Chapter 4

Forgiveness : Broken Wings

We walked right into a slightly bigger room, this time with fewer pieces of furniture but the same fancy aura was present. Taehyung stopped walking and soon I did too, following my gaze to where he was looking, then a small gasp escaped my slightly parted lips. Jungkook was suspended in midair. His body was free of any blood or even discomfort. There was no trace of pain on his face and his closed eyes remained closed.

 

"...W-why is he still here? If I save him like you said?" I asked Taehyung, keeping my widened gaze on Jungkook.

 

"The ones you save one-by-one will appear here and they’ll stay here until you complete your mission. Then we can all go to Heaven together." Taehyung replied.

 

I swallowed and slowly glanced in his direction. "So you know about the mission Abraxas gave me?"

 

Taehyung nodded. "I'll help you out."

 

I had to admit it felt so relieving to hear that. "Thanks." I sighed a little and smiled.

 

"Come on, let's go." He pulled on my sleeve once and turned around.

 

My gaze moved back to Jungkook and I remained standing for a moment.

 

"Don't worry about him, hyung." Taehyung said, standing at the entrance to the room. "He's not in any pain right now, and like I said, once you save everyone else, we'll all go to Heaven together, okay?"

 

After another couple seconds, I breathed out another soft sigh and turned toward Taehyung.

 

The two of us walked out of the room and back into the room.

 

"I found the place where Jimin is trapped in hell." Taehyung turned to face me. "I can take you there myself, but I can't physically go with you."

 

I blinked. "But you said you will help me."

 

"This is all I can do to help you."

 

My eyebrow arched. "So I still have to save everyone on my own?"

 

"You'll be fine, hyung." Taehyung chuckled.

 

"Wait a minute, then how are you even here?" I searched his face, now very suspicious. "Abraxas said that you committed suicide along with everyone else, so how is it that I'm seeing you here right now?"

 

"You shouldn't believe everything Abraxas said." Taehyung said simply and raised his hands toward my face.

 

Before I could form a response, his hands covered both of my eyes and it felt like I was falling again. Falling fast and into a deep, deep slumber. My body felt very heavy and then very light. Darkness covered my vision but my body felt like it was immersed in water. Then my whole body twitched. A single vision of a burning piano flashed before my eyes and a flat chord erupted in my ears. My mouth fell open and a choked cry sounded through the water. I could feel the bubbles zigzagging out from my open mouth. Then there was darkness again. I anticipated not being able to breathe but they kept flowing, making my chest move steadily up and down. I kept my eyes tightly closed, in fear of another heart-racing image crossing my vision. Soon the anxiety became too much for me and I started to wave my arms blindly in front of me. The only thing I wanted to do was escape from this seemingly water prison. The tips of my fingers suddenly felt air when I pushed my hand above my head and I forced my legs to push me up. My hands came down to my sides and my head emerged out of the water.

 

The cold air around me actually felt relaxing as I gasped for breath I didn't need to be gasping for. I quickly rubbed the water out of my eyes and pushed back the soaked locks of my hair. Blinking my eyes open, I quickly looked around and was immediately blinded by the bright, fluorescent blue light illuminating above me. After rubbing my eyes a second time, I tried to establish where I was. The first thing I noticed quickly was that I was sitting in a large bathtub full of water that was quickly getting cold. I climbed out, shaking a little from the cold air. The room I was in seemed to go on for miles and I couldn't see any doors or windows. Rubbing my arms for warmth, I turned around and suddenly saw something other than the big bathtub.

 

There were two white beds, kind of like hospital beds, positioned a small distance away from me. One of them was empty, without any pillows or sheets covering it. And the other bed was taken by my other friend who was not looking at me. His gaze remained straight ahead and no movement came from his still body. He looked like he was deep in thought about something. I swallowed and took a couple soft steps closer to him, not knowing how he'll react seeing me.

 

"H-hey Jimin." My voice shook a little because of my shivering.

 

Jimin's eyebrow narrowed only a little and his head turned in my direction. When his eyes met mine, there didn't seem to be a change in attitude in his eyes.

 

"Oh hyung." He spoke quietly. "Are you okay?"

 

"Well it's a bit cold in here, but yeah.. I'm fine. Especially now that I found you." I tried to smile but it probably came across as a smirk.

 

Jimin let out a very small, dry chuckle and moved his gaze down. "Sorry about that. It doesn't feel cold to me."

 

"Whatever, I'll be okay."

 

Jimin nodded. "...you know...I missed you a lot."

 

My eyes softened despite my constant shivering. "Did you?"

 

Jimin nodded again. "The only thing I ever wanted...was to hang out with you and the others for the rest of my life. I thought we'd all be friends forever, you know?"

 

"...I guess nothing really lasts. In some worlds, anyway."

 

Jimin glanced at me. "What do you mean by that?"

 

"...I mean just because something ended in one world...doesn't mean it can't last forever in another world."

 

A glimmer of confusion glazed over Jimin's face for only a few seconds before he blinked it away and sighed. "That's just a lie."

 

My eyes widened. "What? How do you know that?"

 

"You died, hyung. That's it. Now my wish can't ever come true."

 

"That's not true! You can't think like that! What about our friends, Jimin? Huh?"

 

Jimin went quiet for a moment and slowly moved his gaze to the other bed positioned next to his.

 

I glanced at it too, then back at Jimin. "Who's bed is that?"

 

"...I don't know." Jimin replied quietly.

 

I sighed, wiping more water away from the bangs on my forehead. "Jimin, please listen to me. You don't have to stay here. You don't have to be sad like this. Don't you want to go to a warmer place?"

 

A dry chuckle came out of my friend's lips. "I'm not sad."

 

"How can you not be sad?!" My patience was starting to run thin. "Stop lying! It's what's keeping you trapped here! Can't you see I just want to help you?!"

 

Jimin didn't respond, which only worried me more. I was still shivering and only getting colder. In the corner of my eyes, I could see the room slowly getting darker too.

 

"Just because a person dies doesn't mean they still can't help you." I walked right up to the side of his bed and pulled on his arm, forcing him to meet my eyes. "I'm your friend, Jimin. I'll never stop helping you."

 

Jimin slowly met my eyes and continued to stay silent. The darkness continued to creep closer and closer toward us.

 

"...there's a better place than here." I continued. "Where do you want to go? I'll go there with you."

 

Something in Jimin's eyes seemed to snap. Tears slowly welled up in his widened eyes. The dead look was completely gone.

 

"...the forest." He almost whispered.

 

"The forest?" My eyebrow rose.

 

"It's quiet and peaceful. We can do whatever we want there." I felt Jimin's hand clutch onto my shirt. "Hyung...I want to go there." A couple tears fell down his cheeks.

 

The darkness was now dangerously close to us, surrounding us on all sides. Thinking quickly, I tugged on Jimin's arm and ran with him back toward the large bathtub. "Hold your breath and jump!" I shouted. The two of us leaped into the water. The splash echoed in our ears followed by many bubbles. I kept my hand secretly attached to Jimin's, who had started tossing around. I opened my eyes and looked at him, tugging at his hand to look at me. When our eyes met, the darkness covered up both of our visions and we couldn't see, hear, or move. Everything went silent.