Chapter 3

Forgiveness : Broken Wings

After feeling like being suspended in a ball of zero gravity for several seconds, I felt something slowly start to creep back through my body that felt like a small shot of adrenaline mixed with the prickly sensation of rushing blood. It made my entire body twitch, causing me to let out a small gasp.

 

My eyes opened and then narrowed in drowsy confusion. I was not in the same room as I was before. I was now standing in a smaller room with graffiti-covered white walls and only a small couch to my right. To my left there was a staircase leading up to a room with a bright light shining out it.

 

I blinked slowly and turned, hearing faint sounds coming from my right. I saw another closed door with a bright light illuminating through the crack at the bottom. There was laughter and faint chatter coming from behind the closed door and all sounded like guys.

 

My eyes narrowed again. This all seemed very familiar to me somehow, but before I could recall why, several loud running footsteps made me turn toward the staircase with widened eyes.

 

Two guys came running into the room, laughing loudly and wrestling with each other playfully. The one with light brown hair was smiling the most as he pushed the other one with slightly darker brown hair toward the couch, causing me to move out of the way before he crashed into me.

 

My gaze remained fixed on the laughing brown haired boy who, even though was clearly Jungkook, looked so strange smiling so widely when he was crying just moments ago. My confusion only grew.

 

"Jungkook..." I felt my mouth move but no voice came out.

 

Jungkook's gaze remained fixed on the other guy, who sprang up from the couch and landed a clumsy fist punch that made Jungkook's head snap violently to the side. He stumbled back a little, holding his now bleeding lip and staring at the other with slightly widened eyes.

 

The other guy was our other friend, Yoongi, who was quite close with Jungkook among all of us, but there was nothing but shock in my eyes watching him hit our friend like he just did. Why the hell would he do that?

 

Then Yoongi turned around and threw his hands across one of the desks, making the plates and plastic cups full of liquid in them fly off and splatter all over the wall and floor. Without giving the fresh mess on the ground a second glance, he turned again to strut back toward the stairs. But Jungkook was quick to react and threw his arms around Yoongi, pushing him back toward the staircase. It looked like he was restraining him by the concentrated, desperate look on his face but Yoongi did something strange. He laughed, as if Jungkook just told him a funny joke. Then Jungkook pushed him away and threw a punch at his face. Yoongi fell backwards and hit the bottom stair.

 

Jungkook was breathing heavily, his lip swollen and dropping with blood. His eyes seemed wetter too and his smile was completely gone.

 

Yoongi was still for only a moment until springing up, grabbing Jungkook by his jacket, and throwing him onto the ground roughly. A pained grimace washed over Jungkook's face as the back of his head hit the wall.

 

Yoongi cowered over him, grabbed his jacket once more, and delivered another sickening punch to Jungkook's face, causing his head to snap to the side again.

 

After the echo of the punch faded away, there was only Yoongi's rough breathing that filled the room. He slowly backed away from Jungkook with an expression I couldn't read very well. Then he turned around and walked toward the stairs, climbing up them as the light coming from the top shined down on him until he couldn’t be seen anymore.

 

My gaze lingered on the stairs for only a second before I turned to Jungkook. Then I was right in front of him, kneeling down to try to meet his eyes, but he wouldn't look right at me. He wasn't looking at anything. There was a deadness in his gaze that made feel very upset. The side of his face where Yoongi punched it was scratched and also bleeding.

 

"Jungkook." I tried to speak again but it was useless. My voice still failed to work.

 

Jungkook slowly stood up with very wet eyes and didn't bother to wipe the blood from his face as he slowly walked toward the closed door behind us. My mouth was moving as I watched him go, trying to call out to him. I took a couple steps forward but it suddenly felt like I was stepping through molasses.

 

Then my eyes hurt as the area around me changed right in front of my eyes. I was now looking at a street at night as several cars were zooming by on the dark road. To my right walked out Jungkook, and I could catch a glimpse of the dead look on his face as his absentmindedly walked out into the middle of the street. A pair of bright lights coming from the side got brighter and brighter, illuminating Jungkook's face as he slowly turned toward the car speeding up toward him. My hand reached forward and I wanted to scream, but there was nothing I could do except watch helplessly as my dear friend's body flew off the ground after the car crashed into him with a sickeningly loud crack.

 

My vision failed at that moment and I could only see black with silence as my only company. I cried, complexly filled with grief and regret. And then I felt a gentle hand on my shoulder. I blinked, realizing my eyes were closed and some tears dropped out of them. I looked up quickly, barely registering that I was in a fancier room, not unlike the first room I woke up in, and felt a sense of safety and comfort. But the person with light blonde hair smiling in front of me with brown eyes made a chill run down my spine.

 

"T-Taehyung." I studdered, my voice slightly cracked, but at least it was working now, as my other friend's face filled up my whole vision.

 

Taehyung smiled even bigger. "Hi hyung."

 

"Jungkook...where is he?" My tired gaze searched the room but I only saw fancy wallpaper and furniture.

 

"Don't worry, he's okay now." Taehyung patted my shoulder and offered me his hand after standing up.

 

I grabbed onto his hand and stood up, wobbling a little. "B-but...I saw him..."

 

"You saved him."

 

I blinked. "I did?"

 

Taehyung nodded. "And pretty easily too. Good job."

 

"Then...where is he? Is he here?"

 

"Kind of."

 

"Kind of?" My eyebrow rose.

 

Taehyung chuckled and motioned me to follow him out of the room. I did after a couple seconds, keeping my gaze on him, hoping he wouldn't fade away.