You travel a long way to get from here to their sections of hell, so what you're feeling is just the effects of the transportation."

 

I nodded. "Jimin is here now, right?" I glanced behind Taehyung into the other room.

 

Taehyung nodded. "Safe and sound."

 

"...I see them...after I save them."

 

Taehyung cocked his head, looking at me questionably.

 

"I mean, I can see them, but they can't see me. And...it seems like..." Thinking back to seeing Jungkook get hit by the speeding car and Jimin drowning himself in his own bathtub made me very sentimental.

 

"You saw how they killed themselves, right?" Taehyung asked.

 

I nodded, moving my gaze to the floor. "I couldn't do anything to stop them. Just watch..."

 

"Because there's nothing you could have done." Taehyung responded. "You weren't there when you were living. But now that you are saving them now, you get to see how they ended up in Hell."

 

"Still...it's so hard to watch."

 

"It's okay, hyung. It'll all be worth it in the end." Taehyung motioned me to follow him as he walked out of the room. "I found Yoongi hyung next." He added.

 

My eyes widened as I caught up with him. "Yoongi? Great! Jungkook will be so happy."

 

"I have to warn you, hyung." Taehyung stopped and turned around to look at me. "He's really hurting. It might be a little more difficult to save him."

 

"Why?"

 

"He's really out of touch with himself. Doesn't remember a lot of things. To be successful with him, you should try really hard."

 

"That's helpful." My eyes narrowed. "Can't you give me some kind of better advise?"

 

"I'm sorry, I can only tell you certain things. Because Abraxas is watching over us right now. He wants you to figure it out yourself." Taehyung took a step closer to me and covered my eyes with his hands once again. "Good luck, hyung. Really."

 

I let my eyes close and braced for the impending tremors to run through my body. This time it lasted almost three minutes, during which I couldn't get used to at all. Then I practically cried out in pain as I suddenly hit what felt like concrete. My whole back stung with pain and my eyes clamped shut, a small groan vibrated from my slightly opened mouth. When I opened my eyes, I was looking up into a dark sky filled with very small stars shining through a cloudless sky. Crickets chirped around me faintly, making me feel very confused. Am I in the right place...? I pulled myself up and looked around me. What caught my full attention was a very small building, almost like a small, personal garage with glass windows and a closed door like a small shop, standing a few feet away. I could see many small things resting on shelves and a bit messily on the floor. And in the center of the room was the object that sent a familiar shiver down my spine.

 

A brown piano.