Chapter 2

Forgiveness : Broken Wings

I don't really remember opening the door. My hand touched the knob but it felt like everything around me stalled for only a second. Then I was standing in a dark room with only one dim light shining down from the ceiling.

 

Blinking, getting used to my sudden change of surroundings, my eyes scanned around the room. There was nothing else I could see besides the old-fashioned bed positioned in the center of the room above the brown, wooden floor. 

 

I took a couple steps closer and noticed someone else sleeping on the bed. 

 

It was Jungkook, wearing a clean white formal shirt and his short brown bangs resting calmly on his forehead. 

 

He looked exactly how I remembered him, although it wasn't so long ago since I last saw him. 

 

'Is this really Hell? It doesn't seem too bad...' I took another quiet step closer to the bed. 

 

Jungkook was breathing a little sharply in his sleep but it suddenly hitched and his head turned to the side, his face contorted in pain. I frowned, moving even closer and sitting down on the side of the bed. "Is it a bad dream?" I asked quietly. My hand moved to gently touch his arm when his eyes shot open. 

 

"No!" His voice was raspy and came out more like a squeak. Upon seeing me hovering over him, he let out another small shriek and sat up, trying to move away from me. 

 

"H-hey Jungkook, it's me!" I tried to grab his hand but he jumped out of the bed and tripped, landing on the wooden floor and staring up at me fearfully. 

 

"Jungkook, what's wrong with you?! It's me, Jin!!" I didn't mean to raise my voice but seeing my friend so scared of me only made me scared and angry.

 

"H...how?" Jungkook seemed frozen, starting up at me with unblinking eyes. 

 

"What do you mean 'how'?" I snapped again. 

 

"But...y-you...."

 

"I what?" 

 

"You died!" Jungkook slowly stood up. "I...is this a dream?"

 

Thinking back to what Abraxas said about him and the rest of my friends being unaware that they died, I immediately calmed down and closed my eyes.

 

"...yes." I answered finally. "It's kind of a dream."

 

Jungkook blinked and nodded. "Right...it makes sense." He lowered his head. "Hyung..."

 

"What?" I asked. 

 

Jungkook didn't answer for a long time, just started at the wooden floor. I couldn't tell what he was thinking but it felt like the air in the room changed again. There was a sudden chill that brushed my shoulders that made me glance around the room. There were no windows. 

 

"...Yoongi hyung..." There was a small crack in Jungkook's quiet voice. "...he's really angry..."

 

"Yoongi?" One of my eyebrows raised at the mention of our other friend. "Why is he angry?"

 

Jungkook's head lowered a little more. A sudden crackle of thunder made me jump and look at the ceiling. Rain started to fall all around us but we managed to stay dry. 

 

"Jin hyung...I want to help him," Jungkook closed his eyes as tears started to well in them. "B-but he hates me. He just ignores me a-and hits me." He sniffed lightly and rubbed his sleeve over his nostrils. "Why is he like that to me? Why? I just want to help him." Jungkook crosses his arms over his chest and cries even more. 

 

Another crackle of thunder echoed above us. 

 

I sighed quietly and walked closer to him. "You want to help him but he's angry at you?"

 

Jungkook nodded and sniffed again. 

 

"I don't know what happened but he's probably not angry at you." I said gently, reaching up to touch his arm. 

 

Jungkook shook his head and moved away from me. "I see fire. And blood." Tears were rolling down his face now. "He's in trouble, hyung. But what can I do?! He just pushes me away!" He cried harder and continuously rubbed his eyes and nostrils. 

 

I didn't know what to say but my natural instinct to be comforting took over. I got closer to him and wrapped my arm over his upper back, pulling him into a gentle hug. 

 

He squirmed as if my arms were making him burn. 

 

"Please don't cry." I murmured. "I know you want to see Yoongi now but at least I'm here, right? You can help me all you want. And I know Yoongi will definitely get over himself and start talking to you again. Okay?"

 

"How can you say that so assuringly?" Jungkook asked bitterly, trying to pushing himself away from me, but I held him tightly in place. 

 

"Because I know him. And you. We're all friends and we'll get over small fights like we always do."

 

Jungkook was silent after that, still sniffing and trying, although not as desperately, to pull away from my embrace.

 

Suddenly, another shift in the air made my gaze shift to the wooden floor behind Jungkook. My eyes widened as I saw his shadow start to grow farther across the floor and into the shape of a bird slowing opening up its wings. I didn't know what this meant exactly, but panic flooded into my mind and I held Jungkook tighter. 

 

"I-It’s been difficult, hasn't it?" I asked, trying to keep my voice steady. 

 

At first, I got silence as an immediate answer. "... I want to help Yoongi hyung." When he spoke, there was a sudden change in his voice. It was no longer weak and shaking, but eerily monotone and neutral.

 

The shadow only grew bigger and the bird seemed to be stretching out even further. I even heard a soft, echoey screech that seemed to come from far away. 

 

Thinking I had only a limited time left, I pulled away to look at Jungkook's face. "Hey, look at me!" I shook him a little. My chest felt colder looking at his suddenly dead expression. "Jungkook, don't you dare leave me! Don't give up on yourself just to make someone else happy! That's not love, that's just insanity!" I shook him again until his eyelids twitched slightly and his eyes blinked out a couple more smaller tears. 

 

"You should also appreciate the ones who still love you and don't block them out! You hear me?" I stared hard into his eyes.

 

The room had gotten noticeable colder within the last minute and the light had completely faded away. There was no light to see anything by at this point but I forced my gaze to stay locked on Jungkook's eyes. 

 

"I'm still here." I said more gently. "And I always will be."

 

More silence followed and I could feel the coldness of the room starting to seep into my body. I started to shiver and suddenly felt really weak. My grip on Jungkook's arms slowly loosened as a shaky breath left my lips. 

 

I felt sleep overcoming my mind and I easily succumbed to it, feeling my body fall backward. The only sound I heard then was a small, quiet voice. 

 

"Hyung..."